www.byzcath.org
Posted By: Paul B Recent visit to Slovakia - 07/02/07 01:36 AM
I recently visited Slovakia to visit the village of my paternal grandparents, Slovinky. I stayed a week in the village and spend a considerable amount of time talking to Father Vladimir Varga, the Greek Catholic priest.

I also visited the neighboring village of Helcmanovce and a short pilgrimage to Litmanova, where the Bohorodicen reportedly appeared to two Greek Catholic children.

For anyone who has questions I will do my best to answer them; please forgive me for any delays because I'm back to work now, my garden is full of weeds, and I'm trying to put together a presentation to my sister parish in Sykesville, which was founded by emigrants from the two villages.

I will begin by saying the the Divine Liturgy is celebrated in Slovak in Slovinky and Helcmanovce; in Church Slavonic in Litmanova.

Father Deacon Paul
Posted By: Ung-Certez Re: Recent visit to Slovakia - 07/02/07 01:44 AM
It is sad to hear that the Rusyn villages of Slovinky and Helcmanovce are Slovakized. At least Litmanova still has a Church Slavonic DL.

Unhcsertezs
Posted By: Pani Rose Re: Recent visit to Slovakia - 07/02/07 02:48 AM
Fr. Deacon Paul, maybe a slide show is in the works???

Inquiring minds want to know biggrin biggrin biggrin
Posted By: Ung-Certez Re: Recent visit to Slovakia - 07/02/07 11:55 AM
Doesn't Slovinky have a very traditional Orthodox parish now? I'm sure their liturgy is in Church Slavonic.

Ungcsertezs

Posted By: Paul B Re: Recent visit to Slovakia - 07/03/07 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by Pani Rose
Fr. Deacon Paul, maybe a slide show is in the works???

Inquiring minds want to know biggrin biggrin biggrin

I would need some instructions on how to do it. I have the pictures on CD.

Fr Deacon Paul
Posted By: Roman Re: Recent visit to Slovakia - 07/03/07 12:26 AM
If you have Windows XP, I beleive you should have Windows Movie Maker (try looking at Start/Programs/Accessories), which enables one to make a slideshow from images. You can then upload the slideshow to YouTube.
Posted By: Paul B Re: Recent visit to Slovakia - 07/03/07 02:11 AM
Originally Posted by Ung-Certez
Doesn't Slovinky have a very traditional Orthodox parish now? I'm sure their liturgy is in Church Slavonic.

Ungcsertezs

Even though I visited for a week it wasn't enough time. I didn't get time to visit the Orthodox parish. The Greek Catholic Church was more significant because of family history.

I understood that the Orthodox church was built in the 1990's, probably around the return of St. George Church to the Greek Catholics. The village seems split fairly even between the Greek Catholics and the Orthodox. The GC church was outlawed and its property given to the Orthodox for decades so it lost a lot of people.

There are plans to build a Roman Catholic Church in lower Slovinky, near Krompachy where there is already a RC Church.

I was there four days before I even met any of my relatives; the time just flew by and not having a readily available interpreter held things up a lot.
Posted By: Paul B Re: Recent visit to Slovakia - 07/03/07 02:22 AM
Originally Posted by Roman
If you have Windows XP, I beleive you should have Windows Movie Maker (try looking at Start/Programs/Accessories), which enables one to make a slideshow from images. You can then upload the slideshow to YouTube.

Thanks, Roman. I'll have to organize some pictures and have my grandson do the Utube part.
Posted By: Pani Rose Re: Recent visit to Slovakia - 07/03/07 02:48 AM
or just use photobucket or one of them, but YouTube would get a lot of viewings for sure.
Posted By: Paul B Re: Recent visit to Slovakia - 07/14/07 11:48 PM
I finally put together some pictures which is posted on the site below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXdMmOxL78Q

This is my first attempt at Movie maker so it is very unprofessional, but it does get the pictures on a public forum with some narration.

I still have some video; a friend is putting it on DVD so I hope to have more posted some time in the future.

Father Deacon Paul

Father Deacon Paul
Posted By: Pani Rose Re: Recent visit to Slovakia - 07/15/07 02:55 AM
Wow that was wonderful! Thank you for taking the time. Geesss there were so many things I found interesting. I will watch them again with Fr. Deacon Stan tomorrow. Thanks again for taking the time to share. Pani Rose
Posted By: Ung-Certez Re: Recent visit to Slovakia - 07/15/07 11:45 AM
Fr. Dn. Paul,

I like the traditional Ikonostas in the Slovinky church except the 'removed Deacon Doors". Why this has been occurring in the Greek Catholic Churches in Eastern Slovakia, I have no idea. It is also sad that they have abandoned Church Slavonic. frown

Ungcsertezs (I pray that I will visit again with my Rusyn relatives in Valkovce/Matovce soon, Daj Bozhe!)

Posted By: Zenovia Re: Recent visit to Slovakia - 07/15/07 05:40 PM
I finally put together some pictures which is posted on the site below:

Dear Father Deacon Paul,

Gosh how BEAUTIFUL! I'm such a romantic! blush

God Bless,

Zenovia
Posted By: tjm199 Re: Recent visit to Slovakia - 07/16/07 12:59 AM
You the man, Deaon! Give yourself a raise. Heck, double your salary. Tell the Eparch I said it was ok. We're tight! (Right!!!!)

Tim
Posted By: Paul B Re: Recent visit to Slovakia - 07/16/07 03:01 AM
Thanks for your kind comments.

I like the traditional Ikonostas in the Slovinky church except the 'removed Deacon Doors". Why this has been occurring in the Greek Catholic Churches in Eastern Slovakia, I have no idea.
Ung-Certez

That was a very keen observation about the lack of deacon doors.
Even the church in Litmanova, where the DL is in Church Slavonic, does not have deacon doors.

I can only guess that the deacon doors were removed because they only have "transitional" deacons. I don't expect that they will even address the diaconate until the seminary enrollment drops off to a much smaller number.

At some point soon they will have to be building and staffing many, many churches in the cities where there has not been a Greek Catholic presence, otherwise our church will die out as is threatened here in the USA. The Greek Catholic Church is a rural church, but as in the USA, the young educated people are moving to the cities. In Poprad, a large city, the Divine Liturgy is celebrated in a Roman Catholic Church. A church is being built, I believe. But one church for a city that size is not going to bring growth.

http://www.byzcath.org/forums/images/icons/default/grin.gif
grin Tim, double my salary?? I still couldn't buy a cup of coffee. http://www.byzcath.org/forums/images/icons/default/grin.gif
grin
Posted By: bergschlawiner Re: Recent visit to Slovakia - 07/16/07 05:44 PM
Having also visited Slovakia in 2005 and Presov-Stara Dubrava where my grandparents lived, no matter what anyone thinks about the Slovaks and "slovakization" I have to say I was impressed by the atmosphere of peace and order there. Nothing like in the Balkans or farther east. The Slovaks have created a good country comparable to Austria in the 1970's. God bless Slovakia and all its peoples!
Posted By: Ung-Certez Re: Recent visit to Slovakia - 07/17/07 12:18 AM
Bergschlawiner,

Is that the Dubrava east of Snina close to the Transcarpathian border?

Ungcsertezs
Posted By: Paul B Re: Recent visit to Slovakia - 07/17/07 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by bergschlawiner
Having also visited Slovakia in 2005 and Presov-Stara Dubrava where my grandparents lived, no matter what anyone thinks about the Slovaks and "slovakization" I have to say I was impressed by the atmosphere of peace and order there. Nothing like in the Balkans or farther east. The Slovaks have created a good country comparable to Austria in the 1970's. God bless Slovakia and all its peoples!

I'm not fimiliar with Austria in the 1970's, but I wholeheartedly agree with your opinion about the goodness of the people and Slovakia. I pray that our "Hollywood Culture" with which they are being attacked will be defeated.

The only bad impression which comes to mind are the overwhelmingly huge billboards posted very prominently advertising the aging rock group "Blank Sabbath" concert named "Heaven and Hell" at the US Steel Center in Kosice.

The Catholic churches were asking the faithful to condemn it.

The people in Slovinky took me in as family and were incredibly kind and giving.
Posted By: SouthernCross Re: Recent visit to Slovakia - 03/30/17 06:14 PM
My paternal grandparents also came from Slovinky. They immigrated between 1890-1905. Came thru Ellis Island, went to Pennsylvania for a while & ended up in Brookside Alabama. My grandfather was a Bobyarchick (Babjarcsik) and my grandmother was a Sulin.
Posted By: SouthernCross Re: Recent visit to Slovakia - 03/30/17 07:08 PM
OMG... I just watched this YouTube video that you made after a visit to Slovinky. (The village my grandparents immigrated from). At about the 40 second mark.... I was simply floored when I saw the gravestone of "Katarina Marasova rod: Babjarcikova". I was so shocked because my name is Bobyarchick [originally: Babjarcik]. This has to be my relative! We lost touch with Slovakia back in the early 1960's after my grandparents death and a fire that destroyed all contact information. (I was born in 1956)
I presume the "ova" appended to her maiden name was typical for indicating a female.
Thank you..Thank you..Thank you!
Posted By: SouthernCross Re: Recent visit to Slovakia - 03/30/17 07:56 PM
Pani....I too am from Birmingham....
Posted By: Fr. Al Re: Recent visit to Slovakia - 03/31/17 02:50 PM
Deacon Paul:
Sykesville, PA, did you say? The priest who is married to my late wife's niece, Fr. Stephan Meholick, has ties to Sykesville. I believe his mother was from there.
Fr. Stephan is one of about six Byzantine Rite seminarians who switched to the Orthodox church circa 1971. Ironically enough, he influenced many of us to switch to ROCOR, but he has remained OCA to this very day. He is a "hunky" who became a Russophile; hence the OCA Western America Diocese is a good fit.
I'm kind of headed in the other direction; becoming more hunky than the hunkies. I married a Carpatho-Rusyn woman from Eastern PA, I learned Slovak and even a little bit of Hungarian!
I love the Church Slavonic, but I like the fact that people here the services in a comprehensible language; Slovak, or in the case of the church I am assisting in, Ukrainian.
I anticipate transferring to a parish in the OCA Western PA Diocese in the near future, so perhaps we shall be neighbors!
Posted By: SouthernCross Re: Recent visit to Slovakia - 03/31/17 03:27 PM
OMG... I just watched this YouTube video that you made after a visit to Slovinky. (The village my grandparents immigrated from). At about the 40 second mark.... I was simply floored when I saw the gravestone of "Katarina Marasova rod: Babjarcikova". I was so shocked because my name is Bobyarchick [originally: Babjarcik]. This has to be my relative! We lost touch with Slovakia back in the early 1960's after my grandparents death and a fire that destroyed all contact information. (I was born in 1956)
I presume the "ova" appended to her maiden name was typical for indicating a female.
Posted By: Paul B Re: Recent visit to Slovakia - 04/14/17 03:28 PM
I haven't been here for a while. Father Al, yes I know Father Stephan. He was called "Buddy" by his family. His grandparents were from the Sykesville area but he was raised seven miles away, in DuBois. I was raised in Sykesville and just knew him a few years, shortly before and during his Cyril & Methodius seminary years. His cousin Mark was ordained a priest and serves in a Russian Orthodox parish here, but it in piactice it is Carpatho-Russian. They are a good family. If you are assigned in this area I would be delighted to meet you. pboboige@yahoo.com
Posted By: Paul B Re: Recent visit to Slovakia - 04/14/17 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by SouthernCross

You are most welcome. This particular tombstone was relevant to me because my aunt married a Maras (anglicized Morris). We also have some local Morris's whose ancestors came from Slovinky. You wouldn't know any Bobovich's (Bobovic) there, would you? That is my family name.
Posted By: Paul B Re: Recent visit to Slovakia - 04/14/17 03:34 PM
We had some Sulins here in our parish in Sykesville; there are some tombstones in the local cemetery. I'm guessing they were born in the teens or 20's, maybe earlier.
Posted By: SouthernCross Re: Recent visit to Slovakia - 10/11/17 03:04 PM
Sorry, I do not know any Bobovich's. I will check the cemetery. My Sulin's seem to have split from other families and never kept in touch for some reason. My branch settled in Brookside, AL & then went to Trail Run, OH in the 192's to join other Sulins. I have found a few I know are relatives but it is from my great-grandfather's level that the branch occurred, Still "looking".

I have seen Bobovich name in some Slovakia villages near Slovinky though.
Posted By: SouthernCross Re: Recent visit to Slovakia - 10/11/17 09:14 PM
I found this today while looking for my names.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GR73-GVQ?i=35&wc=9P3R-W36%3A107654201%2C109321301%2C109649302%2C109649303&cc=1554443

1829 Slovinky
© The Byzantine Forum