www.byzcath.org
Posted By: Orthodox Catholic The Cross with the White Cloth - 05/16/07 03:24 PM
Dear Friends,

What is the symbolism of the Cross with the white cloth draped over it and that is seen during the Paschal Season?

Alex
Posted By: Michael McD Re: The Cross with the White Cloth - 05/16/07 03:45 PM
I've never seen it "defined", but at least for me it means:

Jesus Christ, who suffered, died and was buried, is truly risen. Alleluia!
Posted By: Orthodox Catholic Re: The Cross with the White Cloth - 05/16/07 03:50 PM
Dear Michael,

Thank you! But why do so many of our priests give me blank stares when I ask them the symbolism behind it?

Now I've GOT to know what it really means!

But thank you.

Alex
Posted By: Father Deacon Ed Re: The Cross with the White Cloth - 05/16/07 03:58 PM
Alex,

Blank stares? Hmmm...

Anyway, the white cloth represents the burial cloth of Jesus which, like the cross, is no longer needed. So, to show that Jesus is risen the cloth is draped over the cross. Simple, yet effective.

Fr. Deacon Edward
Posted By: Orthodox Catholic Re: The Cross with the White Cloth - 05/16/07 04:41 PM
Father Deacon Edward,

Is there something you don't know?! smile smile

If I had $100 (U.S.) for all the clerical blank stares I've received to this question, I could afford to travel to Europe!!

Thank you, once again.

Alex
Posted By: spdundas Re: The Cross with the White Cloth - 05/16/07 05:52 PM
Hello...

I kept looking at that as a way to bring the body down carefully by using a sheet of white cloth...like as a rope? Then they'd leave the cloth on the cross after they took Christ down from the cross?

SPDundas
Deaf Byzantine
Posted By: Orthodox Catholic Re: The Cross with the White Cloth - 05/16/07 06:12 PM
Dear SPDundas,

Actually, that's how I thought . . .

Alex
© The Byzantine Forum