Forums26
Topics35,254
Posts415,524
Members5,894
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Church News Jump to new posts
Re: UGCC seeks the right to serve in Pochayiv Lavra. griego catolico 01/29/23 01:04 AM
Thank you for your post!

You might be interested in reading the following two articles as they are about the printing press run by the Basilians during their time at the Pochayiv Lavra:

1) Почаївський монаст...ом українського руху. [radiosvoboda.org]

2) Як купець Михайло Д...ьку спадщину Почаєва. [inlviv.in.ua]
2 163 Read More
Town Hall Jump to new posts
Re: Robbery thwarted by Brave Nun, Buffalo NY! theophan 01/28/23 11:54 PM
Christ is in our midst!!

Christbearer25,

What does this thread have to do with Eastern Christianity?

Bob
3 76 Read More
Re: Robbery thwarted by Brave Nun, Buffalo NY! theophan 01/28/23 11:52 PM
Christ is in our midst!!

Alice,

You are correct. I deleted the huge video that was posted.

Bob
3 76 Read More
Re: Robbery thwarted by Brave Nun, Buffalo NY! Alice 01/26/23 07:54 PM
Thank you for this. Links to articles are allowed, but I dont think that direct videos are.
In Christ,
Alice
3 76 Read More
Re: UGCC seeks the right to serve in Pochayiv Lavra. Hutsul 01/26/23 06:04 PM
Your very interesting post prompted me to do a little research into the Pochayiv Lavra. With regard to your following quote:

"Researchers of Kyivan Christianity in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth say there was once an unwritten agreement between Orthodox Christians in the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra and Greek Catholics in the Pochayiv Lavra regarding the printing of liturgical books. What we published in Pochayiv was no longer published by the Orthodox in the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra. Why? Because we exchanged those books."

I quickly discovered the following:

Pochayiv Lavra had an indirect influence on Orthodoxy in the West. Archimandrite Vitaly (Maximenko), the director of the monastery’s printshop, evacuated the monastery’s printshop following the Russian Revolution. He then fled to Czechoslovakia, where he started a new brotherhood and resumed publishing. This new St. Job of Pochaev Brotherhood moved from Czechoslovakia to Germany and eventually America, where it joined the Holy Trinity Monastery near Jordanville, New York, with now-Archbishop Vitaly becoming its abbot. Holy Trinity Monastery thus carried on the publishing legacy of St. Job of Pochaev.[6]

And.....

In 1604, the monastic community was joined by Ivan Zalizo, a well-known champion of Eastern Orthodoxy in union with the then newly recognised Muscovite patriarchate Russian Orthodox Church and was a vocal critic of the Union of Brest. Formerly associated with the printing house of Prince Ostrogski, Zalizo established a press in Pochayiv in 1630, which supplied all of Galicia and Volhynia with Ruthenians Orthodox theological literature. The press continued to function until 1924, when it was taken first to Czechoslovakia, then to Munich, and then, in 1946, to the Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville, New York.

These entries are both from Wikopedia. The Jordanville connection is very interesting. How wonderful it would be to actually see this press. Thank you for a prompt to investigate an interesting facet of Ukrainian faith. I also hope that the Lavra is open to the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church for worship.
2 163 Read More
Re: Jihadist kills priest in Spanish Catholic Church Alice 01/26/23 05:09 PM
Lord have mercy!
1 59 Read More
Jihadist kills priest in Spanish Catholic Church Christbearer25 01/26/23 04:46 PM
https://catholicreview.org/machete-...st-and-other-faithful-in-southern-spain/

Please pray pray pray for killed priest, injured sacristan and the conversion of haters of our Christian faith. We are UNDER ATTACK!!!
1 59 Read More
Robbery thwarted by Brave Nun, Buffalo NY! Christbearer25 01/26/23 04:26 PM
https://nypost.com/2023/01/26/sister-mary-johnice-stops-robbery-at-response-to-love-center/

What a Brave and Heroic nun, may God bless her and may we have more courageous people like that!
3 76 Read More
UGCC seeks the right to serve in Pochayiv Lavra. griego catolico 01/26/23 04:56 AM
The Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church seeks the right to conduct services in the Pochayiv Lavra, which is leased by the UOC of the Moscow Patriarchate.
Head of the UGCC Sviatoslav Shevchuk said it in an interview with Ukrainian Pravda.

"We are also talking about the Pochayiv Lavra. We don't want to make any property claims today. Nevertheless, we say that this is a historically significant spiritual center of our Church.

Researchers of Kyivan Christianity in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth say there was once an unwritten agreement between Orthodox Christians in the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra and Greek Catholics in the Pochayiv Lavra regarding the printing of liturgical books. What we published in Pochayiv was no longer published by the Orthodox in the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra. Why? Because we exchanged those books.

The Pochayiv Lavra was a unique center of musical culture, spiritual, religious and international culture.

Obviously, when the Union was liquidated, the Russian tsars turned Pochayiv into a border outpost. And the Soviet authorities purposefully annexed the Pochayiv Lavra with its territory to the Ternopil region. It was done in order to destroy the Union in Halychyna.

Therefore, those who will decide who to give access to the opportunity to pray should take into account that the Pochayiv Lavra historically relates to our Church," he said.

The Primate of the UGCC stressed that so far, there have been no "specific steps" to change the status of the Pochayiv Lavra. He added that the UGCC does not question the state's ownership but wants to have access to this shrine.

Source. [risu.ua]

Personally, I hope the day comes very soon when this becomes a reality.
2 163 Read More
Re: Message from Patriarch Sviatoslav Fr. Deacon Lance 01/25/23 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by Edward H (Irish_Ruthenian)
Originally Posted by Fr. Deacon Lance
ROME – Major Archbishop Sviatoslav Shevchuk, head of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, has opposed a draft bill banning the activities of the Moscow Patriarchate in Ukraine, saying the measure is not only problematic in terms of religious freedom but would turn Russia’s supporters into martyrs.

Russia's supporters are already martyrs. Ever hear of the Dombas Region? For eight years prior to this war, Ukrainian military forces randomly bombed and killed civilians, a little fact that none of the Western media cared to get their knickers in a knot over. But after Putin finally had enough of broken treaties, killing of Russian people in Dombas, and other atrocities and began to fight back, then he's the bad guy and the Ukrainian government, every bit as corrupt as our own government in the USA, is suddenly the poor, picked on people.

Politics . . . sheeeesh! Stay out of it, Your Holiness.

You are so deluded and full of it is difficult to read anything you write anymore. You speak of conspiracies in the West yet eat up any pro-Russian drivel you can dig up.

With all due respect to your ordination as a deacon, you have drunk the Kool Aid from the West and NATO. A deacon, of all people, should be better than to believe lies and falsehoods. I gave a link above to actual journalists who are interviewing people who have "Boots on the Ground" in Ukraine. What they are saying is 180 degrees from what the Western press is telling gullible people like you. I cannot highly enough urge you to listen to alternative sources of investigative journalism instead of the lying scum that infest our Western press.

I am a caseworker and have interviewed face to face refugees fleeing from Putin’s war crimes. You have fallen down the rabbit-hole of the far right where white is black and good is evil.
11 525 Read More
Re: Message from Patriarch Sviatoslav Edward H (Irish_Ruthenian) 01/25/23 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Fr. Deacon Lance
ROME – Major Archbishop Sviatoslav Shevchuk, head of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, has opposed a draft bill banning the activities of the Moscow Patriarchate in Ukraine, saying the measure is not only problematic in terms of religious freedom but would turn Russia’s supporters into martyrs.

Russia's supporters are already martyrs. Ever hear of the Dombas Region? For eight years prior to this war, Ukrainian military forces randomly bombed and killed civilians, a little fact that none of the Western media cared to get their knickers in a knot over. But after Putin finally had enough of broken treaties, killing of Russian people in Dombas, and other atrocities and began to fight back, then he's the bad guy and the Ukrainian government, every bit as corrupt as our own government in the USA, is suddenly the poor, picked on people.

You are so deluded and full of it is difficult to read anything you write anymore. You speak of conspiracies in the West yet eat up any pro-Russian drivel you can dig up.

With all due respect to your ordination as a deacon, you have drunk the Kool Aid from the West and NATO. A deacon, of all people, should be better than to believe lies and falsehoods. I gave a link above to actual journalists who are interviewing people who have "Boots on the Ground" in Ukraine. What they are saying is 180 degrees from what the Western press is telling gullible people like you. I cannot highly enough urge you to listen to alternative sources of investigative journalism instead of the lying scum that infest our Western press.
11 525 Read More
Re: Message from Patriarch Sviatoslav Fr. Deacon Lance 01/25/23 09:55 PM

11 525 Read More
Scripture and Patristic Writings Jump to new posts
Orthodox books translated in English Ecaterina 01/24/23 08:29 PM
To whoever it may concern, an Orthodox ministry that translates Orthodox theological and prayer books in English.
https://www.oceanitissa.com.au/books
0 52 Read More
Re: Message from Patriarch Sviatoslav Utroque 01/24/23 01:12 AM
More important than all that is the fact that thugs, spured on by Russia's seazure of Crimea in 2014, ramsacked government buildings in these regions, threw out legitimate officials and proclaimed an indepedent state of their own. That this is the territory of a sovereign state made little difference to the Russian "volunteers" who crossed the border to aide their brothers in this illegitimate and totally militaristic effort to subvert Ukraine. Language? Did the Soviet Union ever try to supress Ukrainian? Please. The Russian line is, was and always has been a lie. 143 countries know this and so does the legitimate world press.
11 525 Read More
The Christian East & West Jump to new posts
Re: Which Rite am I? ajk 01/23/23 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Utroque
You, however, in virtue of your father's Church affilation were of his Church that uses the Byzantine rite, but had to go through the canonical procedure to change to another Church sui juris that uses the same rite. Did I get that right?
Yes, that's correct.
4 187 Read More
Re: Message from Patriarch Sviatoslav Hutsul 01/23/23 06:02 PM
In March, 2022, in the U.N., 141 countries voted to condemn Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
In October, 2022, 143 countries voted to condemn Russia's annexation of four Ukrainian territories as illegal.
Both votes represented unheard of majorities.

Pope Francis has condemned Russia's actions.
Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew has condemned Russia's actions.

The Free World is making every attempt to stop Russia's aggressions through military, economic and moral support.

Yet there are always some who would believe that the words and actions of Putin are righteous and that his totalitarian hold on the Russian press results in the truth.
11 525 Read More
Re: Resignations and Appointments Jan 23, 2023 Devin1890 01/23/23 05:58 PM
I am not in the Eparchy of Parma, but at least from the online view, Bishop Lach appeared to be an active and holy man. So, it appears Parma lost a good one (though anyone who actually lives in the Eparchy can correct me if I am wrong). But it makes sense that Bishop Lach would want to return home.

Unfortunately, there really aren't any native priests to spare to be consecrated to the Episcopate. Thinking outside the box, perhaps it would be best for the Archeparchy of Pittsburgh and the Eparchy of Parma to merge. Or perhaps more drastic, have the Archeparchy of Pittsburgh merge with Passaic and then have the eparchies of Parma and Phoenix merge. Certainly not ideal, but the Eparchy's are so large now as they are, Bishops really don't get to travel and visit and parishes that often anyway. And the total population of the all the eparchies combined is just shy of 100,000 which is less than many Roman Catholic diocese with just one Bishop and no auxiliary.

Again, ideally, we would have plenty of priests with some to spare to be consecrated as bishops, but this is not the case.
4 291 Read More
The Christian East & West Jump to new posts
Re: Which Rite am I? Utroque 01/23/23 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by ajk
Originally Posted by nick.maecenas
Hey all,
I have a question regarding my heritage and which Catholic Rite I technically belong to ...

Canon 29 (Eastern Code)
1. By virtue of baptism, a child who has not yet completed his fourteenth year of age is enrolled in: the Church sui iuris of the Catholic father; or the Church sui iuris of the mother if only the mother is Catholic or if both parents by agreement freely request it, with due regard for particular law established by the Apostolic See.

Originally Posted by Utroque
You are of the Rite into which you were baptized regardless of your age or the status of your parents. Of course, you can change rites with the help of a good parish priest of that rite who can take you through the canonical procedure, if you wish, and you are always free to worship anytime in any rite of the Catholic Church you choose.
Reading the Canon, my understanding:

A person is baptized into a Church not a Rite. (The word rite does not appear in the canon. A Rite is the form of worship used by a church.) If under 14 the Church is that of the father or the mother if the father is not Catholic.

Canonically, being under 14, you were enrolled at baptism in the Church (Diocese) to which your father was a member, that Diocese being a Church of the sui juris Roman Church (that uses mostly the Latin rite). Whoever may have baptized you, of whatever Church, parish or rite or even no religion at all, you would still be enrolled as just indicated.

To illustrate: My grandfather was Ukrainian Catholic from Galicia and, after emigrating, a member of the the Ukrainian Archeparchy of Philadelphia (that uses the Byzantine Rite). His son, my father, when baptize as a child became a member of that Church. I was baptized in a parish of the Roman Church where my family worshiped, my mother's parish. Eventually, my wife, children and I began worshiping in a parish of the Ruthenian Church of Passaic (NJ). Canonically we were all members of the Ukrainian Church of Philadelphia. When I was to be tonsured and ordained Reader in that Ruthenian Church, I had to be a member of the Church; a bishop can only ordain a member of his particular (not just sui iuris) Church. So I and my wife by choice and my children over 14 by choice wrote letters requesting a change of Church (not rite) from the Ukrainian Church of Philadelphia of the sui iuris Ukrainian Catholic Church (of Livi at the time I believe) to the Ruthenian sui iuris Metropolitan Church of Pittsburgh (aka BCC), Church of Passaic. Our children under 14 then also became members of the same BCC without needing to petition for a change of Church.

At least, that's how I think it worked -- not simple, but orderly.

You are correct; the language I used was inaccurate, and I apologize. Nevertheless, he is baptized into the Church sui juris of his father which was a Church of the Latin Rite. If he wishes to change Curches sui juris, he needs to go through the canonical procedure.

You, however, in virtue of your father's Church affilation were of his Church that uses the Byzantine rite, but had to go through the canonical procedure to change to another Church sui juris that uses the same rite. Did I get that right?
4 187 Read More
Re: Resignations and Appointments Jan 23, 2023 ajk 01/23/23 04:35 PM
Exactly. Like when it was just Pittsburgh and Passaic but now, in a sense, Passaic > Pittsburgh.
4 291 Read More
Re: Message from Patriarch Sviatoslav ajk 01/23/23 04:30 PM
Thanks for the reference; best to hear both sides.
11 525 Read More
Re: Message from Patriarch Sviatoslav Edward H (Irish_Ruthenian) 01/23/23 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by ajk

This sounded so glib and un-referenced for such a damning accusation that I looked for more information. Found another appraisal and context: How Russia Manipulates Data on Those Killed in the Armed Conflict in Eastern Ukraine [zaborona.com].

I see this as more Western BS from the lying media. If you want the other side of the story, from people with "boots on the ground" instead of an agenda, spend some time at this site on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=redacted+site

If this doesn't come out correctly, the site is "Redacted" and the journalists there are after truth . . . not agendas, especially by the One - Worldist elites. Honestly, anything that any Western mainstream press or anyone connected with them would say I almost always believe they are lying.
11 525 Read More
Re: Resignations and Appointments Jan 23, 2023 akemner 01/23/23 03:52 PM
He is still Apostolic Administrator in Toronto. So, his turf for the moment is like the Melkite Eparchy's save for a band from Western PA to Texas
4 291 Read More
Re: Resignations and Appointments Jan 23, 2023 ajk 01/23/23 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by akemner
Here it is from the Vatican: The Holy Father has appointed Bishop Milan Lach, S.J., as auxiliary bishop of the eparchy of Bratislava for Catholics of Byzantine Rite, transferring him from the office of bishop of the Ruthenian eparchy of Parma, United States of America, and assigning him the titular see of Ostracine.

and:

The Holy Father has appointed Bishop Kurt Burnette of the Ruthenian eparchy of Passaic as apostolic administrator sede vacante of the Ruthenian eparchy of Parma, United States of America, and s apostolic administrator sede vacante of the Holy Protection of Mary Byzantine Catholic eparchy of Phoenix, United States of America.

Resignations and Appointments [press.vatican.va]
And what about Canada? Eparchy of SS Cyril and Methodius of Toronto
4 291 Read More
Re: Message from Patriarch Sviatoslav ajk 01/23/23 03:38 PM

This sounded so glib and un-referenced for such a damning accusation that I looked for more information. Found another appraisal and context: How Russia Manipulates Data on Those Killed in the Armed Conflict in Eastern Ukraine [zaborona.com].
11 525 Read More
Resignations and Appointments Jan 23, 2023 akemner 01/23/23 03:32 PM
Here it is from the Vatican: The Holy Father has appointed Bishop Milan Lach, S.J., as auxiliary bishop of the eparchy of Bratislava for Catholics of Byzantine Rite, transferring him from the office of bishop of the Ruthenian eparchy of Parma, United States of America, and assigning him the titular see of Ostracine.

and:

The Holy Father has appointed Bishop Kurt Burnette of the Ruthenian eparchy of Passaic as apostolic administrator sede vacante of the Ruthenian eparchy of Parma, United States of America, and s apostolic administrator sede vacante of the Holy Protection of Mary Byzantine Catholic eparchy of Phoenix, United States of America.

Resignations and Appointments [press.vatican.va]
4 291 Read More
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2023 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.