www.byzcath.org

Parish Websites Worth Seeing

Posted By: Irish Melkite

Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 04/30/09 09:30 AM

A few weeks ago, in reply to a thread, begun by Elizabeth/babochka, on the topic of reviving a parish, I wrote in some detail about the value of parish websites and ways to improve or implement them, finishing with:

Originally Posted by Irish Melkite
I've given thought several times to starting an ongoing thread in which I'd highlight some of the websites that I encounter which are particularly informative, resourceful, and/or attractive. After this discussion, I just might do that.

My friend and brother, John, picked up on my musing and encouraged me to pursue the idea, suggesting that it was needed and would be interesting. So, we'll try it.

I'll try to post a link to one each few days, chosen from those I encounter in the process of creating the Directory entries. I'll also include noteworthy EO/OO parish websites that I find along the way - happens all the time when I'm trying to track down an EC parish site and I encounter that of the identically-named EO parish diagonally across the street - both funny biggrin and sad cry: at the same time.

That I find a website to be as I've described doesn't mean that everyone will agree. Feel free to comment on them (charitably and constructively, please).

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 04/30/09 09:40 AM

First up,

Our Lady of Perpetual Help Byzantine Church in Alburquerque, NM.

Father Chris Zugger graciously contacted me a few days ago to provide updated info about the Schedule of Divine Services for the parish entry in our Directory.

When I revisited the website for the first time in a while, I was reminded how nicely it is done and the impressive array of resources available on it.

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: harmon3110

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 04/30/09 09:48 AM

First up,

Our Lady of Perpetual Help Byzantine Church in Alburquerque, NM.

Father Chris Zugger graciously contacted me a few days ago to provide updated info about the Schedule of Divine Services for the parish entry in our Directory.

When I revisited the website for the first time in a while, I was reminded how nicely it is done and the impressive array of resources available on it.

Many years,

Neil

Beautiful ! A very good first choice, Neil ! smile

-- John
Posted By: Our Lady's slave

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 04/30/09 10:00 AM

I particularly like the way their Gallery is set up - you don't get overwhelmed by lots of photos - and you can look at them carefully

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 04/30/09 12:59 PM

I had no intention of posting another site so soon, but I was looking to update/correct some information regarding St Melany the Younger Byzantine Church in Tucson, AZ

In doing so, I discovered that the parish's website has been significantly updated since I visited it last and what I found compelled me to post the link.

The resources there - from personal testimonies of persons who found their Christianity in the East (including our own Pani Rose) through articles, music, videos, audio links (Ancient Faith Radio), and more - are incredible!

I love the Google Calendar - first time I've seen anyone use that on a parish site.

Their entry in our Directory

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: babochka

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 04/30/09 05:40 PM

Thanks for starting this! I've been hoping you would follow up on doing this, and have been keeping an eye out.

Elizabeth
Posted By: likethethief

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/01/09 05:16 AM

Wonderful idea. I totally agree about the value of web sites. There's much opportunity for evangelization and catechesis on them and for just plain outreach.

I was checking this site yesterday to see what is coming up that I might attend and noticed they recently added a link to a very interesting New Yorker article and audio clip about "Russian bells that have been ringing at Harvard since the nineteen-thirties, and were recently returned to their original home at the Danilov monastery". There are good audio clips of their choir's CD, which led me to purchase it. http://www.stnicholasmarin.org/# I just noticed they also have a little audio clip "Listen to our bells" on their "Read more about who we are" link http://www.stnicholasmarin.org/history.html

Several months ago I visited this parish when I was attending a weekend conference near by. I decided to go there as opposed to other options, based on what I could find on line. http://www.slocc.com/index.html

off topic: Even though it is a large parish one of the parishioners, I think a presbytera, came up to welcome me after Divine Liturgy, recognizing me as a visitor, and gave me a bag already prepared for guests, which contained a coffee mug with their logo on it, some trifolds and a larger brochure about about Orthodoxy, and a coupon for a free cup of coffee.

My own RC home parish website is a real snoozer but they do keep it "up to date" at least which is definitely important.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/18/09 08:05 AM

St John the Baptist Russian Orthodox Church (ACROD) in Rahway, NJ has a website well worth looking at for the great collection of links available on it. Additionally, the incredible photo array gives one a very clear picture of a vibrant parish community.

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: Our Lady's slave

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/18/09 08:25 AM

Very nice Site indeed

Easy to navigate , very clean unfussy looking and up to date smile

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/18/09 11:54 AM

I had no intention of posting another site so soon, but I was looking to update/correct some information regarding St Melany the Younger Byzantine Church in Tucson, AZ

In doing so, I discovered that the parish's website has been significantly updated since I visited it last and what I found compelled me to post the link.

The resources there - from personal testimonies of persons who found their Christianity in the East (including our own Pani Rose) through articles, music, videos, audio links (Ancient Faith Radio), and more - are incredible!

I love the Google Calendar - first time I've seen anyone use that on a parish site.

Their entry in our Directory

Many years,

Neil

Thank you for posting that, Neil !

-- John

Posted By: Stephanos I

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/18/09 03:35 PM

Try looking at our parish website, it's Latin but can give you some ideas.
Stephanos I

www.stvincentferrer.org
Posted By: Ray S.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/18/09 09:33 PM

What do you think about this one:

http://www.byzcath.org/fortpierce
Posted By: ajk

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/19/09 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ray S.
What do you think about this one:

http://www.byzcath.org/fortpierce

This is a nice, professional looking site.

Some pros:
Map to church
Name of pastor and contact info
welcoming
many others

But, some cons:
no photo identifying the pastor
"current" bulletin is 22 FEB 2009
lack of establishing primary identity

I should explain the cons -- and let me repeat I think this is a very nice site.

The internet is a very visual, image oriented medium. I think seeing the people, their image, enhances the message giving a personal touch.

Better to have "current bulletin not available" than an old one.

Primary ecclesiology: The front page properly relates us to the Romans,
We are a Catholic Church in full communion with the Pope of Rome His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI. We are in full communion with the Most Reverend Gerald M. Barbarito, Bishop of the Diocese of Palm Beach Florida. If you are a Roman Catholic attending our Church fulfills your Sunday obligation for Mass.

This is ok, but by itself it is part of our problem -- we present ourselves as not having an inherent, current identity as a church apart from them, the Roman church.

The Latin bishop is named; we have our own bishop who is not mentioned. We are an Eparchy of our Metropolitan church -- not mentioned.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/19/09 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Stephanos I
Stephanos I

www.stvincentferrer.org

Father, bless !

I think your parish's website is well designed and easy to navigate. Thank you for sharing it.

-- John

Posted By: Alice

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/19/09 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by harmon3110
Originally Posted by Stephanos I
Stephanos I

www.stvincentferrer.org

Father, bless !

I think your parish's website is well designed and easy to navigate. Thank you for sharing it.

-- John

I agree!!

Dear Father Stephanos,

What a beautiful, classic church you serve at!!

(...and was that you I spied in a photo--Father Stephen?!?) smile

Asking for your blessing,
Alice

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/20/09 07:29 AM

Ray,

I'm impressed with the improvements in Ss Cyril & Methodius' website since I visited it last. It's very professional in appearance (and professional is a good thing, albeit you wouldn't hear me complaining about a serviceable site cobbled together using geocities technology either).

The photo galleries are great - they depict a parish that is alive and thriving. The testimonies as to "Why I am a Byzantine Catholic" are insightful and touching to read (as with those I mentioned earlier on St Meleny's site in reference to people's reasons for finding their spiritual home in the East - Catholic and Orthodox).

However, I would echo two of Deacon Tony's concerns: (1) the heavy identification with the Latin Church, with absolutely no reference made to the parish's own canonical jurisdiction; and (2) a 3 month out-of-date bulletin link. (I'm not really bothered by the lack of a photo specifically identifying the pastor; I think it's a 'nice-to-have', but not essential touch.)

Father Stephanos,

Bless, Father,

Nice calendar! The bi-lingual bulletin is also impressive, as is the list of programs being carried out in the parish. Photos of parish activities would be a great addition and I did see references to those 'coming soon'.

Btw, the footer used on all the pages is an exquisite piece of Western religious art (which I suspect I should be able to name, but can't - and it's driving me crazy).

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/20/09 07:57 AM

This is a bit off-topic, but I happened on the website of St Mary's Byzantine Catholic Church in Hillsborough, NJ, last evening - solely by accident. It's a nice site that looks to still be in the process of development, but not yet at the stage where it would be featured here.

However, I discovered - on its links page - that the first 3 links after that of the Eparchy of Passaic were to ByzCath. The first is to our site's front page, the second to our still fledgling Directory, and the third to a page here that lists all of the Eastern and Oriental Churches, Catholic and Orthodox. (This is the first link to the Directory that I've seen posted by any parish and I'm absolutely delighted that they saw fit to include it.)

Many years,

Neil (begging pardon for disrupting the flow of the thread)
Posted By: iconophile

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/21/09 09:29 PM

Check out my parish site; there are links to audio and video of our very fine choir, plus lots of photos of parish life: www.stnickbyz.com

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/22/09 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by iconophile
Check out my parish site; there are links to audio and video of our very fine choir, plus lots of photos of parish life: www.stnickbyz.com

Dan,

Very, very nice and it is wonderful to see that the Divine Liturgy has been televised. However, I have to know - am I slipping or has the website been extensively revamped in recent times? I ask because I just checked the parish's Directory entry and see that I had captured an exterior, but no interior photos - and, at a quick glance, there are several available.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/22/09 01:31 PM

Father Miron has done an enormous amount of labor on the website and it is always a work in progress. I'm not sure what you are talking about, as the site has a wealth of photos and video links...

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/22/09 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by iconophile
Father Miron has done an enormous amount of labor on the website and it is always a work in progress. I'm not sure what you are talking about, as the site has a wealth of photos and video links...

Dan,

I was talking about the parish entry on our Directory of E&O Catholic Parishes. Usually, when I create the entry, I try to get an interior and exterior photo to display in it. As you can see, I only have an exterior at present for St Nicholas.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/22/09 03:04 PM

Yes, the site has been extensively revamped, and that recently.
Posted By: Byzantinemo

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/25/09 12:28 AM

My parish home from 1998 to 2002. Lord, how I kick myself daily for having left Alaska....still homesick after 7 years!

St. Nicholas of Myra Byzantine Catholic Church - Anchorage, Alaska

In OLGS, Jesus Christ.

S

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/25/09 03:46 AM

As is often the case, when someone posts photos to the forum's Photo Gallery, I take the opportunity to check out their website. Thus, I just spent some time looking at that of St Michael's UGCC Mission Chapel in Southern Pines, NC, served by Deacon Daniel, a member here (ebed melech).

It's a very well-developed site, particularly for a mission - it would do many parishes proud to have half as much material on-line. Excellent resource materials, homilies, links, weekly schedule on-line. Very nicely done!

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: Father Valerian

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/25/09 12:18 PM

Glory to IC XC!

Please visit our parish website: www.saintgeorgepittsburgh.org

We are very-very happy with the work of our wonderful webmaster Bob. He is a hard worker, easy to work with and a faithful Byzantine Catholic.

To see his work visit: www.ecwnet.org

If your parish wishes to have a website (Eastern Catholic or Orthodox), I highly recommend Bob for the job.

In Christ,

Fr. Valerian

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/25/09 03:07 PM

Father Valerian, bless!
Your church looks beautiful. I have a friend, a Byzantine Catholic, who moved to Pittsburgh and found that the BC churches there are pretty latinized: no iconostasis, hurried liturgy, etc. So he has been going to an ACROD church, where he cannot receive communion. I told him about your parish.
It is not clear from your website or bulletin, but is your liturgy in English or Ukrainian?

Posted By: Erie Byz

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/25/09 04:09 PM

Most of the Ruthenian Parishes in the Pittsburgh area have iconostasis, some very elaborate. I would suggest that your friend look around to base his comments. Where exactly in Pittsburgh does he live?

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/25/09 04:17 PM

Dear Iconophile:

Glory to IC XC!

Divine Liturgy on Sunday is celebrated at 10:00 AM. At 9:40 AM we begin with the Third Hour. The Divine Liturgy is in both English and Slavonic. The parts in Slavonic are the Little Ekteniya (after Only Begotten Son), Trisagion, Ekteniya of Fervent Supplication, Hymn at the Anaphora:Holy, Holy, Holy, Ekteniya of Supplication and Our Father is in both languages. The opening and closing hymns are also in both languages. The rest of the Divine Liturgy, the readings & homily are always in English.

Please tell your friend to come and join us for Divine Worship. If you or your friend have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Have a Blessed day!

In XC,

Fr. Valerian

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/25/09 04:40 PM

Thank you, Father; will do...
Posted By: ALLEN

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/25/09 05:05 PM

I have not posted anything for awhile, but I have enjoyed greatly visiting the many vatied topic posts that have been made. While you are surfing, please try St. Dionysios GO site in KC Missouri and St. Luke's Byz. Catholic (Ruthenian) church site in Independence, Mo. Y'all come to St. D for the festival...enjoy the music and the food...FANTASTIC

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 06/02/09 06:38 PM

I recently communicated with someone from Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral, Chicago. Their web site is very nice and what I thought was quite interesting is they have created a separate web site for the parish’s multi-year restoration efforts which includes before and after shots of some completed restorations. It seems like a very useful part of a capital campaign like that.

My parish has been running in the red and I think is moving toward starting a capital campaign. We're in the middle of having all our stained glass restored. If we had something like this it might have generated more donations.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 06/02/09 08:14 PM

Byzantine-Ruthenian Parishes of Erie County There are some nice pictures in the gallery, including pictures of Fr. Deacon Will Rupp's ordination.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 06/02/09 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mlouise
I recently communicated with someone from Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral, Chicago. Their web site is very nice and what I thought was quite interesting is they have created a separate web site for the parish’s multi-year restoration efforts which includes before and after shots of some completed restorations. It seems like a very useful part of a capital campaign like that.

Holy Trinity is a beautiful cathedral. It's one of only a few churches that were designed by the famed architect, Louis Sullivan, and stands in sharp contrast to the interpretation generally given to a quote for which he's famed - "form follows function". Many architects saw the phrase as suggesting that functionality was of infinite more import than beauty - something that is not particularly true of Sullivan's own work, much of which was adorned with classical or fanciful stonework.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 06/02/09 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Erie Byz
Byzantine-Ruthenian Parishes of Erie County There are some nice pictures in the gallery, including pictures of Fr. Deacon Will Rupp's ordination.

Erie,

Very nice pairing of the 2 parish websites. I especially liked the exquisite iconography (I'm a fan of bright, rich, coloration in icons, which it sometimes seems is not very prevalent among we Byzantines, except in iconography of the folk-art style.) The calendars are extremely well-done and informative, as well.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 06/02/09 09:12 PM

Fr. Andrew has been doing a lot of good things with the Erie Parishes, including getting the website up and running; the website got up and running last year on the Patronal Feast of Ss. Peter and Paul to kick off the rededication year (or at lest that's what I think). I miss being at that parish. In my opinion it seems considerably younger in mean age, than most parishes I've attended.
Posted By: Pani Rose

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 06/03/09 04:13 PM

I came across this website Our Lady of Perpetual Help Byzantine Catholic Church of New Mexico, it is done nicely.
http://www.olphnm.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

I have not listened to any of their music, but they do have a music section for download
http://www.olphnm.org/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=126&func=select&id=3

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 06/03/09 04:54 PM

Rose,

Actually, OLPH was the first parish highlighted in this thread, but I'm glad you posted the link again because it offers the chance to point out the new book by Father Christopher (Zugger) - showcased on the site's front page. I had an e-mail from Father Christopher a few days ago regarding its release and had intended to post about it this week.

"Finding A Hidden Church" is a history of the Ruthenian Church

the result of eight years of interviews and research covering the history of the Ruthenian Greek Catholic church in the USSR and independent Ukraine

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: Pani Rose

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 06/03/09 07:39 PM

Neil,

It sounded like a wonderful book. It was part of what got my attention.

You know, now I see there are three pages worth of discussion, I checked when I posted it, and didn't see other pages.

It just goes to show I was looking with my eyes closed in a bit of a hurry :D,

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 06/08/09 01:26 PM

In the thread regarding the Baptist minister's visit to an Orthodox parish for Divine Liturgy, Ed MacDonald posted a link to an OCA parish - St Anthony the Great in San Antonio, TX, the parish visited by Rev. Atkinson. It's a beautifully done website, very informative, and evidencing a parish that is alive and thriving - well worth reposting the link in this thread:

http://orthodoxsanantonio.org

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: Stephanos I

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 06/12/09 08:35 PM

Especially like the pierogies and haluski part! smile
Posted By: ukipatr

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 07/31/09 07:24 PM

Check out the new St. Joseph the Betrothed Parish in Chicago website
Posted By: Two Lungs

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 08/01/09 12:07 AM

Everyone has time to plan their trip.

Y'all should go to the

UKETOBERFEST
Friday September 25th ----- 8PM
Saturday September 26th --- 1PM

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 08/07/09 08:11 AM

If anyone had problems with the link to St Joseph the Betrothed Parish (two posts above), the link has been repaired.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 08/07/09 08:47 AM

St Anne's Byzantine in San Luis Obispo has done some major upgrading to their website, including: the addition of a number of YouTube clips; the KofC EC Churches booklet that we recently discussed on another thread; and, some beautiful photos of the renovations to their temple (the exterior, in particular, you'd not know to be the same church). Both the weekly bulletin and monthly calendar are very nicely formatted - and the history text is illustrated with thumbnail portraits of clergy and hierarchs who played roles in it.

They also have a parish FaceBook page - link available from the website - an interesting evangelization tool.

The parish does continue its long-time practice of serving some Latin devotions - most notably communal Rosary and Eucharistic Adoration - BUT be forewarned - that is not the point of this thread and I don't expect that we're going to get started on and bogged down on discussion here of those issues.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 08/19/09 08:36 AM

When one considers that the short- and long-term fate of the Byzantine Church of the Resurrection in Smithtown was a matter of great concern in the not long distant past, its current website speaks volumes for its present and future. The links page is a great resource and the yearly calendars of Fasts and Major Feasts is likewise.

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: Job

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 08/19/09 11:31 AM

Great website. Many years for Fr. Jack and the Resurrection community!!!
Posted By: Maverich

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 08/19/09 12:48 PM

RE: PDFs

We post our Sunday bulletins as PDFs to our website ( Epiphany of Our Lord Byzantine Mission ). This allows us to use graphics/color and still keep the file reasonably small. Both Word (newer versions) and Word Publisher have options to save as PDF. You can also load a free program called CuteWriter, which will save files as PDFs. Whether or not you convert files to PDFs, make sure that when using photos, etc., compress the file size and designate the graphics are for web display, else you can end up with very BIG files.
Posted By: Maverich

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 08/19/09 01:35 PM

AND...

Don't forget the value of having hotlinks in your online bulletin. An online bulletin also cuts down on number of bulletins needing to be printed. Because we post the Sunday bulletin the Friday/Saturday prior, folks often read the bulletin online and don't always bother with the paper copy.
Posted By: McPhelan

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 08/19/09 11:16 PM

Another nice website is www.stemilian.com which is the site for St. Emilian parish in Brunswick, Ohio. It has some interesting links including Youtube.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 08/21/09 06:10 PM

Here is the parish website I am fond of... St. John's (ACROD) Stratford, CT (Silver Lane)

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 08/22/09 06:22 AM

Job,

Very nice indeed - I'm having a bit of an issue w/ the menu bar, as the component pieces of multi-word tabs appear to overlay one another, but that might be IE. My only critique would be that the calendar is so large as to require scrolling to the right - which might not be the case w/ a wider monitor than I'm using at present.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 08/22/09 12:16 PM

Neil,

I experience the same issues you have mentioned.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 09/15/09 09:06 AM

Links were posted twice yesterday to an Orthodox (GOAA) parish in Prescott, AZ - once in the Prayer thread for Father Archimandrite Gabriel (Cooke) and once in the F&W thread on Proskomedia - and I decided to check it out. It took only a glance to realize that a link to it belonged in this thread.

The website is extremely professional, up-to-date, and informative - one of the best that I've seen and well worth a look by anyone contemplating what they might aspire to do with their own parish website.

I must admit one bit of curiousity. Although I searched rather diligently (I think), I was not able to determine the parish's patronal name - everything I read referred only to the Eastern Orthodox Church of Prescott.

Some quick research seems to confirm that it's the sole EO temple in Prescott and, therefore, it likely serves a pan-Orthodox congregation, but it seems odd to not have a patronal name attached. It's not like they are trying to disguise their GOAA affiliation - doesn't take a lot to spot that - and if the point is to be welcoming to non-Greeks, there are lots of Eastern Saints whose popularity crosses ethnic lines and would be welcoming to most any Eastern Christian.

Just struck me a bit odd.

Many years,

Neil

Addendum: On the website of the Metropolis, it is listed only as the Greek Orthodox Church of Prescott. Offhand, I can't think of any others so styled.
Posted By: Prester John

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 09/15/09 06:31 PM

Irish,

Thanks for the kind comments. I did it during my vacation this year. (I do it for others too - http://logoswebservices.com).

We have not had a patron saint approved yet - still waiting.

In the meantime, we are still the Eastern Orthodox Church of Prescott (http://prescottorthodox.org).

sigh.
Posted By: Mateusz

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 09/20/09 11:42 AM

The website of St. Michael's Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church of Shenandoah. The first Greek-Catholic parish in the United States. I think it's new.

http://www.first-ukrainian.com/
Posted By: rwprof

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 09/20/09 05:27 PM

I was recently reading a blog by someone from the Prescott church. They are waiting for a blessing by the bishop before they use their patronal name.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 09/20/09 10:51 PM

McPhelan,

Nice website indeed at St Emilian's - very attractive and a lot of info available (the bulletin loads slowly, but is extremely well done). The photos and other info presented make clear that this is a very vibrant parish - important to those who are seeking a church to be both their spiritual home and a place of community. It's also a draw to those passing through an area who are deciding where to visit and worship while there.

Mateusz,

You're correct - the Shenandoah website is new, only 3 weeks old as a matter of fact. It's still under development and understandably has kinks (for instance, clicking thumbnails doesn't deliver an enlarged photo as promised frown ).

The photo gallery is very nice and as the info on the various pages is elaborated, I think the site is going to be a worthy representation of the first UGCC parish in the US. Btw, the 125th anniversary commemorative shirts that they offer (in yellow and blue, naturally) are very attractive smile ).

Many years,

Neil

Posted By: Two Lungs

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 09/20/09 11:22 PM

... the Shenandoah website is new, only 3 weeks old as a matter of fact. It's still under development and understandably has kinks (for instance, clicking thumbnails doesn't deliver an enlarged photo as promised ...

Look at the gallery and click the photos there.

The new mosaics add a lot to the exterior of the Church.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 09/21/09 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Two Lungs
... clicking thumbnails doesn't deliver an enlarged photo as promised ...

John,

Tried that the first time, nada - now I can't find the Gallery link to try it again confused

Mnny years,

Neil, who just noticed the page Welcome to this Holy House - very nice indeed.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 09/21/09 12:53 AM

In the course of helping our brother, Booth, locate info on St John's UGCC in Syracuse, we happened to discuss his home parish - St NIcholas in Watervliet (NY) and I chanced to look at its website - another very informative one.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 09/21/09 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by rwprof
I was recently reading a blog by someone from the Prescott church. They are waiting for a blessing by the bishop before they use their patronal name.

We just (Friday) received notice that we are blessed to be under the patronage of St. George the Great Martyr.

Now I have to recreate the header - give me some time and I'll have the new one up. Prescott Orthodox/St. George Church
Posted By: Collin Nunis

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 09/21/09 06:43 AM

I love the website! Speaks the Orthodox faith in modern lingo! Nice work!

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 09/22/09 06:36 PM

Thanks very much. Alot of time and labor went into it.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 09/23/09 06:41 PM

Well, I finally got the new header up on the site, after we finally received notice of our heavenly patron, St. George.

See it here: http://prescottorthodox.org

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 09/23/09 06:52 PM

Great site Fr.!!!!
Posted By: Inawe

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 09/26/09 10:01 PM

This thread is wonderful. So many sites present so many pictures of exquisite Churches and Spirit filled people. The information about the Liturgies and sacraments and their celebration can only be the seed of believers. Thank you all for that!

If I may, I'd like to share a site from the Latin Church. Our parish, St. Maurice in Dania Beach, Florida has a new web site, stmaurice.org. We are in the Roman Archdiocese of Miami.

I am excited to share the site with you.

It is multimedia. There are videos about some of our ministries such as our hunger program and Pax Christi and our pastor has taped messages. There are albums and we tried to convey who we are and what we are about!

The loss highlighted on the home page of the site is the closing of Resurrection Church as part of some church closings and consolidations in our Archdiocese. The caring is shared sorrow and anguish felt by both congregations involved. St. Maurice's boundaries will include the area making up Resurrection until this coming Thursday, October 1.

Please pray for the spiritual well being and growth of us all!

Back to the web site. I hope that you find it interesting.

I've been a member of the forum for a number of years and wanted to share this with all of my friends here.

I hope that I'm not acting in appropriately in posting this information. If it is not appropriate, I ask that the moderator remove it!

If you have insights which would help us as we develop the site, let me know, Please.

Thank you!

Steve

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 09/27/09 12:18 AM

Sorry about the web site link. It should read http://www.stmaurice.org

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 10/01/09 08:10 AM

Steve,

Not at all inappropriate - and nice to see a post from you, it's been a long time.

I'm having no luck getting the site to load, although the url is correct. I've been having server issues for a week now though and it may just be me - I'd like to know if anyone else was successful in opening the link.

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: Converted Viking

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 10/01/09 06:38 PM

Steve,

I'm having no luck getting the site to load, although the url is correct. I've been having server issues for a week now though and it may just be me - I'd like to know if anyone else was successful in opening the link.

Many years,

Neil

Works for me.

Viking

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 10/02/09 05:46 AM

Tonight, no problem accessing it - so, we can write my experience of last night off to the combo of server issues and the fact that IE has decided that it no longer intends to function on my PC.

Steve,

A very easy site to navigate and both the quantity and quality of information offered was impressive. Not much question either as to why the parish survived closures in the archdiocese - its vibrancy and commitment is evident throughout the site.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 10/02/09 03:22 PM

And that is the purpose of the website, I believe.

To reveal your community to your visitors. That is, after all, what they are looking for.

Who are you, what do you do, is it safe to be myself there?

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 10/03/09 06:23 AM

Bless, Father John,

Well said!

And wonderful to see that your temple and its faithful have been blessed with the patronage of Saint George.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 10/04/09 03:51 AM

Thank you, Neil.

May God grant you your heart's desire, and mercy to us sinners.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 10/08/09 02:15 PM

Dear Neil,

I am glad to read that you found the site and I really appreciate your comments about it! Lots of work went into the material on the site.

Thanks!

Steve

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 10/08/09 02:22 PM

Dear Father John,

Thank you for your remarks about our site. Like your own it is new and it's good to see that others appreciate what it does.

I join the others in this tread who congratulate you and your parish on being put under the protection of St. George. May your community share in the strength of his defense of the Faith.
Pray for our community as we do for you and yours.

Steve

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 10/09/09 07:34 PM

Thanks Steve.

Remember us in your holy prayers as well.

Now, back to two more websites.

Fr. John

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 10/12/09 06:46 AM

This website - St Andrew UGCC in Sacramento - could be great. There aren't a lot of resources but the effort to put the entire site on-line in both English and Ukrainian, side-by-side, was a wonderful idea.

Regretably, that may have been its downfall since it must have required a considerable amount of time and effort. The consequence is that the continuity is spotty and there's little to nothing current.

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: DTBrown

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 10/12/09 05:38 PM

I just stumbled across this website:

St. Paul Antiochian Orthodox Church in Emmaus, Pennsylvania

It seems well done. I wish it had a bit more meat in it (audio sermons or videos), but it does have a nice section on the faith of the Orthodox Church.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 10/13/09 08:15 PM

Neil, thank you for posting this website! It brought back fond memories, as this was the site of my parish until we moved in 2000 or so. The Ukrainians purchased the property and have fixed it up quite nicely. The temple was formerly a detached garage.

Elizabeth

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 10/20/09 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by DTBrown
I just stumbled across this website:

St. Paul Antiochian Orthodox Church in Emmaus, Pennsylvania

It seems well done. I wish it had a bit more meat in it (audio sermons or videos), but it does have a nice section on the faith of the Orthodox Church.

Dave,

Agreed and the sections (excerpted from St Tikhon's "These Truths We Hold - The Holy Orthodox Church: Her Life and Teachings") on such things as Clergy, Vestments, Church Architecture, etc, are a wonderful set of teaching tools.

Another site, recently updated I believe (because I do remember the extraordinary photo album, but not some of the other material) is that of Holy Angels Byzantine Church in San Diego. As with St Paul's that Dave referenced above, one could wish for a bit more educationally focused materials - but there are some excellent pieces excerpted from past bulletins that do provide some real substance. Visually, it is a beautiful, beautiful temple and a very nicely done website.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 10/20/09 11:03 PM

I especially like the part on the Devine Liturgy! ;-)

Deeevine!

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 10/21/09 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Prester John
I especially like the part on the Devine Liturgy! ;-)

Deeevine!

LOL, I couldn't spot that one, Father John, but ...

there are some excellent pieces excerpted from past bulletins that do provide some real substance.

which could, at a second glance, use some editorial pruning, as there are several excerpted pieces that occur, again and again, as one scrolls through the material. Still, all in all, it's a healthy beginning (and I am drawn, repeatedly, to the extravagant - in a good sense - use of iconography in the temple).

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 10/21/09 09:54 AM

Nice to find one of my own parishes to add here. The site is not especially flashy, but it has some nice materials on it, including photos of its icons, each accompanied by a link to the Prologue. (I wish they had provided the photos of the icons in place, so as to be able to visualize the interior, but one cannot have everything - at least not every time).

St George Melkite in Sacramento

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 10/22/09 04:58 AM

This site has been around for awhile, but many may not be aware of it:

St Elias Ukrainian Catholic Church (Brampton, Ontario)

It has some great articles that are worth reading.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 10/22/09 07:39 AM

Yes, St Elias certainly bears mentioning. It's link is to a wonderful resource that many of us have posted over the years.

(I wish they'd get rid of that color though. I can't truly name it, but my 6 year old - enamored of all things in the pink spectrum - tells me "it's cran-raspberry juice with vanilla ice cream, Daddy" - and I think she's right grin )

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 10/23/09 04:57 AM

I agree about that pink color. Hopefully, the St Elias website will be upgraded someday. I'd love to see some broadcasts of liturgical services from St Elias someday.
Posted By: John K

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 10/23/09 03:34 PM

There are services out there--do a search on Youtube.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 11/01/09 06:22 PM

Holy Transfiguration Melkite in McLean VA, just recently revised their website and did a nice job in doing so (except the gallery link doesn't work from the welcome page, altho it does from all the other ones).

Father Joe (Francavilla), the pastor, is an old and dear friend of mine - and, as I just told him in an e-mail, I especially liked his letter to parents reminding them that, if their children were communed and chrismated at baptism, they ought not to be first communicants or confirmands at the Latin school they might attend.

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: stivvy

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 11/09/09 01:29 PM

Well, I got our website up and running. Here it is:
http://www.sppbyzantinecatholic.org/

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 11/09/09 08:23 PM

I love the website! It would be nice to see some more pictures of the church. By the way, how did you embed the bulletins like that? Very nice.

Elizabeth

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 11/10/09 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by babochka
I love the website! It would be nice to see some more pictures of the church. By the way, how did you embed the bulletins like that? Very nice.

Elizabeth

Thank you. I used a great website tool called Yola and they supplied me with the code to imbed in HTML and simply chanegd the path in the code to the file name of the bulletin that I have uploaded to my file folder on their hosting site.

Here is the code they gave me:

<embed width="600" height="800" src="resources/November_8th_2009.pdf">

BTW, Yola can be found at http://www.yola.com/
Posted By: aramis

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 11/10/09 04:45 AM

Very nice site, stivvy. Kids page is cool, too.

Now, here's one worth seeing for "overtaken with busy"...
http://www.syromalabaraz.org/

Almost the counterpoint to that last... what not to do with flash!

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 11/10/09 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by stivvy

stivvy,

Very nice and timing is almost perfect. I just finished Directory listings for the Byzantine Ruthenian parishes in OH last night cry . So, I just now edited Ss Peter & Paul to add the webpage addy, a bulletin link, and a photo of the interior (for the use of which I would much appreciate the permission of yourself and/or Father Robert).

Two questions - (1) which (church or rectory) is 180 versus 195 (I get conflicting info from various places) and (2) do you have an exterior photo that I can use on the entry? (If so, please e-mail it to me at ec_parish_webmaster@yahoo.com )

You can see the entry here

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 11/10/09 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by aramis
Now, here's one worth seeing for "overtaken with busy"...
http://www.syromalabaraz.org/

Almost the counterpoint to that last... what not to do with flash!

aramis,

You make a very valid point. There can definitely be too much gimmickry applied to a site in the effort to make it eye-catching, appealing, etc. That revolving pic on the lower right is enough to induce vertigo.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 11/10/09 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by stivvy

stivvy,

Very nice and timing is almost perfect. I just finished Directory listings for the Byzantine Ruthenian parishes in OH last night cry . So, I just now edited Ss Peter & Paul to add the webpage addy, a bulletin link, and a photo of the interior (for the use of which I would much appreciate the permission of yourself and/or Father Robert).

Two questions - (1) which (church or rectory) is 180 versus 195 (I get conflicting info from various places) and (2) do you have an exterior photo that I can use on the entry? (If so, please e-mail it to me at ec_parish_webmaster@yahoo.com )

You can see the entry here

Many years,

Neil

Thank you very much for the inclusion. You may use the photos we have so far. I took them myself. The address is only 180 Belvedere NE. I think the other was the school that used to exist across the street. It is no longer owned by the church. The only mailing address you need is the "180".

I will be taking more pictures in the future and this will include outside work. Right now we are doing some extensive work on the front doors so I wanted to wait until that is completed which should be in the next couple weeks.
Posted By: Nelson Chase

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 11/13/09 10:02 PM

Saint Antony's Coptic Orthodox Monastery has a very beautiful new webiste. I visited the Moastery when I was a guest of HRM before they moved.

http://www.stantonymonastery.org/

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 11/14/09 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by John K
There are services out there--do a search on Youtube.

Yes. Quite a few at this channel:

St Elias Greek Catholic in Toronto on You Tube

Beautiful videos!

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 11/15/09 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Apotheoun
my own Geocities website, which was sadly closed down by Yahoo about a month ago,

The above quote, from another thread, reminded me of something I've been meaning to post and this thread is probably the best place to do it.

As noted, Yahoo closed Geocities, its free website hosting service, about a month ago. Admittedly, it announced the plan to do so a while back and recommended that site owners take appropriate steps to either upgrade to its paid service or otherwise save their pages. However, in the case of parish sites, I suspect that a lot of the warning messages fell into e-mail bins that were long since abandoned by pastors or webmasters who had moved on and been succeeded by others who never updated the contact info for the sites.

As was the case with AOL's Hometown web hosting, which closed a year ago, a lot of parishes used Geocities as a host and now may be blissfully unaware that they no longer have a presence on the web. So, if your parish was one of those, you might want to start looking for a new site. If you weren't fortunate enough to be on top of things and save the pages, you might try recovering (by copying) what you can through the Wayback Machine - the Internet Archives.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 11/16/09 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Two Lungs
... the Shenandoah website is new, only 3 weeks old as a matter of fact. It's still under development and understandably has kinks (for instance, clicking thumbnails doesn't deliver an enlarged photo as promised ...

The new mosaics add a lot to the exterior of the Church.

The problem with St Michael's UGCC in Shenandoah that John and I discussed earlier has apparently been remedied and the gallery link (and thumbnail enlargement feature) now works. (Amazing the communicative power of the net. My gripe about the link not working was barely on the forum screen for a day when the entire gallery tab disappeared, not to reappear until it was working. Obviously, someone reads what we type here smile .)

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: Tammy

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 11/16/09 11:03 PM

Is there a listing anywhere of parish bookstores? I'm closing Chaplets & Chotkis and I'd like to sell my remaining inventory to a parish bookstore for them to be able to sell at retail prices to their customers for Christmas presents. It would really be an awesome way for a local parish to raise some money.

I need to find a comprehensive list of e-mail addresses for parish bookstores so I can let them know about this sale. I've been looking at the wonderful websites listed on this thread, but most of them do not indicate if the parish has a small onsite Catholic bookstore. From my experience many parishes do have a small bookstore that is open after liturgy on Sundays, but also many do not.

This may not be the right thread for me to post this, so if it's in the wrong place, please forgive me.

Tammy

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 11/17/09 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Tammy
Is there a listing anywhere of parish bookstores? ... I need to find a comprehensive list of e-mail addresses for parish bookstores so I can let them know about this sale. I've been looking at the wonderful websites listed on this thread, but most of them do not indicate if the parish has a small onsite Catholic bookstore. From my experience many parishes do have a small bookstore that is open after liturgy on Sundays, but also many do not.

Tammy,

While I suspect that many of the wholesale and retail suppliers likely have such created such mailing lists from their customer orders, I am certain that they zealously guard those as proprietary. I am unaware of any publicly available lists for EC or EO parishes that include that kind of info.

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: bkovacs

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 12/01/09 04:45 AM

Where I usually go for Vesper services when I can. Very nice parish.

http://www.st-philip.net/index_frames.html

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 12/01/09 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by bkovacs
Where I usually go for Vesper services when I can. Very nice parish.

http://www.st-philip.net/index_frames.html

Very nice, and good to see a post from you.

If I had a complaint to make about St Philip's website, it would be the option to run it with or without frames. There are still a lot of folks on the net who don't understand what that means and how it can affect their viewing of a site.

When they click a link and find themselves faced with a page that is reduced to a thin, not very user-friendly left column, I suspect it could be a turn-off that would deter further exploration.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 12/05/09 09:43 AM

St Thomas Byzantine in Rahway, NJ has a very nicely done site (other than the out-of-date bulletin). Give particular attention to the 'Tour' link and click on the various cross (computer) icons there, which are links to photos of many of the temple's icons and other features - nice feature.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 12/14/09 10:02 PM

For what it is worth, brothers and sisters, Preachers Institute has a new header.

http://preachersinstitute.com

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 12/16/09 05:18 AM

Holy Resurrection Orthodox Church has a site that I've recently discovered. Of particular note are audio mp3s of Holy Week Services and Sermons and Talks. Also there are some lengthy Videos, including Presanctified and a Hierarchical Divine Liturgy. A great treasure trove!

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 02/03/10 10:23 AM

Very nice, Dave. Missed seeing that post previously.

It's been a while now since we've added any new sites here. Just discovered the site of Ss Cyril & Methodius in Girard and Ss Peter & Paul in Erie. Very nicely done, very clean, uncluttered, with a lot of very factual, nicely explained material and some great slideshows.

It can be seen here

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 02/13/10 12:45 PM

Gabriel Pulido, webmaster of Our Lady of the Sign Byzantine Church in Coconut Creek, FL, and Father Michael (Kane), pastor of the parish, have drawn my attention to the parish's brand-new website. It's modeled in several respects on the parish's earlier one, but with the addition of some photos and new text. It's very nice and includes some very readable educational material for visitors.

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: Didymus

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 02/15/10 04:58 AM

St. John's Episcopal Church in Detroit, MI has a heavenly choir. St. John's choir has been called upon in times past by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Detroit to sing the choral parts at a Solemn High Tridentine Mass.

Growing up in Detroit, I passed by St. John's many times and I remember hearing the choir singing.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 02/15/10 06:50 AM

Very nice site, Didymus, and beautiful audio files.

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: Porter

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 02/15/10 12:58 PM

Holy Resurrection Orthodox Church has a site that I've recently discovered. Of particular note are audio mp3s of Holy Week Services and Sermons and Talks. Also there are some lengthy Videos, including Presanctified and a Hierarchical Divine Liturgy. A great treasure trove!

Nice site. Thanks for posting it.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 02/21/10 10:48 AM

Four parishes - three websites. Three of the parishes have a common origin and one of them - Ss Peter & Paul - is the former home parish of our brother, Ed/Erie Byz.

Ss Peter & Paul Byzantine (Erie, PA) and Ss Cyril & Methodius Byzantine (Girard, PA)

(Ss Cyril & Methodius was originally established as a mission of Ss Peter & Paul in 1939 and erected as a parish in 1955)

(Note that there are actually 3 aspects to the above (Erie Byzantines) site - the shared component accessed from the web address above, and two specific components, each of which is particular to one of the two sister parishes. The latter are accessed via links at the left and right extremes of the header banner on the main page. My only complaint with the site is that I wish these links were slightly more prominent or were repeated in the selection menu on the main page - it's a bit too easy to miss them.)

and

St Nicholas Orthodox (ACROD) (Erie, PA)

(St Nicholas was founded by faithful of Ss Peter & Paul in 1938 as a consequence of the unfortunate events of the time)

and

Church of the Nativity Russian Orthodox Old Rite (Popovotsi) (ROCOR) (Erie, PA)

These are very nicely done sites with a lot of excellent educational material on each.

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: Robert Horvath

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 03/30/10 06:14 PM

I love the Old Rite website.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 03/30/10 09:18 PM

I like the changes the Church of the Nativity made to their website.
Posted By: seraphim09

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 03/31/10 03:33 PM

Has anybody listed Annunciation of the Mother of God Byzantine Catholic Parish, Homer Glen, Illinois?

http://www.byzantinecatholic.com/

They have a photo gallery worth looking at, as well as a playlist of music.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 04/01/10 08:54 AM

seraphim,

To be honest, 8 pages later, I can't remember - altho it seems likely to me that someone must have, given that we have several members from the parish, including Father Thomas, and Annunciation has been an inspiration to many. Regardless, it's certainly worth posting again. Thank you.

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: Bohdan

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 04/01/10 01:30 PM

St. Andrew's Ukrainian Orthodox Church- Kyivan Patriarchate has just constructed a new website.... http://en.standrewuoc.com/
It has some beautiful pictures from Palm Sunday. Enjoy...
Posted By: domilsean

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 04/01/10 01:46 PM

Christ the Savior Orthodox Church (OCA)is a mission parish down in Dagsboro, DE, near the Delaware beaches and Ocean City, MD.

Fr John maintains a really excellent website:
http://www.orthodoxdelmarva.org/

But I think he's one of the masterminds behind orthodoxyinamerica.org

Another Eastern Shore website that's not so good (because poor me designed it--I'm a fan of minimalist web design, especially for something like this: info, please!) is for Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Mission parish in Whaleysville, MD. It's right of US 50 before it splits with MD 90 near Ocean City, MD. Tiny place, small congregation. But great people. Most conversations are held in a mix of Ukrainian and English, and the Liturgy is about half and half. They're served by 3 priests from the north, and only get one Sunday a month, with 2 Saturdays. But I love this parish:

http://www.holytrinityuoc.org/
Posted By: Bohdan

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 04/01/10 02:01 PM

Domilsean,

Nice site by the way, sometimes simpler is better....however you list it as a mission parish yet the site says it just celebrated its 50 year anniversery. Does that mean its been a mission for 50 years?
Posted By: domilsean

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 04/01/10 03:49 PM

From what I know, they were a parish, but then closed maybe 10 years ago. They re-opened in the past 5 years or so, and now they're a mission. I might we way off on the timing, but that's the basic story.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 04/01/10 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by domilsean
Christ the Savior Orthodox Church (OCA)is a mission parish down in Dagsboro, DE, near the Delaware beaches and Ocean City, MD.

Fr John maintains a really excellent website:
http://www.orthodoxdelmarva.org/

But I think he's one of the masterminds behind orthodoxyinamerica.org

Indeed he is (as well as being the son-in-law of our own Father David (Straut))

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 04/01/10 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bohdan
St. Andrew's Ukrainian Orthodox Church- Kyivan Patriarchate has just constructed a new website.... http://en.standrewuoc.com/
It has some beautiful pictures from Palm Sunday. Enjoy...

Bohdan,

Very nice and, at a quick glance, looks to be fully bilingual. I'm impressed with both the quality and quantity of information presented.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 04/01/10 08:26 PM

Well, this is from my Latin rite (Anglican Use) parish; some of you may be interested (I'm only posting on an Eastern forum since somebody posted an Episcopalian site a while back, so I thought a Catholic church which uses similar worship would be fair game---besides, I wouldn't be a good parishioner, if I didn't do something to spread our name out, would I? :)).

www.atonementonline.com

For a history of the Anglican Use Roman Catholic parishes, go to the "Church" side of the website upon entering the link, go to "Links", under "Anglican Use" click on "The Pastoral Provision" (another website), click on "History".

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 04/01/10 08:30 PM

Now, to balance that, here is the website for St. George Maronite Catholic Church in San Antonio, TX. I went to their Rite of the Lamp (with Anaphora, that is, Eucharistic prayer & Holu Communion after the Rite) yesterday.

http://www.stgeorgesa.org/

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 04/01/10 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by seraphim09
Well, this is from my Latin rite (Anglican Use) parish; some of you may be interested (I'm only posting on an Eastern forum since somebody posted an Episcopalian site a while back, so I thought a Catholic church which uses similar worship would be fair game---besides, I wouldn't be a good parishioner, if I didn't do something to spread our name out, would I? :)).

seraphim,

Not an issue - the whole point of this thread is to let folks see the kinds of techniques that parishes are using on their websites to evangelize and to teach and edify and give folks ideas and encouragement to either improve existing or create parish websites (since so many are still w/o them - which makes no sense in this day and age). A lot of those ideas cross the bounds of Churches - sui iuris or otherwise.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 04/01/10 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by seraphim09
Now, to balance that, here is the website for St. George Maronite Catholic Church in San Antonio, TX. I went to their Rite of the Lamp (with Anaphora, that is, Eucharistic prayer & Holu Communion after the Rite) yesterday.

http://www.stgeorgesa.org/

I will always remember this parish, its people, and Father Wladimir Akeekee of blessed memory, with great fondness. Forty years ago and for almost a year, St George's was the sole connection to the East for a young Melkite 2nd Lieutenant stationed at Fort Sam.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 06/09/10 08:01 AM

It's been a while since any sites have been added here. Although I'm virtually certain this site has been linked previously, I happened to view it tonight and, unless I am very much mistaken, it's had some extensive work done and is even more impressive than I remember from before.

St George UGCC, the parish of our own Father Valerian.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 06/09/10 03:16 PM

Dear Neil,

Glory to IC XC!

Thank you for your kind words. I highly recommend our webmaster Bob. For more info on his work please visit: http://www.ecwnet.org/

Have a Blessed day!

Fr. Valerian
Posted By: Dr. Henry P.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 06/21/10 06:00 PM

St. Athanasius in Indianapolis recently updated their website.
It contains videos and pictures from recent liturgies and healing services. Please check out: http://www.saindy.com/
Posted By: Thymiato

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 06/21/10 11:15 PM

Saint Elias in Ontario has recently redone their website. The format has been considerably updated and the pink background color is gone for good.

Saint Elias UGCC

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 06/22/10 07:02 AM

Dr Henry,

The revamped website is very nicely done.

Thymiato,

Thanks for the update on St Elias. I see that the site has retained its excellence.

As to the old color scheme, my 6 year old will miss 'the pretty cran-raspberry with ginger ale and vanilla ice cream page' - but, only she biggrin .

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 07/07/10 09:11 AM

This website, St Elias Maronite in Birmingham, AL has changed since I looked at it last. I don't recollect its former style and content as being particularly noteworthy (it wasn't a site that I chose to post here), but the new style is very unusual - almost businesslike. I can't say that I'm much in favor of it - but, I'll be curious what the reaction is of others.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 07/18/10 05:27 PM

Presentation of Our Lord UGCC in Lansdale PA is in desperate need of a descent website as well as St Anne's UGCC in Warrington PA. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here you can see there not all that great.

http://www.presentationukrainiancc.com/

http://stanneukrainiancc.com/

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 07/18/10 11:59 PM

bkovacs,

I checked them out and I have to say that St Anne's isn't bad. It could definitely use a touch of color; it's bland and not eye-catching. However, from a content standpoint, it's pretty good. The Weekly Bulletin is there, contact info, nice photo array, parish news, and a brief but detailed history. I wish there was some educational material, but that's true of more than a few parishes.

Presentation is another story. It's obviously a vibrant parish - witness the many activities highlighted at the site. There is a single educational page (at the "Traditions" link), explaining the "Ukrainian Three-Bar Cross", but it's otherwise devoid of religious educational material. Overall, though, the site is way too heavy on 'the things we do to raise money', not on the things we do to worship God.

Still, the sites exist - it's a start. I've talked before - if not in this thread, about the need to develop parish sites. Both of these have obviously got webmasters with the skills to maintain them, but the burden for content development should not necessarily rest on the webmaster (unless he/she feels competent to do so and has the materials/knowledge to provide content), nor can the priest, who has myriad responsibilities already, be the one responsible. Perhaps, the parish religious ed staff (who are usually not tasked with teaching in the summer months) might be induced to peruse their materials and offer some relevant info to a webmaster for preparation and inclusion.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 07/19/10 05:11 AM

Well on the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese's website they have something called web builder for parishes. I think the Antiochians have something similar. Not sure. Why doesn't the UGCC have something like that.

http://www.orthodoxwebbuilder.com/

http://www.antiochian.org/parish_web_resources

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 07/19/10 05:15 AM

bkovacs,

I checked them out and I have to say that St Anne's isn't bad. It could definitely use a touch of color; it's bland and not eye-catching. However, from a content standpoint, it's pretty good. The Weekly Bulletin is there, contact info, nice photo array, parish news, and a brief but detailed history. I wish there was some educational material, but that's true of more than a few parishes.

Presentation is another story. It's obviously a vibrant parish - witness the many activities highlighted at the site. There is a single educational page (at the "Traditions" link), explaining the "Ukrainian Three-Bar Cross", but it's otherwise devoid of religious educational material. Overall, though, the site is way too heavy on 'the things we do to raise money', not on the things we do to worship God.

Still, the sites exist - it's a start. I've talked before - if not in this thread, about the need to develop parish sites. Both of these have obviously got webmasters with the skills to maintain them, but the burden for content development should not necessarily rest on the webmaster (unless he/she feels competent to do so and has the materials/knowledge to provide content), nor can the priest, who has myriad responsibilities already, be the one responsible. Perhaps, the parish religious ed staff (who are usually not tasked with teaching in the summer months) might be induced to peruse their materials and offer some relevant info to a webmaster for preparation and inclusion.

Many years,

Neil

St Anne's needs work. Try viewing the website in a different browser. It only renders well in IE.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 07/19/10 02:42 PM

bkovacs,

St Anne's needs work. Try viewing the website in a different browser. It only renders well in IE.

The potential for such problems exists; unless one caters to IE's idiosyncrasies in website design and development, sites tend to look better in all other browsers. OTOH, adapting to IE's flaws doesn't usually have negative results in the other browsers (altho some features may be less visually pleasing in the other browsers than they might otherwise have been).

In this case, I looked at it in both FF and Chrome and didn't see any marked differences in the rendering from the IE version that I originally viewed (except photo alignment/sizing on the home page).

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 07/20/10 09:52 AM

I don't think that we've previously highlighted any websites of parishes belonging to the Romanian GC Eparchy of St George in Canton. I just received a link to a relatively recently created website for St Michael's in Aurora, IL - which celebrated its 100th anniversary last year.

St Michael Byzantine Romanian Greek-Catholic Church

There is not anything much in the way of educational material as yet, but the site shows much promise. I was very impressed by a message in the Newsletter by the parish council chairperson on the need for communication and the historical photos and text are very nicely done. It looks to have a beautiful iconostasis.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 07/22/10 08:05 AM

A beautiful website, with some nice educational material

St Michael ACROD in St Clair

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 08/25/10 01:08 AM

We have been getting a lot of hits on our website lately.

Sts Peter and Paul, Warren Ohio

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 08/25/10 01:17 PM

stivvy,

I have been looking it at a lot lately to see what is happening with Fr. Andrew as Pastor.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 08/26/10 12:31 AM

Father Andrew has been keeping our bellies full with his cooking talents smile

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 08/27/10 07:48 AM

stivvy,

Very nice. There aren't any exterior photos of the church tho - if someone were to e-mail one to ec_parish_webmaster@yahoo.com, for use on the directory entry, it would be great (hint, hint).

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 08/31/10 03:37 AM

Finally!. Presentation of Our Lord UGCC in Lansdale PA gets a new website. And it looks great!.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 08/31/10 05:01 AM

Finally!. Presentation of Our Lord UGCC in Lansdale PA gets a new website. And it looks great!.

Very nice. If anyone is in touch w/ Father or knows the webmaster, please point out that they do need to do something with the banner, as it overhangs relevant info on several of the pages (unless the problem lies with my PC/Monitor/Browser - which is not beyond the realm of possibility - I'd appreciate hearing whether others see the same issue).

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 10/15/10 05:52 AM

The website of St Marina's Coptic Orthodox Church in Irvine, CA, the parish of Father Kyrillos, a forum member. Very nicely done and with some excellent resources from a Church that we aren't as familiar with as we might be.

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: sielos ilgesys

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 12/08/10 02:39 PM

Our parish has a new, improved website: http://stbasilsinirving.org/
There are several pix of parishioners, scenes from liturgical celebrations, our icons as well as the exterior and interior of our temple.
Posted By: Nelson Chase

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 12/08/10 09:03 PM

Wonderful!

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 12/09/10 07:56 AM

Very nice sielos! If you get an opportunity to take a photo of the exterior, I could really use a good one to replace the less than great one which I now have on our online Directory. It can be e-mailed to me at ec_parish_webmaster@yahoo.com

Thanks.

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: Hope & Memory

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 12/09/10 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by sielos ilgesys
Our parish has a new, improved website: http://stbasilsinirving.org/
There are several pix of parishioners, scenes from liturgical celebrations, our icons as well as the exterior and interior of our temple.

I attended Third Hour and Divine Liturgy at this parish last month when I was in the area. It is one of the most beautiful churches I have ever seen. Unassuming in the Ukrainian wooden church style on the outside, it is breathtaking on the inside. I hope there will soon be more pictures on the website. I forgot my camera that day and no one believes me when I tell them how beautiful it is.

If you are anywhere within a day's drive of this church (or even more), it would be worth the trip to attend Divine Liturgy, see the amazing icons and hand-painted walls and ceilings, hear the beautiful singing, and kiss Father Daniel's hand, a wonderful priest by all accounts. I cried with joy several times during the Liturgy - this Church is really amazing.

Everyone was so kind and welcoming. I wish I were closer. I even considered moving to Dallas just so I could go to this Church! smile

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 02/20/11 10:22 PM

It's been a while since anyone has posted a link to a Maronite parish website, but I came across that of Holy Family Maronite Church in Mendota Heights MN this weekend, while working on the Directory. It could do with the addition of some educational material, but it's a nicely done site that demonstrates what looks to be a small, but vibrant, parish.

Another parish website that came to my attention this weekend was that of St Jude Melkite Church in Miami FL, now pastored by Father Eugene Mitchell, an old and dear friend. The site is still in process - with a lot of the links still coming up blank - but it has a definite look of promise about it, including what it seems will be mirrored English and Spanish versions. This is the first sign in years of a viable website for that community and I'm looking forward to seeing it fleshed out.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 03/06/11 10:19 AM

The website of St Joseph the Betrothed UGCC in Chicago is well-worth seeing. Much of the website, the bulletins, and calendars are available in both English and Ukrainian. There are links to Ancient Faith Radio and to RISU, news pertinent to the UGCC, and links to the parish's Facebook page and YouTube channel. There are also children's pages. Nicely done!

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: Barberton.byz

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 03/09/11 10:49 PM

St. Nicholas Byzantine Catholic Church Barberton, Ohio
St. Nicholas - Web
St. Nicholas - Facebook
Posted By: JDC

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 03/17/11 02:34 PM

Without absolute certainty I can make the bold claim that the website is especially "worth seeing", I bring you that of St. John the Baptist UGCC in Brantford, Ontario. The gallery at least is worth seeing. Our church is very beautiful.

Please have a look. I am Roman Catholic and ignorant of the Christian East, I invite therefore your hearty correction of such mistakes as I have certainly made.

www.stjohnbrantford.com

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 03/18/11 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Barberton.byz
St. Nicholas Byzantine Catholic Church Barberton, Ohio
St. Nicholas - Web
St. Nicholas - Facebook

Very nice indeed, I see a lot of changes on the website since I looked at it last. I'll be updating the parish directory entry to include an interior photo and links to the parish's FB and YT pages.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 03/18/11 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by JDC
Without absolute certainty I can make the bold claim that the website is especially "worth seeing", I bring you that of St. John the Baptist UGCC in Brantford, Ontario. The gallery at least is worth seeing. Our church is very beautiful.

Please have a look. I am Roman Catholic and ignorant of the Christian East, I invite therefore your hearty correction of such mistakes as I have certainly made.

www.stjohnbrantford.com

Our relatively new member, JDC. promised me recently that the redesigned website of this parish would be well worth adding to this thread. He's has clearly kept that promise. Very nice already and I see that Bulletins and a contact e-mail link are coming. I'll be adding the website link to the directory entry, which already has a link to the parish FB page.

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: JDC

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 03/19/11 03:53 AM

I meant to say, anybody willing to exchange reciprocal links (yours links to my parish website, mine links to your parish website) which will help both of us improve our Google rank, please PM me with your site address.

In fact, what parties are willing, we could all of a group link one to another, the better to be more easily found by the pagan Googling masses we wish to evangelize.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 04/16/11 07:20 AM

Thanks to our friend and brother, Deacon David, for posting a link on Facebook that caused me to see this website. Holy Trinity Orthodox Church is an ACROD parish in Spring Hill, FL. Very nice site, with a lot of good material available.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/09/11 07:42 AM

The joint website of St Mary Byzantine Church in Herminie (PA) and St Stephen Byzantine Church in North Huntingdon/Irwin (PA) is very nicely done and presents some excellent material. The photo albums include some particularly interesting shots of the iconostasis under construction - not sure that I've ever seen examples of that before.

I also liked the survey, which parishioners can answer either electronically or print to paper, to assist the parish in setting priorities for upcoming spending on repairs/maintenance. It shows just how a site can be employed for both spiritual and practical purposes.

The linked facebook site offers brief, quick, timely reminders of coming events - including times for Divine Services.

Kudos to the webmistress, Kristin Fullerton/K Fullerton, one of our newest members.

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: Vassilis

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/16/11 09:02 PM

Greetings,

Apologize me for posting this topic probably in the wrong section, but I couldn't find another place in the forum to do it. Feel free to move it where it fits better.

I would like to share with you the blog site of the Greek Orthodox Church of Bordeaux, in France, dedicated to the "The Entry of the Most Holy Theotokos into the Temple" and which belongs to the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople : http://egliseorthodoxegrbx.blogspot.com/

You can find there everything related to our news, current activities, story, mainly in french language, as well as many links regarding the Orthodox Church in France. You can easily switch to english, greek or other languages with the translate google bar button in the top right of the main page.

Thank you for reading and Christos Anesti!

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/17/11 05:42 AM

Vassilis,

Welcome to the forum. A beautiful and informative site! You certainly posted it in the right forum, although I'm moving it to another thread in this same forum - 'Parish Websites Worth Seeing!' - which we use to highlight websites that are particularly noteworthy for their content and style. Our goal in that thread is to offer examples and ideas to other parishes and communities as they develop or expand their own sites.

Thank you for sharing this one with us.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/17/11 09:13 PM

The web site of St. Basil's in Irving (TX) has been recently updated with a lot of scenes from our recent liturgical clelebrations, during the Great Fast, Holy Week & Pascha (cf. "photo gallery") - incl. scenes from the baptism of a young adult @ the vigil of Pascha. I'm under the impression that adult Baptism is relatively rare in most of our Eastern Churches...

http://www.stbasilsinirving.org/

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 07/07/11 05:36 AM

St Melany the Younger Byzantine Church in Tucson has revamped their website and it is excellently done.

Besides all the expected (or hoped for) material, there are podcasts of homilies by Father Robert (Rankin), Gospel Readings, and Zenit links. A 'Virtual Tour' link doesn't seem to be working as yet, but the site is a definitely worthwhile addition to this list.

Kudos to Patrick Cullen, the webmaster, and Father Robert. And, special thanks to Patrick for taking the time to provide me w/ updated links and a better photo for use in the parish's directory entry.

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: Economos Roman V. Russo

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 07/07/11 02:01 PM

Zenit links! The less I hear from the Legionnaires of Christ the better!

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 07/09/11 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Ot'ets Nastoiatel'
Zenit links! The less I hear from the Legionnaires of Christ the better!

Bless, Father Economos,

I don't want to get into a debate here about the value of Zenit (or other Catholic media), to ECs or to Catholics generally - it's not why this ongoing thread exists. And, if this thread starts - even slightly - to look like that's happening, the posts on the subject will be moved elsewhere. However, I do want to reply to our obvious disagreement as to whether a Zenit link on a parish website is or is not a 'plus'.

One can certainly find fault with Zenit but the fact remains that it is a reasonably accurate source of Catholic news. As such, it can be a valuable resource. Appearances to the contrary, as one looks around the web, not everyone in the Catholic world - Latin or Eastern - participates at on-line venues, such as this forum. And, frankly, the resulting knowledge level about happenings in the Catholic world, outside one's own parish bounds (beyond scandals), is pitiful (not that it necessarily improves with on-line participation, as a quick look at principally Latin fora will affirm).

Thus, I submit that any medium which can potentially cure that abyssmal knowledge gap is worth the space afforded the link.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 08/06/11 08:53 AM

St John the Baptist Orthodox Church (OCA) in the Hanover Section of Nanticoke PA has an excellent website. It's attractive, informative, and offers a variety of resources.

The webdesign - by Orthodox Web Solutions - is impressive.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 08/14/11 08:43 AM

I was looking at the website of St John the Baptist Byzantine Cathedral in Munhall. It's been revamped and it's quite nicely done.

I just read the Cathedral History in its entirety - it's long, detailed, and well-written.

It sorts of comes to a halt in the time of Bishop Judson, with narrative being replaced by a chronology - that appears to still in process, as much is in one-line note form and there are even still some obvious 'notes to self' ('check date, same as day of Steelers-Chargers game' biggrin )

There is also a History of the Metropolitan Church, which I haven't read as yet.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 08/15/11 02:15 AM

I don't know if this one's been mentioned here yet or not:

Holy Trinity Orthodox Church in State College, PA:

http://holytrinity-oca.org/

It's an informative website of a very active and alive parish. We visited for Liturgy today and were greatly impressed with all the ministries the parish is involved in with the local community.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 08/15/11 03:54 AM

I don't know if this one's been mentioned here yet or not:

Dave,

Thanks for adding that - and for the qualifying observation up front. You voice a problem with which I've been wrestling for a couple weeks now - i.e., "I don't know if this one's been mentioned here yet or not".

Since I look at several dozen sites a week, both Catholic and Orthodox (and, occasionally others) in the course of working on the directory, every time I go to post a link here, I wonder that same thing. And, the thread has now grown long enough that it isn't practical to scan it and check.

I'm working on an idea that I hope will solve that. We'll see.

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: Fr. Jim

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 08/27/11 12:41 PM

The website for St Mary (Herminie) & St. Stephen's (North Huntingdon) has been updated and given a new look. All comments are appreciated to improve the website.

Thanks,

www.bcchnh.org

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 10/07/11 12:47 PM

Although the site is in Italian, it enables contact with the very ancient Italo-Albanian Byzantine Catholic Church.

It's the site of the parish of the Most Holy Saviour in Cosenza, Eparchy of Lungro:

http://www.sotir.it/

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 10/08/11 07:03 AM

I'm not certain, but I think that St Gregory Armenian Catholic Church in Glendale may have been mentioned here previously. However, they have a new website that is well worth viewing. (Thanks to our brother, griego catolico, for bringing it to my attention!) There are definitely some Western aspects to it, not surprisingly, but it also has a lot of purely Armenian material.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 10/08/11 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Fr. Jim
The website for St Mary (Herminie) & St. Stephen's (North Huntingdon) has been updated and given a new look. All comments are appreciated to improve the website.

Bless, Father Jim,

Thanks for posting the link. I was trying to remember the previous format, but can't (website overload has burned out the memory cells).

I really like the Events Calendar. One suggestion I'd offer on it is to differentiate as to which Divine Liturgy is being served at which Church. I realize that your parishioners know and that others can pick it up from the bulletins (as well as on the front page), but visitors skimming the site quickly may be stopped in their tracks and left wondering.

Overall, I like it, but any chance that the background of the link bars could be a tad less vivid shade of green biggrin ? I think it would make the titles on them a bit easier to read.

I've updated the parish entries on our directory to reflect changes in the website and e-mail addresses.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 10/08/11 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by sielos ilgesys
Although the site is in Italian, it enables contact with the very ancient Italo-Albanian Byzantine Catholic Church.

It's the site of the parish of the Most Holy Saviour in Cosenza, Eparchy of Lungro:

Sielos,

Nice - and it offers a photo of an Eastern hierarch not often seen, Kyr Dimitrios (Salachas) of the Apostolic Exarchate for Faithful of the Byzantine Greek Church. The language aside, it's nicely done and has some mp3s, among other resources on it. Thanks for the link.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 10/08/11 08:46 AM

To follow up on sielos' post ...

Please, if anyone comes across a foreign language parish website and can tell - despite the language differences - that it offers good resources and/or that it's nicely formatted, don't hesitate to post the link here and let us learn from it.

Many years,

Neil

St. Sophia UGC Parish: DFW area - 11/10/11 04:44 AM

has a new & improved website; still under construction:

http://www.stsophiaukrainian.cc/

Re: St. Sophia UGC Parish: DFW area - 11/10/11 07:37 AM

Umm, sielos ...

St Sophia's webmaster is a new member here and has been posting about the site for a few days now - right in this very forum biggrin

Many years,

Neil

Re: St. Sophia UGC Parish: DFW area - 11/16/11 07:28 AM

In a thread on children in church, Betty posted a link to a piece on the site of St Andrew Antiochian Orthodox Church, Riverside, CA. The article was all that Betty promised, but even more impressive was the absolutely beautiful parish website, replete with all the info and features one could hope to find. It's well worth looking at for ideas and inspiration (as well as to enjoy the beauty of the temple).

Many years,

Neil

Re: St. Sophia UGC Parish: DFW area - 11/16/11 12:58 PM

Esu kaltas.
My bad.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 02/12/12 02:33 PM

This is not a Parish website, but the Eparchy of Newton has a new format.
Posted By: JEK

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 02/29/12 04:17 AM

Saint Michael the Archangel Cathedral, Passaic, NJ Website
http://stmichaelsarchangel.org/
Any thoughts?
Posted By: Curious Joe

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 02/29/12 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by JEK
Any thoughts?

As a former parishioner, I check back on this site every now and then, always hoping for something new. Other than the schedule of weekly worship, it seems as if this rest of this website is static and has not been updated in a long time.

I also wonder if my beloved Fr. Marcel actually checks email that might be sent to his listed address ...

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 02/29/12 11:03 AM

Thank you for your thoughts Curious Joe, it is my understanding emails are checked.
Posted By: johnbyz

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 02/29/12 10:50 PM

Glory to Jesus Christ!

I am a parishioner at St. Barbara Byzantine Catholic Chapel in Dayton, Ohio. I was tasked this year to develop a new website for our parish, and I would appreciate anyone's input on how to make it better. Please visit the site at http://www.stbarbarabyzantinecatholic.com

Thanks!
Posted By: CDB1718

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 02/29/12 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by JEK
Any thoughts?

I like your pictures! I couldn't find a clear reference to what religion and jurisdiction the cathedral belongs to. I happen to know, but people new to the neighborhood looking it up might not.

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 03/01/12 12:11 AM

Thank you for your kind comments CDB1718! If you go to the "History" section (third tab in) it explains the entire history of the Cathedral (Byzantine Catholic), if you wish to see some old historical photographs of the Cathedral, feel free to visit www.tccweb.org click on the "Gallery" button at the left, then click the drop down bar for Saint Michaels, we also have an extensive history at http://www.tccweb.org/ourchurches.htm just scroll down to Saint Michaels Section.

Thank you again! I will pass your comment along!

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 03/01/12 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by johnbyz
I am a parishioner at St. Barbara Byzantine Catholic Chapel in Dayton, Ohio. I was tasked this year to develop a new website for our parish, and I would appreciate anyone's input on how to make it better. Please visit the site at http://www.stbarbarabyzantinecatholic.com

John,

My first impression is very positive. I want to look at it more in depth and comment at more length, which I'll try to do this weekend. One quick note, though, ... in the history, there is a line of text that reads "Bishop John Kudrick, parch of Parma", which you might want to fix. (Not nit-picking, it just jumped out at me as I was visually scanning the page).

Originally Posted by JEK
Saint Michael the Archangel Cathedral, Passaic, NJ Website http://stmichaelsarchangel.org/ Any thoughts?

Joy,

I've probably visited the website periodically, as Joe has, but I peruse a few hundred such each year, chiefly in conjunction with developing the online parish directory, but also to herald those that are particularly good (the reason this thread was begun).

End result is that I can rarely remember what one looked like the last time by the time I see it again and that's the case with St Michael's. So, in that respect, my observations won't mirror Joe's, because they'll be more akin to a first-timer's reaction than that of the recurring visitor. The perspectives are different, but both have their place and their value.

As with what I posted above to John, I want to offer some comments (and I actually spent quite a while reading the Cathedral site last night), but am going to defer to the weekend, when I can do so with a bit more leisure.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 03/01/12 12:57 PM

Neil:

That was why I was asking, to obtain feedback, positive or not and then pass it along, I can appreciate what you mean as I also must review Lord knows how many sites per year of all different topics, subjects, formats, etc. I know how very busy you are so please dont take the time, it was just a question in general for basic overall comments but I appreciate your kind attention.
Posted By: johnbyz

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 03/02/12 03:05 PM

Neil,

Thank you for browsing the site. I appreciate any feedback that I can get. I will get on the typo right away!

Peace!
Posted By: Lawrence

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 03/14/12 12:49 AM

This is my parish http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FYw01JEq4Y enjoy.
Posted By: Etnick

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 03/14/12 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lawrence

Very nice. Beautiful iconostas!

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 03/14/12 06:57 AM

Lawrence, my friend, as Etnick said, a beautiful iconostasis. When I start putting up directory entries for the Eparchy of St Nicholas, I'll be hoping that you can get me a couple of photos to illustrate it.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 07/07/12 03:45 AM

Holy Trinity Cathedral, San Franciscoc (OCA) rolled out a nice new website a couple of weeks ago. :-)
Posted By: Gene

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/24/13 08:52 PM

I just recently built a site for my parish.
SS Peter and Paul(UGCC) Mt. Carmel, PA
http://sspeterandpaulmc.org
Posted By: Fr. Jim

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/27/13 03:21 PM

St. Stephen's (North Huntingdon, PA) & St. Mary's (Hermine, PA) has been updated.

http://www.bcchnh.org
Posted By: Barberton.byz

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 12/19/13 09:26 AM

A new Facebook page: Eparchy of Parma
Posted By: Dcn Anton

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/27/14 11:11 PM

Holy Trinity-St Nicholas Russian Greek-Catholic Church (St Kilda East, Victoria, Australia) website has recently been re-modeled: http://www.stnich.org
Posted By: shawnbm

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 05/28/14 10:48 AM

I like Heart of Jesus Maronite Catholic Church in Fort Lauderdale, Florida--not far from my home! www.heartofjesus.org
Posted By: Slavophile

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 06/01/14 05:34 PM

It appears that I have not posted my own parish's website here. Please visit

http://www.sttheoscardiff.org.uk

to see what we get up to in Wales.
Posted By: 8IronBob

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 06/26/14 06:53 PM

Well, I know that we have the Eparchy of Parma website, but the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist itself does not have one, at least not a decent one. Our neighboring Cathedral of St. Josaphat (UGCC) does have a website actively updated for both the Cathedral Parish and for the Eparchy that it serves. Just wish we could use their model to bring new 21st Century Evangelization to our Eparchy. Sad. Although as Barberton.byz pointed out, we do have Facebook pages for a lot of the parishes in our area of the Eparchy, including the Eparchy itself, and the Cathedral at least is on Facebook, just not a standalone website. smile
Posted By: AllCatholic

Re: Parish Websites Worth Seeing - 09/28/15 02:35 PM

Our website is under the umbrella website of the Eparchy's list of Parishes. It only has contact info and a link to our Facebook page, which is more active.

https://www.facebook.com/Our-Lady-o...tholic-Church-Worcester-MA-125900079977/

You can't do some of the nice things found on websites, but for our practical purposes, it works.

Kathleen
© 2019 The Byzantine Forum