Newest Members
Babruska, SimpleMan, jhoneycutt, Loretta Branick, kebin
5064 Registered Users
Who's Online
6 registered (DogoCanario, latinkatolicky, crule, griego catolico, 2 invisible), 149 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Anne Melkite in North Hollywood, CA
St. Michael Byzantine Catholic Church, Allentown PA
Christmas at St. Vladimir UGCC of Scranton PA
St. Nicholas - Nanty Glo
Ukrainian Greek Catholic Cathedral - Philadelphia PA
Forum Stats
5064 Members
26 Forums
33275 Topics
402905 Posts

Max Online: 2716 @ 06/07/12 04:10 PM
Thirty-Fourth Sunday After Pentecost

February 1, 2015
Sunday of the Prodigal Son
Pre-Festive Day of the Feast of the Encounter

Luke 15:11-32 - Jesus said, "There was a man who had two sons; and the younger of them said to his father, `Father, give me the share of property that falls to me.' And he divided his living between them. Not many days later, the younger son gathered all he had and took his journey into a far country, and there he squandered his property in loose living. And when he had spent everything, a great famine arose in that country, and he began to be in want. So he went and joined himself to one of the citizens of that country, who sent him into his fields to feed swine. And he would gladly have fed on the pods that the swine ate; and no one gave him anything. But when he came to himself he said, `How many of my father's hired servants have bread enough and to spare, but I perish here with hunger! I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, "Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you; I am no longer worthy to be called your son; treat me as one of your hired servants."' And he arose and came to his father. But while he was yet at a distance, his father saw him and had compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him. And the son said to him, `Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you; I am no longer worthy to be called your son.' But the father said to his servants, `Bring quickly the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet; and bring the fatted calf and kill it, and let us eat and make merry; for this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.' And they began to make merry.

"Now his elder son was in the field; and as he came and drew near to the house, he heard music and dancing. And he called one of the servants and asked what this meant. And he said to him, `Your brother has come, and your father has killed the fatted calf, because he has received him safe and sound.' But he was angry and refused to go in. His father came out and entreated him, but he answered his father, `Lo, these many years I have served you, and I never disobeyed your command; yet you never gave me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends. But when this son of yours came, who has devoured your living with harlots, you killed for him the fatted calf!' And he said to him, `Son, you are always with me, and all that is mine is yours. It was fitting to make merry and be glad, for this your brother was dead, and is alive; he was lost, and is found.'" (RSV)

Kontakion - When I foolishly ran away from Your fatherly glory, * I squandered in evil deeds the riches you had given to me. * Wherefore, I bring to you the voice of the Prodigal: * “I have sinned before You, O compassionate Father! * Receive me repentant and make me as one of Your hired servants.” (Tone 3)

News & Events
  Forums Threads Posts Last Post
Church News (33 viewing)
Current news about the Christian East.
Moderator: Father Anthony
4770 59810
Re: Bishop Nicholas (Samra...
(griego catolico) - Today at 05:52 PM
Eparchial & Parish Events
Events relating to your local parish or eparchy (diocese) and provide feedback on how well they were received.
278 1088
Re: Indian catholics to re...
(Pani Rose) - 01/21/15 12:05 PM
Faith & Christian Life
Prayer (12 viewing)
Request prayer or tell another you are praying for them.
5484 46119
Re: For my diaconal studie...
(Administrator) - Yesterday at 10:36 AM
Faith & Theology (28 viewing)
Dogma, doctrine, Church History.
6144 83235
Re: Who is Bishop Hadrian ...
(Irish Melkite) - Yesterday at 05:19 PM
Scripture and Patristic Writings (2 viewing)
The Bible & the Church Fathers: witnesses of faith.
679 7662
Re: The Fire of Anger
(Thomas the Seeker) - 12/18/14 05:42 PM
The Christian East & West (29 viewing)
That they may all be one. (John 17:21)
2485 60073
Re: "Pope Francis has...
(Orthodox Catholic) - 01/19/15 10:15 PM
Parish Life & Evangelization (9 viewing)
Making Christ present in your local community.
Moderator: Father Anthony, Fr. Deacon Lance
Subforums: ByzanTEEN
1516 20135
Re: Julian calendar
(DMD) - 01/18/15 01:45 PM
Books (5 viewing)
Post or find a good read.
372 1811
Gay Bathhouses on Mt. Atho...
(Adam DeVille) - 01/26/15 02:40 PM
Mysteries: The Life of Worship
Vespers, Matins & the Divine Liturgy (6 viewing)
The history, development and details of the Liturgy.
649 15127
Re: Translation of the Div...
(Irish Melkite) - Yesterday at 03:26 PM
The Other Sacramental Mysteries
Sacraments and Sacramentals - vessels of the mystical participation in divine grace.
73 757
Re: Burying Wedding Crowns
(theophan) - 01/02/15 05:12 PM
Icons & Iconography (1 viewing)
The theology of icons, how icons are used in worship, and how iconographers go about creating them.
283 2028
Re: Icon Questions
(KeithS) - 01/19/15 12:26 PM
The Kliros (1 viewing)
A meeting place for those who chant the Liturgy.
264 2158
Cantor Institute classes f...
(ByzKat) - 12/03/14 11:05 PM
Old-Ritualists Forum (1 viewing)
The theology and liturgy of the Russian Old-Ritualists, both the Popovtsy and Bezpopovtsy.
275 1342
Re: Metropolitan Primate o...
(Orthodox Catholic) - 12/21/14 09:48 PM
General Discussions
Town Hall (27 viewing)
Discuss everything that doesn't fit into one of the above categories here.
8630 92765
Re: Well, I'm moving to Pi...
(DMD) - Today at 04:24 PM
Geek Hall (1 viewing)
The digital age: computers & technology.
77 619
Church bell app?
(Irish Melkite) - 08/28/14 11:33 PM
Photo Gallery (10 viewing)
Your photo-witness of the life of the Church.
469 2698
St. Anne Melkite in North ...
(Jeremiah) - 01/12/15 02:27 PM

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2015. All rights reserved.