The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Nathaniel Tapsak, LaudeturIesus, Alex Appachan, KruJuice, Eleuthería
5504 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 36 guests, and 272 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Portable Icon Screen
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,539
Posts410,671
Members5,504
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Parish Life & Evangelization
05/22/18 05:33 PM
My small Ruthenian parish was founded as a mission in the mid 1980s, largely because things were quite difficult in the local and surrounding Latin Rite (arch)dioceses -- particularly when it came to liturgical matters. This parish has always been greater than 80% "traditional" Latin Rite Catholics with few converts over the years. I've long about two things:

First, while these "traditional" Latin Rite Catholics essentially made the parish financially possible at the beginning, yet they have also seemingly held it back over the past 30+ years with their desire to remain resolutely isolated from the local Catholic community, and really, the local community at large. The vocal disdain for the Latin Rite of the Church has been most uncharitable for a great many years.

Second, the (arch)dioceses that surround the parish have improved immeasurably over the past 10+ years, largely due to the impact of new (arch)bishops, giving the typical parishioner a number of reverent choices including the weekly celebration of a Mass in the Extraordinary Form at a solid nearby parish. This improvement, while not universal, is quite common throughout the Latin Rite in the US today. In simplest terms, 1988 is a world away from 2018.

I'm curious if different parishes/eparchies have looked critically at these changes and their potential impact to EC Churches in the US? I'm curious if parishes/eparchies have taken concrete steps in response to the changing times? Thank you.
0 53 Read More
Church News
05/07/18 10:53 AM
Phil Battey | Special to the Catholic Herald

May 5, 1968. Protests in France sparked street battles in Paris between students and army troops. Communist units initiated Phase II of the Tet Offensive, attacking 119 targets in South Vietnam, including the capital Saigon. Bobby Goldboro’s Honey was Number 1 on Billboard’s Hot 100 record chart. And at Our Lady of the Annunciation Cathedral in West Roxbury, Mass., Bishop Justin Najmy ordained 25-year-old Deacon Joseph Francavilla as a priest in the Melkite Greek Catholic Church. As Father Francavilla put on his vestments for the first time as a priest, the congregation chanted again and again: “Axios” — Greek for “He is worthy.”

“It was a beautiful spring day in Boston, and you don’t get many of those there,” recalled Father Francavilla, who will celebrate his 50th anniversary as a priest next month. “I would spend the next four years assisting at Annunciation Cathedral and then come to Washington as pastor of the newly established Holy Transfiguration Church in McLean.” He has served at Holy Transfiguration, one of five Eastern Catholic parishes in the Washington area, for the past 47 years.

However, his being named pastor of Holy Transfiguration was not a happy occasion for Father Francavilla. He came to McLean to bury his friend and predecessor, the parish’s first pastor, Father Armond J. Jacopin, who had died suddenly.

The fledging parish had 30 families on its rolls and fewer than 100 people.

“The first years, I was the only clergy — no deacon, no reader,” said Father Francavilla. “To hold services, we had bought a former Methodist meeting house down Route 7 that had been built before the Civil War. But only nine years later we were able to build the beautiful temple we have at 8501 Lewinsville Rd., which has a hall and, now, an education wing.”

Click here to continue reading at Catholic Herald.com.
0 107 Read More
Faith & Theology
05/06/18 05:06 PM
In particular, what if the marriage was brief and produced no children?
0 87 Read More
Church News
05/05/18 03:00 PM
The Diocesan Assembly of the Armenian Apostolic Church, Eastern Diocese (USA) elected Hayr Surp Daniel as Prelate on May 4. Immediately a letter requesting confirmation by the Supreme Catholicos was sent to Holy Etchmiadzin. The Primate Elect is American born and completed a doctorate in liturgiology under Fr. Robert F. Taft, S.J. at the Pontificio Istituto Orientale in Rome. He had served as Dean of St. Nersess Seminary and director of the Armenian Information Center at St. Vartan's Cathedral. Many blessed years, O Master!
0 134 Read More
Town Hall
04/27/18 09:32 AM
Christ is risen! It is the dream of my life to make a pilgrimage and spend a few days in the monastery by St. Anthony's cave... I forget the name of the monastery, but the Australian convert and ascetic Fr. Lazarus El Anthony lives as a hermit there.

I'm not well-traveled. My first and last teip abroad was in '08. Other than looking at flight prices, I don't know where to begin. I don't know if I need a hotel and how much time I would need to allow for travel from thw city to monastery, or how to go about it. Not sure how much extra money to have on hand... not sure how far in advance to plan the trip or how to contact the monastery to begin with. Add to thst the fact that there could be a serious language barrier. You get the idea, I'm really not sure how to organize this.

Are there travel agencies that apecialize in religious pilgrimages? I feel that traveling in a group could be better than going solo. Could churches provide info? I appreciate any advice.

I want to go to Mt. Athos someday as well. May God grant it!
0 164 Read More
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2018. All rights reserved.