The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 284 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
3 Images
A
Uzhhorod - Prostopinije Conference in June 2006 - 1

My pictures from Uzhhorod - Prostopinije Conference in June 2006.

1st part.

andreios
Byzantine Catholics in Slovakia [grkat.nfo.sk]
10 Comments
A
OP Offline
A

G
G
Slava Isusu Khrestu

Hello
Question please?

What has happened to the deacons' doors??????

I have seen several pictures and they are always open or appear to be missing!!!!!!

Z Bohom
Kolya

A
OP Offline
A
I do not know, but I guess that they really miss. Latinization. :-( The same is in the Preshov cathedral.

andreios
www.grkat.nfo.sk [grkat.nfo.sk] - mp3, ikony, texty, f�rum...

U
U
Originally Posted by Garajotsi
Slava Isusu Khrestu

Hello
Question please?

I have seen several pictures and they are always open or appear to be missing!!!!!!

Z Bohom
Kolya

Yes, Apostolic Administrator Shashik must have brought this "nuance" of no Deacon Doors with him when he came from Eastern Slovakia. It seems that in the Prjashev Greek Catholic Eparchy, Deacon Doors are not allowed. I know the Kosice Exarchate Cathedral does have them, and all Orthodox Churches in Slovakia have them, but most Greek Catholic do not.

Ungcsertezs

Originally Posted by Ung-Certez
Originally Posted by Garajotsi
Slava Isusu Khrestu

Hello
Question please?

Z Bohom
Kolya

Yes, Apostolic Administrator Shashik must have brought this "nuance" of no Deacon Doors with him when he came from Eastern Slovakia. It seems that in the Prjashev Greek Catholic Eparchy, Deacon Doors are not allowed. I know the Kosice Exarchate Cathedral does have them, and all Orthodox Churches in Slovakia have them, but most Greek Catholic do not.

Ungcsertezs

I don't understand this about missing Deacon doors. It's part of the Iconostas. Leaving them off is like having an onion dome without a cross.

What's the rationale behind this? crazy

A
OP Offline
A
I am sure that the issue is much much older than the presence of vladyka Shashik. This bad custom is not new, reflects a latinization tendencies of the 20th century.

In the Preshov Cathedral Church there are not the deacon doors on the iconostasis. (I heard that they are deposited somewhere.)

andreios

Please double click on the picture to make it full size--it appears that the deacon's doors are there, only open. I have heard that there are quite a number of churches where they are missing, but that does not seem to be the case here.

At least they have screens, unlike many parishes here in the USA.

Православный мирян
Православный мирян
Yes, it does look like the deacon's doors are open, but there.

Timothy the catechumen

C
C
I, for one, am not convinced that the lack of deacon's doors is a deliberate Latinization.

One can find many churches in and around the Carpathian Mountains without deacon's doors. This especially seems true with regards to rural, wooden churches. In Romania, for example, you can find many small churches without deacon's doors; however, they have curtains in their stead. This may simply be a practical issue: the Altar areas in those village churches are usually pretty tiny!

Perhaps many villages in Carpatho-Rus had curtains behind the Royal Doors and in place of deacon's doors, but later removed the curtains, leaving the empty spaces. This practice may have crept into larger churches as a local "tradition."

Dave

U
U
Dave,

Most of the Rusyn Greek Catholic parishes originally had Deacon Doors. Just like what happened in the "Hard Coal" region of Eastern PA (bottom main icons and all doors removed) they simply had them removed.

Ungcsertezs

Moderated by  Administrator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.