www.byzcath.org

Most Eastern Christian City In America

Posted By: Lawrence

Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 01:42 AM

So what is it ? What city has, OR HAD the highest number of Eastern Rite and Orthodox churches in proportion to the population. Probably some town in Pennsylvania, but I'm also wondering if at one time if wasn't Gary Indiana. Right now I'm trying to track down every Eastern church that ever existed in Gary. Got the idea after driving around the city and spotting quite a few onion domes.
Posted By: Ray S.

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 02:03 AM

Lawrence,

It would be some city in Alaska. Orthodoxy is the largest religion in Alaska.
Posted By: Two Lungs

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 02:41 AM

Maybe Parma? It has four or five Cathedrals.
Posted By: Two Lungs

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 02:55 AM

Maybe Waterville, Maine?

St. Joseph Maronite Church(Maronite-Brooklyn)
3 Appleton Street
Waterville, ME 04901
Phone: (207) 872-8515

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 03:31 AM

Two Lungs

I thought about Parma, but I think Youngstown (which now actually has a smaller population) has it beat with at least 12 Eastern churches to Parma's 8. Lorain also has at least 8.
Posted By: Pani Rose

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 03:55 AM

I was reading a paper on the Slavic population of Butte, Montana which is really large. It has a large Serbian Orthodox Church and five Catholic Churches. Surely in a town like that there are Byzantines, I wonder why no Church.
Posted By: djs

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 05:20 AM

Johnstown PA and adjoining burbs has St. Mary's (Pokrov) and Holy Trinity BCC's, St. John the Baptist UGCC, St. Peter and Paul Ukrainian Orthodox, St. John the Baptist OCA (was ROGC), two Serbian Orthodox churches - St. Nicholas, and St. George, St. Mary's Antiochian (formerly Syrian Orthodox) - just a 15 minute drive from Antiochian Village, St. Mary's Helenic Orthodox Church, and Christ the Savior ACROD cathedral.

Interestingly, St. Mary's in the Cambria city neighborhood is flanked on side by a St. Stephens' Slovak RCC, and the other by St. Casimir (Polish) which recently merged with the small Hungarian parish (St. Emerich's) just behind it. Just beyond St. Stephen's is St. George's Serbian and Immaculate Conception (Bavarian) RCC. In the other direction iss St. Rochus (Croatian), a Magyar reformed temple, a Slovak Lutheran parish, and finally St. Columba (Irish). There has been a ethnic festival at Labor day weekend in the neighborhood for the past ten years or so. St. Mary's sells several tens of thousands of holupki and pyrohy - with a lot of kolbassi and cheregy each year. And quite a lot of beer. But that's another thread.

http://www.visitjohnstownpa.com/daytrips/cambria.php

http://www.pitt.edu/~zander/CambriaCity.html

The second link shows the main door at St. Mary's BCC with Pokrov mosaic and doors that are iconogrpahic depictions of the Eastern Fathers in stained glass. But the church with the caption St. Mary's is actually a rear view of St. Casimir's.
Posted By: Irish Melkite

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 09:39 AM

Lawrence,

Fascinating question. I'm faced with a dilemna because I don't know the population involved, but I'm struck by the significant number of Eastern parishes, Catholic and Orthodox, in Boston.

By my count, Boston hosts 4 Cathedrals and 14 churches, representing 15 jurisdictions - 3 Catholic, 10 Eastern Orthodox (including 3 of "irregular" status), and 2 Oriental Orthodox. (I listed, from nostalgia, but didn't count, the suppressed RGC chapel of Our Lady of Kazan, beloved of Dr. John, Steve/Three Cents, and myself).

Jurisdiction is in first parentheses; second parenthetical is the Boston neighborhood in which it's located.

Annunciation Cathedral (GOAA) (Roxbury)
Holy Trinity Cathedral (OCA) (Fenway)
Our Lady of the Annunciation Cathedral (Melkite GC) (Roslindale)
Saint George Cathedral (Albanian-OCA) (So. Boston)

'Agia Skepi Theotokou (Greek-OC*) (Roslindale)
Christ the King (UGCC) (Jamaica Plain)
Epiphany (ROCOR) (Roslindale)
Holy Resurrection (Bulgarian) (Allston)
Holy Trinity (Albanian-GOAA) (So. Boston)
Mekane Hiwot St. Michael (Ethiopian Tewahedo) (Roxbury)
Our Lady of the Cedars of Lebanon (Maronite) (Jamaica Plain)
Our Lady of Kazan (RGCC) (So. Boston) (suppressed)
Saint Andrew the First-Called Apostle (UOCA) (Jamaica Plain)
Saint Anna (HOCNA) (Roslindale)
Saint George (AOCA) (W. Roxbury)
Saint John the Baptist (Albanian-OCA) (So. Boston)
Saint John the Baptist (GOAA) (So. End)
Saint Matthew (SOCA) (W. Roxbury)
Saint Nektarios (GOAA) (Roslindale)

*not sure precisely which jurisdiction claims this one

This doesn't take into account the myriad additional temples (Armenian - Catholic & Orthodox, Coptic, Romanian - Catholic & Orthodox, Serbian, as well as more of all those above) in the surrounding cities and towns (nor does it include the Latin national parishes with a Slav orientation, that DJS tried to sneak in :rolleyes: ).

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: Mike C.

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 01:27 PM

Philadelphia has a number of Eastern Catholic, Orthodox, an other also. Not sure of the exact numbers. One neighborhood, the Northern Liberties section, has the Ukranian Cathedral, and 3 Russian Orthodox Churches within a 5 block area of each other.
Posted By: Diak

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 01:41 PM

I'd throw Chicago in as well. One can easily walk from the OCA Cathedral south to the Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral (Archbishop Vsevelod) to St. Nicholas Catherdral and Sts. Volodymyr and Olha and then have some wonderful food.
Posted By: Pavloosh

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 01:42 PM

OK - now it's Scranton Pennsylvania's turn!

Nine [9] Eastern Christian Churches in the city:
St. Vladimir Ukrainian Catholic
St. Joseph Melkite
St. Ann Maronite
Annunciation Greek Orthodox
St. Michael Ukrainian Orthodox
St. John Ruthenian Catholic
St. Nicholas Rusyn Orthodox
St. Mary Ruthenian Catholic
SS. Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox

Now let's include the twelve [12] others
within Lackawanna County:
St. Mary Rusyn Orthodox
SS. Cyril and Methodius Ukrainian
Catholic
Holy Ghost Ruthenian Catholic
St. Andrew Ukrainian Orthodox
St. Michael Russian Orthodox
SS. Peter and Paul Ukrainian Catholic
St. John Russian Orthodox
St. Nicholas Ruthenian Catholic
St. Stephen Russian Orthodox
St. Michael Ruthenian Catholic

Our immediate area of Pennsylvania has been well blessed with a variety of Eastern Christian traditions. But, as far as a visible ecumenical spirit here is concerned, only the Ukrainian Catholic and Ukrainian Orthodox relate beautifully together as brothers and sisters in Jesus Christ. Getting the Rusyns and Russians to interact with the Ukrainians is like pulling the proverbial teeth.

A thought: if the Ruthenian Catholic Church revises the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom without regard for the other traditions, it will be a backward step for ecumenism. It is not furthering Great Pope John Paul II's call to unity. Just when we Eastern Catholics should be reaching out to our Orthodox brothers and sisters, Pittsburgh behaves as if the Ruthenians owns the Liturgy. What is also sad, is that the parishioners of the Byzantine Catholic Church have no voice.

God Help Them and Us!
Posted By: JonnNightwatcher

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 02:05 PM

Originally posted by Pavloosh:
OK - now it's Scranton Pennsylvania's turn!

Nine [9] Eastern Christian Churches in the city:
St. Vladimir Ukrainian Catholic
St. Joseph Melkite
St. Ann Maronite
Annunciation Greek Orthodox
St. Michael Ukrainian Orthodox
St. John Ruthenian Catholic
St. Nicholas Rusyn Orthodox
SS. Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox

Now let's include the twelve [12] others
within Lackawanna County:
St. Mary Rusyn Orthodox
SS. Cyril and Methodius Ukrainian
Catholic
Holy Ghost Ruthenian Catholic
St. Andrew Ukrainian Orthodox
SS. Peter and Paul Ukrainian Catholic
St. John Russian Orthodox
St. Nicholas Ruthenian Catholic
St. Stephen Russian Orthodox
St. Michael Ruthenian Catholic

Our immediate area of Pennsylvania has been well blessed with a variety of Eastern Christian traditions. But, as far as a visible ecumenical spirit here is concerned, only the Ukrainian Catholic and Ukrainian Orthodox relate beautifully together as brothers and sisters in Jesus Christ. Getting the Rusyns and Russians to interact with the Ukrainians is like pulling the proverbial teeth.

A thought: if the Ruthenian Catholic Church revises the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom without regard for the other traditions, it will be a backward step for ecumenism. It is not furthering Great Pope John Paul II's call to unity. Just when we Eastern Catholics should be reaching out to our Orthodox brothers and sisters, Pittsburgh behaves as if the Ruthenians owns the Liturgy. What is also sad, is that the parishioners of the Byzantine Catholic Church have no voice.

God Help Them and Us!
must be nice, there's not a d--- thing here in Chattanooga for Eastern Catholics, not even an occasional typica group. be grateful for your blessings.
Much Love,
Jonn
Posted By: Ung-Certez

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 02:31 PM

What percentage of the OCA's "Russians" are actually Great Russian? Aren't most of them descendants of Galician Lemkos,Boikos and Subcarpathian Rusyns?

Ungcsertezs (MagyarOroszCsertezs)
Posted By: Wolfgang

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 02:33 PM

John,
How did you happen to get interested in Eastern Christianity if there are no Eastern churches in your area? I don't mean to pry, just curious.
Wolfgang
Posted By: ProCatholico

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 03:12 PM

This is all quite interesting indeed.

Most of the American cities in which Easterner's form a majority or sizable minority seem to be in the traditional areas where the first Eastern European or Hellenic immigrants settled.

However I'd like to add a note on changing demographics in the nation. Take Florida for example and the city of Miami, below is the listing of Eastern churches in the Greater Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area:

EASTERN CATHOLIC:

-Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (UGCC)-Miami

-Our Lady of Lebanon (Maronite)-Miami

-St. Basil the Great (BCC)-North Miami

-St. Jude (Melkite)-Miami

EASTERN ORTHODOX:

-Christ the Savior Cathedral (OCA)-Miami

-SS. Peter and Paul (OCA)-Miami

-St. Jude Hispanic Orthodox Chapel (GOA)-Miami

-St. Sophia Cathedral (GOA)-Miami

-St. Andrew (GOA)-Miami

-St. George Cathedral (Antiochian)-Miami

-Our Lady of Regla (Antiochian)-Miami

-St. Peter's (Antiochian)-Miami

-St. Nicholas (UOC)-Cooper City (Miami)

Therefore we have a total of 13 Eastern churches in the Miami area alone, this list does not include the surrounding cities which also have Eastern churches.

And almost forgot, I looked up the religion demographics of Alaska and currently the largest single religious denomination is Roman Catholicism.

Anyway, just added this to illustrate the trends in population changes that have occured throughout the past decades in our country.

ProCatholico
Posted By: Chtec

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 04:07 PM

Let's not forget Wilkes-Barre!!! biggrin

I don't think it is the MOST Eastern Christian city, but it should rank high. I mean, it has 2 OCA, 2 Ruthenian, 2 Maronite, 1 Patriarchal Russian, 1 Ukrainian Catholic, 1 Antiochian Orthodox, 1 Greek Orthodox... I don't think I'm missing any...

Plus, it has it's own Orthodox Saint. That's gotta add some bonus points.

Dave
Posted By: Tony

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 04:25 PM

Originally posted by ProCatholico:

[b]EASTERN ORTHODOX:

-Christ the Savior Cathedral (OCA)-Miami

-SS. Peter and Paul (OCA)-Miami

-St. Jude Hispanic Orthodox Chapel (GOA)-Miami

-St. Sophia Cathedral (GOA)-Miami

-St. Andrew (GOA)-Miami

-St. George Cathedral (Antiochian)-Miami

-Our Lady of Regla (Antiochian)-Miami

-St. Peter's (Antiochian)-Miami

-St. Nicholas (UOC)-Cooper City (Miami)

Therefore we have a total of 13 Eastern churches in the Miami area alone, this list does not include the surrounding cities which also have Eastern churches.

ProCatholico [/b]
Dear ProCatholico,

Cooper City is Broward County, not Dade, Miami is in Dade. If you are gonna count Cooper city as Miami then there are some more GOA parishes (one on 125th Street and St. Demetrios in Ft Lauderdale at least) and at least one OCA parish (St Nicholas in Wilton Manors) to include, and there was a Coptic parish in Pompano (also Broward).

There used to be and still is AFAIK St. Vladimir's ROCOR almost across the street from the UGCC in Miami. There was also the rather prominent St. Jude Melkite Catholic Church on Brickell Avenue. Then there was also St. Athanasius (GOA) in Miami in my time there. I find it interesting that there is a St Jude chapel in the GOA...

St Peter and OL of Regla are Antiochian Orthodox in the Western Rite.

Tony
Posted By: Fr. Deacon Lance

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 04:40 PM

I think it would be a toss up between Pittsburgh and Chicago. But are we talking city limits, county, or greater metropolitan area? Number of parishes or number of parishioners?
Posted By: djs

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 04:43 PM

Neil,

It is arguable that my including Woodvale, Conemuagh, and Westmont churches is cheating. But for fair comparison it should be noted that the encompassed area had a population of probably ~40,000 - in contrast to Boston etc.

I only added the note on Cambria City for interest, and because of the Slavic food festival thread. To get a perspective on the area, note that encompasses about the same area as the Back Bay.

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 04:49 PM

Hi Ungcsertezs!
Many, many of the so-called Russian Orthodox churches here in Northeastern Pennsylvania were actually establihed by Ukrainian immigrants, but because of little or no formal education they called themselves Russyny, Russian, Austrian, Hungarian, etc. A good example: one of the "Russian" Orthodox parishes here recently celebrated its centennial and the official spokesman of that parish stated that the parish was organized by Russians from Galicia. Some people don't know what they don't know!
Pavloosh
P.S. Ooops, add two more Eastern Christian churches to the Lackawanna County list - All Saints Russian Orthodox and Transfiguration Ruthenian Catholic. That adds up to 12 parishes in Scranton alone plus 14 in other towns of the County - total 26.
Shall we pray that All May Be One?

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 05:03 PM

Dear Tony,

One mistake, please don't be too angered. wink

Cooper City is near the limit of the Broward/Miami-Dade county line and thats the only reason I included it.

I mentioned in my post that there are many Eastern churches in the surroundng cities as well so I dont understand exactly why you posted that comment.

As for St. Vladamirs, I never heard of it but I assure you it is not across the street from the Ukrainian Catholic Church (b/c I've been there)

And if you scroll up you'll see I did in fact list St. Jude's-Melkite.

And there is no St. Athanasius any longer, as I used the current directory for the GOA, that parish must have closed.

And you are correct, St. Peter and OL of Regla are Western Rite, but Antiochians nonetheless. Shouldnt exclude them over not being Eastern enough. :p

ProCatholico

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 05:22 PM

While Pittsburgh, Chicago, or Philly might take the proverbial cake, I think Wilkes-Barre beats Scranton 10 to 9. biggrin

Ruthenian:
St. Mary's
St. John's (some might argue that it's "Wilkes-Barre Township" but I'm going by address)

OCA:
Holy Resurrection
Holy Trinity

Maronite:
St. Anthony's
St. George's

Ukrainian GC:
Ss. Peter and Paul's

Antiochian:
St. Mary's

GOA:
Annunciation

Russian Patriarchal:
St. Nicholas

Read 'em and weep! biggrin

Dave

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 05:49 PM

Hey Chtec [aka Dave]!
The "read em and weep" comment is so typical of the Wikes-Barre parochial mentality: "mine is better/bigger than yours". Are Wilkes-Barre's "Byzantine pyrohy" better than Scranton's too? LOL
Na zdarovlya!
Pavloosh
Posted By: Fr. Deacon Lance

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 05:51 PM

Going by eparchial sees Chicago is 1st with 7, New York 2nd with 6, and Pittsburgh 3rd with 5. I only counted SCOBA + ROCOR, and Greek Catholic jurisdictions.

Chicago-OCA, GOA, Serbian, Ukrainian, Romanian, ROCOR, UGCC

New York-OCA, GOA, AOA, Ukranian, Bulgarian, ROCOR

Pittsburgh-OCA, GOA, AOA, Serbian, Byzantine Catholic

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 05:54 PM

My apologies for the lousy arithmetic:
There are 9 Eastern Christian churches in Scranton and 14 in other parts of Lackawanna County - total 23.

We may be known for our good Byzantine pyrohy but not for our arithmetic. LOL
Pavloosh

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 06:25 PM

I think the winner might be Ambridge Pennsylvania. It's population is a mere 7460, but it has 1 Byzantine Rite, 1 Ukrainian Rite, 1 Greek Orthodox, 1 Ukrainian Orthodox, 1 Carpatho-Russian Orthodox and 1 OCA Church for a total of 6.

For a city more than 10 times larger, Youngstown Ohio (80.026) is also pretty impressive. 4 Byzantine Rite, 2 Greek Orthodox, 2 OCA, 2 Serbian Orthodox, 1 Ukrainian Rite, 1 Byzantine-Romanian Rite, 1 Maronite, 1 Ukrainian Orthodox, 1 Carpatho-Russian and 1 Antiochian Orthodox, for a total of 16 which percentage wise beats any of the large cities by a wide margin.

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 06:32 PM

Originally posted by ProCatholico:
Dear Tony,
Cooper City is near the limit of the Broward/Miami-Dade county line and thats the only reason I included it.

As for St. Vladamirs, I never heard of it but I assure you it is not across the street from the Ukrainian Catholic Church (b/c I've been there)

And if you scroll up you'll see I did in fact list St. Jude's-Melkite.

And there is no St. Athanasius any longer, as I used the current directory for the GOA, that parish must have closed.
Dear ProCatholico,

Yes you mentioned St Jude Melkite, my eyes didn't catch it... :rolleyes:

Now, I also used to infrecuently attend daily morning Divine Liturgy and occasionally Sunday Liturgy at the Ukrainians...but that was about or over 10 years ago. I used to work at 57th Ave in the Blue Lagoon office park...the UGCC was between my home and work. Very convenient.

Perhaps my memory played a trick on me with the street, the ROCOR website gives the address of St. Vladimir's as 101 NW 46th Avenue not 57th where the Ukies are. In any event it was there in that area when I last looked, I was last there in that small ROCOR parish over 10 years ago.

You still missed Annunciation at 12250 NW 2nd Avenue. That is still on the GO website, I have been there, and they made news with a fire back in the '90s.

And there are the Serbs at St. Simeon Mirotocivi
175 NW 154th Street, a small community with their own building and in my time with regular services.

When I was at St. Athanasius back in the '90s it seemed vibrant, I wonder what happened.

Tony
smile

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 06:42 PM

Originally posted by Pavloosh:
Are Wilkes-Barre's "Byzantine pyrohy" better than Scranton's too? LOL
Na zdarovlya!
Pavloosh
I dunno, but I've heard people in Wilkes-Barre call holubki "piggies"... why? I have no idea.

Anyone? Anyone? smile

Dave

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 06:45 PM

Originally posted by Chtec:
I dunno, but I've heard people in Wilkes-Barre call holubki "piggies"... why? I have no idea.

Anyone? Anyone? smile

Dave
Dave,

I learned "piggies" from Genny and Stanley (Eternal memory!) when I was in WB that summer...

Tony
smile

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 06:49 PM

Originally posted by Tony:

When I was at St. Athanasius back in the '90s it seemed vibrant, I wonder what happened.
In any event that church was down near 57th Avenue, somewhere between Coral Way and 8th Street (SW), it was in a residential neighborhood. Perhaps it was St. Anastasios but I think it was Athanasis. Maybe it was a bit more west...but it was there.
Posted By: Tim Cuprisin

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 07:25 PM

Originally posted by Chtec:
[QUOTE]I've heard people in Wilkes-Barre call holubki "piggies"... why? I have no idea.
Dave
I can't answer the "why", but holubki are often referred to as "pigs in a blanket," although every holubek I've ever consumed came from a cow, rather than a pig.

--tim
Posted By: Anna

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 09:56 PM

I had to jump in here-I once counted all the Eastern Churches in the Cleveland area and came up with about 50! (Orthodox and Catholic) Anna
Posted By: Ray S.

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 11:15 PM

I still think you are all wrong:

"At the sale of Alaska, everyone thought that orthodoxy would disappear because all the Russians left. Actually quite the contrary has happened - we are now the largest church in Alaska," says Bishop Nikolai, the Russian Orthodox bishop of Alaska.
We are now the largest church in Alaska says Bishop Nikolai
Posted By: Orthodox Pyrohy

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 11:36 PM

Johnstown does have a ton of churches.
When you drive down the street to the Ukrainian Catholic Church, you pass three Roman Churches in a few blocks. Two of the RCC have a parking lot between them!!

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/03/05 11:44 PM

Dear Ray,

As bad as this may sound, and you must forgive me-but I'm still going to have to disagree with bishop Nikolai. wink

According to Alaskan census statistics, standing at 8% the Roman Catholic church is the largest single religious group in the state.

ProCatholico

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/04/05 12:14 PM

Originally posted by Deacon Lance:
Going by eparchial sees Chicago is 1st with 7, New York 2nd with 6, and Pittsburgh 3rd with 5. I only counted SCOBA + ROCOR, and Greek Catholic jurisdictions.

Chicago-OCA, GOA, Serbian, Ukrainian, Romanian, ROCOR, UGCC

New York-OCA, GOA, AOA, Ukrainian, Bulgarian, ROCOR

Pittsburgh-OCA, GOA, AOA, Serbian, Byzantine Catholic
Deacon Lance,

I think you're being a bit parochial here biggrin - hardly in keeping with John's occasional reminders that this forum is not only just ByzCath - but goes beyond even Byz - to Eastern Christian generally

Chicago
- Eparchy of Saint Thomas of the Syro-Malabarese

New York
- Apostolic Exarchate of the Armenians
- Armenian Apostolic Church - Eastern Diocese
- Armenian Apostolic Church (Great House of Cilicia) - Eastern Prelacy
- Eparchy of Saint Maron in Brooklyn of the Maronites

That puts NYC out in front 10 to 8.

Many years,

Neil

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/04/05 12:39 PM

Hi Tim!
Wilkes-Barre area folk refer to holubchi as "piggies" even though a holub is a dove/pigeon. Therefore, shouldn't they be called "dovies"?
Further, holubki made with beef should never be called "piggies" as they are porkless.
Just don't call verynyky Byzantine pyrohy. LOL
Pavloosh
P.S. See you at the church picnic [Lackawanna Countyese].
See you at the church bazaar m[Luzerne Countyese].
At any rate: Smachnoho!!!
Posted By: Ung-Certez

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/04/05 11:19 PM

Not in Transcarpathia, the still make the bacon/rice/ w/tomatoe sauce sans kvasna kapusta (i.e."Uhorski" variant) holubki.
My Dad always said my Dido preferred the "Hungarian-style" holubki, and my Sharisan Baba obliged, even though she usaually made them "Shariska-style, ground beef, bacon, onions w/kvasna kapusta.

Ungcsertez
Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/05/05 02:04 AM

Aw, Pittsburgh has to be included in that list. I could not begin to name all of them - Eastern Cahtolic, Orthodox or Slavic Latin Catholic, but there are a bunch.
Posted By: Hieromonk Elias

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/05/05 02:18 AM

Respectfully submitted for consideration:

Aliquippa, Pennsylvania
Posted By: Stephen R.

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/05/05 03:38 AM

Dear Pavloosh,

I was in Scranton a couple of months ago and it certainly is a contender. My contact there says you missed at least one in the county, St. George's Carpatho-Russian Church at 743 S Keyer Avenue in Taylor. He thinks it may have the biggest dome in the state.

Stephen

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/05/05 12:41 PM

Stephen R:
You are correct and I apologize. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
St. George dome is big alright, but have you seen the Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Philadelphia?
http://www.ukrcathedralphiladelphia.net/
Pavloosh
Posted By: domilsean

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/05/05 09:48 PM

JW, let's start doing this for Pittsburgh:

We've got 4 Byzantine Churches: St. John the Baptist (south side), Nativity BVM and St. John Chrysotom (right?) (greenfield), and then Holy Spirit in Oakland.

1? Ukrainian? St. John the Baptist (south side)

South side alone has 1 OCA and 1 Ukrianian Orthodox.

Oakland has the Greek Orthodox and Antiochan Orthodox Cathedrals (and the RC one). Then there's the North Side, and I don't know the numbers there. 9 so far. We can get this record, even just within city limits. If we include McKees Rocks it's all over.

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/05/05 09:50 PM

Oh, Neil,

is your parish Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Worcester? My mom and I stopped in there for Divine Liturgy this morning on our way home from a family reunion in Fitchburg, and darned it if I didn't see me an Irish Melkite in there. Maybe there's more than one?

Marc

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/05/05 11:09 PM

To help Pittsburgh even more, the phone book lists 10 Orthodox churches in Pgh (including the 2 I mentioned above).

This article says there are 120 orthodox churches in the pgh area!
http://www.orthodoxnews.netfirms.com/165/Tale%20of%20Two%20Cities.htm

I also found out I forgot 2 Byzantine Churches, Holy Ghost and St. Pius X.

Record?

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/06/05 02:00 AM

These two cities have just been brought to my attention as possibly having the highest percentage of Eastern Christians:

St. Clair, PA with 5 parishes and a population of 3,524.

Lyndora, PA with 4 parishes and a population of 1,167.

Dave
Posted By: ukrainiancatholic

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/06/05 02:23 AM

Since I think we can all agree, 'cept for maybe Alex, that Canada is little America, so shall I throw in the farm communities around Edmonton, or perhaps even Winnipeg? biggrin

-uc

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/06/05 12:36 PM

Chtec,

St. Clair's a good one. I just passed through there and was thinking about that. There's Ukrainian Catholic, Byzantine Catholic, OCA, Uk. Orthodox, and Carpatho-Russian Orthodox that I know of. The ACROD church used to by pastored by my friend's dad. Dad's now a monk in Johnstown, son's a priest himself, and the church has 1 deacon there, just had a subdeacon ordained deacon, and has another subdeacon or 2 floating around. Truly blossoming parish!

Not too far away is the borough of Minersville: 1 Byzantine Church w/ primary school, 1 Ukrainian Catholic w/ primary school (2 EC schools in one tiny town!), 1 OCA, 1 Ukrainian Orthodox, maybe 1 or 2 others but I can't remember. But 2 schools and I think they're both still going.
Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/06/05 10:17 PM

Originally posted by domilsean:
To help Pittsburgh even more, the phone book lists 10 Orthodox churches in Pgh (including the 2 I mentioned above).

This article says there are 120 orthodox churches in the pgh area!
http://www.orthodoxnews.netfirms.com/165/Tale%20of%20Two%20Cities.htm

I also found out I forgot 2 Byzantine Churches, Holy Ghost and St. Pius X.

Record?
If you take the Pittsburgh metropolitan area, and not just the city, then the 'Burgh should have it nailed.
Posted By: JonnNightwatcher

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/07/05 01:40 PM

Originally posted by Wolfgang:
John,
How did you happen to get interested in Eastern Christianity if there are no Eastern churches in your area? I don't mean to pry, just curious.
Wolfgang
I've been Eastern Catholic most of my life. there are three Orthodox groups here in town: Greek, Russian, and Coptic. there may be a few more. as far as Eastern Catholic is concerned, there are four in Atlanta: Ruthenian, Ukrainian, Melchite, and Maronite. there is also a smorgasboard of Orthodox churches in Atlanta.thre is a Ruthenian mission near Knoxville, and a group hoping for mission status in Nashville. there just isn't anything here for me in Chattanooga, and I'm 120 miles from each of the cities mentioned. I just do what I have been doing for thirty years as an isolated EC and that's it, I suppose. wish some of you ECs up there would move here and bring the Light of the East here for me and those Latins who have seen the Light
Much Love,
Jonn
Posted By: Joe T

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/07/05 04:45 PM

Originally posted by Lawrence:
I think Youngstown (which now actually has a smaller population) has it beat with at least 12 Eastern churches to Parma's 8.
Would those churches (temples?) be recognized as Eastern if one stepped inside them?

I started a map awhile back in CAD with every Eastern temple/church/parish/monastery/chapel on it, whether Orthodox or Catholic. Unfortunately, it was wiped out with a hard drive crash. I thought I had a backup, but it was lost. I plan to redo the map again. I was almost complete with it and it looked like one of those pictures of the US from space highlighting all the 'lighted' areas. From what I remember, New York City and environs is the most packed Eastern area. I had to shrink the size of the parish lights in order to fit them in the same geographical area. (I based the locations on the longitude and latitude of their address/zip code) If I redo it, I will contemplate submitting it to the Administrator to post on the byzcath.org website for all to enjoy.

Joe

PS: Just don't let the lights go out.

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/07/05 08:17 PM

According to the book Steel City : Gary.Indiana 1906-1950 by Raymond A Mohl and Neil Betten. Gary had the highest pct of Orthodox Christians of any major city in the US (I assume that means over 100.000) Unfortunately the authors don't give the exact year, but they do also mention that OC's outnumbered RC's. Now add to that the fact that Gary had a few EC churches as well and you have what was the most Eastern Christian city in America.

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/08/05 08:24 AM

Originally posted by J Thur:
I started a map awhile back in CAD with every Eastern temple/church/parish/monastery/chapel on it, whether Orthodox or Catholic. ... If I redo it, I will contemplate submitting it to the Administrator to post on the byzcath.org website for all to enjoy.
Joe,

You've got to redo it - I love it biggrin

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: theodore perkoski

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/09/05 03:58 AM

I would like to submit for your consideration the town of Mckeesport, which is south of Pittsburgh. It has two Byzantine Catholic (one Rusyn and one Magyan), One Ukrainian Catholic, One Car-Rus Orthodox, One Serbian Orthodox, One OCA church which became Synodal, and one Romanian Catholic Church.
At it hight it has one Polish, Slovak,Hungarian and Croatian, Roman Catholic Church.
Plus we has two Narodowy Churches one Polish and one Slovak, However we did not have any Slovak Protestant Churches, But we had two Hungarian Reformed Churches, and all of our Synagogues were Hungarian.
Posted By: stojgniev

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/10/05 11:17 PM

theodore wrote: Plus we has two Narodowy Churches one Polish and one Slovak

What affiliation was the Slovak church? Was it like a Slovak version of the Polish National Catholic Church?

Stojgniev

P.S. Just curious, never heard of such a thing.

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/11/05 02:45 AM

Stojgniev

The PNCC has included over the years, Czech, Slovak and Lithuanian parishes.
Posted By: stojgniev

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/17/05 03:16 AM

Lawrence,

Thanks for the info. I was not aware of it. What survives today of those non-Polish parishes affiliated with PNCC?

Stojgniev

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/17/05 03:25 AM

Check out their directory. Here's the page for New Jersey, for example, where there is still a Slovak parish in Passaic, and a Czech one in Perth Amboy:

http://www.pncc.org/parish_addresses.asp?parish_state=NJ&Submit=View+Church+List

Dave

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/17/05 08:59 PM

The Czech, Lithuanian, and Slovak National Catholic Churches all arose from similar circumstances as caused the birth of the PNCC. Each began as an autonomous body, but all had loose connections with the PNCC, oldest and largest of the four, looking to it for continuation of episcopal orders, for instance.

Ultimately, each entered into formal union with the PNCC which, for a time, had an episcopal vicar for each of the ethnic groupings - although I think those are now a thing of the past and assimilation is relatively complete.

The Lituanians formally merged with the PNCC in about 1965, although there were a few dissidents that struck out on their own briefly - I think that if any of those are still extant, they are now stand-alone churches or have merged with various of the Old Catholic bodies in the US. The Slovak NCC, after a decades-long close relationship with the PNCC, ultimately became one with the PNCC in anout 1995 or 1996 - I don't believe that any were left behind in doing so.

The Czechs merged early, I believe, because I have a recollection that they actually had an ordinary of their own within the PNCC structure for some time.

The Slovak church in Passaic which Dave mentioned was, in fact, the Slovak National Cathedral until their merger with the PNCC.

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: theodore perkoski

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 06/18/05 05:35 PM

While we are on the subject of The Polish National Catholic Church, are there any Mariavite Churches in the USA?
Also, I know the reason that there was a split in the Slovak Catholic Church, Holy Trinity, was; that they were sent a German priest to be their pastor

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 11/05/05 03:47 AM

Did a photo shoot this morning in Gary. Indiana, which was once percentage wise, the most Orthodox city in the US. What a sad experience. St Nicholas Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Church and St Constantine's Greek Orthodox Church, both impressive buildings are still in good condition but unfortunately are who know's what sect now, and the former site of St Sava's Serbian Orthodox Church on the East side is now nothing but prairie, having burned down in 1978 I learned. Even the PNCC Divine Providence was a corner prairie. It's always the same story, when the churches die, so does the neighborhood.

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 11/05/05 10:51 AM

Originally posted by theodore perkoski:
While we are on the subject of The Polish National Catholic Church, are there any Mariavite Churches in the USA?
Theodore,

Lawrence's sad post on the status of things in Gary, IN brought this thread to light again and I saw your last post on it, which I missed previously.

There has never been a true Mariavite prescence in North America to the best of my knowledge. There is a body called the Mariavite Old Catholic Chruch, Province of North America, headquartered in Wyandotte, MI - where it has its sole church as far as anyone can discern.

A gentleman named Archbishop Robert R. J. M. Zaborowski heads it up and is likely its sole presbyter, despite rather astounding claims (made back in the '80s) of having some 50 priests, another 50 male and female religious, 150+ parishes, and 350K faithful in the United States alone - with another 60 churches and 30K faithful claimed in Canada. Zaborowski's claims of episcopal orders from the Mariavites themselves have been debunked and I think even his alternative claims of such from US "Old Catholic" bodies are disputed. To the extent that this body even exists, in other than the imagination of the "Archbishop", I consider he and it to be excellent illustrations of the concept of vagante, in its most pejorative sense.

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: incognitus

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 11/05/05 05:50 PM

Dear Neil,

I've never heard of "Archbishop Robert R. J. M. Zaborowski" and/or his ecclesiola, and I shall be happy to remain in blissful ignorance thereof!

I think - but don't hold me to this - that the Mariavites actually did have a connection with an "Archbishop William Henry Francis Brothers", who gloriously reigned in a small rustic chapel in Woodstock (yes, that Woodstock!), New York, but who must be dead these many years. I don't know if his organization, such as it was, survives.

There is a small chapel in Paris, France, which claims to be Mariavite. I've never set eyes on the place, so I've no idea what the basis of this claim - if any - might be. I somehow doubt that there are huge hordes of French people seeking the Mariavite road to heaven. On the other hand, it could be a last gasp of the Petit Eglise.

Inevitably, the Mariavites back in the Holy Land (Poland) had a split a few decades ago - one side retained bishopesses and priestesses, the other side abandoned the practice.

I don't know, but I've occasionally wondered if the Mariavites were connected with some bizarre sects which spun off from the underground Greek-Catholic Church in Ukraine during the persecution. In any event, there's no sign of them in Ukraine now.

Incognitus

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 11/10/05 04:45 PM

Here's a link to a few of the churches I recently visited in NW Indiana http://www.preserveindiana.com/pixpages/eastchicago/eastchicagochurch.htm . St George Serbian Orthodox and Holy Ghost are across the street from each other, with Assumption RC on the corner. St Basil on Indianapolis Blvd in East Chicago is now RC and has been strangely turned into a bookstore.
Posted By: sue

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 11/11/05 02:40 PM

Thanks for the pictures of the East Chicago, IN churches. Brought back many many memories. I was married in Holy Ghost Church. I'm surprised that the churches you showed are still standing. I also know of the churches in Gary, and it is sad that they have not faired as well.

Re: Most Eastern Christian City In America - 11/11/05 04:57 PM

Sue

What church body was Holy Ghost a member of ? and do you happen to know what St Basil's on Indianapolis Blvd was ?

Sorry I didn't mention it, but Holy Ghost is now a Protestant church.
© 2020 The Byzantine Forum