The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 343 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,751
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
StMarkus.jpg
Z
Zan Offline OP
BANNED
St. Mark's Church UGCC Salzburg, Austria

from their website
6 Comments
O
O
Thank you for that Picture - it gives me an idea smile

Z
Zan Offline OP
BANNED
OP Offline
BANNED
Z
from their website http://members.eunet.at/grcath/

Building was a gift from the Archbishop

I offer my prayers for the parish, and its apostolate.

I have a minor question about the altar. Apparently, the main altar here has been unmodified, and is fixed to the "back wall". If memory serves, when Bendict XVI attended Divine Liturgy celebrated by Patriarch Bartholemew in Istanbul, that altar was perhaps a bit more "square" and free-standing? Are these styles both "traditional" in the East, or is one preferred over others?

Z
Zan Offline OP
BANNED
OP Offline
BANNED
Z
Your're correct about it being smaller, Eastern altars are free standing and size wise are designed to match the altar decribed in Levitucus (or Exodus, I forgot witch).

Dispite being desinged for the Latin rite, the altar in this former Roman Catholic church is still used.

J
J

Welcome to the Byzantine Catholic World of Western Austria!
You have probably never heard of a Ukrainian or Byzantine Catholic community in Western Austria before, and, indeed, we are a very small parish, although the territory is vast. The Roman Catholic Archbishop of Vienna, Cardinal Christoph Sch�nborn, is Ordinary for all Byzantine Catholics in Austria. We have one parish in Vienna, St. Barbara's, which is the oldest Ukrainian Greek Catholic Parish this side of the former Iron Curtain. It was established in 1783 by the Austrian Emperor Josef II.
Western Austria is actually an administrationally independent mission district of the Vienna parish. After WW II, there where over 10,000 Ukrainians in different camps around Salzburg. Few remain today, most moved on to North America, and many have been assimilated into the Roman Catholic Church. Most faithful are now refugees from Bosnia and recently from Ukraine. My books indicate 350 families spread out between the cities of Linz and Feldkirch, which are 450 km (280 miles) apart. My guess is at over 1000.
In the 50's, a Russian Catholic community existed here in Salzburg. With the repose of the priest, the community died, a victim of the infamous "Ostpolitik". Fr. Methodios of the Russian Catholic Church in the USA is writing a history of this Church and would appreciate any information on the community that existed in Salzburg.
Untill 1999 we did not have a church of our own and celebrated liturgies in the R.C. Church of the "Barmherzige Br�der" in Salzburg. As we were only permitted to use the church Sunday mornings and had no hall where we could meet, life was difficult. These circumstances were also the cause for the community almost to disappear completely.
In November 1999 the Archbishop of Salzburg gave us custody of a beautiful baroque church, St. Mark's, in the center of Salzburg. There we finally find all we need and have been able to install, with the financial help of, amongst others, the City of Salzburg, an Iconostas. Please include us in your prayers that God may fill His house!
We installed this homepage in 1996. English was chosen as main language for some very simple reasons: The idea of the page was (and is) to get ourselves known and to "collect" prayers for our very small community in Salzburg and Western Austria. Not all too many people had an internet connection in Austria or Germany at that time. Statistics now show that a very large portion of our visitors is German-speaking. We are therefore starting to "germanize" our page. I would like to offer the page in three languages (Ukrainian, German, English), yet this is somewhat difficult considerung our manpower and that the work is all voluntary. You will now find the menu in German. The contents will be kept, as ussual, in whatever language in which I receive my information. If a page appears in German, do not log out. Scroll down, and you may find an English translation.

For more information:

http://vi06n140.members.eunet.at/ugcc/index.php

I.F.

U
U
Cardinal Schonborn is from a very well-to-do Austrian aristocratic family. The Schonborn family once owned the largest manorial estate in Subcarpathian-Rus', including the walled castle and town of Mukachevo. the Schonborn family are no strangers to the Greek Catholic Eastern Slavs.

Ungcsertezs (whose Great-Grandparents were probably serfs on the Schonborn Estates) biggrin

Moderated by  Administrator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.