www.byzcath.org
Posted By: Alice What do your screen names mean? - 04/08/06 06:40 PM
There are so many posters here with unusual monikers/names.

I think that it would be wonderful if you could explain them to us, since they obviously hold much meaning to you. smile

Thanks! cool

In Christ,
Alice
Posted By: byzanTN Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/08/06 06:45 PM
byzanTN is easy. I am Byzantine and from Tennessee. No Byzantine plots or conspiracies here at all. wink
Posted By: Orthodox Pyrohy Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/08/06 06:47 PM
pyrohy=pierogi. Just like them, so picked the name. It could change at any given time however to something just as exciting wink
Posted By: Alice Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/08/06 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Pyrohy.:
pyrohy=pierogi. Just like them, so picked the name. It could change at any given time however to something just as exciting wink
Dear Pyrohy,

Obviously you are a man of discerning taste, who likes good food! smile
Maybe we will see a Greek named 'Souvlaki' here one day! wink biggrin wink

Alice smile
Posted By: Stephanos I Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/08/06 07:01 PM
Mine is a Greek name, although not Greek, meanin a crown.
Stephanos I
PS the I is not that I have any pretensions wink
Just happened that after the Crash of some years back it would not let me on again with the old screen name Stephanos so I had to re register with the I
BysanTN and here all this time I thought you were a Byzantine Teenager. Duh! Oh well you learn something new every day.
Posted By: Kadylo Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/08/06 08:11 PM
Kadylo is incense.

I like swinging it, and I have been known to make a holy fog in the Church on occasion.

Fr. Bo
Posted By: doulos Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/08/06 09:26 PM
well, now seems like a good time to explain that I chose doulos because St Paul calls himself the doulos, slave, of Christ. Only problem is, I am a woman, but I didn't want to use the feminine form because the term "doula" now means a woman who assists with child birth and new babies. As lovely as that sounds, that is not what I do, so I didn't want to make it sound like I did(I've got the honesty thing). So I chose a masculine name and accompanied it with a very feminine avatar of a mother and child=, because I'm a homeschooling mom and my kids and my role as a mom are very important to me. Confused yet?
Michele
Posted By: Alice Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/08/06 09:56 PM
Great responses so far!

I am still waiting for SultanofSuede and Slavipodvizhnik.... and other unusual or foreign names to explain! smile
Posted By: Slavipodvizhnik Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/08/06 10:09 PM
Slavipodvizhnik is Russian for poor, lousy, inept (Slavi) spiritual athlete/warrior(podvizhnik). A Podvig is a spiritual feat, or obedience. Basically, it is a fancy way to say that I am a sinner.

Alexandr
Posted By: harmon3110 Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/08/06 10:30 PM
I'm lousy at coming up with names for things, pets, etc. So, when I had to give a screen name, I looked around for inspiration. I noticed that the name of the speakers of my computer was "harman/kardon". So, I took "harman" and I changed it to "harmon" for harmony -- a thing which I long for and seek to help others with. As for "3110", it is the date I gave my life over to God: 31 October 2000.

-- harmon3110 (John)
Posted By: Penthaetria Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/09/06 02:26 AM
[Linked Image]

I've always translated it in my head as "She Who Mourns."
Posted By: Pavel Ivanovich Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/09/06 03:37 AM
We were sat around the table after lunch one Sunday and everyone said to the group what they name would be in Russian. A number of the older members of the congregation always used their tradtional names. My Christian names would be Pavel Ivanovich. My dad is a John/Ivan.

ICXC
NIKA
Posted By: Dr. Eric Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/09/06 02:59 PM
I think mine is self explanitory! biggrin wink cool
Posted By: Diak Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/09/06 03:14 PM
A "Diak" ("dyachok" in some Old Believer villages) was the village cantor, and in addition to his cantoring had other duties from teaching catechism to helping the priest clean out his barn and other chores.

I was a diak for years before being ordained subdeacon and later deacon.
FDD
Posted By: Penthaetria Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/09/06 03:24 PM
BTW, Alice... what does YOUR name mean? biggrin
Posted By: ebed melech Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/09/06 05:57 PM
"Caleum" is the Latin word for "heaven".

"JR" is shorthand for "son of", at least in my book.

ergo, "Son of Heaven"

Gordo (means fat in Spanish...or "phat" in the inner city!)
Posted By: Alice Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/09/06 07:08 PM
Alice is my name in English.

It is Aliki in Greek, which is short for my baptismal name, Aggeliki.

So, in short, Alice is just my name! smile

(Just don't call me 'Al' like a cousin of my husband's from Ohio does! LOL!
....and I don't reside in wonderland either!)
There's a tradition of Pseudos in patristic writing. Pseudo-Dionysius is the most famous. Ambrosiaster is a Pseudo-Ambrose. I believe there as a Pseudo-Augustine. I came across a commentary or two by a Pseuodo-Athanasius, and thought that it would make a good _pseudo_nym.

Not that my identity is really that secret.
Posted By: CyrilAlexandriaB Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/09/06 08:37 PM
CyrilAlexandriaB is not a very original screen name. When I was received by the Church as a catechumen in 2001, I took Cyril of Alexandria as my confirmation name.

The B comes from the letter of my company I was assigned to while in military college; Having used that screen name on other sites, I used it here as well.

Regards,

Cyril
Posted By: theophan Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/09/06 10:05 PM
Theophan is a name used in the Christian East that comes from two Greek roots: "theos" for God and "phan" for "show forth" (epiphany: the showing forth of God to the outside--the pagan astrologers; theophany--the showing forth of Christ as the Son of God in Whom the Father is well pleased). Theophan, literally--"he who shows forth God" (by what he does, who he is, how he speaks, who he is committed to); an icon mirror that we become in Baptism.

I guess it's what I've always thought we should all be doing after being Baptized.

I use the small initial letter because I don't think I do it all that well.
Posted By: Apotheoun Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/09/06 11:20 PM
Apotheoun means "to be divinized."
Posted By: Zenovia Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/10/06 01:21 AM
Zenovia is my original baptismal name in Greek. I had never used it before, so I finally decided to do so. Well, Zenobia could also be used, but there is a story about Zenobia the elephant...so that is a no, no!

I was always known by 'Jenny' in my family. It was short for Genevieve, a Frenchified version of Zenovia... yet on my birth certificate, the name was Jeannette. I think who ever filled it out, might have liked Jeannette McDonald..see I go way back.

So publicly I'm known as Jeannette, in the family as Jenny, and on this forum, Zenovia...a person of many names. (Not that anyone really cares).

Zenovia
Posted By: Logos - Alexis Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/10/06 03:38 AM
The Incarnate Logos is Christ, and I'm a teenager!

In less than a year I suppose I'll officially be in my 20s, at which time I guess I'll change my membername to "Tween of the Incarnate Logos." wink

My first name, Samuel, is a family name passed to me from my great-grandfather, grandfather, and uncle. Actually, their names are all "Salvatore," which means "[the] Savior" in Italian, in reference to Christ obviously, but in the English language that doesn't quite fly (would all all like to call me Savior? wink ), so Samuel seemed like the closest transliteration.

Garrett, my middle and "reference" name, is my mom's maiden name. Some of my grandparent's friends call me "Garrett Garrett" for that reason. LOL.

Logos Teen
Originally posted by Teen Of The Incarnate Logos:
The Incarnate Logos is Christ, and I'm a teenager!

In less than a year I suppose I'll officially be in my 20s, at which time I guess I'll change my membername to "Tween of the Incarnate Logos." wink

Logos Teen
Unless you've mastered the ability to roll back the years, you cannot become a "tween" (fka "pre-teen").

As to my screen name... yes I was ordained a Deacon alomost 3 years ago. Juan (anglicized to John) is my baptismal name. Montalvo is my surname.
Mine is pretty self evident, but I'm getting pretty bored with it, so you might see something completely different in the near future.

Plus it makes me look like I'm full Halychan shocked

And only one person (how ya doin' Kobzar biggrin ?) will understand the true meaning and appreciate the 86 years of trrrradition the new name shall convey muahahaha eek wink
Posted By: Otsheylnik Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/10/06 10:30 AM
Ned is my name. I guess I beleviev that my parents chose it, so I should use it. having said that, it is an abbreviation of Edward, whihc I use with most Slavs because they don't understand Ned, they think I'm refusing to tell them my name.

N
Posted By: PaulNik Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/10/06 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Alice:

Maybe we will see a Greek named 'Souvlaki' here one day! wink biggrin wink

Alice smile [/QB]
Maybe a Sue Vlaki or a Lou Kaniko biggrin

I lack a lot of imagination in this department: my first name is Paul and my last is Nikopoulos but everyone I meet calls me Nik confused
Posted By: Marian Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/10/06 11:45 AM
On 24th of December 1971, in the Church of Saint Three Ierarchs Basil, Gregor and John Chrysostom, I was baptized with the name of Marian.

In Christ, Marian +
Posted By: iconophile Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/10/06 04:58 PM
I assume everyone knows "Iconophile" means "lover of icons". I use it because my love of iconography brought me to the Byzantine tradition.
Originally, I posted using my Christian name, Daniel, but I was attacked when other posters [and even the Administrator!] mistook me for another Daniel, a convert to Orthodoxy, who posted pretty viscious anti-Catholic stuff, and changed it after being advised to do so by a moderator.
-Daniel, no not that Daniel
Posted By: domilsean Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/10/06 05:07 PM
domilsean... well, I signed up for like AOL in 1999 or so and I tried to use "milsean", which you'll note means something like "sweet stuff" here in Irish (Gaelic), but has similar roots in most Indo-European languages. Alas, "milsean" was taken. So I added "do" meaning like "2". Means nothing, really.
Posted By: Wolfgang Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/10/06 06:06 PM
Gruess Gott!
I've traveled to Germany several times over the years, including spending a summer with a family in Bavaria when I was in high school. I'm also in some German clubs in Ohio and like German folk dancing. I firmly believe that there's nothing like a polka to lift one's spirits. So, I guess I've become a lover of German things, and Wolfgang is a name that I like.
Frieden!
Posted By: Logos - Alexis Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/10/06 06:53 PM
Father Deacon,

I thought "tween" was slang for those in there 20s. It certainly would seem to make more phonetic sense (twenties/tween) than the other.

Logos Teen
Posted By: Tim Cuprisin Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/10/06 07:36 PM
Father Deacon,

I thought "tween" was slang for those in there 20s. It certainly would seem to make more phonetic sense (twenties/tween) than the other.

Logos Teen
The contemporary use of tween [dictionary.reference.com] is for the 8-12 age group.

--tim
Father Deacon,

Logos Teen
It's slang for those between middle childhood and the teenage years. Approximately 4th(?) grade and junior high.
Posted By: Jean Francois Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/10/06 07:48 PM
I'm a poet
but you don't know it ! wink

I.F.
Posted By: Pan Domanski Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/11/06 02:52 AM
Simple, "Pan" is "Mister" in Polish.
Posted By: Logos - Alexis Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/11/06 04:22 AM
Ok, ok, I'll change it "Twenty-Something of the Incarnate Logos." wink

Learn something new every day!

Logos Teen
Posted By: Logos - Alexis Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/11/06 04:30 AM
Ok, ok, I'll change it "Twenty-Something of the Incarnate Logos." wink

Learn something new every day!

Logos Teen
Posted By: Ung-Certez Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/11/06 10:31 AM
"Ung-Certez" is my Grandfather's (Dido) Rusyn village in Uzh Co., Transcarpathia. It was part of Austria-Hungary when he immigrated in 1908. Now, it is within the territory of the Ukrainian Republic, about 15 miles east of the Slovak Republic. The avatar photo is the Rusyn church in Ung-Certez.

Ungcsertezs
Posted By: harmon3110 Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/11/06 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Ung-Certez:
"Ung-Certez" is my Grandfather's (Dido) Rusyn village in Uzh Co., Transcarpathia. It was part of Austria-Hungary when he immigrated in 1908. Now, it is within the territory of the Ukrainian Republic, about 15 miles east of the Slovak Republic. The avatar photo is the Rusyn church in Ung-Certez.

Ungcsertezs
Cool. cool I had been wondering about what it meant. -- John
Posted By: Intrigued Latin Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/11/06 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Alice:
Originally posted by Pyrohy.:
[b] pyrohy=pierogi. Just like them, so picked the name. It could change at any given time however to something just as exciting
Dear Pyrohy,

Obviously you are a man of discerning taste, who likes good food!
Maybe we will see a Greek named 'Souvlaki' here one day! wink

Alice smile [/b]
If I was a Greek, my moniker would be "DOLMADAKIA" or "MELOMACARONA" biggrin

However, Intrigued Latin is quite self explanitory. I'm a Latin Catholic and I'm Intrigued by everything Eastern (Including my wife wink )

My avtar confirms that.
St. Andrew, the first Called. The First Bishop of Byzantium and Patron Saint of Scotland (My birthplace).

Andrew is also the name I took during my confirmation.

Brad
Posted By: Pavel Ivanovich Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/11/06 01:30 PM
You can tell we are deep in the Great Lent with all the talk of food. It's OK as it was byzantine foods. wink

I am thinking of nice chocolates as my reward for being so very very good.
:rolleyes:
ICXC
NIKA
Posted By: Our Lady's slave Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/11/06 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Pavel Ivanovich:
.........I am thinking of nice chocolates as my reward for being so very very good.
:rolleyes:
ICXC
NIKA
Um Pavel - we need that witnessed and a nice seal put on the witnessed copy before we accept that particular statement biggrin

Of course the seal will be made of good dark Choccie biggrin
Posted By: MizByz1974 Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/11/06 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Wolfgang:
Gruess Gott!
I've traveled to Germany several times over the years, including spending a summer with a family in Bavaria when I was in high school. I'm also in some German clubs in Ohio and like German folk dancing. I firmly believe that there's nothing like a polka to lift one's spirits. So, I guess I've become a lover of German things, and Wolfgang is a name that I like.
Frieden!
Guten tag, Wolfgang. smile

I loved Germany when I was there in '98... it's very pretty, and so CLEAN! Believe it or not, I loved the food too. Not very exciting, but it's hearty and tastes great.

Have you been to Rotenberg Aub Der Tauber? It's the only medieval walled city left in Europe, and it's so quaint... pretty cobblestone streets and little bakeries all over the place.

Couldn't really practice my German though, because almost all Germans nowadays speak fluent English. When I tried to ask a question in German, they'd answer me in English, ha. So I've picked up some German by listening to Rammstein...

God bless,

Karen
Posted By: MizByz1974 Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/11/06 02:52 PM
The "MizByz" part of my screenname I just came up with one day... supposed to be "Ms." and then "Byz", obviously. And I was born in 1974.
Posted By: MizByz1974 Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/11/06 02:55 PM
Logos Teen,

What will your screenname be when you hit your 60's-- "Senior of the Incarnate Logos"? wink

God bless,

Karen
Posted By: Memo Rodriguez Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/11/06 03:06 PM
Wonderful!

So much thought and insight in presenting yourselves to others.

As for myself, Memo is short for Guillermo in Spanish.

In my culture there is no concept of First, Middle and Last names. You have one or more given names and then usually two surnames, the first one from your father, the second one from your mother.

My full name is Federico Guillermo Rodriguez Hernandez.

I have always used my second given name because I like it better and because it is convenient to distinguish between my dad and myself.

My dad is Federico Rodriguez Garza, my mom is Edelmira Hernandez Mendez.

Take care and have a blessed Holy Week.

Shalom,
Memo
I am a Byzantine Catholic Deacon (Passaic Eparchy-Ruthenian) assigned to Holy Ghost B.C. Church in Jessup, Pa. Thus, the rather odd screen name.

Fr. Deacon Robert
Posted By: Benedictine Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/11/06 04:17 PM
Mine is pretty self-explanatory - I am a Benedictine monk.

I wanted to use my religious name ELIAS but every combination I could think of was taken already on this forum.

Guess I had no idea how popular my "seemingly unusual" (at least to my confreres, family, and friends) name is in the Byzantine world. smile
Posted By: MizByz1974 Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/11/06 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Benedictine:
Mine is pretty self-explanatory - I am a Benedictine monk.

I wanted to use my religious name ELIAS but every combination I could think of was taken already on this forum.

Guess I had no idea how popular my "seemingly unusual" (at least to my confreres, family, and friends) name is in the Byzantine world. smile
Brother Elias,

Glory to Jesus Christ!

I love St. Benedict. In fact, I happened to find a beautiful Byzantine-style goldleaf icon of him in a Greek gift shop.

I also have a copy of his Rule, which I will actually get around to reading one of these days...

God bless,

Karen
Posted By: Alice Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/11/06 08:11 PM
Thanks so much! smile

I think that this thread allowed us to all get to know each other better, don't you?

I still would like to know what a 'sultanofsuede' is, however!!! smile confused smile

Alice
Posted By: Alice Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/11/06 08:11 PM
Thanks so much! smile

I think that this thread allowed us to all get to know each other better, don't you?

I still would like to know what a 'sultanofsuede' is, however!!! smile confused smile

Alice
Posted By: Alice Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/11/06 08:12 PM
Thanks so much! smile

Alice
Posted By: Etnick Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/11/06 11:00 PM
Etnick... The way my grandfather used to say Ethnic...
Posted By: Pavel Ivanovich Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/11/06 11:10 PM
Oh so he was Irish biggrin

ICXC
NIKA
Posted By: Our Lady's slave Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/12/06 07:17 AM
Well I think mine is self explanatory wink

The Theotokos has given me so very very many things even before I came to Byzcath and that was Before The Crash [ so that dates me biggrin ]

My devotion to Her has stayed with me and I was Chrismated in that wonderful wee church in Lourdes which is Her's - the Church of the Dormition of the Mother of God
Posted By: Alice Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/12/06 12:33 PM
That is a beautiful post, Anhelyna. I love our Lady too, and may she bless you abundantly for your devotion to her and the pilgrimages you make to Lourdes...

(Do you feel her presence there?)

With love in Christ,
Alice
Posted By: Carole Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/14/06 04:29 PM
I think mine is French for "I have no imagination so I used my own boring old name".
Posted By: LaFamiliaFelix Re: What do your screen names mean? - 04/14/06 06:44 PM
The Felix Family. Contrary to popular belief, I am a woman.
Posted By: Irish Melkite Re: What do your screen names mean? - 08/17/06 08:48 AM
A fascinating thread to which, I note, my beloved brother Incognitus, did not contribute biggrin - I wonder why not confused

My own nick is self-explanatory, I think wink

Originally posted by LaFamiliaFelix:
The Felix Family. Contrary to popular belief, I am a woman.
Actually, I believed that of Jeni (that she was a he named Felix) for the longest time shocked

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: Sophia Wannabe Re: What do your screen names mean? - 08/17/06 02:08 PM
Sophia is Greek for Wisdom. I hope one day to be wise.
Posted By: Carson Daniel Re: What do your screen names mean? - 08/17/06 02:30 PM
Carson Daniel Lauffer Hmm...

Son of Car who was a fabulously wealthy king in ancient Persia.

Daniel a fierce warrior whose namesake became a prophet.

Lauffer one who "laufs" alot.

Although I could be confused about this whole thing.

CDL
Posted By: Sophia Wannabe Re: What do your screen names mean? - 08/17/06 02:51 PM
CLD said:

"Laufen" is German for "to run." Am I correct in assuming you're exceptionally physically fit? biggrin
Dear Friends,

My screen name suggests either someone who sees being "Orthodox" and "Catholic" as being complimentary - or else someone who is seriously confused.

The jury is still out on that one . . . wink

Alex
Posted By: Carson Daniel Re: What do your screen names mean? - 08/17/06 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Sophia Wannabe:
CLD said:

"Laufen" is German for "to run." Am I correct in assuming you're exceptionally physically fit? biggrin
I used to be fairly fit. My brother was the real runner until he died of a heart attack while running. It sort of cooled my passion for it though I like to view running competitions.

As you discerned, I hope, my note was just a bit of silliness.

Let's pray for each other that we will both gained wisdom as your name suggests.

CDL
© The Byzantine Forum