www.byzcath.org
Posted By: sielos ilgesys Pope Benedict's gift to Metr. William - 06/28/12 12:35 PM
I have been credibly informed that at tomorrow's ceremony, the Holy Father will present the omophorion of the Eastern Church to Metr. William instead of the Latin Church pallium.
Wouldn't that be interesting ...
What's this in aid of? The Metropolitan (Axios!) received one on the day of his episcopal consecration. May I suggest as an alternative that the pope say to me, "You have YOUR lung, now breathe FREELY with it!"
While I feel strongly about the ongoing need for our Churches o be recognized by Rome as equal and not subservient, might I suggest an alternative to kvetching at news such as this. Instead, we might jot down, remember, and celebrate each act which manages to demonstrate a bit more enlightenment on Rome's part. Enough such acts and we'll get to where we ought to be.

Slowly, surely, baby steps, but God has not given us to expect that things will always be easy.

Many years,

Neil
Originally Posted by Irish Melkite
While I feel strongly about the ongoing need for our Churches o be recognized by Rome as equal and not subservient, might I suggest an alternative to kvetching at news such as this. Instead, we might jot down, remember, and celebrate each act which manages to demonstrate a bit more enlightenment on Rome's part. Enough such acts and we'll get to where we ought to be.


Neil and friends, FWIW I could not agree more. I would see this as one of those cherished "baby steps", and do hope it inches us forward in our Communion.
Posted By: defreitas Re: Pope Benedict's gift to Metr. William - 06/28/12 04:13 PM
Dear friends:

Considering that the Pallium is actually a relic of the Apostle Peter it should be regarded with some reverence.

It is of course also a visible sign of the communion of faith between the Pope of Rome and Archbishops and Metropolitans.

In the beginning all that was required was that the Archbishop or Metropolitan formally request the Pallium from Rome and it was sent to them upon their installations.

It was rarely imposed personally by the Pope in Rome.

It was unfortunate that recent Popes decided to transform it into some kind of object of submission.

I understand that Pope Benedict has been trying to change that.

I regard the fact that the Pope has now determined to give Eastern Hierarchs a Pallium more in keeping with their liturgical dress to be a great advancement.

I hope everyone sees it as such.


Let’s hope the submission aspects are eventually done away with.


Sincerely
José

Posted By: Paul B Re: Pope Benedict's gift to Metr. William - 06/28/12 09:06 PM
I suggest that everyone hold their opinions until you see it. It will be broadcast on EWTN at 3:00 AM and again at 5:30 pm on Friday, June 29, Feast of Saints Peter and Paul. The times stated are Eastern.
Posted By: Pop Re: Pope Benedict's gift to Metr. William - 06/29/12 06:42 AM
Have previous Metropolitans received the omophorian from the pope?
Posted By: Pani Rose Re: Pope Benedict's gift to Metr. William - 06/29/12 07:34 AM
THEY DID! THEY DID!
Originally Posted by Pani Rose
THEY DID! THEY DID!


They did, indeed! (although I relied on my DVR to catch it - hope you got some rest afterward, Pani Rose!)
Posted By: ag_vn Photos - 06/29/12 12:48 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/047d6gZexSdjD/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0fQl7Nabcn6Vv/610x.jpg
Posted By: sielos ilgesys Re: Photos - 06/29/12 02:46 PM
Looks a lot swankier than a pallium, however much respect and reverence they deserve...I wonder what metropolitan-archbishops do if they lose or misplace their pallium...
Thanks for posting these still photos. I thought the second one was particularly striking.
Posted By: StuartK Re: Pope Benedict's gift to Metr. William - 06/29/12 05:20 PM
I hope it came with a receipt so he can return it.
Posted By: antv Re: Pope Benedict's gift to Metr. William - 06/29/12 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Ot'ets Nastoiatel'
What's this in aid of? The Metropolitan (Axios!) received one on the day of his episcopal consecration.


You are right.
However a ceremony of imposition of a new omophorion was necessary because, according to the Ukrainan uses, the bars in the bottom of such vestment had passed from three to four bars, to shown the new role of metropolitan

(At least so I suppose, the images are not clear on this particular)
Posted By: StuartK Re: Pope Benedict's gift to Metr. William - 06/29/12 08:55 PM
The number of bars, or "fonts" is not something embedded in Holy Tradition, but simply a custom that arose among status conscious hierarchs.
Posted By: Pani Rose Re: Pope Benedict's gift to Metr. William - 06/30/12 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by Curious Joe
Originally Posted by Pani Rose
THEY DID! THEY DID!


They did, indeed! (although I relied on my DVR to catch it - hope you got some rest afterward, Pani Rose!)


Nope! But enjoyed watching him receive it. Just the look on his face as they did the close up of them processing in, was worth $$$$$$. It was like, how did I get here?
Posted By: Pop Re: Pope Benedict's gift to Metr. William - 06/30/12 03:55 AM
I am confused. Why would an Eastern hierarch who is given the omophorion at his Ordination as part of the vestments of his office and ministry have it reimposed on him?

Metropolitan William has worn the omophorion since his ordination as bishop.

Since the pallium is a Latin vestment only given to Roman archbishops who head a province of the Roman Church why would a Metropolitan-Archbishop, head of a sui-juris Church be given either palluim or omophorion?

This was done in the presence of a delegation from the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Rome with salutations from the EP for the feast of the Apostels Peter and Paul. What does this say to the Orthodox regarding the fears they have about reunion through "sumbmission" to Rome?
Maybe more like, "what am I doing here?" Kinda like the expressions on the faces of a bride and/or groom at many a wedding.
Posted By: theophan Re: Pope Benedict's gift to Metr. William - 06/30/12 12:37 PM
Glory be to Jesus Christ!!

Why do they continue to do this stuff in Rome? I just don't get it.

Look at the vesture of Pope Benedict and his Masters of Ceremony. Does it say "Pio Nono" to you?

Maybe what is needed is for everyone in rome to read the Circular Letter of the Eastern Patriarchs (1848) to Pio Nono each time they get ready to do or say or act to or toward a member of the Eastern Catholic Churches, and especially when they begin to have any interaction with members of the Orthodox Churches.

In Christ,

Bob
I reckon a Byzantine bishop can never have too many omophoria - besides, because of their size, they're harder to misplace than the Latin pallium.
Posted By: Garajotsi Re: Pope Benedict's gift to Metr. William - 06/30/12 01:30 PM
Slava Isusu Khrestu

I am sorry to ask a foolish question but who were those two on either side of the Pope with mitres and dressed like deacons. Were those some kind of special ranked deacons? I have never seen this before.


Ignorant and unworthy

Kolya
Garajotsi


What Mitres ?

I don't see mitres in this pic posted earlier
Originally Posted by Garajotsi
Slava Isusu Khrestu

I am sorry to ask a foolish question but who were those two on either side of the Pope with mitres and dressed like deacons. Were those some kind of special ranked deacons? I have never seen this before.


Ignorant and unworthy

Kolya

They are cardinal deacons.
Posted By: Garrison Re: Pope Benedict's gift to Metr. William - 06/30/12 06:03 PM
I'm sorry, but I can't celebrate Rome's continued ineptness in dealing with Eastern Catholics.
How can the Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, etc. interpret the head of a sui juris Church in communion with Rome *kneeling* before the Pope and having *another* omophorion placed on him but as a act of submission?
The better question is, does Rome think the Ecumenical Patriarch, the Patriarch of Moscow, the Pope of Alexandria, etc. would find these sorts of actions acceptable? If the answer is no, Rome should immediately cease them in respect of the dignity of the Eastern Churches and their traditions (as Rome herself has said should be the case). If Rome answers yes, we have bigger problems. (I really think it would be a simple process for Rome to ask this question every time an action concerning the East is contemplated.)
The Eastern Catholic bishops should politely, but firmly decline any and all such gestures and structures that suggest a subservient status to the Bishop of Rome.
That being said, I think the act of requesting and giving the pallium to be a beautiful tradition as a sign of communion, but it cannot be done in any way that might even suggest that they derive their authority from the Pope.
Two other amazing things from that ceremony:

1. The Westminster Abbey choir (Anglican) was the guest choir, and I've never heard a Papal Mass that sounded so beautiful. They've got the Sistine Chapel choir beat by a mile.

2. The Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople sent a representative, and I loved watching him exchange the sign of peace with the Pope. Awesome.
Posted By: ag_vn Re: Pope Benedict's gift to Metr. William - 07/01/12 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by Pop
Have previous Metropolitans received the omophorian from the pope?


Metropolitan Ján Babjak received the pallium in 2008:

http://www.grkatpo.sk/pub/pic/fotogalerie/491/491_5.jpg

http://www.grkatpo.sk/pub/pic/fotogalerie/491/491_7.jpg

http://www.grkatpo.sk/pub/pic/fotogalerie/491/491_9.jpg

http://www.grkatpo.sk/pub/pic/fotogalerie/491/491_8.jpg

http://www.grkatpo.sk/pub/pic/fotogalerie/491/491_10.jpg

http://www.grkatpo.sk/pub/pic/fotogalerie/491/491_12.jpg

http://www.grkatpo.sk/pub/pic/fotogalerie/491/491_11.jpg


Hopefully Metroplitans Jan and William will get themselves real omophorions instead of those sewen up ones that are thankfully going back out of fashion among the various Byzantine Catholic Bishops.

cool
Posted By: antv Re: Pope Benedict's gift to Metr. William - 07/01/12 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by theophan

Look at the vesture of Pope Benedict and his Masters of Ceremony. Does it say "Pio Nono" to you?


If we want the Byzantine tradition to be always the same without the minimal change in any detail (such as the vesture), how can we get worried up if the Roman Church re-appropriated of the own historical liturgical tradition (which is by the way by far older than the blessed Pius IX)
Posted By: Garajotsi Re: Pope Benedict's gift to Metr. William - 07/01/12 01:28 PM
slava Isusu Khrestu
Hello to Our Lady's slave

I watched some of the proceedings at a friends house on Ewtn television. In there , on either side of the pope, were two mitres in the heads of two clergy who looked like deacons.

KOlya
Aaaaah - thank you smile Some of us were not so fortunate smile
In regards to Metropolitan William's supposed submission to the Pope, I'm mixed. I am very proud and happy that the Patriarch of Rome (as my family refers to the Pope) would actually acknowledge the power of a Byzantine Catholic leader in such a way and in the presence of other high ranking Roman Catholic leaders.

However, personally, I am ok with this. I'm not sure how I feel about the other Eastern Orthodox Patriarchs. In Imperial times, there were 5 great Patriarchates, Rome, Constantinople, Alexandria, Antioch, and Jerusalem. I'm confused how there can be Patriarchs for Russia, Serbia, etc. I see no reason why they can't be Metropolitan Archbishops on equal standing with a Patriarch and with equal authority in their sees, but I think the title Patriarch should be reserved for the original 5, but that's just me.

With that said, Metropolitan Archbishop William is not a Patriarch, if he was a Patriarch, there would be no reason at all for him to knee before the Pope and have the Pope give him vestments. With that said, I have no clue how Eastern Orthodox Bishops are enthroned. Does the Russian Orthodox Patriarch enthrone every Bishop in Russia? That seems a lot for one man to do.

But anyways, as half my family is Roman Catholic, we're loyal to the Patriarch of Rome, as he is first in honor of the old Pentarchy. Also, completely random, how come Jerusalem is the 5th in order, shouldn't the Patriarch of Jerusalem be first? I mean, the Lord did complete his mission in Jerusalem and ascend to Heaven from Jerusalem, what did Rome and Constantinople do to make them so high and mighty, well besides having the Emperor tell them they were.
Posted By: Diak Re: Pope Benedict's gift to Metr. William - 07/03/12 02:11 PM
Quote
I am very proud and happy that the Patriarch of Rome (as my family refers to the Pope)

The current Pope officially vacated this title.

To me, liturgically as well as ecclesiologically, it makes more sense for the Metropolitan to have received the pallium simply in his hands, as this is a well established symbolic gesture. He was vested in the omophorion on the day of his consecration, should have been vested in it receiving the pallium as an Eastern bishop, and receiving the omophorion again when he enjoys the fullness of the consecrated episcopacy is strange.
Originally Posted by Diak
Quote
I am very proud and happy that the Patriarch of Rome (as my family refers to the Pope)

The current Pope officially vacated this title.


Well, actually, the style "Patriarch of the West" is the style that no longer appears in the Annuario Pontificio (since 2006). Things like that end up getting magnified in the media along the lines of "Pope Benedict renounces his role as Patriarch of the West". Not quite. He just asked that this traditional designation be minimized by no longer having it included in the annually published directory. It was done as an ecumenical gesture. It was felt that the style was an unnecessary opportunity for some to be petty, considering that the whole of the "The West" indicates a far grander scope of patriarchal jurisdiction than that possessed by any of the other patriarchs. So he decided to stop "wearing" it, so to speak.

He remains the Patriarch of Rome, regardless of the fact that that title appears nowhere in his official style (just as the title "Patriarch of Constantinople", as such, appears nowhere in the Ecumenical Patriarch's formal style).

As far as Pope Benedict's vesture on the Feast of Peter and Paul resembling that of Pio Nono, that's just a no no. Pope Benedict was wearing a modern mid-sized red and white miter and a matching full, semi-gothic cut modern chasuble, neither of which any Catholic bishop, much less the pope, would have worn in the time of Pius IX, when baroque, Roman style vestments were de rigeur. In addition to wearing baroque vestments, Pius IX would have worn the tiara, the fanon, the falda, the gauntlets, the buskins, the sandals, and other long since banished items of papal haberdashery that no pope has worn since the early 1960s.
Posted By: Garrison Re: Pope Benedict's gift to Metr. William - 07/03/12 03:33 PM
Quote
I'm confused how there can be Patriarchs for Russia, Serbia, etc. I see no reason why they can't be Metropolitan Archbishops on equal standing with a Patriarch and with equal authority in their sees, but I think the title Patriarch should be reserved for the original 5, but that's just me.

For the East, it's more of a recognition of autocephalacy coupled with a prominent Church. As to why some autocephalous Churches are Patriarchates and others are just Archeparchies, I can't tell you.

Quote
Also, completely random, how come Jerusalem is the 5th in order, shouldn't the Patriarch of Jerusalem be first? I mean, the Lord did complete his mission in Jerusalem and ascend to Heaven from Jerusalem, what did Rome and Constantinople do to make them so high and mighty, well besides having the Emperor tell them they were.

Because the Church recognized Rome's dignity in being founded by both Peter and Paul. Alexandria and Antioch were/are next due to their Petrine heritage as well. Jerusalem was given patriarchal status in honor of her being the mother Church. Constantinople, on the other hand, was given patriarchal dignity solely on the basis of the being "New Rome" and the new Imperial City. I'm a bit archaic on this matter. I think Constantinople should be ranked last or at least after Antioch (Rome's opinion on the matter until the Middle Ages), but that's just me.
Posted By: Diak Re: Pope Benedict's gift to Metr. William - 07/03/12 04:06 PM
Quote
He remains the Patriarch of Rome, regardless of the fact that that title appears nowhere in his official style (just as the title "Patriarch of Constantinople", as such, appears nowhere in the Ecumenical Patriarch's formal style).

Apparently you haven't seen many signature blocks for the Ecumenical Patriarch recently. They range from "+ BARTHOLOMEW Archbishop of Constantinople-New Rome and Ecumenical Patriarch" to "Bartholomew, Patriarch of Constantinople" and many other variations in between.

Quote
Well, actually, the style "Patriarch of the West" is the style that no longer appears in the Annuario Pontificio (since 2006).
That's because, as I correctly stated earlier, the Pope officially suppressed that title for himself in 2006 (c.f Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity). After that time I have not heard him refer to himself as "Patriarch of Rome". It is sensible that if he no longer refers to himself in that manner officially (even if honorifically), he no longer considers himself a claimant to that title.





Diak:

"Apparently you haven't seen many signature blocks for the Ecumenical Patriarch recently."

I've never seen any, at all, actually. I've only referred to his formal style which is, according to the official website of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, "His All Holiness, BARTHOLOMEW, Archbishop of Constantinople, New Rome and Ecumenical Patriarch."

"That's because, as I correctly stated earlier, the Pope officially suppressed that title for himself in 2006 (c.f Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity). After that time I have not heard him refer to himself as 'Patriarch of Rome'. It is sensible that if he no longer refers to himself in that manner officially (even if honorifically), he no longer considers himself a claimant to that title."

Sorry. I was only referring to your post above. But if the Pope hasn't styled himself, "Patriarch of Rome" since the dropping of "Patriarch of the West" from the style presented in the Annuario Pontificio, it's also true that he never styled himself as "Patriarch of Rome" before. "Patriarch of Rome" is more of a fact of the matter than it is an official style. It's a term that is used commonly when referring to all the various patriarchates, but it has no formality of use to it. It's somewhat like "Queen of England", insofar as that is a title that is commonly bandied about, but which, as a formal style, does not exist. The style "Patriarch of Rome" as such, to my knowledge, has never been used in the Pope's formal style.
Posted By: Diak Re: Pope Benedict's gift to Metr. William - 07/03/12 05:40 PM
I'm not sure what you are getting at. The Queen still definitely refers to herself as the Queen and is addressed as "Her Majesty, the Queen". Patriarch Bartholomew still uses the terms Patriarch and Constantinople in his styling and official correspondence.

The Pope, on the other hand, not only doesn't use the title "Patriarch" but went to the trouble to officially suppress that title. If an M.D. officially suppressed his title of M.D. and removed it, I think I would be hesitant to approach him for an operation.
Diak:

I'm not trying to get at anything, I was just clearing up the facts, that's all.

I didn't refer to the style "Her Majesty the Queen". I referred to the commonly used but non-existant style "Queen of England". The Queen's style is "Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, &c..." and not "Queen of England".

In a similar way, some might refer to the pope as "Patriarch of Rome", but that isn't an official title that forms part of his formal style (and it never has been). He did not oppress the title "Patriarch of Rome" from his style, because it was never there to begin with. He suppressed the style "Patriarch of the West".

Patriarch Bartholomew's formal style does not include the title "Patriarch of Constantinople".
Posted By: Garrison Re: Pope Benedict's gift to Metr. William - 07/03/12 09:57 PM
His full title is: "His Most Divine All-Holiness, the Archbishop of Constantinople, New Rome and Œcumenical Patriarch".

As far as I can tell, there is a distinction between the titles "patriarch" and "archbishop". "Patriarch" is used when referring to the extent of the patriarchate, while "archbishop" (or "pope") is used when referring to the see (eg: "Pope of Alexandria and Patriarch of all Africa on the Holy See of St. Mark the Apostle" for the Coptic pope). So, I'm not surprised "Patriarch of Constantinople" is not an official title.
The only thing of other criticism my family has about Rome being the first in honor in the Pentarchy, is the fact that Rome was founded by pagans, for pagans. The oldest members of my family, who were subjected to the Latinization the U.S. Roman Catholic Church enforced on us Eastern Rites, used to use that saying in the family as a slur of sorts. "How could Rome be above Constantinople? Rome was founded by pagans, while Constantinople was founded by Christians." On that same trend, Antioch I think was founded by Seleucus I Nicator of Alexander the Great's Empire, Alexandria, that one is obvious, and Jerusalem by the old Jewish Kingdoms.

Anyways, sorry, most of that is irrelevant in modern times.
Posted By: DMD Re: Pope Benedict's gift to Metr. William - 07/03/12 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by Diak
Quote
I am very proud and happy that the Patriarch of Rome (as my family refers to the Pope)

The current Pope officially vacated this title.

To me, liturgically as well as ecclesiologically, it makes more sense for the Metropolitan to have received the pallium simply in his hands, as this is a well established symbolic gesture. He was vested in the omophorion on the day of his consecration, should have been vested in it receiving the pallium as an Eastern bishop, and receiving the omophorion again when he enjoys the fullness of the consecrated episcopacy is strange.


All this stuff about titles aside, as an Orthodox I agree with Diak in that the presence of the Metropolitan WITHOUT his omophorion at the beginning of the ceremony was just - strange. Frankly, presenting the Metropolitan with a special 'Panagia' (jeweled pectoral cross with an icon of the Theotokas) would have been more appropriate and respectful of the Metropolitan's title and role. Such a gesture by the Pope would have spoken volumes and I suppose what he actually did do speaks volumes as well.
Posted By: Pop Re: Pope Benedict's gift to Metr. William - 07/03/12 10:58 PM
Is it possible that the non use of the title "Patriarch of the West" was done because the pope is seen by Roman Catholics as having "supreme, full, immediate and universal ordinary power" as Canons 43 of the CCEO and 331 of the CIC reads?

The canon reads in full:

"The Bishop of the Church of Rome, in whom resides the office ("munus") given in a special way by the Lord to Peter, first of the Apostles and to be transmitted to his successors, is head of the college of bishops, the Vicar of Christ and Pastor of the entire Church on earth; therefore, in virtue of his office ("munus") he enjoys supreme, full, immediate and universal ordinary power ("potestas") in the Church which he can always freely exercise."

The title "Patriarch" carries with it a "jurisdiction" over a particular territory, Jerusalem, Antioch, Alexandria or Constantinople. Even the title “Patriarch of the West” carried with it the idea of jurisdiction over the western part of the Empire.

With the dropping of the title, “Patriarch of the West” could it be that the pope is simply “deleting” a title that essentially denied the practice of the Latin Church for centuries?

When the title was dropped many Orthodox believed that it was a clear statement of belief that the Bishop of Rome has full authority and jurisdiction over the entire Church on earth. It was seen as another step backwards on the road to unity.
Originally Posted by DMD
Originally Posted by Diak
To me, liturgically as well as ecclesiologically, it makes more sense for the Metropolitan to have received the pallium simply in his hands, as this is a well established symbolic gesture. He was vested in the omophorion on the day of his consecration, should have been vested in it receiving the pallium as an Eastern bishop, and receiving the omophorion again when he enjoys the fullness of the consecrated episcopacy is strange.


All this stuff about titles aside, as an Orthodox I agree with Diak in that the presence of the Metropolitan WITHOUT his omophorion at the beginning of the ceremony was just - strange. Frankly, presenting the Metropolitan with a special 'Panagia' (jeweled pectoral cross with an icon of the Theotokas) would have been more appropriate and respectful of the Metropolitan's title and role. Such a gesture by the Pope would have spoken volumes and I suppose what he actually did do speaks volumes as well.


I do admit that it was odd indeed, but no less odd perhaps that seeing a pallium placed over an omophorion on a fully vested Eastern Catholic hierarch (see linked photos posted above of Metropolitan Jan Babjak).

The gift of a Panagia is an interesting suggestion. Perhaps the Ecumenical Patriarch could mention it next time he and Pope Benedict XVI get together. smile

For now, some of us might take this as at least an attempt to properly recognize an Eastern Catholic Metropolitan.
Originally Posted by Pop
Is it possible that the non use of the title "Patriarch of the West" was done because the pope is seen by Roman Catholics as having "supreme, full, immediate and universal ordinary power" as Canons 43 of the CCEO and 331 of the CIC reads?

The canon reads in full:

"The Bishop of the Church of Rome, in whom resides the office ("munus") given in a special way by the Lord to Peter, first of the Apostles and to be transmitted to his successors, is head of the college of bishops, the Vicar of Christ and Pastor of the entire Church on earth; therefore, in virtue of his office ("munus") he enjoys supreme, full, immediate and universal ordinary power ("potestas") in the Church which he can always freely exercise."

The title "Patriarch" carries with it a "jurisdiction" over a particular territory, Jerusalem, Antioch, Alexandria or Constantinople. Even the title “Patriarch of the West” carried with it the idea of jurisdiction over the western part of the Empire.

With the dropping of the title, “Patriarch of the West” could it be that the pope is simply “deleting” a title that essentially denied the practice of the Latin Church for centuries?

When the title was dropped many Orthodox believed that it was a clear statement of belief that the Bishop of Rome has full authority and jurisdiction over the entire Church on earth. It was seen as another step backwards on the road to unity.


Hmm. Yeah. Well that's not the reason that was given but it's easy enough to see how one could interpret the gesture that way. I think Benedict XVI is a very honest and well-meaning pope. His Vatican's PR skills, however, are less than stellar. They frequently end up flubbing a well-meant gesture or statement so that it ends up coming across as an insult. I think the Vatican of Benedict XVI is just hopelessly inept when it comes to public relations, but I think it would be a mistake to judge the Pope's heart by Rome's gaffes.
Posted By: Diak Re: Pope Benedict's gift to Metr. William - 07/05/12 01:57 PM
Quote
I do admit that it was odd indeed, but no less odd perhaps that seeing a pallium placed over an omophorion on a fully vested Eastern Catholic hierarch (see linked photos posted above of Metropolitan Jan Babjak).


Which is why I stated that he should have received the pallium fully vested in his episcopacy in the hand as an honorific (not vested with it), kissed his hand and be done with it. In most liturgical traditions hierarchichal services represent the pinnacle of the public liturgical life of any particular Church. To be directly vested by the Pope in the actual vesture of your episcopal office (omophorion) liturgically leads one towards a syncretic liturgical and ecclesiological conclusion that the BCCA is a Roman church with a Byzantine rite.
Posted By: DMD Re: Pope Benedict's gift to Metr. William - 07/05/12 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by Diak
Quote
I do admit that it was odd indeed, but no less odd perhaps that seeing a pallium placed over an omophorion on a fully vested Eastern Catholic hierarch (see linked photos posted above of Metropolitan Jan Babjak).


Which is why I stated that he should have received the pallium fully vested in his episcopacy in the hand as an honorific (not vested with it), kissed his hand and be done with it. In most liturgical traditions hierarchichal services represent the pinnacle of the public liturgical life of any particular Church. To be directly vested by the Pope in the actual vesture of your episcopal office (omophorion) liturgically leads one towards a syncretic liturgical and ecclesiological conclusion that the BCCA is a Roman church with a Byzantine rite.


Well stated. Such appearances play into the hands of the Orthodox who assume the worst about Eastern Catholics. Those of us who know better cringe at such stuff - the picture of Met. Jan was frankly, just sad to my eyes.

I say this because I know that for centuries my family were devout Greek Catholics, just as their ancestors prior to 1643 or so were devout Orthodox Christians and that throughout those centuries the people who counted - i.e. the faithful in the churches - never fretted much about these things. They and the Faith were, and to most of us regardless of where we are today - 'nash' and to heck with the rest of the world. If only it remained so simple today.
Originally Posted by Diak
Which is why I stated that he should have received the pallium fully vested in his episcopacy in the hand as an honorific (not vested with it), kissed his hand and be done with it. In most liturgical traditions hierarchichal services represent the pinnacle of the public liturgical life of any particular Church. To be directly vested by the Pope in the actual vesture of your episcopal office (omophorion) liturgically leads one towards a syncretic liturgical and ecclesiological conclusion that the BCCA is a Roman church with a Byzantine rite.


Well, there are likely a number of ways this could have been handled more considerately, and there probably isn't an ideal answer for reasons mentioned and many others.

IMHO all of this is indicative of many other things about the Catholic Communion that no doubt will continue to raise the eyebrows of our Orthodox brothers and sisters, if not our own as Eastern Catholics.

As it turned out, Metropolitan William did look oddly out of place in procession. More significantly and in all likelihood, he simply removed his own omophorion before the ceremony and had it handed back to him by His Holiness. Seems odd to refer to such as a "gift", no? If they really wanted to be creative, perhaps they could have had an omophorion fashioned in traditional Byzantine style from the blessed lambs wool used for the others, which Abp. William then could have worn over or in place of his normal one for the ceremony and subsequent Mass. That would have shown some real forethought.

On that note, the whole approach seemed to be a last minute decision / consideration at any rate, with word coming from the Chancery office only one day prior to the ceremony.

Archbishop William to receive omophor[/i] from Pope Benedict XVI (release dated 6/28/2012)

However, the Archeparchy's "Upcoming Events" had read (and still reads) as follows for some days beforehand:

Archbishop William receives [i]Pallium/Omophor[/i] in Rome

It seems as if some attempt was being planned to recover from the incident of +Metropolitan Judson's era, yet a decision was made only on or near the eve of the event.

More broadly and to your point on ecclesiology, while including a Byzantine Metropolitan in this ceremony is laudable in the context of the Communion, it still remains that the Archbishop of a [i]sui juris Metropolitan Church isn't really the same as an Archbishop of a Latin Church Metropolitan Archdiocese. The challenge really starts here.

As much as I hate suggesting it in some respects, perhaps it is best that the public, ceremonious imposition of a pallium remain a practice particular to the Latin Church alone, as its entire meaning and purpose really only fit in that context. The only problem of course is the way the CCEO was written with respect to the appointment of a hierarch of a Metropolitan Church, as well as Rome's well intended insistence in being inclusive as regards the Eastern Catholic Churches.

BTW - the Catholic News Service produced a very nice video segment entitled Pallium: Three American Shepherds. I guess Abp. William doesn't count, as we thought he was one of four American Archbishops recognized in this ceremony. I guess they are oddly correct in their omission, however, as he did not receive a pallium. Nonetheless, yet another example of the marginalized position of the smaller Eastern Catholic Churches, in particular, in the much larger Roman Catholic world.

With hope and in an optimistic light, I'd like to believe that there was some genuine attempt here to have Metropolitan William appropriately recognized, both in general and in the context of his own tradition. It did, however, also highlight that we still have a way to go ...
© The Byzantine Forum