The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Seavila777, MZbor, Lisa Korovainytsia, Elizanna, slovakbaba227
5561 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (ast82401), 70 guests, and 356 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Portable Icon Screen
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,598
Posts411,028
Members5,561
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Question about Ruthenian Customs #418577
09/24/18 08:58 AM
09/24/18 08:58 AM
VIRGINIA
P
Ptaszek Offline OP
Ptaszek  Offline OP
P

VIRGINIA
Hello! I am a Roman Catholic attending a Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Church, and I am trying my best to just fit right on in an adopt the customs. However, I grew up attending SSPX Masses, and even though I am not sold on all that anymore, I just feel so uncomfortable going to Divine Liturgy without a head covering. Because no one who regularly goes there actually covers, I have just grabbed a little head-band thing because it makes me more comfortable. I guess its habit. We get visitors from other Byzantine parishes who DO wear a head-cover though, just not a Latin Mass mantilla. My question is, is there any history in the Ruthenian Byzantine Church of doing this or is my parish just not into it? It's a small one. No judgement here btw. It's just a lovely discipline, and I hate to feel out of sorts over it. Thanks for your help.

Re: Question about Ruthenian Customs [Re: Ptaszek] #418578
09/24/18 12:38 PM
09/24/18 12:38 PM
Hollidaysburg, PA
theophan Offline
theophan  Offline

Hollidaysburg, PA
I am trying my best to just fit right on in an adopt the customs. However,

Christ is in our midst!!

Ptaszek:

Herein in your own words is the problem. You say you are "trying to fit in . . . However"; so you're not really. When you enter a different parish with different customs, you leave behind your Latin trad mentality, customs, and whatever other baggage you are bringing. If it makes you feel any better, the Latin parish I grew up in stopped requiring women to cover their heads when they entered the parish church long about 1965. The only women who now wear any head covering at all are those who wear a winter hat because it's so cold outside.

It seems to me that you would welcome being in a new place with a clean slate; everything new, but still the same. The Divine Liturgy allows you to meet the Lord of your life in a different context, but it's the same Jesus Christ.

The fact that visiting Byzantines may wear head coverings is irrelevant IMHO. If it makes you happy, wear whatever you want, but don't take an attitude that others should follow your lead when you are the newbie in the family.

Bob

Re: Question about Ruthenian Customs [Re: Ptaszek] #418579
09/24/18 02:10 PM
09/24/18 02:10 PM
Virginia USA
I
Irish_Ruthenian Offline
Irish_Ruthenian  Offline
I

Virginia USA
There were a few women who regularly wore head coverings when I attended St. Ann's. There were also one or two who did this at Epiphany.

Do what is comfortable to you. No one will notice or care.

Re: Question about Ruthenian Customs [Re: theophan] #418580
09/24/18 04:14 PM
09/24/18 04:14 PM
VIRGINIA
P
Ptaszek Offline OP
Ptaszek  Offline OP
P

VIRGINIA
Hello, thanks for your response. I am very sorry I made the impression that I was adopting an attitude that others should follow my lead. These people have been going to this church for ages, since their college aged kids were babies and before. I would never presume. I was simply wondering if the Byzantine tradition had room for such a practice, since I honestly enjoy it. I have taken to wearing a little headband thing so as to not stand out in the Church precisely because I didn't want to accidentaly make a statement. Sorry I gave off the wrong impression. I've lurked on here quite a while, so I've come to respect your opinion.

God Bless.

Re: Question about Ruthenian Customs [Re: Irish_Ruthenian] #418581
09/24/18 04:20 PM
09/24/18 04:20 PM
VIRGINIA
P
Ptaszek Offline OP
Ptaszek  Offline OP
P

VIRGINIA
Hello and thank you for your response I'm starting to feel a little silly for asking this question now. Either way thanks. I've been a lurker for years, so getting a response from you all is like hearing from a celebrity. haha minor hyperbole there.

Re: Question about Ruthenian Customs [Re: theophan] #418588
09/27/18 03:10 PM
09/27/18 03:10 PM
USA
S
SwanOfEndlessTales Offline
SwanOfEndlessTales  Offline
S

USA
Originally Posted by theophan
I am trying my best to just fit right on in an adopt the customs. However,

Herein in your own words is the problem. You say you are "trying to fit in . . . However"; so you're not really... don't take an attitude that others should follow your lead when you are the newbie in the family.

I didn't get any sense of such an attitude in Ptaszek's post. It seems to me she just feels personally uncomfortable without something on her head.

There are a few older ladies at my ACROD parish that wear little lace things on their heads. Not quite mantillas... doilies, maybe? And occasionally ladies visiting from Eastern Europe will wear full headscarves. Yes, I think it's safe to say that some kind of head covering is traditional in Ruthenian churches, Catholic or Orthodox, even if the tradition is more or less in abeyance in the US. In the "old country" you will see many more women doing it but not 100% of them.

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2018. All rights reserved.