www.byzcath.org
Posted By: Fr Serge Keleher Happy Transfiguration! - 08/19/08 06:09 AM
May the Lord bless us all with an abundance of blessings, grace, joy, and the Uncreated Light.

Fr. Serge
Posted By: Elizabeth Maria Re: Happy Transfiguration! - 08/19/08 08:19 AM
Christ is Transfigured!
Posted By: Fr Serge Keleher Re: Happy Transfiguration! - 08/19/08 12:06 PM
Quote
Christ is Transfigured!


response: WOW!
Posted By: Job Re: Happy Transfiguration! - 08/19/08 04:28 PM
Quote
Christ is Transfigured!


On the Mountain!
Posted By: Fr David Straut Re: Happy Transfiguration! - 08/19/08 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Job
Quote
Christ is Transfigured!


On the Mountain!

While I share in the elation expressed over the celebration of a Great Feast of the Saviour, I must express my doubts as to the proliferation of Feast-specific greetings that seem to be popping up.

Greetings with the Feast.

Fr David Straut

Posted By: Fr David Straut Re: Happy Transfiguration! - 08/19/08 10:20 PM
Greeting: Christ is risen!
Response: Truly He is risen! / Indeed He is risen! / He is risen indeed!

This is obviously the universal tradition of the Church.

Greeting: Christ is born!
Response: Glorify Him!

This is a much later greeting and response, used only in some Eastern Christian circles, but I like it and use it. After all, it is the opening words of the Christmas Canon.

But other newly-minted greetings ('Christ is baptised! 'Christ is transfigured!') with their rather trite answers make one fear what will be next: 'Christ is conceived? Christ is circumcised? Let's get a grip here!

Fr David Straut

Posted By: Fr Serge Keleher Re: Happy Transfiguration! - 08/19/08 10:45 PM
Dear Father,

I couldn't agree more. Before we make a fetish out of inventing new "customs" (an oxymoron if ever I've heard one) let's try observing the old ones.

Happy Transfiguration!

Fr Serge
Posted By: Hieromonk Elias Re: Happy Transfiguration! - 08/19/08 10:57 PM
Happy Feast!
Posted By: Anna Re: Happy Transfiguration! - 08/20/08 01:19 AM
A man came forward to be anointed with oil. The priest said, "Christ is Risen"! to which the man replied, "Crucify Him!" True story...
Posted By: Fr David Straut Re: Happy Transfiguration! - 08/20/08 01:51 AM
Originally Posted by Anna
A man came forward to be anointed with oil. The priest said, "Christ is Risen"! to which the man replied, "Crucify Him!" True story...

Chilling.
Posted By: Fr Serge Keleher Re: Happy Transfiguration! - 08/20/08 05:39 AM
Sounds like Dostoevsky's Grand Inquisitor.

Fr. Serge
Posted By: Deacon Robert Behrens Re: Happy Transfiguration! - 08/20/08 11:06 AM
A few years ago, I was listening to a NYC talk-radio show while driving home from work (we still lived in NJ at the time). The host of the program had become friendly with the Greek owners of a NJ diner, and was learning a lot about Greek religion and culture. He put out the question to callers: How many of you know the proper response to the greeting "Christos Anesti!"? One Ukrainian-American caller said that he did not know the response in Greek, but he could respond in his own language: "Slavite Jeho"!!!

Dn. Robert
Posted By: Our Lady's slave Re: Happy Transfiguration! - 08/20/08 11:51 AM
biggrin
Posted By: theophan Re: Happy Transfiguration! - 08/20/08 03:10 PM
On a bit of a tangent:

Soem time ago the Moslems asked if Christians would admit that their founder, Mohammed, was a prophet.

Seems to me that the feast of the Transfiguration gives us the answer. Christ is transfigured with Moses and Elijah and ends alone. It says to me that the age of the patriarchs and prophets is at an end; that Christ is the fulfillment of all and the end of all humanity's longing.

So my counter proposal to the Moslem clerics is that we will acknowldege their founder as a prophet IF AND WHEN they admit that

1. Jesus Christ is God in the flesh and the end of all prophecies, and
2. there are no prophets from God the Creator and Father after Christ.

Sure Mohammed is a prophet, but a prophet of whom?

BOB
Posted By: Alice Re: Happy Transfiguration! - 08/20/08 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by theophan
On a bit of a tangent:

Soem time ago the Moslems asked if Christians would admit that their founder, Mohammed, was a prophet.

Seems to me that the feast of the Transfiguration gives us the answer. Christ is transfigured with Moses and Elijah and ends alone. It says to me that the age of the patriarchs and prophets is at an end; that Christ is the fulfillment of all and the end of all humanity's longing.

So my counter proposal to the Moslem clerics is that we will acknowldege their founder as a prophet IF AND WHEN they admit that

1. Jesus Christ is God in the flesh and the end of all prophecies, and
2. there are no prophets from God the Creator and Father after Christ.



Don't hold your breath!!! wink

Posted By: theophan Re: Happy Transfiguration! - 08/20/08 05:43 PM
ALICE:

Woke up a bit cranky this morning. Sorry. grin

BOB
Posted By: dochawk Re: Happy Transfiguration! - 08/22/08 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by Fr David Straut

But other newly-minted greetings ('Christ is baptised! 'Christ is transfigured!') with their rather trite answers make one fear what will be next: 'Christ is conceived? Christ is circumcised? Let's get a grip here!


A good grip is indeed quite importatn at any circumcision!

hawk laugh
Posted By: Fr David Straut Re: Happy Transfiguration! - 08/22/08 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by dochawk
Originally Posted by Fr David Straut

But other newly-minted greetings ('Christ is baptised! 'Christ is transfigured!') with their rather trite answers make one fear what will be next: 'Christ is conceived? Christ is circumcised? Let's get a grip here!


A good grip is indeed quite importatn at any circumcision!

hawk laugh

Oh my. I'll have to choose my words more carefully from now on.

Fr David blush
© The Byzantine Forum