The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#419170 04/11/19 05:43 PM
T
OP Offline
T
this is how to pray the Lestovka i have found the info on the Russian internet and want to share it with you.

first three and last three steps: Alleluia Alleluia glory to thee God x3 (prostration)

the empty space after the first three and last three steps: Lord have mercy! (bow)

the steps: Lord Jesus Christ son of God have mercy on me a sinner!

1st big step: remember me Lord when you enter into your kingdom (prostration)

2nd big step; remember me vladyko when you enter into your kingdom (prostration)

3rd big step: remember me Holy One when you enter into your kingdom (prostration)

at the end of the Lestovka after all other prayers have been said

God be merciful to me a sinner! (bow)

you created me Lord have mercy on me! (bow)

it is impossible to count my sins but have mercy on me Lord and forgive me a sinner! (bow)

Attached Images
bcmun0jj7ar21.jpg (107.06 KB, 427 downloads)
1 member likes this: ServusMariæ
Actually, there is a small error here.

The space after the first and last three major steps or babochki of the lestovka is NOT for the Lord have mercy, but for the doxology "Glory be to the Father . . "

Coming to the end of the Lestovka, the final 17 steps (on which may also be said the Prayer of St Ephrem), one says the Glory be to the Father with the Sign of the Cross on the space, then on the three larger steps at the end, one says at each "Alleluia, Alleluia, Glory be to Thee, O God (Nikonians should say three Alleluias . . .). Then you pull down one of the seven movable pieces attached in between the flaps of the Lestovka to indicate that a hundred have been recited before moving up to the next three larger steps on each of which is said: Lord have mercy three times. Then on the space following, one completes the doxology with another Glory be to the Father betore beginning the next hundred or Sotnitsa.

On the three larger divider steps in the Lestovka proper, instead of the "Remember me . . ." prayer, many Old Believers simply say a Hail Mary "Rejoice Theotookos Virgin" ending with the sign of the Cross and a bow or prostration. The Old Believer ending to that troparion is the same as obtains in the Ukrainian Catholic Church: "For Thou has given birth to Christ the Saviour, the Redeemer of our souls."

One makes the Sign of the Cross with the (two) fingers at the forehead for "Christ," then the stomach for "the Saviour" then to the right shoulder for "the Redeemer" ending at the left shoulder for "of our souls" followed by the bow.

The Old Believer "Epitemia" or standard penance is actually composed of 900 Jesus Prayers or nine Lestovkas with 100 Prayers or one lestovka with the prayer to the Theotokos: "My Sovereign, Most Holy Theotokos, save me a sinner."

Invariably, all these prayers will involved making the Sgn of the Cross with a bow or prostration . . . When going to Confession in the Old Rite, the priest will simply say "Do an epitemia" and everyone will know what that is. If he feels that one isn't just right for the penitent, he could say "Do five epitemias" or do one every day for two weeks...

I find that making the Sign of the Cross at every Jesus prayer on the Lestovka brings the body into the act of prayer and the body prays too. A much more meaningful prayer experience. And when you stop, you want to take it up again!

Also, the Old Rite rule of Jesus prayers to replace the Horologion is this:

Matins = 1500

The hours = 1000,but 1500 during fasting periods.

Midnight hour = 600

Vespers = 600

Small and Intermediate compline = 400

Great compline = 700

The Old Rite has three types of Compline services where their Intermediate Compline is the usual one said throughout the year.

AND,the Old Rite Communion preparation is a week-long period of saying daily this rule:

Seven Lestovkas with the Jesus prayer.

One Lestovka with "Angel of Christ, my holy Guardian, save me your sinful servant."

One Lestovka with "O Holy, Great John, Prophet, Forerunner and Baptizer of Christ, pray unto God for me a sinner"

One Lestovka with "Most Holy Sovereign Theotokos, save me your sinful servant"

A good Lestovka will have the seven movable pieces in between the flaps to keep count of the seven Lestovkas with the Jesus Prayer.

One can also, of course, use the movable pieces to count the Lestovka rounds for the Divine Office and also for the Psalter where three Lestovka is for one Kathisma of the Psalter, up to 6,000 Prayers for the entire psalter.

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.