www.byzcath.org
Posted By: Edmac Intercessory Prayer Question - 09/10/09 02:02 PM
When you wish to pray intensively for someone in crisis, be
the situation whatever it may, how do you go about it?

At present I have three such people to pray for, two in immediate
crises that threaten their lives, and another battling cancer.

What I find myself doing is modifying the Jesus Prayer for this
purpose: "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on X and
have mercy on me a sinner."

I would be grateful for your comments.

Edmac
Posted By: sielos ilgesys Re: Intercessory Prayer Question - 09/10/09 02:27 PM
It would be hard to improve on your adaptation of the Jesus Prayer. What a creative idea!
One could also invoke the intercession of the Mother of God, the angels and the saints, in a similar fashion.
Posted By: sieglinde Re: Intercessory Prayer Question - 09/10/09 02:34 PM
If I remember correctly, the book itself being upstairs on my night table, the Old Orthodox Prayer Book suggests praying for others in almost this exact way.
Posted By: Our Lady's slave Re: Intercessory Prayer Question - 09/10/09 02:44 PM
This was the 'solution' given to me by my Confessor when I spoke of the collapse of my prayer life after my husband died earlier this year.

I was to pray for him just with the words " Have mercy on Raymond " and for me using "have mercy on me "

I was told that these two very brief prayers were to be my Prayer Rule for the time being .
Posted By: Converted Viking Re: Intercessory Prayer Question - 09/10/09 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Edmac
When you wish to pray intensively for someone in crisis, be
the situation whatever it may, how do you go about it?

At present I have three such people to pray for, two in immediate
crises that threaten their lives, and another battling cancer.

What I find myself doing is modifying the Jesus Prayer for this
purpose: "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on X and
have mercy on me a sinner."

I would be grateful for your comments.

Edmac

This is very similar to what I do with one modification. I simply make the rounds on the prayer rope for each individual and then when I am done I pray the standard "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God have mercy on me a sinner" for myself. I don't think the Chotki is as structured in the prayers as say the Latin Rosary but I may be corrected by those who would disagree.

In Christ:
Einar
Posted By: Administrator Re: Intercessory Prayer Question - 09/10/09 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Our Lady's slave
This was the 'solution' given to me by my Confessor when I spoke of the collapse of my prayer life after my husband died earlier this year.

I was to pray for him just with the words " Have mercy on Raymond " and for me using "have mercy on me "

I was told that these two very brief prayers were to be my Prayer Rule for the time being .
Yes, quite right.

The actual words don't really matter. If it is easier, just pray "Lord, have mercy." He knows your heart.
Posted By: Edmac Re: Intercessory Prayer Question - 09/10/09 06:22 PM
Dear John;

Thanks to you and to all for your comments.I see that I am on,
not the "right track" for there must be many such, but a good track.

Myself, I feel a strong desire to pray for people by name (when known;
among the people on my prayer list are "the beggar on the subway" and
"the old lady at City Hall Park" - God knows who they are, as also the people
whose identities I have forgotten. I never delete anyone from my prayer lists;
I feel that it would be, well, discourteous.)

I have recently cleaned up my act, to some extent, anyhow. I
have (it is to be hoped) given up smoking (2-3 packs a day).
This is day 54. I have also taken up walking for exercise,
and this is easily done in South Central Brooklyn, where we
have many miles of clean, quiet streets (and here and there
some remarkably extravagant domestic architecture). When I
walk, I pray the prayer, sometimes speaking it, but always
at least physically forming forming the words to keep me concentrated.

Edmac

Posted By: theophan Re: Intercessory Prayer Question - 09/10/09 07:28 PM
Edmac:

Christ is in our midst!!

When I have such a situation, I make what I term a "Holy Hour." I go to church, sit in front of the Blessed Sacrament and quietly put the whole thing before the Lord Who sits looking back at me for one full hour. (Remember the story of the Cure of Ars who happened on an elderly parishioner sitting in the back of the church. The man said simply, "He looks at me and I look at Him.")

This has been powerful for me.

Another way, if it is not possible to go to church, is to sit in front of an icon of Christ and simply be open to Him looking back at you. After all, the Desert Fathers, when asked about being away from their ascetic labors asked, "Who has taken the Lord from us?"

I always put it to the Lord this way: "I've been asked to pray for this situation and I don't know what is truly needed. Grant to this person whatever You know he needs for health of soul, mind, and body in this life and in the life to come life everlasting."

"Let all Your faithful people hear the words we all long to hear at the end of our pilgrimage--Well done, good and faithful servant, enter into the joy of your Master."

BOB
Posted By: Edmac Re: Intercessory Prayer Question - 09/10/09 07:38 PM
Thanks to you, too, Bob.

Open churches are few and far between around here, but the icon
option is real.

Ed
Posted By: theophan Re: Intercessory Prayer Question - 09/10/09 11:36 PM
Edmac:

Christ is in our midst!!

I have an icon corner next to my home office computer so our Blessed Lord and His Holy Mother are always just looking over my shoulder. I also have icons set up on my dresser so I can gaze at Him and the Panagia as I doze off to sleep. I want to believe that they will be the first I see when I arise from the sleep of this present life.

I also have a small icon given to me by a very good friend and blessed at his home parish to carry with me when I travel. Then any place I am can be a meeting between me and eternity.

BOB
Posted By: Administrator Re: Intercessory Prayer Question - 09/11/09 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by Edmac
Myself, I feel a strong desire to pray for people by name (when known; among the people on my prayer list are "the beggar on the subway" and "the old lady at City Hall Park" - God knows who they are, as also the people whose identities I have forgotten. I never delete anyone from my prayer lists;I feel that it would be, well, discourteous.)
Yes, that is not unlike my long time practice. I keep a notebook with the names of people to pray for by name. Some days one has he energy to pray for each by name. On other days when energy is lacking one simply entrusts them en masse to the Lord's care. One seems to keep adding to it but never removing the names. Perfectly normal and healthy.
Posted By: theophan Re: Intercessory Prayer Question - 09/11/09 12:44 AM
On other days when energy is lacking one simply entrusts them en masse to the Lord's care.

Akin to my practice:

For the living: "Lord, grant to each one in his pilgrimage whatever You may know is necessary for health of soul, mind, and body in this life and in the life to come life everlasting."

For those fallen asleep: Lord, grant to each one whatever purification You may know is still necessary for his purification so that he may have a rapid entrance into the Mansions of the Just to praise Your Holy and All-Venerable Name forever, together with that of Your Father Who is from everlasting and the All-Holy , Good and Life-giving Spirit, now and ever and unto ages of ages.

BOB
Posted By: Pani Rose Re: Intercessory Prayer Question - 09/11/09 01:59 AM
Lord of the Powers be with us, for in times of distress we have no other help but You.
Lord of the Powers, have mercy on us.

Change the 'us' and add their name or problem.
© The Byzantine Forum