The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick, EasternChristian
5,999 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 309 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,398
Posts416,768
Members5,999
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#382529 07/04/12 09:18 AM
M
MengTzu Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi all,

My understanding is that the Eastern Catholic Churches use different Canons of Scriptures from the one used by Latin Catholics. Is my understanding correct? If so, what is the status of the books that are not in the Latin Canon?

R
R
It would be referred to as the "canon of Scripture" not canons. The word "canons" usually refers to the body of particular laws within the canon law of the Church.

Here is a short article on the Orthodox canon of Scripture:

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Holy_Scripture#The_Canon_of_Scripture

One could say that the Latin Church combines some of the separate books of the O.T. Septuagint canon into single books, but that is a bit of an oversimplication.

There is a chart included in the Wikipedia article on the Biblical Canon [en.wikipedia.org] which provides a good graphic analysis.

However, it does not specifically address an "Eastern Catholic" Canon of Scripture, which sometimes can be a mix of "Roman Catholic" and either "Greek Orthodox" or "Slavic Orthodox" as used in the chart, depending on the tradition.

My parish priest has written on Holy Scripture, yet he cringes every time I ask him something related to this subject.

Last edited by Curious Joe; 07/04/12 09:55 PM.

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.