www.byzcath.org
Posted By: Otsheylnik Canon law hypothetical - 01/09/12 01:08 PM
A married Orthodox deacon or priest wants to become an Eastern Catholic, but his wants to remain Orthodox; how would Rome handle this?

Actually not quite hypothetical, because I know of one case where this has happened. The man is now apparently an EC priest, and as far as is known, his wife remains Orthodox.

I would have thought that given that CCEO as far as I know implies that clergy wives should be Catholic, this would be a problem.

Thoughts?
Posted By: sielos ilgesys Re: Canon law hypothetical - 01/09/12 01:55 PM
I doubt Roman church authorities would coerce the wife to become a Catholic and abandon Orthodoxy - at least not nowadays...such coercion would be a grossly immoral violation of her conscience.

I think the clergyman in question needs to have his wife's permission to take the step you mention.
Posted By: Fr. Deacon Lance Re: Canon law hypothetical - 01/10/12 03:11 AM
There is no such requirement in Canon Law. Ultimately it is up to the bishop and I doubt any Eastern Catholic bishop would have a problem with it.
Posted By: Chtec Re: Canon law hypothetical - 01/10/12 03:35 AM
I know of a case where an Orthodox priest became a priest in the Roman Catholic Church and his wife remained Orthodox. This does not seem to be an issue for the Romans.

Fr. David
© The Byzantine Forum