www.byzcath.org

Easter salt?

Posted By: Fr Mark

Easter salt? - 05/01/03 05:08 PM

Amongst our Ukrainian friends, what do you do for salt in your Easter baskets? Do you follow the Old 'Russian' wink practice of binding it with egg white and baking it into a 'cake'?

Spasi Khristos -
Mark, monk and sinner.
Posted By: Halychanyn

Re: Easter salt? - 05/01/03 06:23 PM

Dear Fr. Mark:

While regional differences do exist, my family(which hails from Galicia) has never placed salt in its Easter basket.

Yours,

kl
Posted By: Orthodox Catholic

Re: Easter salt? - 05/01/03 06:25 PM

Dear Kliros Leader,

One may place salt in the basket and we usually do.

My wife thinks of herself as "the salt of the earth" anyway . . .

Alex

Re: Easter salt? - 05/01/03 06:31 PM

Dear Klyros Leader,

What is placed in the traditional Galician Easter Basket? I would be very interested in hearing of other Galician festival customs.

Spasi Khristos-
Mark, monk and sinner.
Posted By: Medved

Re: Easter salt? - 05/01/03 06:35 PM

CHRISTOS VOSKRES!

Hi Fr. Mark

In my family, we used to use a crystal salt shaker and fill it up because we will use this for the rest of the year.

Last year we, I found a website that had hand-made wooden salt containers from Western Ukraine and we got a couple of those.

Here's the link www.iarelative.com

Does anyone else still save the scraps and eggshells and crush them and scatter them around the house and in the garden?

Paska krasna nas vitajet!

mark

Re: Easter salt? - 05/01/03 06:38 PM

Bless me a sinner, Father Mark,

Well, we place kolbassa, of course.

As you know, many Eastern Patriarchs pronounced against the use of kolbassa by the Ukrainian Kozaks.

Kolbassa was a pagan ritual food prepared to honour the boar-god of the forests. Eating it was a form of communion with that pagan deity.

The Kozaks never listened, however.

I've seen baskets with baked Easter hams in our Church, eggs, both peeled, red and decorated, little containers with beets, horseradish, cheese and the sweet paskha breads.

One question re: the Entrance and Departure Bows during the paschal season:

One begins with the Prayer of the Publican - correct?

And then we say the "Shine, shine. . ." with the full prostration at the end.

And then . . ."Christ is Risen from the Dead . . .' Lord have mercy 2x Lord, Bless and ending with: Having risen from the dead, Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, by the prayers of Thy Most Pure Mother, the might of Thy Precious and Honourable Cross, and of the Holy Apostles and all the Saints, have mercy on us and save us for Thou art Good and a Lover of Mankind. Amen."

Correct?

Alex

Re: Easter salt? - 05/01/03 06:39 PM

Dear Mark,

My uncles used to do that and we still try to.

But if someone didn't, I wouldn't ask them to leave . . . smile smile

O.K., bad, bad . . .

Khrystos Voskrese!

Alex

Re: Easter salt? - 05/01/03 06:43 PM

Correct on the bows Alex.

I thought the 'sausage rule' was largely because of the inclusion of unbled meat in cooking. This explains the labelling of Germans as sausage eaters! wink

This is one major taboo within Old Rite piety. The Old Believers have traditionally been very strict with regard to food. Certain foods are customarily not eaten.

Spasi Khristos -
Mark, monk and sinner.

Re: Easter salt? - 05/01/03 06:47 PM

Yes, the eggshells must not be thrown away as they are blessed. Like the ash from the censer they must go into the ground.

Spasi Khristos -
Mark, monk and sinner.

Re: Easter salt? - 05/01/03 06:52 PM

XPUCTOCb BOCKPEC!

Hi Alex!

You wrote:"...I've seen baskets with baked Easter hams in our Church, eggs, both peeled, red and decorated, little containers with beets, horseradish, cheese and the sweet paskha breads..."

In my church and my Baba's church I've seen ham, kolbas, lamb, veal loaf, bottles of wine, spring onions, garlic, krashanky rubbed with vegtable oil til they shine(my Aunt's basket) and one I remember in particular, a sirek that is decorated with home-made candied violets that the lady does every year!

I also hand a hand-painted Palekh egg of the Resurrection from the handle of my basket. I also have a 2-part red plastic egg with a XB on it from Moscow that I fill with jellybeans!

mark

Re: Easter salt? - 05/01/03 06:58 PM

I love the use of violets on the sirek!

I used to use candied primroses for decoration, but these days opt for cloves for decorating the homemade butter and syrnaya paskha.

Spasi Khristos -
Mark, monk and sinner.

Re: Easter salt? - 05/01/03 07:11 PM

CHRISTOS VOSKRES!

Fr. Mark

My friend, Sasha, who lives in Moscow, send me a plastic sirnaya paska mold that has an onion-dome and 3-bar cross on 2 sides and the XB on the other 2 sides.

Spray a little non-stick cooking spray and unmold and it looks GORGEOUS!

I use fresh strawberries to decorate mine around the base and with one on the top and then surround the whole thing in the basket with pysanky.

mark

Re: Easter salt? - 05/01/03 07:17 PM

I was a bit taken aback this Pascha when a priest friend's Serbian popadia made a low fat syrnaya paskha. Low fat... and made by a Serb? Chudny!

Spasi Khristos -
mark, monk and sinner,

Re: Easter salt? - 05/01/03 07:22 PM

CHRISTOS VOSKRES!

Fr. Mark,

I made "lo-fat" cheese Paska last year....

The Lord sent an Angel from Heaven and struck it down... it disintergrated and collapsed as I took it out of the mold.

Guess the Lord isn't into "lo-fat"... wink

mark

Re: Easter salt? - 05/01/03 07:30 PM

Dear Friends,

Come on, you guys are making me hungry . . . wink

Alex
Posted By: Danj

Re: Easter salt? - 05/01/03 10:22 PM

Yes,
I put the salt from my Pascha basket into the salt shaker on the table.... It's a constant reminder for me to be the "salt of the earth."

Xpuctoc Bockpec!
Dan

Re: Easter salt? - 05/02/03 01:10 PM

Dear Professor Dan,

If I have permission to say something nice about the Latins here ( smile ), there was a beautiful ceremony at the papal Mass during Whirled Yoot Hey in Toronto involving the blessing of large blocks of salt for just the very meaning and reason that you gave.

I was wondering if you or any former or current Westerner could explain the full meaning and usage of the blessing of the salt in the Latin Church?

Is it something practiced by Protestants?

Alex
Posted By: Danj

Re: Easter salt? - 05/02/03 02:53 PM

Alex,

"Professor Dan??" Alex, you're too much, but perhaps someday I'll get a job in academia wink

This week is finals, so I'm a bit bogged-down-- I graduate in two weeks with my BA in Religious Studies (finally, thought the day would never come!!) I'm going for my Masters this coming fall with a concentration in Eastern Christian Studies from the U. of Scranton.

So, here's what I know of the use of salt in the Latin Church. It is sometimes blessed and mixed with the water in the "Asperges" at beginning of Mass(as per Sacramentary), at Baptism a small portion used to be placed in the mouth of the infant (the new ritual doesn't have this practice included--- I've paged through and can't find it listed).
It would seem that the salt is/was used as both a cleansing element (salt purifies and can kill things ie: make pure), as well as the symbolism of being the light of the world. The sacramentary lists the prayer of the salt in the Asperges as follows:

"Almighty God, we ask you to bless this salt as once you blessed the salt scattered over the water by the prophet Elisha. Wherever this salt and water are sprinkled, drive away the power of evil, and protect us always by the presence of your Holy Spirit."

Hope this info. helps-- have to hit the books, finals draweth nigh (after finals, I'm going to "hit the books" so hard, they will shatter into little pieces, then I'll scatter the remains as Elisha scattered the salt biggrin ).

Dan

Re: Easter salt? - 05/02/03 03:27 PM

It is also used in the gregorian water used to consecrate the altar of a Latin Church, together with wine and ashes.

Spasi Khristos -
Mark, monk and sinner.
Posted By: monksilouan

Re: Easter salt? - 05/02/03 08:20 PM

All this talk of wonderful fod! And you, Alex: With your mention of kolbassa!! :rolleyes:
I live in Arkansas where they eat grits and crawfish! I have not had kolbassa in 13 years! After reading all these food posts I almost wish I had a Ukrainian/Polish food store nearby. My Polish grandma made all these foods and I miss them terribly. Forgive a foolish old monk but I am drooling!
Silouan, old monk hoping their is kolbassa etc. in Heaven biggrin
Posted By: Halychanyn

Re: Easter salt? - 05/02/03 08:23 PM

Dear All:

I guess that even within a particular region different families do things differently.

Still - here's a solution to the egg shell bit - peel the eggs before they are blessed. biggrin

Yours,

kl
© 2020 The Byzantine Forum