www.byzcath.org
Posted By: Theist Gal Terri Schiavo - 10/17/03 10:55 PM
Let's pray for Terri Schiavo, the brain-damaged woman who has been sentenced to death by starvation -- because her husband doesn't think her life is "valuable".

And let's ask ourselves ... where this is all going to end? frown

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/GuestColumns/Federer20031017.shtml
Posted By: Communion of Saints Re: Terri Schiavo - 10/20/03 04:50 AM
Let us continue to pray for her .. I just read something about a special session of the legislature in Florida regarding this case ...
Whoever has updates on this perhaps can post them here for us so we can know what is going on.
I will have to listen to the news and see; I didn't hear the case mentioned on the news last time I listened.
C of S
Posted By: Communion of Saints Re: Terri Schiavo - 10/20/03 05:12 AM
Looking on World Net Daily.com, you will see 'Terri's Bill' being discussed in legislature in Fla today but ... I do not know the results of the session. This bill would produce an immediate moratorium on all such induced deaths ...!
Does anyone have an update?
C of S
Posted By: Our Lady's slave Re: Terri Schiavo - 10/20/03 07:39 AM
This has concerned me for a long time since I first heard about it.

If intervention does come because of this special session I hope it is not too late for Terri but it will be in time for others.

I can't help feeling that we do not know the whole story - there are always 2 sides to every question and here I think we have only really seen one side of it and had a hint of the other .

But of this I am in no doubt - Terri is suffering terribly at the moment.

I pray that Terri's pain will be eased and she will be at peace.

Anhelyna
Posted By: Glenn Re: Terri Schiavo - 10/20/03 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Theist Gal:
...And let's ask ourselves ... where this is all going to end?... frown
Unbridled judicial homocide.

Slava Isusu Christu!
Glenn
;-)##
Posted By: Theist Gal Re: Terri Schiavo - 10/20/03 02:47 PM
I heard an interview with the husband on CBS Radio this weekend - he insists that the media haven't described the procedure correctly, and that his wife's death will be "peaceful" and "painless".

Surrrrre ...
Posted By: Our Lady's slave Re: Terri Schiavo - 10/20/03 03:00 PM
I heard an interview with the husband on CBS Radio this weekend - he insists that the media haven't described the procedure correctly, and that his wife's death will be "peaceful" and "painless".

Surrrrre ...
I really can't believe what is happening !

As I understand it this is the caring husband who is living with another woman, has one child by her ,and I think I have picked this up correctly - is awaiting the birth of another .

Lord have mercy

Anhelyna - praying for Terri
Posted By: Greg Re: Terri Schiavo - 10/20/03 03:57 PM
Terri is in my prayers.My the Lord be with her.Greg
Posted By: Annie_SFO Re: Terri Schiavo - 10/20/03 07:32 PM
Lord hear our prayer for Terri Schiavo and for her parents. I can't imagine how they must be suffering.
Posted By: Communion of Saints Re: Terri Schiavo - 10/20/03 11:38 PM
World Net Daily reports that another special session for 'Terri's Bill' is going on right now, at 7:45 eastern time, and just think, if it goes through, Terri's and all such forced measures will be stopped immediately!
Posted By: Fr. Joe Re: Terri Schiavo - 10/21/03 12:33 AM
Here is another article relevant to this topic.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2003/10/19/21347.shtml

There is a Catholic nurse from (I believe), Missouri by the name of Nancy Valko who distributes an e-mail list with regular articles such as this and comments on pro-life related issues. She has worked in the Catholic hospital system for a long time. To get on her mailing list, write to her at: nv333@mindspring.com

She is vehemently opposed to all violations of human life and very outspoken in her campaigns to promote a "culture of life." Nurse Valko has even taken on the Catholic hierarchy, if she feels they have been lacking in their response to the defense of all human life.

Below is another example of Nurse Valko's comments and a link to an article she sent out:

Comment: Notice the hospice connection of the Senate President King and his expansion of the proxy bill. As both a former hospice nurse and someone who testified in the Missouri legislature in the early 90s on the dangers of the proposed Missouri surrogate decisionmaking law against groups like Midwest Bioethics, I am outraged by the hijacking of good medical care by the "right to die" enthusiasts. Terri's tragic situation should open many eyes.
Nancy V.
This is a WorldNetDaily printer-friendly version of the article which follows.
To view this item online, visit

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=35161

God bless you all,

Fr. Joe
Posted By: Logos - Alexis Re: Terri Schiavo - 10/21/03 12:52 AM
Terry Schiavo was the focal point of our priest's homily this past Sunday. Her priest has been denied the right (at least I thought it was a right) to give hery Holy Communion (viaticum) because it may demonstrate that she is able to take food orally, which of course the evildoers do not want.

I never thought murder would be allowed like this. Truly, truly, what an abomination to God, what a violation of the most basic human rights. Disgusting.

Logos Teen
Posted By: sam Re: Terri Schiavo - 10/21/03 02:28 AM
>>>Terry Schiavo was the focal point of our priest's homily this past Sunday. Her priest has been denied the right (at least I thought it was a right) to give hery Holy Communion (viaticum) because it may demonstrate that she is able to take food orally, which of course the evildoers do not want.<<<<

???? That is a ridiculous argument!

So what if she can? That would mean they can pull the tube and be legally forced as a nursing facility to feed her orally, rather than pulling the tube and refusing to feed her orally?

He is right. It will be somewhat painless- through drugs. They will probably give her morphine suppositories as her body temperature starts to rise from lack of fluid. The morphine will depress her respirations and she will die from respiratory/cardiac arrest.

Terry Schiavo isn't the first one to die like this. She may be the first on in a nursing home whose family does not see eye to eye, but the morphine route has been going on for years in home/hospice settings.

Sam
Posted By: Inawe Re: Terri Schiavo - 10/21/03 03:44 AM
"I pray that Terri's pain will be eased and she will be at peace.

Anhelyna"

Amen!
Posted By: Communion of Saints Re: Terri Schiavo - 10/21/03 06:16 AM
"Terri's Bill" has been passed this evening according to World Net Daily ... will go to the Senate next ...
Wow!
Posted By: Logos - Alexis Re: Terri Schiavo - 10/21/03 11:37 AM
Orginally posted by Sam: ???? That is a ridiculous argument!

So what if she can? That would mean they can pull the tube and be legally forced as a nursing facility to feed her orally, rather than pulling the tube and refusing to feed her orally?

He is right. It will be somewhat painless- through drugs. They will probably give her morphine suppositories as her body temperature starts to rise from lack of fluid. The morphine will depress her respirations and she will die from respiratory/cardiac arrest.
Sam,

I never said I believe what the priest said to be true. All I said was that this is horrible, legally sanctioned murder of an innocent. This was the point Father Paul was trying to get across in his homily.

For whatever reasons, she is denied the Eucharist.

Logos Teen
Posted By: sam Re: Terri Schiavo - 10/21/03 01:31 PM
Teen,

Don't misunderstand me. I believe what you wrote and what the priest said. I think it is ridiculous to refuse a dying woman Communion based on that argument.

I am not for "Mercy Killing" in any way. I am just saying that it is becoming increasingly popular in our culture for a number of twisted reasons, among them the lack of respect for the sanctity of life.

I hope Terry's Bill moves quickly enough to save her!

Sam
Posted By: Annie_SFO Re: Terri Schiavo - 10/21/03 06:49 PM
If I might share:

What disturbs me most is that I had a cousin who was in a terrible accident a few years back. She was basically a bloody pulp of a person in a coma. She wasn't expected to emerge from it and if she did, she was expected to be quite damaged. She relied upon machines to live. She wasn't conscious, she couldn't eat, she couldn't swallow, she couldn't breathe. Her mother packed a black dress when she caught the plane to be at her side.

Her doctor quite wisely said that it was time to start praying for her in a big way as the days and weeks passed and that no one should give up on her because unconscious people are a mystery. (He had years of experience with head trauma and coma patients.) He said he didn't want to see anyone give up. I kept asking my brother - he's a doctor, too - if there was any hope, really, scientifically. He wisely told me that there is always hope and that he prays for the patients in his hospital every day. He and another doctor say the rosary daily. He said if you approached medicine without a sense of hope then you probably weren't a very good doctor.

Dozens of people prayed for her. My SFO friends prayed for her. My friends prayed for her. A Catholic priest prayed for her. An Orthodox priest prayed for her. Some monks I know prayed for her. Her whole family prayed for her. Her doctor prayed for her.

The end result? My cousin is alive. She is well. She has some migraine-like headaches. At first, she had a little trouble remembering, but that passed. Other than that, she's recovered. She didn't suffer any of the terrible side effects the text books said she probably would suffer.

And the "weird" part? She "woke up" on Easter.

Sure there is a scientific explanation for all of this. But I figure God is the one who came up with all those "rules of nature" and of science. God still works wonders, despite some of mankind's "worst efforts" to thwart good. I am brought to tears by the thought of Teri Schiavo's parents and their suffering. By taking away her sustenance - IMHO one of those "worst efforts" - much of their hope has been robbed.

I can't buy into the idea that there is any such thing as "euthanasia" - that there is any such thing as allowing a "good death." I visited the Holocaust Museum a couple years ago and read one of those letters from the Third Reich to doctors about how to deal with mentally ill people. They made it sound like killing them was good for them. It sounded like the same language I hear people use today when they say they "want to help the person who is beyond hope" and "allow them to die."

It's all so hearbreaking.

Sorry for the long post.

I'll be quiet now.
Posted By: Annie_SFO Re: Terri Schiavo - 10/21/03 08:30 PM
More on the bill discussed above:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-fschiavo21xoct21,0,23471,print.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines
Posted By: Diak Re: Terri Schiavo - 10/21/03 09:28 PM
This is how twisted and disfigured our society has become. Those who are supposed to love each other (man and wife, remember until "death do us part"?) wish to slowly starve to death the other. And not only is the Church left out of this, She is forbidden to even grant the poor lady the Holy Mysteries by "the authorities".

And especially disturbing are reports in the news that Terri's husband is already engaged or plans to soon be engaged to be married to another woman.
Posted By: Our Lady's slave Re: Terri Schiavo - 10/21/03 10:00 PM
Another article on Terri and the fight

WorldNetDaily : Florida Legislature acts to save Terri [worldnetdaily.com]

Maybe there is hope - but I pray it's not too late.

This cannot be allowed to happen again
Posted By: sam Re: Terri Schiavo - 10/21/03 10:48 PM
Just heard Governor Bush ordered the feeding tube to be put back in!
Good news
Posted By: Communion of Saints Re: Terri Schiavo - 10/21/03 11:03 PM
Sam:
thank you for the update! that is good news indeed! hope it's not too late.
Annie:
I am going to re-read your incredibly moving and wonderful post ... first wished to thank you for writing all that. That is really quite something.
Communion of Saints
Posted By: Logos - Alexis Re: Terri Schiavo - 10/22/03 12:36 AM
GREAT NEWS!!! Thank God. Thank him SO SO much!!

We CANNOT stop praying for her. Pray that this wise decision be kept in place, as well as for an improvement of Terri's health.

biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

Logos Teen
Posted By: Our Lady's slave Re: Terri Schiavo - 10/22/03 12:46 PM
Yes - it's even been on UK TV lunch time news as well biggrin

Fantastic - but I hope they take it slowly with regard to re-hydrating Terri.

And is it too much to hope, and pray for, that they start some active treatment now ?

Anhelyna
Posted By: Pani Rose Re: Terri Schiavo - 10/23/03 07:23 AM
You know today while I was reading World Net Daily, I was aware of the strong spiritual connection with the fact they both the govenor and president were dealing with prolife at the same moment. Euthenasia and Partial Birth Abortion, two terrible offences to God and man, a blow has been struck to the heel of satan. One Catholic, one Prostestant, the Church stood as one in Christ. We may just have seen the turning of the tide for America, but we have so far to go.

GLORY TO GOD IN THE HIGHEST AND PEACE TO HIS PEOPLE ON EARTH!
Posted By: harmon3110 Re: Terri Schiavo - 02/14/05 04:31 PM
Prayer Need:

Terri Schiavo could be killed by the end of this month (February, 2005) because the Florida courts have struck down the law that saved her. There are some appeals, but they have so far been thwarted.

Here is a link to the news:
http://www.lifenews.com/bio696.html

Here is a link to the website about her case:
http://www.terrisfight.org

This is esepcially appalling in light of a story about a woman who woke up from a 20 year coma and started talking:
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050213/D887B94G0.html

God have mercy.

--John
Posted By: Father Gregory Re: Terri Schiavo - 02/14/05 04:50 PM
May the LORD Who brought Terri into being...bring her to a greater quality of life and sustain her with His grace and tenderness! May the Most Holy Mother of God be near her and bring her more and more to her Son, Our Blessed Lord!

O Lord Who in the course of time brought Terri into being, give her the faith and hope necessary to live a life as full as possible...so that she can pray and give thanks to You now and forever! Give her the warmth of Your love through her family and friends...that will bring her to life within and care for her with gentleness and compassion. Increase Your gifts of faith and trust in You---that she may grow in grace and holiness all her days...and in the end...be she be happy with You in Eternity forever! Most Holy Mother of God be near her and console you now and always!

In His great love for each and everyone of us,
+Fr. Gregory
Posted By: Jakub. Re: Terri Schiavo - 02/14/05 06:38 PM
Renewed prayers for Terri.

james
Posted By: ebed melech Re: Terri Schiavo - 02/23/05 04:54 AM
http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/articles5/SchindlerTerri.shtml

http://www.terrisfight.org/

I have friends that are very close to this situation, and the tragic thing is the Schindlers have been absolutely abandoned by the RC bishop and the clergy of their diocese. I'm not one to rush to judgement about clergy, but the bishop has specifically directed his priests not to even bring up this issue in their parishes, in addition to other directives which leave the Schindlers out in the cold. They even have to resort to receiving pastoral care from priests who are not from their diocese! (this was also mentioned in a recent Catholic World report.)

This is a disgrace, and has become a real battlefront in the war against the culture of death.

Please pray for Terri and her family - and for the conversion of her Lutheran husband and apostate Greek Orthodox attorney.

Peace -

Gordo

PS: Michael Schiavo might pull her feeding tube tomorrow.
Posted By: Pani Rose Re: Terri Schiavo - 02/23/05 07:42 AM
Lord have mercy! Lord have mercy! Lord have mercy!

May her cross be one with yours dear sweet Jesus.
Posted By: Amadeus Re: Terri Schiavo - 02/23/05 03:55 PM
Dear Gordo:

I have friends that are very close to this situation, and the tragic thing is the Schindlers have been absolutely abandoned by the RC bishop and the clergy of their diocese. I'm not one to rush to judgement about clergy, but the bishop has specifically directed his priests not to even bring up this issue in their parishes, in addition to other directives which leave the Schindlers out in the cold. They even have to resort to receiving pastoral care from priests who are not from their diocese! (this was also mentioned in a recent Catholic World report.)

This is a disgrace, and has become a real battlefront in the war against the culture of death.
Is this factually true?

This is a grave accusation against the Bishop of St. Petersburg, FL, and the clergy of the entire diocese.

The legal principle of "subjudice" might partially explain the stance of the Bishop.

Amado
Posted By: Manuel Re: Terri Schiavo - 02/23/05 04:08 PM
Prayers....
Posted By: christiansteve Re: Terri Schiavo - 02/23/05 04:25 PM
Originally posted by CaelumJR:
but the bishop has specifically directed his priests not to even bring up this issue in their parishes, in addition to other directives which leave the Schindlers out in the cold.
Don't know about other parishes in the area, but durring the same thing last year they did pray for her in my parish durring the prayers.....however, I have no knowledge of what the Bishop may have said.

In His Name,
Stephen, who lives in Tampa, Fl.
Posted By: Father Gregory Re: Terri Schiavo - 02/24/05 12:08 AM
For Those in Coma & Their Families

Let Us Pray:

Lord we ask that You watch over those who are tonight in a coma, as their brains sleep in an attempt to heal. We ask that You watch over their loved ones, whose consciousness has been permanently altered by this experience. We ask that You give help to those who have awakened, to have the energy and perception to address the process of rebuilding themselves. We ask that You give their loved ones, the energy and hope, to enable them to stay as long as they can, to be the partner in the rebuilding and recovery. We ask that You help those who love, to put aside their petty battles, and focus first on the needs of the brain injured, and then on the needs of the family, whose life has been changed as radically as the survivor.

Lord, we ask that You once again to passover those who are injured and to allow the brain injury to passover those lives which brain injured to reach out and touch those who are near and dear to them...if only for a moment. If You can intervene, intervene by having the seatbelts buckled, the helmets used, the speeding laws obeyed and no more for the road. We ask that You intervene so that those who have suffered the blow or injury to their brain, receive proper attention, so that the there are no secondary injuries, either from improper medical care, or through misunderstood adjustment.

We ask for Your help Lord and we make this prayer in the precious name of Jesus the Christ, Who with You Father and the Holy Spirit, live and rule and One God, unto ages of ages, Amen.

Most Holy Mother of God and our Mother, be near all those who suffer from brain injury and their families and help them to feel your presence! May they know that you are the 'comforter of the afflicted' and the 'hope of the sick'---and that you will always be a Mother to them and to us all. Bring the prayers of those who suffer and their families to your Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ, Who lives and rules and has His being with the Father and Holy Spirit as One God, unto ages of ages, Amen.

In His great mercy and love,
+Fr. Gregory
Posted By: Pani Rose Re: Terri Schiavo - 02/24/05 06:12 AM
Praise the Lord!

Sounds like there might be some postive reality checks happening...
http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43006
Posted By: Pani Rose Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/02/05 05:39 AM
The fourth prayer of St. Bridget

O Jesus! Heavenly Physician, raised aloft on the Cross to heal our wounds with Thine, remember the bruises which Thou didst suffer and the weakness of all Thy Members which were distended to such a degree that never was there pain like unto Thine. From the crown of Thy Head to the Soles of Thy Feet there was not one spot on Thy Body that was not in torment, and yet, forgetting all Thy sufferings, Thou didst not cease to pray to Thy Heavenly Father for Thy enemies, saying: "Father forgive them for they know not what they do." Through this great Mercy, and in memory of this suffering, grant that the remembrance of Thy Most Bitter Passion may effect in us a perfect contrition and the remission of all our sins. Amen.

Heal Terri sweetest Jesus, let it be a miracle as with when you healed the officers daughter. She sat up and her mother fed her. Let in be all for you honor and glory Jesus. Let you majisty rule that all men may see the healing touch of your hand. amen
Posted By: Pani Rose Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/04/05 05:12 PM
Florida States papers filed on her case. They are in PDF format, but praise God they are making sure she is being protected.
http://www.tampabays10.com/pdfs/DCFintervene1.pdf
Posted By: Amadeus Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/07/05 03:54 PM
And the Florida Catholic Bishops break silence on the Schiavo case:

http://www.ewtn.com/vnews/getstory.asp?number=54364

The statement of the Florida Catholic Conference in its entirety is at:

http://www.flacathconf.org/Health/Schaivo%20Statement%202-28-05.htm
Posted By: Father Gregory Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/12/05 06:34 AM
11-March-2005 -- Catholic News Agency

FRANCISCAN FRIARS PRAYING TO ARCHBISHOP SHEEN FOR MIRACLE FOR SCHIAVO
YONKERS, NY, USA, March 11 (CNA) - While pro-life supporters nationwide fight for the life of brain-damaged Terri Schiavo, whose feeding tube is scheduled to be removed March 18th, New York's Franciscan Friars of the Renewal are staging a different kind of campaign.

The Yonkers chapter of the New York City-based order has started a prayer campaign asking for the intercession of Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen.

With Archbishop Sheen's help, the Friars are hoping for a miracle.

Father Andrew Apostoli C.F.R., one of the friars, said that "the late Archbishop's TV show was called Life is Worth Living, and believed very strongly in the value of every life, but the opponents to Terri Shiavo do not think that her life is worth living."

A Florida judge recently ruled in favor of Terri's husband, Michael Shiavo who plans to remove the feeding tube, which gives food and hydration to his wife.

Terri's family and other pro-life leaders are racing the clock to find a way to appeal the decision and save 41-year old Schiavo from starvation.

The Friars are asking that anyone who wishes to join them pray the following prayer:

Eternal Father, You alone grant us every blessing in Heaven and on earth, through the redemptive mission of Your Divine Son, Jesus Christ, and by the working of the Holy Spirit. If it be according to Your Will, glorify Your servant, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen, by granting the favor I now request through his powerful intercession. Lord, grant that Terri Shiavo's life be spared and grant her a healing that the world may know the value of every life.
Posted By: byzanTN Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/12/05 01:27 PM
Thanks for the prayer. I just printed it. This entire situation is so sad. Prayers for Terri and also for her husband that he will have a true conversion of heart.
Posted By: Pani Rose Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/12/05 08:32 PM
That is wonderful.

Her husband turned down the million dollars. I really thought he would take the money and run.

God bless this person who in his generosity supplied the funds for Terri chance to have her parents as guardians. May God change the heart of her husband.

Pani Rose
Posted By: Amadeus Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/13/05 11:57 PM
Friday, March 18, 2005, is fast approaching and I join the thousands of faithful here in the U.S. (and around the word) fervently praying for the success of Terri's fight.

Relevant Radio has been broadcasting nationwide its appeal for Terri's continued treatment direct from St. Petersburg for weeks now.

In the meantime, the USCCB issued its own statement, joining the Bishops of the Florida Catholic Conference in upholding the value and sanctity of Terri's life:

http://www.ewtn.com/vnews/getstory.asp?number=54613

And today, the Vatican joins in the appeal for Terri's life:

http://www.zenit.org/english/visualizza.phtml?sid=67707
Posted By: Lawrence Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/14/05 10:31 PM
With March 18 approaching and the California judge's ruling today regarding homosexual marriage, these are truly frightening times in our country. May Our Saviour Jesus Christ have mercy on our nation, and may we all truly repent of our sins and seek his face.

We're praying for Terri Schiavo every day in a Rosary Group I'm involved.
Posted By: Carole Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/15/05 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Amadeus:
And today, the Vatican joins in the appeal for Terri's life:

http://www.zenit.org/english/visualizza.phtml?sid=67707
It is too sad and upsetting that her own Bishop won't do as much. The Bishop of St. Petersburg, FL leaves much to be desired.

There is reason to believe that her husband will again deny her the Viaticum.

http://www.catholicexchange.com/vm/index.asp?vm_id=1&art_id=27828
Posted By: Carole Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/15/05 03:26 PM
Originally posted by christiansteve:
Originally posted by CaelumJR:
[b] but the bishop has specifically directed his priests not to even bring up this issue in their parishes, in addition to other directives which leave the Schindlers out in the cold.
Don't know about other parishes in the area, but durring the same thing last year they did pray for her in my parish durring the prayers.....however, I have no knowledge of what the Bishop may have said.

In His Name,
Stephen, who lives in Tampa, Fl. [/b]
In our old parish (of which a member of the Schaivo family is a member) nothing has been mentioned about Terri at all.

In talking to several families in our Diocese no one has heard their priests mention Terri's plight at all.

And the Bishop's statement, released shortly after the statement by the all of the bishops in Florida blames the "intractability" of both sides for not finding peace in Terri's imminent death.

Bishop Lynch is, sadly, a lousy shepherd for his flock. He is a wolf in shepherd's clothing in my opinion.
Posted By: Amadeus Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/15/05 03:29 PM
Dear Carole:

I understand completely your feelings about the apparent omissions on the part of St. Petersburg's Catholic bishop.

However, I wish you would consider the Bishop's predicament at that time when his open support was needed most: the determination of the case(s) involving Terri and her husband, Terri's parents, and the Florida DCF were on-going then and it is considered inappropriate (some jurisdictions consider them illegal) to comment and or issue statements regarding the case(s) pending litigation.

He did sign the official statement of the Florida Catholic Conference as a group, such statement carefully avoiding any reference to the pending litigations.

Yesterday, Mel Gibson lent a hand to Terri's fight issuing a statement through Bob Schindler of the Terri Schindler-Schiavo Foundation to be read at a rally:

http://www.zenit.org/english/visualizza.phtml?sid=6777

Prayers for Terri Schindler-Schiavo.

Amado
Posted By: Carole Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/15/05 04:26 PM
Dear Carole:

I understand completely your feelings about the apparent omissions on the part of St. Petersburg's Catholic bishop.

No I don't think you do. The perception of Bishop Lynch is dramatically different when you are a Roman Catholic living in his diocese.

However, I wish you would consider the Bishop's predicament at that time when his open support was needed most: the determination of the case(s) involving Terri and her husband, Terri's parents, and the Florida DCF were on-going then and it is considered inappropriate (some jurisdictions consider them illegal) to comment and or issue statements regarding the case(s) pending litigation.

Excuse me, if he were a participant in that litigation it would be inappropriate. However, as a religious leader who was not party to the litigation he has both the right and the moral obligation to comment. The fact is that for the past several years he has either been silent when others have not hesitated to speak out or he has spoken in direct contradiction to Catholic teaching.

He has commented. Several times. He just hasn't upheld the Catholic teaching on this issue. Period.

He did sign the official statement of the Florida Catholic Conference as a group, such statement carefully avoiding any reference to the pending litigations.
Yes, he did allow his name to be placed on the statement of the FL bishops.

Did you, however, read his personal statement on this case issued just days after the Florida Bishops' statement?

If not, please do so before you comment further:

Taken in its entirity from the website of the Catholic Diocese of St. Petersburg, FL [dioceseofstpete.org]

Statement of Bishop Robert N. Lynch

The bishops of Florida have once again addressed the issue of the withdrawal of the artificial feeding tube from Terri Schiavo. As in the past, I join them in addressing this complex and tragic situation. As the local bishop and pastor for all the family parties involved, I would like to add the following. At the end of the day (the judicial, legislative days) the decision to remove Terri�s artificial feeding tube will be that of her husband, Michael. It is he who will give the order, not the courts or certainly the governor or legislature or the medical personnel surrounding and caring for Terri. In other words, as I have said from the beginning of this sad situation, the decision will be made within a family. A significant part of that family feels they are outside of the decision-making process and they are in great pain and suffering mightily.

I urge and pray that before the finality, one last effort be made for mediation. Normally, at the end of life, families of the person in extremis agree that it is time to allow the Lord to call a loved one to Himself, feeling that they have done all they possibly might to provide alternatives to death, every possible treatment protocol which might be helpful has been attempted. There is a peace. This will not happen in this instance because of the seeming intractability of both sides. I beg and pray that both sides might step back a little and allow some mediation in these final hours. The legacy of Terri�s situation should not be that of those who love her the most, loathing the actions of one another, but of a heroic moment of concern for the feelings of each other, guided by moral and ethical considerations, with a single focus of achieving the best result for Terri. I ask the Catholics of the Diocese of St. Petersburg in the waning days of Lent to pray hard to the �Author of All Life� for Terri and for her family.
The italicised emphasis in the above is my own. Please note that the Bishop who is the pastoral authority for all of the family members involved makes no mention of the fact that her husband has abandoned his spouse to live in sin with another woman and father children by her. Just that her "family" is making this decision to murder her. Which seemingly makes it "okay" in the Bishop's opinion.

He also goes on to sat that there should be peace at the end of Terri's life but that it won't happen because of the "intractability" of both sides. Implying that the Schindler's fight to keep their son-in-law from starving their daughter to death, their fight to uphold the Catholic teaching of the sanctity of all human life from natural conception to natural death is somehow wrong and to blame for this situation.

This is not in keeping with the statement of the Florida Bishops wherein the Holy Father, John Paul II was quoted as saying:

I should like particularly to underline how the administration of water and food, even when provided by artificial means, always represents a natural means of preserving life, not a medical act. Its use, furthermore, should be considered, in principle, ordinary and proportionate, and as such morally obligatory, insofar as and until it is seen to have attained its proper finality, which in the present case consists in providing nourishment to the patient and alleviation of his suffering.
The sad fact for Roman Catholics in this diocese is that our bishop is a highly personable man with a charismatic personality and absolutely no intention of standing up for the right to life.
Posted By: Amadeus Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/15/05 05:18 PM
Dear Carole:

I previously read Bishop Lynch's statement and I believe it is in consonance with the Florida Conference's own and that of the USCCB and the Vatican.

The principle of "subjudicie" also covers, and more so, an injunction against any statements or comments by non-parties to the llitigation. Those privy to the litigation(s) are relatively freer under certain circumstances.

Amado
Posted By: Carole Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/15/05 05:41 PM
Dear Carole:

I previously read Bishop Lynch's statement and I believe it is in consonance with the Florida Conference's own and that of the USCCB and the Vatican.
Then you are in the minority as most pro-life Catholics do not find the Bishop's words or actions in keeping with the Church's teaching on the sanctity of life or the belief that hydration and nutrition are not extraordinary medical care.
Posted By: Our Lady's slave Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/15/05 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Carole:
[b] Dear Carole:

Then you are in the minority as most pro-life Catholics do not find the Bishop's words or actions in keeping with the Church's teaching on the sanctity of life or the belief that hydration and nutrition are not extraordinary medical care. [/b]
Carole ,
You may not have realised that there are a fair number of Lawyers on Byzcath - and they tend to be fairly guarded in making comments on cases like this.

I'm sure we are all disgusted by the events surrounding this case - BUT I doubt if we have heard ALL the facts on every side.

We are layfolk and we must trust in God - that he will prod those who should and can take action.

We must wait and pray - we can do no more.

Anhelyna
Posted By: Carole Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/15/05 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Our Lady's slave of love:
Carole ,
You may not have realised that there are a fair number of Lawyers on Byzcath - and they tend to be fairly guarded in making comments on cases like this.

I'm sure we are all disgusted by the events surrounding this case - BUT I doubt if we have heard ALL the facts on every side.

We are layfolk and we must trust in God - that he will prod those who should and can take action.

We must wait and pray - we can do no more.

Anhelyna
Perhaps. But that doesn't have anything to do with the behaviour of our Bishop here in the Diocese and the fact that he has not spoken the truth of the Church teaching on starving someone to death.

Catholics in the Diocese of St. Petersburg have had to hear from the Holy Father and from other Bishops that what Michael Schiavo and his lawyer are trying to do is immoral.

I don't believe that Bishop Lynch should speak to the legality of the situation that isn't his job. But speaking to the morality of the case is something he most definitely should do.

I suppose in some way you have to live in his diocese with some of the rubbish that he allows and encourages to fully appreciate this.
Posted By: JohnS. Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/18/05 01:43 AM
Friends,

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Please continue to pray for a miracle to spare the life of the handmaiden of God, Terri Schiavo.

Terri is set to be starved to death starting tomorrow, Friday, March 18, at 1 p.m. (Florida time) when her �inalienable� right to life is revoked.

Wherever we are in our lives at that time tomorrow, perhaps we could take a moment to say a prayer for Terri.

Let�s also remember her loving and long-suffering parents, her husband and those who condemned her unjustly.

Let us pray that the great gift of the Theology of the Body from Pope John Paul II will move our hearts to view life as the greatest of gifts.

Finally, as we prepare ourselves to experience the Passion again in a mystically real way this year, let's also beseech Christ our God for help to be better followers of His Way and not our own way.

Lord, shake the scales from our eyes so that we see all life as a precious gift. Help us to follow your example always. O Most Holy Theotokos Save Us! Amen.

http://www.terrisfight.org/
Posted By: Father Gregory Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/18/05 01:52 PM
Friday, March 18th, today is the day we should all pray and fast for our sister Terry!

Lord Our God and Father look upon Your daughter Teresa whose life is threatened this day and guard her from all evil! We acknowledge and believe that all life is sacred from conception to natural death and we are hoping and praying that You will hear and prayers of Your Church this day and find a way to protect Your daughter and our sister from all harm. May her mother know that we as Church support and stand with her this day and may Terry know that we have done all that we can to protect her life and its great value. Through the intercession of Your Most Holy Mother, 'Vessel of Honor'---hear our prayers and save Your child Teresa! We ask this through the prayers of Your Mother, in Jesus precious and most holy name, He Who with You and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns as God forever and ever, Amen.

In His great mercy,
+Fr. Gregory
Posted By: Father Gregory Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/18/05 06:04 PM
You see---PRAYER works!

Judge: Keep Woman's Feeding Tube in Place

By MITCH STACY, Associated Press Writer

PINELLAS PARK, Fla. - A state judge Friday temporarily blocked the removal of the feeding tube that keeps severely brain-damaged Terri Schiavo alive as legal wrangling continued over efforts by congressional Republicans to have her testify in Washington.

Pinellas Circuit Court Judge David Demers ordered that the feeding tube remain in place past a 1 p.m. EST deadline while fellow Judge George Greer, who is presiding over the Schiavo case, deals with conflicting legal issues.

The Senate Health Committee has requested that Terri Schiavo and her husband, Michael, appear at an official committee hearing on March 28. Earlier Friday, a House committee was issuing congressional subpoenas to stop doctors from disconnecting the feeding tube that keeps her alive.

The hospice where Terri Schiavo lives received a subpoena late Friday morning, spokeswoman Louise Cleary said. Officials there did not disclose their next steps.

"At this time, we are monitoring developments and consulting with legal and ethical advisers to determine what to do," she said.

Michael Schiavo has waged a yearslong court battle with his parents-in-law, contending his 41-year-old wife, who has been in a persistent vegetative state since 1990, would not want to live that way.

Courts have cleared the way for him to remove her feeding tube as early as 1 p.m. Friday. The tube has been removed twice in the past and then reinserted as the battle continued.

"It is a contempt of Congress to prevent or discourage someone from following the subpoena that's been issued," David Gibbs, the attorney for her parents, said. "What the U.S. Congress is saying is, `We want to see Terri Schiavo.'"

"The family is prayerfully excited about their daughter going before the United States Congress for the whole world to see how alive she is."

He said that despite her brain damage, she would be able to travel. A statement from the office of Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., on Friday said the purpose of the hearing was to review health care policies and practices relevant to the care of non-ambulatory people.

Frist's statement noted that it is a federal crime to harm or obstruct a person called to testify before Congress.

Howard Simon, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union (news - web sites)'s Florida office, said his group's attorneys were working with Michael Schiavo's attorneys to determine if the subpoenas would block the scheduled removal of the tube.

"This is clearly an effort to circumvent a lawful court order by a state judge," Simon said. "I am not sure how a subpoena, which is ordinarily done to produce records or somebody to testify, can essentially have the effect of an injunction overriding the orders of a court."

PRAISE TO GOD WHO IN HIS GREAT MERCY HAS SPARED TERRY'S LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In His great mercy,
+Fr. Gregory
Posted By: Amadeus Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/18/05 06:52 PM
Let us continue to pray for Terri Schindler Schiavo!

Over WBBM-Chicago, it is being reported that another Florida State Judge has just issued an order countermanding the previous stay issued by Florida Circuit Court Judge Demers.

Lord, have mercy on us!

Amado
Posted By: Amadeus Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/18/05 07:12 PM
Friends:

That "another Florida State Judge" has been confirmed to be Judge Greer himself, disregarding the subpoenae issued by the U.S. Congress. Thus, Michael Schiavo is now apperently free to disconnect the feeding and hydration tubes!

A patch to Capitol Hill aired the reaction of an aide to the House Committee, which issued the subpoebnae, who said that they will enforce the subpoenae "with the full force of the law."

I hope the U.S. Congress subpoenae will prevail over the order(s) of a State Circuit Court Judge.

But this has become a constitutional law issue!

Let us pray!

Amado
Posted By: Unsubscribe Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/18/05 09:13 PM
PINELLAS PARK, Fla. (AP) - Doctors removed Terri Schiavo's feeding tube Friday despite an extraordinary, last-minute push by Republicans on Capitol Hill to use the subpoena powers of Congress to keep the severely brain-damaged woman alive, a source close to the case told The Associated Press.

It is expected that it will take one to two weeks for Schiavo to die, provided no one intercedes and gets the tube reinserted. The source had been briefed on the situation but spoke on condition of anonymity.

The removal came amid a flurry of maneuvering by Schiavo's parents, state lawmakers and Congress to keep her alive. Committees in the Republican-controlled Congress issued subpoenas for Schiavo, her husband, and her caregivers demanding that they appear at hearings on March 25 and March 28.

But the judge presiding over the case later refused a request from House attorneys to delay the removal, which he had previously ordered to take place at 1 p.m. EST.
Posted By: harmon3110 Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/18/05 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Rose2:
PINELLAS PARK, Fla. (AP) - Doctors removed Terri Schiavo's feeding tube Friday despite an extraordinary, last-minute push by Republicans on Capitol Hill to use the subpoena powers of Congress to keep the severely brain-damaged woman alive, a source close to the case told The Associated Press.

It is expected that it will take one to two weeks for Schiavo to die, provided no one intercedes and gets the tube reinserted.
Sweet Jesus, have mercy!

Save that woman's life.

Amen.
Posted By: Administrator Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/18/05 09:50 PM
I both e-mailed and called my congressman, senators and the president. Others can do the same at:

www.whitehouse.gov [whitehouse.gov]
www.house.gov [house.gov]
www.senate.gov [senate.gov]

In addition to my represenative and senators, I also contacted Senators Bill Frist and Tom DeLay and Representatives Jim Sensenbrenner and Denny Hastert (they are the ones that can spearhead this effort). All totaled, for the phone calls and e-mails it took 15 minutes. I hope that everyone will take the time to do this.
Posted By: Pani Rose Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/18/05 11:30 PM
Eternal Father in the abundance of your tender mercies grant this woman healing. Please heal her body so she is able to function on her own. LORD HEAR THE PRAYERS OF YOUR PEOPLE, WORK A MIRACLE IN TERRI'S LIFE! Let her get up from the bed and walk away so the whole world will see the power of your love. In your name mighty Jesus. AMEN
Posted By: Father Gregory Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/19/05 03:11 PM
Lord our God and Father how very sad are we Your children and Your creation! We value money and things and use each other...and come to You only to ask for things. We bring suffering into the lives of everyone around us and make You put up with our falleness as though You brought it all about. Help us to begin to start taking responsibility for our OWN shortcomings and mistakes and begin to make amends for our own role in the present situation of our world. Help us to start realizing how precious and unique everyone is, but especially the sick, the lame, the mentally and physically challenged---all of life! Give us the grace and strength to DO SOMETHING beautiful for You by living differently; as though You are at work within our lives...and trying to continue Your ministry and life here on earth by touching all around us with love and reverence! How tired You must be of us and our nasty sins! How patient You are with our slowness to change and become what You call us to be! frown Grant us renewed resolve TODAY to being to live differently...and may we look back tonight and see a change in our lives because we actually reached out TODAY and touched someone with kindness and smiles and pardon and healing! O Lord help us TODAY to being anew! In Jesus, Who is the Anointed You sent into this world to show us the way home to You, Amen.

In Him Who calls us to new life,
+Fr. Gregory
Posted By: byzanTN Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/19/05 03:16 PM
I am so depressed about this, I don't even want to pray anymore.
Posted By: Father Gregory Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/19/05 03:23 PM
Then the evil one wins! If cannot do anything else, at least we must continue to pray that: the Lord will bring something good even out of this! At the very least, we should give glory and thanks to Him for Terry's life and the beauty we see there!

Humbly,
Your brother in His Name,
+Fr. Gregory
Posted By: byzanTN Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/19/05 03:38 PM
Of course, I realize that. Although, so far, the prayers haven't been very effective.
Posted By: Porter Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/19/05 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Pani Rose:
Eternal Father in the abundance of your tender mercies grant this woman healing. Please heal her body so she is able to function on her own. LORD HEAR THE PRAYERS OF YOUR PEOPLE, WORK A MIRACLE IN TERRI'S LIFE! Let her get up from the bed and walk away so the whole world will see the power of your love. In your name mighty Jesus. AMEN
Pani Rose,

Ron and I both say AMEN and join you in this prayer for a miracle.

Mary Jo
Posted By: Theist Gal Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/19/05 08:39 PM
Originally posted by byzanTN:
Of course, I realize that. Although, so far, the prayers haven't been very effective.
I know EXACTLY how you feel.

And I know we should keep praying, regardless of our feelings, so I will. But just wanted to let you know, you are not the only one feeling this way.
Posted By: byzanTN Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/19/05 08:49 PM
I know EXACTLY how you feel.

And I know we should keep praying, regardless of our feelings, so I will. But just wanted to let you know, you are not the only one feeling this way.
Thanks, that makes me feel better. You are right, and I will keep praying. But this one has been a bit discouraging. I am also praying for her husband's conversion. He sounds like he is very much in need of it.
Posted By: Our Lady's slave Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/19/05 09:05 PM
Tomorrow is Palm Sunday - sometimes known as Passion Sunday.

Terri is now entering the Passion too - and unless someone , somewhere , does something her journey will end the way Christ's journey on this week did .

This is Great and Holy Week - Terri is now sharing ,in her own way, in the Passion and Suffering of Christ.

His suffering ended as we all know in Death , death on the Cross.

The great difference is that He triumphed over death and rose again..

Terri will be with Him - when her time comes the angels will take this innocent woman and bear her into God's presence .

She has suffered much she is suffering much - she will not suffer again.

Out of the depths I have cried out to You, O Lord :
O Lord hear my voice.
May Your ear give heed to the voice of my supplication.
If You marked iniquities , O Lord,O Lord who shall withstand ?
For with You is propitiation ;
for Your name's sake have I waited for You , O Lord.
My soul has waited for Your word.
My soul has hoped on the Lord
from the morning watch until night;
from the morning watch until night, let Israel hope on the Lord.
For with the Lord there is mercy,
and with Him plenteous redemption,
and he will deliver Israel
from all his iniquities.

Lord have mercy on Terri.

Lord have mercy on those who have caused this torment to happen - surely they are in great need of His mercy

Anhelyna - in grief
Posted By: Father Gregory Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/19/05 09:45 PM
Congress Announces Deal in Schiavo Case

20 minutes ago (approximately 4:24 PM Saturday, March 19th) Politics - U. S. Congress

By SIOBHAN McDONOUGH, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Congressional leaders hoped a deal reached Saturday would clear the way for a brain-damaged woman to resume being fed while a federal court reviews the right-to-die battle between her parents and her husband.

"We think we have found a solution" to the Terri Schiavo case, House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas, said at a Capitol Hill news conference.

"We are confident this compromise addresses everyone's concerns, we are confident it will provide Mrs. Schiavo a clear and appropriate avenue for appeal in federal court, and most importantly, we are confident this compromise will restore nutrition and hydration to Mrs. Schiavo as long as that appeal endures," he said.

Final approval was hoped for Sunday when the House planned to meet in a special session, he said. The Senate intended to meet Saturday evening on the matter.

President Bush (news - web sites) was expected to sign the bill as soon as it gets to him.

A White House spokesman, Jeanie Mamo, said the president, who was at his Texas ranch "was supportive of the efforts by congressional leaders. We remain in contact with Congress and the president is being kept apprised."

The compromise was similar to a Senate bill passed Thursday that would let a federal court review the state judge's decision in the Schiavo case. House Republicans had favored broader legislation that applied similar cases that questioned the legality of withholding food or medical treatment from people who are incapacitated.

Schiavo's feeding tube was disconnected Friday afternoon. Schiavo, 41, could linger for one to two weeks if no one intercedes and gets the tube reinserted.

GOP Rep. James Sensenbrenner of Wisconsin, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee (news - web sites), said the measure was "narrowly targeted" and did not set a precedent.

For a decade, a feud has raged between Schiavo's husband, Michael, and her parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, who have tried to oust Michael Schiavo as their daughter's guardian and keep in place the tube that has kept her alive for more than 15 years.

Michael Schiavo says his wife told him she would not want to be kept alive artificially. Her parents dispute that, saying she could get better and that their daughter has laughed, cried, smiled and responded to their voices.

On Friday, Republicans used their subpoena power to demand that Schiavo be brought before a congressional hearing, with lawmakers saying that removing the tube amounted to "barbarism."

The Florida judge presiding over the case rejected the request from House lawyers to delay the tube's removal. Late Friday, the U.S. Supreme Court (news - web sites), without comment, denied an emergency request from the House committee that issued the subpoenas to reinsert Schiavo's feeding tube while the committee filed appeals in the lower courts to have its subpoenas recognized.

Please God!

In His great mercy,
+Fr. Gregory
Posted By: Pani Rose Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/19/05 10:16 PM
PRAISE GOD!

THANK YOU JESUS FOR HEARING THE PRAYERS OF YOUR PEOPLE. ETERNAL FATHER, MAY YOUR WILL BE DONE ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN. Thank you for calling this land to prayer awakening us to the injustices that we have allowed to happen in our nation.

Michael Schiavo says his wife told him she would not want to be kept alive artificially. Her parents dispute that, saying she could get better and that their daughter has laughed, cried, smiled and responded to their voices.
Lord let reality sink in. We all to often lean on our own understanding and not yours. IF Terri made this statement to her husband it was when she was leaning on her own understanding. Now Jesus her life is totally in your AWESOME LIFE GIVING HANDS, and she has learned in her state to lean on your understanding of the purpose of life, though she cannot say so. Restore life to her Jesus. Let your will be done. Amen.
Posted By: Amadeus Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/20/05 12:40 AM
As we continue to pray for Terri's deliverance, let us give thanks to the Lord for the concern and sensitivity shown by our national legislators, led by Sen. Frist and Rep. DeLay, and by our Chief Executive, Pres. Bush.

It seems the judiciary is operating under a different level in its appreciation of what's legal versus what is moral.

Amado
Posted By: Porter Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/20/05 02:08 AM
Thanks be to God!
Posted By: Father Gregory Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/20/05 08:21 PM
frown House GOP Fails to OK Schiavo Legislation

By JIM ABRAMS, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - House Republicans, seeing Congress as a last hope for brain-damaged Terri Schiavo, failed during an extraordinary Palm Sunday session to pass legislation aimed at prolonging the Florida woman's life.

Once Democrats refused to allow the measure to go ahead without objection, Republicans began scrambling to bring lawmakers, who had just started their Easter recess, back to Washington.

Majority Republicans called a recess after the four-minute session and said they planned to meet as early as one minute after midnight on Monday � if they get at least 218 of the 435-member House to attend.

The Senate awaited the chance for quick approval of a bill that congressional leaders said would allow Schiavo's feeding tube to be reconnected. President Bush (news - web sites) was cutting short a stay at his Texas ranch and returning to the White House by Sunday evening in hopes of being able to sign the bill.

"Her feeding tube was removed, so time was important at this point," White House spokesman Scott McClellan said, explaining Bush's decision to return to the capital. "Hours do matter at this point," McClellan told reporters aboard Air Force One.

He said the president had not made any calls to lawmakers about the legislation, drafted after an order from a Florida judge allowed Schiavo's husband to have the feeding tube disconnected on Friday afternoon. McClellan said the bill was an effort to give Schiavo's parents "an opportunity to save their daughter's life."

After Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., gaveled the House into session, Democrats made clear they would not let the bill pass on a voice vote. That meant the need for GOP leaders to gather the required number of lawmakers for a roll call vote.

The House has 232 Republicans, 202 Democrats and one independent.

Like McClellan, congressional Republicans denied that political motivations were behind legislative efforts.

"I hope we're not ... making this human tragedy a political issue," said Sen. John McCain (news, bio, voting record), R-Ariz. "We've got plenty of other issues that are political in nature for us to fight about."

The bill would give Schiavo's parents the right to file suit in federal court relating to the withdrawal of food and medical treatment needed to sustain the life of their daughter.

The bill states that the U.S. District Court, after determining the merits of the suit, "shall issue such declaratory and injunctive relief as may be necessary to protect the rights" of the woman. Injunctive relief in this case could mean the reinserting of feeding tubes.

McCain was asked on ABC's "This Week" about a memo suggesting GOP lawmakers could use the case to appeal to Christian conservative voters.

"I think that the motivation of my colleagues is that we want to give this young woman's family a chance to care for her for as long as she lives," McCain said. "I don't think it's any more complicated than that."

But some House Democrats were objecting to congressional involvement.

"The Republicans in Congress do not like the results that the Florida courts have reached and they are going to this extraordinary remedy of now stripping the Florida court of its jurisdiction so that maybe there can be another outcome," Rep. Robert Wexler (news, bio, voting record), D-Fla., told NBC's "Today" show.

Rep. Earl Blumenauer (news, bio, voting record), D-Ore., said in a statement, "The assault by ideologues and intolerant people who would impose government on these most personal decisions continues."

Keep praying and join your fasting to that prayer for strength and power...that the Lord will still find a way to keep His servant's life!

In His great mercy,
+Fr. Gregory
Posted By: Amadeus Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/21/05 02:17 AM
Dear Fr. Gregory:

Yes, I join you and countless others in continuing to pray fervently that what is morally right triumphs over legalities!

After the "debacle" at the lower House, the U.S. Senate approved by a voice vote the identical Bill being then considered by the U.S. Representatives.

Hopefully, at 1 minute past midnight today, the lower House shall have the necessary attendance to consider the same Bill arleady passed by the U.S. Senate.

Meanwhile, the White House indicated that Pres. Bush will be available at ANY TIME to sign the Bill into law!

Amado
Posted By: Lawrence Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/21/05 03:18 AM
I just got off the phone with an aide to my Congressman, Daniel Lipinski. The aide stated that the Congressman fully supports Terri's family and their efforts to save her life. I've also contacted my Senators Richard Durbin and Barack Obama and voiced my opinion, though they may not be supportive. I would hope that everyone on the Forum who resides within the United States, would contact their Senators and Congressional Representative and let their voice be heard. Those who live outside the United States could contact the American Embassy within their respective countries. In the mean time, may we all be praying very fervently on Terri Schiavo's behalf.
Posted By: Pani Rose Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/21/05 04:30 AM
I tried to call today and got no answer, but I think it may be that all the lines were busy.

Fr. Groschel just said point blank on his program tonight on EWTN that this is the entry of euthanasia into America. He described it like Roe in Roe v. Wade, there was never a need for an abortion, there was never an abortion. There is no need for this woman to die, this is a matter of conveience. So it must stop here!

Lord hear the prayer of your people joining with the prayers of her family and her suffering. Heal her completely Sweetest Jesus and heal this land. AMen

Pani Rose
Posted By: Our Lady's slave Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/21/05 08:58 AM
First item on the BBC News this morning

President Bush has signed the Bill biggrin

Now I understand the Federal Court can take action - hopefully it will be very very soon

Prayers for Terri continue
Posted By: wild goose Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/21/05 12:23 PM
I should think there are not a few Christians who are praying that the mercy which the State may take will be the Mercy of God.

How long must Terri suffer?

I give thanks that God is always beside Terri and that no matter what happens God will not leave her. God will also gladly receive her when she expires. Perhaps God wills an early release.

No matter what happens, she belongs to God. Where is the mercy in re-inserting the feeding tube? prayerfully, wg
Posted By: Father Gregory Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/21/05 12:39 PM
The important thing seems to be that we remember that the REAL family wishes to have reverence and respect for Terry's life...and her husband, who is living with another woman (by whom, he has now fathered two children) can be assumed to have other 'motives' besides Terry's well-being in mind. Hence, the need and desire by Terry's REAL family (her parents and siblings) to see to it that Terry's life is sustained. What kind of a husband also denies to forbid Terry, the sacraments of her Church???

In Christ Who is Lord,
+Fr. Gregory
Posted By: byzanTN Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/21/05 01:00 PM
I have a question about the emergency legislation. Do we have any reason to believe the federal courts will be any more helpful to Terri's family than the state courts have been? Of course, I can hope and pray, but is this assumption that the federal courts are better, rest on reality?
Posted By: JonnNightwatcher Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/21/05 01:41 PM
reading these posts on the Terri Schiavo situation. I hope that none of us will have a heart wrenching situation as this. One question: a few times on the news when the Schindlers were being covered, I have noticed what looks like a Monastic or a Priest in a black cassock with what I believe is a Slavonic pectoral.what's that about?
Much Love,
Jonn
Posted By: Amadeus Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/21/05 03:33 PM
Dear Charles:

The transfer of jurisdiction from the Florida State Courts (Pinellas County Circuit Court) to the Federal Courts (U.S. District Court in Tampa) DOES NOT guarantee a favorable outcome for Terri and her family.

"Terri's Law" merely provides another avenue and, hopefully, a more reasoned process for the determination of the "rights" concurrently claimed by Michael Schiavo and Bob and Mary Schindler.

Because of the "intervention" of the U.S. Congress (and, by inference, of the U.S. President), a constitutional battle looms in the horizon even at the Federal judiciary level since some legal circles view this "intervention" as contrary to accepted principles of separation (or "equality") of powers among the 3 branches of government.

The short-term goal of the legistlation is, at least, in the interim while the Federal Judge tries to focus on the issues raised in the case(s), he has the inherent power to order the immediate re-insertion of the feeding and hydration tubes, which should have been done by now.

Mind you, Michael Schiavo and his lawyer, can file (must have filed by now) a motion in opposition to the temporary injunctive relief (re-insertion of the tubes) filed by the lawyer of the Schindler family at around 3 a.m. this morning.

Thanks be to God for granting this minor, but critical, avenue to Terri and her family!

Amado
Posted By: Amadeus Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/21/05 03:44 PM
Dear Jonn:

You asked:

One question: a few times on the news when the Schindlers were being covered, I have noticed what looks like a Monastic or a Priest in a black cassock with what I believe is a Slavonic pectoral.what's that about?

He could be Bro. Hilary McGee, a Franciscan Brother for Peace from Minneapolis-St. Paul, or either of his 2 confreres, who are lending spiritual support to the family.

Amado
Posted By: Pani Rose Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/21/05 04:04 PM
I guess her husband contradicted himself on Larry King, makes me wonder...
~~~~~
Shortly after saying his determination to end Terri's life was about her wishes, Schiavo changed his story in the King interview. Asked if he understood her family's feelings, he said: "Yes, I do. But this is not about them, it's about Terri. And I've also said that in court. We didn't know what Terri wanted, but this is what we want. ..."
~~~~~

Is that what he and the mother of his children want?

Thank you Jesus for changing the venue on this. Let there be justice according to your Law Almighty Father, according to your will. Amen.

Pani Rose
Posted By: Joe T Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/21/05 05:42 PM

Surrrrre ...
Sounds like a peaceful and painless final solution to all starving people.

My mouth is like baked clay; I can count all my bones. I thirst.
Posted By: byzanTN Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/21/05 06:49 PM
Amado, what I have also heard recently, is that the state judge in Florida (Greer, if I remember his name correctly) is not even a lawyer. That one can be a judge in that state without legal training. I find that incredible, since the requirements for judges in Tennessee are quite stringent.
Posted By: Amadeus Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/21/05 07:12 PM
Charles:

What you heard might be totally incorrect.

I cannot think of any other State in the Union, or of any country in the world for that matter, which allows non-lawyers to become judges.

How would ordinary lawyers be reassured that what they are presenting before a judge will be considered properly and "educated" enough? How can a non-lawyer decide on procedural matters, let alone on the merits of a case if he himself/herself is not a lawyer in the first place?

There is a distinct "language" in the legal profession (that includes the bench and the bar) that requires years of practice to master.

Amado

P.S. What I heard is that Judge Greer has just removed his name from the rolls of his Baptist Church. wink
Posted By: Amadeus Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/21/05 07:43 PM
Charles:

I located a website (which unfortunately I cannot open with my old browser) stating that Judge George Greer practised law for 26 years (8 years of which as concurrent County Commissioner) before he was elected as Judge of the Florida 6th Circuit Court (Pinellas County) in 1992.

With his popularity rising with Terri Schiavo's case, he is said to be eyeing to become the Chief Judge for the circuit. But even at 63 years young, he may not be a good candidate for that.

He is now way off from a Justice's seat in Florida's Supreme Court or from being appointed to the Federal bench because of public perception of his handling (mishandling?) Terri's case.

Amado
Posted By: Pani Rose Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/22/05 07:32 AM
May this judge be favorable to life for Terri according to your purpose and will Jesus.
Posted By: harmon3110 Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/22/05 12:17 PM
The federal judge has denied the request to reinsert Terri's feedling tube.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7254897/
Posted By: JonnNightwatcher Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/22/05 01:57 PM
After hearing what I heard from Bob Schindler on TV this morning, I am solidly on the side of Terri, no quavering, now. So that's what Mikey Schiavo has been up to! and no living will to prove that Terri did not want extraordinary measures to keep her alive.
What I am proud of is David Gibbs and his work. I graduated from Temple Baptist Seminary in 2002 (Magna cum Laude)Mr. Gibbs was presented with an honorary doctorate at the time. I am sure that he might get criticism from certain Fundamentalist circles for standing by a Catholic family, as he as a rule works almost exclusively with Independent Baptist churches and causes, but he is high in my estimation, now. God bless David Gibbs!
Much Love,
Jonn
Posted By: Amadeus Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/22/05 03:48 PM
The "Order" issued by US District Judge James Whittemore denying the Schindler's petition for a temporary injunctive relief (re-insertion of feeding tube) is now under appeal in Atlanta before the 11th District of the U.S. Court of Appeals. Since it is an emergency appeal, it will be considered and decided by a 3-Judge Panel.

This is an appeal on the procedural rights of the litigants and it does not involve as yet the merits (or "substance") of Terri's case. Judging (pun intended) from the comments of Judge Whittemore during the oral arguments in open court as reported in the media, especially those directed to the counsel of the Schindlers, Terri's cause at this juncture is not rosy at all.

Judge Whittemore's comments are now reflected in his "Order" denying the petition, based on the failure of the petitioners (the Schindlers), by and through Atty. Gibbs, to establish "a substantial likelihood of success on the merits" of the case, the first of four requirements for the favorable issuance of a temporary injunction (or temporary restraining order).

Reading Judge Whittemore's "Order," it is well-reasoned and backed by decisions of the U.S. Supreme Court on the same or similar procedural issues.

Now, I have grave doubts whether the 11th District of the U.S. Court of Appeals will disturb the District Judge's findings.

Let us pray that, somehow, the 3-Judge Panel of the 11th Circuit, U.S. Court of Appeals, will see it otherwise. Let's also hope that, if radio news reports just coming in are accurate, the U.S. Department of Justice will file an intervention in this appeal.

It is gut-wrenching to be witnessing Terri's case go through the legal maze while she lies there hungry and thirsting. Lord, have mercy!

The emergecny legislation (an act of mercy) passed by the U.S. Congress and signed into law by Pres. Bush just went for naught!

Amado
Posted By: harmon3110 Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/23/05 08:30 AM
The federal appeals court denied the appeal.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com

God have mercy. They are going to kill that poor woman; they are really going to do it. God have mercy.

--John
Posted By: Pani Rose Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/23/05 08:50 AM
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, through the prayers of the Most Holy Theotokos, have mercy on us and on the whole world. Fogive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us...Lord have mercy on Terri, her family and supporters, and on all who have struggled through prayer and thoughts asking for mercy.

In the abuandance of you tender mercy Lord as you raised Dorcus from death, as you raised the commanders daughter, as you called Lazarus from the tomb, only you Jesus can call Terri from the tomb. Raise her up on her last day Lord, as all means of man have been exhausted, you alone can help, you alone can save. Let them find her clothed and sitting in her right mind, all faculties restored to her, that the world will see the power of your life giving ressurection in this most holy time of the year. Jesus we know you hear the prayers of your faithful, let it be so now Jesus in this day and time.

In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, AMEN.
Posted By: Father Gregory Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/23/05 12:12 PM
Alas, what a society we are creating: one that aborts its young and kills people who it deems 'not valuable'! We need to weep for our society---but THEN we need to begin to evangelize those around us and spread the word that, GOD LOVES US, DIED FOR US, AND ROSE FROM THE DEAD FOR US...and that He puts great value of ALL LIFE, from the womb to natural death.

Most Holy Mother of God, 'Joy of Those Who Sorrow' pray to your Son for us!

In His great mercy,
+Fr. Gregory
Posted By: Amadeus Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/23/05 03:44 PM
On to the U.S. Supreme Court and/or to Tallahasee at the Florida State Legislature.

The majority decision of the 3-Judge panel of the Federal Appeals Court in Atlanta confirmed our fears.

It dampens our enthusiasm but should strengthen our resolve to pray more fervently for Terri's deliverance.

Let us also pray for the "conversion" of some Florida State legislators who now are being convened to reconsider a proposed law to have the feeding tube re-inserted, unapproved during its last session because of a lack of sufficient votes to pass it.

Further, let us pray that Justice Anthony Kennedy of the U.S. Supreme Court will take the appeal/petition for review of the Appellate Court's decision and alone by himself issue an order or minute resolution countermanding the respective orders of the 2 lower courts or, in the alternative, give a positive recommendation to the other Justices if he decides to refer the case to the Supreme Court en banc.

Furthermore, let us pray that the Supreme Court, Justice Kennedy by himself or en banc, reconsider the dissenting opinion of Federal Appeals Court Judge Charles Wilson who wrote that [Terri] Schiavo's &#8220;imminent&#8221; death would end the case before it could be fully considered and he failed to see any harm in reinserting the feeding tube. Judge Wilson also observed that the majority failed to consider the "intent" of the U.S. Congress in enacting on Monday the law aimed at preserving the status quo, i.e., the feeding tube stay in place.

Lastly, let us pray that Bob and Mary Schindler and their son and surviving other daughter persevere and do not lose hope in Divine Providence.

Quo vadis, America?

Amado
Posted By: Amadeus Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/23/05 06:12 PM
The Schindlers have chosen to appeal (probably a motion for reconsideration of the decision of the 3-judge panel) to the full 12-member bench of the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals (Atlanta), reserving their next, and probably last, judicial life-line for the U.S. Supreme Court.

I was hoping for this legal maneuver as the dissenting opinion of Appeals Judge Charles Wilson may sway a majority of his co-magistrates.

Let us pray for a positive outcome this time around!

Amado

(Keeping his fingers crossed!)
Posted By: Amadeus Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/23/05 09:27 PM
The 12-judge 11th Circuit Court of Appeals, by a 10-2 decision, has just denied the Schindlers' petition for a re-hearing of their case and an appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court now remains as the only avenue for judicial review of the matter.

Although all previous petitions of the Schindlers were not taken by the U.S. Supreme Court, let us hope and pray that the enactment of "Terri's Law II" by the U.S. Congress and its signing into law by Pres. Bush in the wee hours of last Monday will "force" Justice Anthony Kennedy or the Court en banc to take cognizance of the case and issue a ruling favorable to Terri and her parents thereafter.

But the window of opportunity is fast closing on the Schindlers excepting an emergency legislation by the Florida State Legislature to re-insert Terri's feeding tube or by the exercise of executive privilege either by Gov. Jeb Bush or by Pres. G.W. Bush.

Please join me in continuing to pray for Terri's deliverance.

Amado frown
Posted By: Amadeus Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/23/05 10:36 PM
Another avenue is closed with the non-approval by the Florida State Senate just an hour ago or so of legislation that would have allowed the re-insertion of Terri's feeding tube.

With that, Gov. Jeb Bush was said to be considering a directive to the DCF to take custody of Terri.

Let us pray that this latest move will materialize fast!

Amado
Posted By: Lawrence Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/23/05 10:46 PM
I'm continuing in my prayers for Terri Schiavo and her family. These are truly horrifying times for our country. If Terri is starved to death what will it say about the moral state of our nation. Terri Schiavo has been denied Holy Communion, and now her family are being searched before being allowed to see her. How dare we say we are one nation under God while allowing this to happen.
Posted By: Non_nomen Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/24/05 04:05 PM
The Supreme Court refused to hear the case. Greer is supposed to make a decision at 12:00 EST regarding the state's attempt to take custody of Terri.

~~~For the sick, the suffering, and the captive, let us pray to the Lord!~~~
Posted By: Amadeus Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/24/05 04:07 PM
At this moment, 2 courts are considering the fate of Terri:

First, the State Circuit Court under Judge Greer (yes, the same Judge) is determining whether Florida's DCF, under directive from Gov. Jeb Bush, has the authority and power to take custody of Terri based on "new evidence" of misdiagnosis and probable "mistreatment." A secondary issue is: Can the State take forcible custody of Terri, or of any other person in her situation, if the State deems there is evidence of mistreatment?

Second, the appeal from/petition for review of the 10-2 decison of the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals (Atlanta) has been filed with the U.S. Supreme Court (referred to in some posts/articles as the SCOTUS). It was not clear whether Justice Kennedy will consider the appeal/petition solely by himself or refer it to the Court en banc.

Considering the "history" behind both of these "new" cases, the cards are stacked against Terri and the Schindlers. frown

We might have one or both decisions at around 12 noon, Eastern Time.

Please, dear Lord, have mercy!

Amado

P.S. YES, AFTER POSTING THE ABOVE, THE U.S. SUPREME COURT JUST DID REJECT THE SCHINDLER'S APPEAL/PETITION IN A TERSE 1-PAGE ORDER AS POINTED OUT BY NON-NOMEN!
Posted By: byzanTN Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/24/05 04:34 PM
I hate to say it, but I think this is a lost cause. It seems clear the courts do not want to deal with this case anymore. Prayers continue, but I am not hopeful. It would take something on the order of the Red Sea parting to make a difference now.
Posted By: Amadeus Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/24/05 04:39 PM
Dear Charles:

Yes, it is very near the end of Terri's judicial life-line!

Amado
Posted By: paromer Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/24/05 04:44 PM
Just maybe:

Arrest Mr. Schiavo on a charge of spousal abuse.
When he is in jail reinstate Mrs. Schiavo's food and water.
Posted By: Orthodox Catholic Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/24/05 04:55 PM
Dear Friends,

I can't believe this is happening in this day and age!

And all the people in seniors homes et al. who need others to feed them! What's next? Will they be allowed to die slowly of starvation and dehydration?

I am very much afraid of a possible Divine chastisement . . .

I'm going to be very nice to my spouse from now on, you betcha . . .

Sadly,

Alex
Posted By: Amadeus Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/24/05 04:58 PM
Dear Paul:

For this to happen, there has to be some "physical evidence" of spousal abuse.

I think the tact being followed by the State, through the DCF, is short of asserting there is "criminal abuse" in Terri's case.

"Mistreatment" as a basis for State intervention, however, requires Court determination. This is where Judge Greer comes into the picture, again!

And back to square 1! frown

Prayers continue . . .

Amado
Posted By: djs Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/24/05 05:28 PM
Amado,

Can you explain why it is that the forbidding of non-artifical means of hydration/nourishment is not considered abuse under Fl law?
Posted By: paromer Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/24/05 05:34 PM
My mother was fed and hydrated through a feeding tube for 5-years after a severe stroke. She was in a similar state as Mrs. Schiavo. She died of infection. May she rest in peace.

Lord have mercy! If you withhold food and water from a pet or livestock you will be charged with animal abuse/maltreatment.

Lord have mercy!
Posted By: Amadeus Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/24/05 05:51 PM
Dear DJS:

I have not read Florida's actual statutory provision governing this situation.

However, I think it is not considered abuse because Florida State Law currently includes non-artificial means of hydration/nourishment in the definition of "life-prolonging procedure" you cited in another thread, which could be withdrawn by the person pre-authorized to do so.

In Terri's case, it is sad because it is not "clear" whether Michael is pre-authorized based on his say-so, without any written evidence of such authorization signed by Terri.

An amendment to this law is the last recourse by removing the term "non-artifical means of hydration/nourishment" from that definition.

Amado
Posted By: Amadeus Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/24/05 07:33 PM
Dear Friends:

Florida State Circuit Court Judge Greer has just rendered a decision against the DCF that the State of Florida (through the DCF) lacks legal grounds to take custody of Terri Schindler Schiavo!

This is probably the last recourse to the Court system, barring a filing of an amended complaint, based on "new" evidence ("misdiagnosis" and/or
"mistreatment") before Federal District Judge Whittemore in Tampa.

Now comes the "executive privilege" of Gov. Jeb Bush into the fore, the exercise of which should be based on legally defensible grounds. Whether he wants to exercise it or not is the question!

Let us continue to pray for Terri and the Schindlers!

Amado frown
Posted By: djs Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/24/05 07:51 PM
Dear Amado,
I understand that removal of artifical feeding/hydration is possible under Fl law.
What I don't see is how it could be lawful to forbid attempts to give non-artifical feeding and hydration. Non-artificial means may prove impossible, but I don't see how it is lawful to avoid trying them.

In Terri's case, it is sad because it is not "clear" whether Michael is pre-authorized based on his say-so, without any written evidence of such authorization signed by Terri.
It is not a question, as I understand it, of him being authorized. It was the finding of the court that although there was no written statement, there was "clear and compelling" evidence to support the conclusion the it was her will to avoid artifical life-prolonging procedures - which, as you point out, include artifical feeding/hydration in FL.
Posted By: Amadeus Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/24/05 08:56 PM
Dear DJS:

I misquoted the portion of the law you cited.

What you asked was why it is considered lawful under Florida State laws to forbid another person from feeding Terri by "non-artificial", i.e.,"natural" means.

Again, I have not read the actual statutory provisions on this matter but I venture, again, to answer it.

I think in one of the cases already decided by the Florida State Courts (or in one of the articles I read on the Internet), any "means" of feeding Terri, whether it be by tube, intravenous, or orally by another person other than Terri herself was deemed "artificial" (versus "natural" or "non-artificial") and, therefore, it is within the right of the pre-authorized person to prohibit it.

In effect, there is no other "natural" means left for another person to feed or hydrate Terri except by herself which, under the circumstances, an impossibility. That's the interpretation of the Circuit Court and affirmed by Florida's Supreme Court.

On the other hand, we tend to view that any feeding or hydration of a disabled person or an extremely ill person, who, because of their disability or extreme illness, cannot feed or hydrate by themselves, is "natural" regardless of the "means" of accomplishing it.

The act of giving sustenance to oneself or by another if disabled or exteremely ill is a "natural" human act, which the Church has been trying to put across.

Amado
Posted By: Theist Gal Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/24/05 09:03 PM
Terri's Psalm (Psalm 62(63))

Oh God, you are my God, for you I long;
for you my soul is thirsting.
My body pines for you
like a dry, weary land without water.
So I gaze on you in the sanctuary
to see your strength and your glory.

For your love is better than life,
my lips shall speak your praise.
So I will bless you all my life,
in your name I will lift up my hands.
My soul shall be filled as with a banquet,
my mouth shall praise you with joy.

On my bed I remember you.
On you I muse through the night
for you have been my help;
in the shadow of your wings I rejoice.
My soul clings to you;
your right hand holds me fast.
Posted By: Pani Rose Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/24/05 09:09 PM
This is from Dr. Cheshire is the director of a laboratory at the Mayo Clinic branch in Jacksonville that deals with unconscious reflexes like digestion. Maybe it answers the questions you are posing:

"It is my understanding that nearly three years have passed since Terri has had the benefit of neurologic consultation," Dr. Cheshire wrote in his affidavit. "How then are we to be certain about her current neurologic status? There remain, in fact, huge uncertainties in regard to Terri's true neurologic status."...

Cheshire cited studies indicating a high rate of false initial diagnoses of PVS.

"Furthermore, the diagnosis of minimally conscious state had not yet become standard parlance in the field of neurology at the time of Terri's initial diagnosis," he wrote. "The minimally conscious state has emerged as a distinct diagnostic entity within the last few years."

Cheshire also pointed out that Schiavo has not undergone functional imaging studies, such as positron emission tomography, or PET, or functional magnetic resonance imagining, or fMRI.

"New facts have come to light in the last few years that should be weighed in the neurologic assessment of Terri Schiavo," he said. "Significant strides have been made in the scientific understanding of PVS and minimally conscious states since Terri last underwent neurologic evaluation. As usually happens with science, the newest evidence is prompting the medical community to think about this field in new ways. With new evidence comes fresh appreciation for what is actually happening in the brains of persons with profound cognitive impairment."

Cheshire said news studies show that when patients in a minimally conscious state listen to narratives read by a familiar person "large areas of the cerebral cortex normally involved in language recognition and processing lit up." He said the presence of metabolic activity in those brain cells was far more than expected.

He cited seven reasons to doubt the prior diagnosis of PVS in Terri Schiavo:

# He found her facial expression brightens and she smiles in response to the voice of familiar people such as her parents or her nurse. Her agitation subsides and her facial demeanor softens when quiet music is played. "When jubilant piano music is played, her face brightens, she lifts her eyebrows, smiles, and even laughs." Cheshire said several times he witnessed Schiavo laugh when someone in the room made a humorous comment.

# She fixates her gaze on colorful objects and human faces for up to 15 seconds at a time and occasionally follows with her eyes as objects move from side to side. "When I first walked into the room, she immediately turned her head toward me and looked directly at my face. There was a look of curiosity or expectation in her expression, and she maintained eye contact for about half a minute." Cheshire said she also appeared to attempt to speak to him.

# Although he did not hear her utter distinct words, the doctor said "she demonstrates emotional expressivity by her use of single syllable vocalizations and cooing sounds. In reviewing previous affidavits, he noted that as late as 2003, the patient was heard to tell nurses to "stop" during certain procedures.

# He noted that in a previous examination by a neurologist, the patient appeared to try to follow certain commands � such as closing her eyes. She also raised her right leg four times when asked to do so in 2002 under examination.

# In that same 2002 examination by a neurologist, captured on videotape, Schiavo was turned on her side and probed with a sharp piece of wood. She reacted with sounds of discomfort. After that procedure, the neurologist commented to her parents that they would have to roll her over on her other side. Schiavo vocalized a crying sound in response. "It is important to note that, at that moment, no one is touching Terri or causing actual pain," he writes. Rather, he says, she appears to comprehending what was said and anticipating pain.

# According to the definition of PVS, he writes, patients do not have the capacity to experience pain and suffering. Yet, he concludes, after reviewing her medical records, pain issues frequently arise. "The nurses at Woodside Hospice told us that she often has pain with menstrual cramps." The pain and agitation subside when she is given ibuprofen. "If Terri is consciously aware of pain, and therefore is capable of suffering, then her diagnosis of PVS may be tragically mistaken," he concludes.

# "To enter the room of Terri Schiavo is nothing like entering the room of a patient who is comatose or brain-dead or in some neurological sense no longer there," he writes. "Although Terri did not demonstrate during our 90-minute visit compelling evidence of verbalization, conscious awareness, or volitional behavior, yet the visitor has the distinct sense of the presence of a living human being who seems at some level to be aware of some things around her."

"As I looked at Terri, and she gazed directly back at me, I asked myself whether, if I were her attending physician, I could in good conscience withdraw her feeding and hydration," he wrote. "No, I could not. I could not withdraw life support if I were asked. I could not withhold life-sustaining nutrition and hydration from this beautiful lady whose face brightens in the presence of others."

Cheshire indicated he could see no reason to withdraw the sustenance.
http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43470
~~~~

Lord Jesus as we approach your Last Supper tonight, may we remember Terri as the laws of this world have imposed her last supper already. Lord on the day of your Ressurection, let there be ressurection for her. Sweet Jesus we ask in your name that you raise her from the dead, though she lives she is dying. Let this be a sign to the world of your might. Lord we ask for rays of light from heaven to beam on this land. All means of man are exhausted to save her Almighty Father, you are the Lover of Mankind and a jealous God at that. Your desire may be to bring her home with you, but Abba we are asking for a miracle in our day. Let her rise and stand before man and proclaim the majesty of your kingdom, on earth as it is in heaven. For Jesus you are the rock upon which your Church stands, though we are hurting because one of your children suffers, who represents many, hear the prayers of John Paul II, on the seat of Peter upon whom you built your church. Let this miracle be in our day Jesus as by a new Pentecost for the world.

In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
Through the intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos , St. Joseph, and all the angles and saints, oh Saviour save us,Amen.

WE THANK YOU LORD FOR GIVING HEAD TO OUR PRAYERS!
Posted By: Amadeus Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/24/05 09:29 PM
Dear Pani Rose:

Unfortunately, Dr. William Cheshire's affidavit was not given much weight by Judge Greer in dismissing earlier the DCF's latest case.

Let us continue to pray!

Amado frown
Posted By: Non_nomen Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/24/05 10:18 PM
And then there's this article, via the Corner: seems a Vermont farmer is being charged for letting his cows starve to death. [timesargus.com]

No comment. At all.
Posted By: Zenovia Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/25/05 02:16 AM
I do hope if Terri Shiavo dies, that the judge and her husband will be brought up on murder charges. The judge totally ignored the signed affidavits of two nurses that had been in charge of her.

One of them said, that she could say a few words, and that she would sometimes sit with them. She could even eat jello on her own. She also said, that whenever her husband would come, he would close the door and be with her for twenty minutes. After he left, she would be in a terrible condition.

The other thing that was said, was that she did not respond to men, only women. Who knows what she had gone through.

Also, only her husband said she wished to die. He had everything to gain...money etc. I believe he's the only one that said she was bulemic. It seems to me, that maybe he literally made her sick to her stomach.

The strange thing is that had she been married for twenty years or so, then it is understandable for a spouse to be responsible. But in a marriage as short as hers, and without children, how in the world can that man be responsible for her well being?

May the Lord have mercy on us all. What is this world coming to? Yesterday I listened to a judge from Harvard talk about it. To them it's simply a court case...but I could see that even he got upset when Terri's brother said that they can't see her unless they have permission from her husband.

Can anyone imagine not being able to see one's daughter unless her husband gives permission. And then we talk about the Muslim extremists.

Zenovia
Posted By: Gaudior Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/25/05 02:23 AM
Dear Zenovia,

You forgot that New-Age, spiritual psychopath, George Felos, who believes he can hear his comatose clients speak to him on a spiritual level about wanting to die.

Gaudior, in prayer for Terri and her family.
Posted By: Mr. Clean Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/25/05 02:26 AM
Divine Chastisement?

Somebody has it coming.

It is amazing that in a land as blessed as this one, so many are so willing to turn away from Him.
Posted By: byzanTN Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/25/05 03:01 AM
More prayers. I doubt that there is much anyone can do with Terri's husband. He sounds as if he has few redeeming qualities. But if Judge Greer is elected, he could be gotten off the bench. Maybe the good people of Florida will pursue that.
Posted By: harmon3110 Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/25/05 04:42 AM
Originally posted by djs:
Can you explain why it is that the forbidding of non-artifical means of hydration/nourishment is not considered abuse under Fl law?
starving a dog = a crime

starving a human being = legal

why?

because we increasingly treat human beings as things but we still recognize the dog as a living creature

--John
Posted By: tobit Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/25/05 10:29 AM
Remember you go to jail for harming bird eggs of wild birds in America like eagles or condors but you can kill an unborn baby.

So of course it makes sense if we warped the beginning of human life we would warp other parts of human life as well.

What is amazing is the hyprocrisy of liberals I mean you can't kill chickens or fur but hey kill a human their queit as a mouse. Talk about warped I like animals and all and don't want to see anything abused but gee I do see a difference between a human created in the image of God and a chicken. We live in a mad mad world.
Posted By: Mr. Clean Re: Terri Schiavo - 03/25/05 12:50 PM
To the radical left - a man is a rat is a dog is a bird. A brain-damaged woman is less than that.

To the "ideologically-pure" right (Bob Barr and certain others) -small government principles demand that the federal government do NOTHING.

I am disgusted with both of them.
© The Byzantine Forum