The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 284 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#397420 07/30/13 11:29 AM
Nataly Offline OP
OP Offline
It is impossible to understand the whole deepness and beauty of icons. But we can try with the help of a famous book by Leonid Ouspensky and Vladimir Lossky
http://books.google.ru/books?id=iqn...q=the%20meaning%20of%20icons&f=false

A
A
I personally like the lessons taught through iconography but I also feel that sometimes we read more into them than we ought

A
A
I like the deep spiritual format of icons but feel that there is something to be learned about religious imagery in general.

A
A
I am a bit confused by the HO ON in the Cross surrounding the head of Christ - it seems the King James Version indicated the symbol as "I Am" due to the fact that Western Christianity does not understand the Greek alphabet or symbolism

A
A
Just for a point of clarification, I did not mean to imply that Western Christianity does not seem to understand the Greek symbolism., but that the Western Church relies on imagery in a different manner (statues, holy pictures, etc.) but I do know that some of the symbols (such as Chi Rho and the Alpha and the Omega) are not completely foreign to Western Christianity. For exampole, Our Lady of Perpetual Help icon is deeply revered in the Western Church, although few people are aware of the deep symbolism in the icon.

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.