The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick, EasternChristian
5,999 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 275 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,398
Posts416,768
Members5,999
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
NickMo Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hello all,

I'm a Latin rite Catholic who has greatly appreciated "breathing with both lungs." I attended a Ukrainian Byzantine high school and, since then, have greatly loved enriching my Latin life with occasional attendance at Divine Liturgy. I was greatly disappointed to learn that there are no Eastern parishes or missions in northern lower Michigan (especially northwestern lower Michigan). I know there had been a bi-ritual priest (of the then-Eparchy of Van Nuys) serving a Latin parish in Kalkaska, MI, (about an hour from where I live) as his parents live nearby. His eparch called him back to serve in California, however, and it appears that he will remain on the West Coast.

Regardless, he had offered Divine Liturgy on a regular basis to what I assume was a contingent of families of the various Eastern Catholic Churches. I was curious if anyone on this board knows anyone who might have been part of that group or any other Eastern Catholics in northern Michigan.

As I said, I would greatly like to have the opportunity to worship with my Eastern Catholic brothers and sisters and look into what would be necessary to found a mission. There are many Latin churches in this area with only occasional usage, and I would think our Bishop would be open to allowing a Byzantine mission usage of one of these for Liturgy.

I know the process would be long, complicated, etc., but I sort of want to get a feel for if my hope is totally ridiculous and/or unwarranted due to lack of potential congregants. I'm no millionaire or anything, so, sadly, I can't assist with the financial side of things. I am, however, willing to do whatever I can in good will, grunt work, etc., to see this happen.

Thanks!

Nick

John
John
Ni Nick!

It's great that you have an interest in the Byzantine Liturgy. I recommend that you contact the priest who used to occasionally serve there and ask him to put you in contact with some of the people who were regular participants in the occasional liturgies that he celebrated. They will have a good idea of whether there is real possibility of establishing a mission, and what work you could do to help. The alternative would be to contact the Eparchy and ask how you could help.

Prayers and best wishes for Holy Week and Pascha!

John

You are at somewhat of a disadvantage geographically since Grand Rapids, Flint, and Bay City are the most northern cities in the lower peninsula to have an Eastern Rite Parish. The next closest to you would probably be Sault Ste-Marie, Ontario where there is a Ukrainian Catholic parish. There is also Transfiguration Skete in Eagle River but that's quite a distance as well. That's the extent of my knowledge. You are always welcome at our parish in Grand Rapids if you come this way!

Christ is Risen!
Stefan-Ivan

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.