www.byzcath.org

Lenten Food substitutions

Posted By: Thomas the Seeker

Lenten Food substitutions - 04/03/19 02:11 AM

This thread is for discussing practical food substitutions during fasting season; not for debating the propriety of those substitutions.

In other words, offering specific ideas such as using 1 teaspoon of cream of tartar in place of 1 egg; not for questioning whether this is too legalistic or too lax.

I'll start off with a Lenten drink substitution.

I enjoy chips and salsa accompanied by a Margarita. But having foregone alcohol this Lent except for one beer on Sunday afternoons, it struck me that what I really liked about the Margairta was not the tequilla but the salted rim and sweet/sour lime.

So--salt up the rim of a glass, add NON-alcoholic Margarita mix and diet store brand ginger ale.
Posted By: renee harris

Re: Lenten Food substitutions - 04/03/19 03:06 PM

Our presanctified gifts taste moldy or spoiled?????? Can you help me understand why??? Normal?????

Re: Lenten Food substitutions - 04/03/19 04:33 PM

It depends on the freshness of the loaf from which the Lamb was prepared on Sunday and on how it was preserved....ie on a diskos beneath asterisk and cloth cover or in tabernacle with or without air holes.

Re: Lenten Food substitutions - 04/03/19 06:30 PM

Is it ok to eat it if it has a moldy taste? Should we tell father?

Re: Lenten Food substitutions - 04/03/19 06:33 PM

Should the wine used for consecration be soooo diluted with hot water it's not recognizable?

Re: Lenten Food substitutions - 04/03/19 06:40 PM

Kida don't want to receive the taste is disgusting.
Posted By: Fr. Deacon Lance

Re: Lenten Food substitutions - 04/04/19 02:30 PM

No, the Holy Gifts should not be moldy but it happens sometimes. And no hot water should not be added so much that the wine no longer tastes like wine. Have you mentioned this?

Re: Lenten Food substitutions - 04/05/19 01:58 PM

Thank you for answering. How should I handle this? Approach Father?

Re: Lenten Food substitutions - 04/06/19 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by renee harris
Thank you for answering. How should I handle this? Approach Father?

By all means....approach him with a spirit of humility and be non-accusatory.

You are speaking out of love for the Mysteries of Christ; and out of concern for the spiritual and physical health of your brothers and sisters in Christ Let the love of Christ fill your speech.
© 2020 The Byzantine Forum