www.byzcath.org
Posted By: theophan Philips Fast - 12/31/13 03:51 PM
Christ is Born!!

I've heard Philip's Fast and the Nativity Feast referred to as the "Winter Pascha." So my question is is the Presanctified Liturgy served on weekedays as during Great Lent or is the DL of St. John Chrysostom served on those days?

Bob
Posted By: StuartK Re: Philips Fast - 12/31/13 06:02 PM
Chrysostom is used throughout the Nativity Fast.
Posted By: Fr. Al Re: Philips Fast - 01/01/14 08:47 AM
Normaly on the 1st day of the fast(just as with the Apostles Fast),NO LIturgy is served. This year, for those of us on the Julian Calendar, the fast began on Thanksgiving. I served a Matins with First Hour, doing the Prayer of St. Ephraim the Syrian.
Of course, should the fast begin on Saurday or of course on Sunday, Liturgy would be served and the Lenten form of service disregarded. Since the Apostles Fast always starts on a Monday, the Lenten type of service would be the norm, but only on the first day. At least, that's the current Orthodox practice.
Posted By: Chtec Re: Philips Fast - 01/01/14 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Fr. Al
Normaly on the 1st day of the fast(just as with the Apostles Fast),NO LIturgy is served. This year, for those of us on the Julian Calendar, the fast began on Thanksgiving.

Out of all the "aliturgical" days on the calendar, it seems these (first day of fasts) are the least strictly observed. Exceptions abound. For example:

http://www.saintharalambosgoc.org/pan-orthodox-thanksgiving-day-liturgy

Fr. David
Posted By: Fr. Al Re: Philips Fast - 01/03/14 06:28 PM
Fr.,if I'm not mistaken, the St. Herman Press Calendar lists one feast of St. Herman on Nov 28th. It doesn't appear in the Russian language Calendar with rubrics from Jordanville.
© The Byzantine Forum