The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Posted GMT 6-22-2007 20:24:52

VATICAN CITY -- Here is the address Benedict XVI gave today when he received in audience Mar Dinkha IV, Catholicos patriarch of the Assyrian Church of the East, and his entourage.

Your Holiness,

I am pleased to welcome you to the Vatican, together with the Bishops and the priests who have accompanied you on this visit. My warm greetings extend to all the members of the Holy Synod, the clergy and the faithful of the Assyrian Church of the East. I pray -- in the words of the Apostle Saint Paul -- that "the Lord himself, who is our source of joy, may give you peace at all times and in every way" (2 Th 3:16).

On several occasions Your Holiness met with my beloved predecessor Pope John Paul II. Most significant was your visit in November 1994, when you came to Rome, accompanied by members of your Holy Synod, to sign a Common Declaration concerning Christology. This Declaration included the decision to establish a Joint Commission for Theological Dialogue between the Catholic Church and the Assyrian Church of the East. The Joint Commission has undertaken an important study of the sacramental life in our respective traditions and forged an agreement on the Anaphora of the Apostles Addai and Mari. I am most grateful for the results of this dialogue, which hold out the promise of further progress on other disputed questions. Indeed, these achievements deserve to be better known and appreciated, since they make possible various forms of pastoral cooperation between our two communities.

The Assyrian Church of the East is rooted in ancient lands whose names are associated with the history of God's saving plan for all mankind. At the time of the early Church, the Christians of these lands made a remarkable contribution to the spread of the Gospel, particularly through their missionary activity in the more remote areas of the East. Today, tragically, Christians in this region are suffering both materially and spiritually. Particularly in Iraq, the homeland of so many of the Assyrian faithful, Christian families and communities are feeling increasing pressure from insecurity, aggression and a sense of abandonment. Many of them see no other possibility than to leave the country and to seek a new future abroad. These difficulties are a source of great concern to me, and I wish to express my solidarity with the pastors and the faithful of the Christian communities who remain there, often at the price of heroic sacrifices. In these troubled areas the faithful, both Catholic and Assyrian, are called to work together. I hope and pray that they will find ever more effective ways to support and assist one another for the good of all.

As a result of successive waves of emigration, many Christians from the Eastern Churches are now living in the West. This new situation presents a variety of challenges to their Christian identity and their life as a community. At the same time, when Christians from the East and West live side by side, they have a precious opportunity to enrich one another and to understand more fully the catholicity of the Church, which, as a pilgrim in this world, lives, prays and bears witness to Christ in a variety of cultural, social and human contexts. With complete respect for each other's doctrinal and disciplinary traditions, Catholic and Assyrian Christians are called to reject antagonistic attitudes and polemical statements, to grow in understanding of the Christian faith which they share and to bear witness as brothers and sisters to Jesus Christ "the power of God and the wisdom of God" (1 Cor 1:24).

New hopes and possibilities sometimes awaken new fears, and this is also true with regard to ecumenical relations. Certain recent developments in the Assyrian Church of the East have created some obstacles to the promising work of the Joint Commission. It is to be hoped that the fruitful labour which the Commission has accomplished over the years can continue, while never losing sight of the ultimate goal of our common journey towards the re-establishment of full communion.

Working for Christian unity is, in fact, a duty born of our fidelity to Christ, the Shepherd of the Church, who gave his life "to gather into one the dispersed children of God" (Jn 11:51-52). However long and laborious the path towards unity may seem, we are asked by the Lord to join our hands and hearts, so that together we can bear clearer witness to him and better serve our brothers and sisters, particularly in the troubled regions of the East, where many of our faithful look to us, their Pastors, with hope and expectation.

With these sentiments, I once more thank Your Holiness for your presence here today and for your commitment to continuing along the path of dialogue and unity. May the Lord abundantly bless your ministry and sustain you and the faithful whom you serve with his gifts of wisdom, joy and peace.

A
A
I would be very interested in reading also Mar Dinkha address to the pope, if any

Certain recent developments in the Assyrian Church of the East have created some obstacles to the promising work of the Joint Commission: it is Soro issue?

E
E
Yes, this almost certainly refers to the controversy surrounding Mar Bawai Soro.

I too would certainly like to see Mar Dinkha's response!

If you'd like to see pictures, check out http://www.assyrianchurchnews.com/index.php?modul=news&iy=22
For an accompanying interview with Walter Card. Kasper, see http://www.zenit.org/article-19948?l=english

Peace,
Alex NvV

E
E
I was able to find an Assyrian response to Cardinal Kasper's interview with Zenit: http://69.73.140.219/~assy/Church_News_PDF_Files/KasperInterviewResponse.pdf
It sounds like the Assyrians are feeling a little sensitive...

I don't know whether the Vatican has responded to this letter (yet).

Peace,
Alex

J
J
What specifically was Bishop Soro's proposal that got him in trouble with the Assyrian Church of the East?

Joe

Nobody knows. The trouble surrounds two private personal letters Mar Bawai wrote Mar Dinkha. The Assyrian Synod suspended Mar Bawai, Mar Bawai ignored it, and a court case ensued. In court Mar Meelis testified that Mar Bawai committed no heresy, crime, or sin contrary to accusations he had made previously his only wrong doing was disobeying the patriarch. Mar Bawai contended to do so would violate canon law. When questioned whether canon law should be broke in order to obey the patriarch Mar Seelis answered he could not say. The court decided in Mar Bawai's favor, basically, and gave him control of his cathedral. Another parish was given to his opponents and a third must be shared between the two parties. It is not a full blown shism but many support Mar Bawai against the Synod.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
A
A
Originally Posted by East-Syrian-rite Mar Thoma Catholic
I was able to find an Assyrian response to Cardinal Kasper's interview with Zenit: http://69.73.140.219/~assy/Church_News_PDF_Files/KasperInterviewResponse.pdf
It sounds like the Assyrians are feeling a little sensitive...

I don't know whether the Vatican has responded to this letter (yet).
Thank you for you post.
You are right, the Assyrians are feeling a little sensitive, but it is important that the Catholic Church dont deep the already existing divisions in the Assyrian Church.
But if these are the only reasons of dis-agreement, we can actully hope in better future relashionships

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.