The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#419240 05/21/19 12:31 PM
S
OP Offline
S
A class I'm taking quoted Sirach 24:24-25 as: "I am the mother of fair love, and of fear, and of knowledge, and of holy hope. In me is all grace of the way and of the truth; in me is all hope of life and of virtue."

I wanted to mark these verses in my NAB St Joseph Edition, but they're not there. I did a search and found that, in the Douay-Rheims Bible, Sirach chapter 24 has 47 verses, and my NAB has only 31. Did someone do a really bad editing error of this chapter of Sirach for the NAB? Are there other errors anyone has noticed? Are the verses missing from other Catholic or Orthodox bibles?

ajk Offline
Not errors but it looks like translations are following different editions of the LXX. The NAB, RSV, NRSV and others appear to follow along the lines of Rahlfs' LXX, for instance; Brenton's LXX, the DR and, the Vulgates old to new, are other redactions.

Your verse follows (an LXX through) the Vulgate: Sirach 24:24 Ego mater pulchrae dilectionis et timoris et agnitionis et sanctae spei. 25 In me gratia omnis viae et veritatis, in me omnis spes vitae et virtutis.

Brenton (translation) has: Sirach 24:18 I am the mother of fair love, and fear, and knowledge, and holy hope: I therefore, being eternal, am given to all my children which are named of him.

Rahlfs edition does not have an equivalent verse here.

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.