The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
TAFrazer, PNCC Random Guy, Coldstream, CA_Avgvstinus, goalie31
5,767 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 113 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Byzantine Nebraska
Byzantine Nebraska
by orthodoxsinner2, December 11
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
by Santiago Tarsicio, March 17
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
by JLF, November 10
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Upgraded Russian icon corner
by The young fogey, October 20
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,055
Posts414,076
Members5,767
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Thread Like Summary
Collin Nunis, Edward H (Irish_Ruthenian)
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#420909 02/01/2021 3:33 AM
by Percy Gryce
Percy Gryce
Anyone know why Pope Francis removed Michel Abrass as archbishop of Tyre (for the Melkite Greek Catholics)?

https://press.vatican.va/content/salastampa/it/bollettino/pubblico/2021/01/31/0062/00128.html
Liked Replies
by theophan
theophan
Christ is in our midst!!

Having thought about this situation and re-evaluating my own contribution, I have reflected on a saying in the Desert Fathers. The remark is that we should not be surprised at the downfall of a brother in the Faith, but we should be surprised when one is able to escape the jaws of the Enemy. My prayers go out to His Grace, Abp Michel Abrass. He is, like each of us a man who was tempted and has fallen. I pray for his immortal soul because of the damage he did to his flock, the woman he was involved with, and himself.

My knee jerk reaction to immediately go to the example of the Eastern Churches not in communion with Rome and him was off the mark, not knowing he was, himself, a monastic. Vows and a habit do not shield one from either temptation or a fall; nor does ordination or episcopal status.

We need to pray for our clergy and each other. Like other clergy scandals, the only one who wins is the secular world that mocks us and the Enemy.

Each of us has some weakness he/she must wrestle with. It's well to remember a line from the movie, Dr. Zhivago, where the young woman finishes her confession and the priest tells her that "the flesh is strong, not weak." We are in a constant struggle until our last breath in taming it.
1 member likes this
by Protopappas76
Protopappas76
No, it isn't the way the Church should work!

Regarding the statement of Filipe YTOL: " the overall impression was pretty negative about the state of the hierarchy of the Melkite church [sic]" ("church" should read Church), our hierarchy, like any group of people, has its faults and failures. However, if this is the Roman dicastries who are casting stones eastward maybe they ought to clean up their own act first. While our Melkite hierarchy and clergy may have its problems(and, we sadly do), I don't think we have seen the level of corruption, pedophilia, rape, homosexual behavior, financial corruption, and even theological heresy that sadly continues to plague the Roman Church. But, to quote one prominent Latin hierarch: "Who am I to judge?"

May God be merciful to us sinners.
1 member likes this
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2020 (Forum 1998-2020). All rights reserved.