www.byzcath.org
Posted By: squirrelpoose Propers for Daily Divine Liturgy - 01/26/21 01:43 AM
Is there such a book that has all the Proper prayers for daily Divine Liturgy? As I watch the streaming of Daily Divine Liturgy from Canada, I am a little confused how they choose the daily propers for the liturgy when they are not included in The Divine Liturgy An Anthology for Worship (2004) for a particular day. I'm specifically referring to the daily services from St. Josaphat Cathedral in Edmonton, AB, Canada.

Thanks
Posted By: akemner Re: Propers for Daily Divine Liturgy - 01/26/21 03:36 PM
There isn't one book. For the Ruthenians, the Metropolitan Cantor Institute has the propers derived from the menaion in a 12 volume series. Generally, the propers are picked from either the day of the week, or the saint of the day, or a DL for the deceased. The prokeimenon and alleluia are from a common set related to the main commemoration. My guess is there is a typikon the cathedral is using to determine what is commemorated, in conjunction with the celebrant saying, "We're doing this or that".
Posted By: ajk Re: Propers for Daily Divine Liturgy - 01/26/21 05:18 PM
The MCI and the Typicon were/are my recommendations too. See The Common Typikon [mci.archpitt.org] and 2021 Typicon [byzantineseminarypress.com] for starters for the Ruthenian usage. The MCI is very thorough and also includes musical notion. Fr. David's Typicon gives all the directives and resources, in full, so more for a monastic observance, but then it can be adapted for parochial or personal prayer. Attached is a sample page, to give a preview of what it contains, from the (probably) 2003 Typicon of Fr. David.

Attached File
Annual example.gif  (86 downloads)
Posted By: ajk Re: Propers for Daily Divine Liturgy - 01/28/21 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by squirrelpoose
Is there such a book that has all the Proper prayers for daily Divine Liturgy? As I watch the streaming of Daily Divine Liturgy from Canada, I am a little confused how they choose the daily propers for the liturgy when they are not included in The Divine Liturgy An Anthology for Worship (2004) for a particular day.

See also the MCI's Liturgical Calendar for the Year [mci.archpitt.org]
© The Byzantine Forum