The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
jvenner Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a question on the differences between the pre-Nikon liturgy and the post-Nikon liturgy. As a Greek Catholic it is my understanding that we use the pre-Nikon liturgy, but I have attended my Orthodox liturgies and can't tell the differences between our liturgy and theirs? I know that there are differences in how the sign of the cross is done and how many alleluias are said, but apart from that I haven't been able to find an explanation of the differences in the divine liturgy itself. Could someone point out the differences to me? Thanks.

Jesse

Last edited by jvenner; 01/04/12 09:11 AM.
S
S
Not all Greek Catholics, only the Ruthenians (i.e., the Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Church and the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church). The Russian Greek Catholic Church uses the same post-reform liturgy as the Russian Orthodox, while the Melkites use the same liturgy as the Antiochian Orthodox Church; the Hellenic Catholic and the Italo-Albanian Greek Catholic Churches the same liturgy as the Greek Orthodox Church; the Romanian Greek Catholic Church the same liturgy as the Romanian Orthodox Church, and so forth among the Catholic Churches using the Byzantine rite.

C
C
The Ruthenians do NOT use the pre-Nikonian Liturgy. There were a handful of pre-Nikonian elements used in the Ruthenian churches before and after the Unia--some translations, some rubrics--but overall the Ruthenian churches used the same Liturgy as the Greek and "Great Russian" churches. The current Roman Ruthenian editions are pretty darn close to the Nikonian recension. So, today, there is almost no difference between the text of the Liturgy as used in the Russian Orthodox Church and the official Ruthenian Recension books.

Fr. David

Last edited by Chtec; 01/04/12 10:07 PM.
S
S
Considering the dates of the Unia (1596 and 1646), and the date of the Nikonian Reforms (post 1650), that's a little hard to sustain. A comparison of the Slavonic Recension and the 1629 Peter Moghila Liturgicon shows more than a handful of common elements. Also, it's really impossible to speak of "the" Pre-Nikonian Liturgy", because there were different pre-Nikonian Liturgies, each dependent on regional variations among manuscripts.

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.