The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,750
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
5 Images
Protection of the BVM, Bristol, PA

Church of the Protection of the BVM (commonly called St. Mary's) in Bristol, Pennslvania. This is a parish of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Archeparchy of Philadelphia. 1.)fa�ade; 2.)tetrapod, iconostas, & sanctuary; 3.)close up of sanctuary; 4.)parishioners saying the Holy Rosary; 5.)Stations of the Cross and stained-glass window.
10 Comments
F
F
Beautiful.
Thank you, Byzantophile!

S
S
Very pretty, but what's up with the recitation of the Rosary, and the Stations of the Cross?

OP Offline
The Ukrainian Greek Catholics have had these Western Devotions for quite sometime. While you won't see this at the Cathedral, most of the local parishes still retain them. I saw another post on here with photos from the UGC parish church in Centralia and it too had Stations of the Cross. Personally, I think a little cross-rite pollination is good, so long as it isn't in the liturgy AND traditional devotions aren't replaced.

G
Online Content
G
Beautiful!

Is that Saint Josaphat on the far right icon of the iconostasis?

The Rosary is unorthodox?

Z
Zan Offline
BANNED
BANNED
Z
Originally Posted by Stephanie Kotyuh
Very pretty, but what's up with the recitation of the Rosary, and the Stations of the Cross?

Relics of the latinization days. It would be very wrong to remove them from the church not only because of historical reasons but also because of attachtment from the older parishoners. Imagine if you are 80 years old and one of your most cherished memories is going with your mother to Stations of the Cross every Friday as a kid and next Sunday you go to church only to find the stations removed because the priest says "they are not part of our tradition".

I love the icon of the Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary, it is so beautiful! Not to go way off topic...but does anyone know where I can find some info on the history of this icon?

I would like to see an enlarged photo of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

OP Offline
I would like to see an enlarged photo of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

I did have to reduce the size of the photos since they exceeded the memory for download on here, but I still have the original full-size photos on my digital camera (I think). I can e-mail if you'd like, but did you mean the side shrine or the sanctuary? Send me a PM with your email.

One has to be pastorally sensitive to such things, but the restoration can definitely be made gently and peacefully.

In several of our UGCC parishes we have reintroduced the Little Hours before the Divine Liturgy (which are included in the newer Anthology. A single reader chants them, and those who still wish to quietly pray their rosary are not chastised for doing so. And it is a good way for the young people to start to learn about and be confident with singing/reading in church.

Moderated by  Administrator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.