The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
5 Images
F
Fr. Jon Offline OP
St. Mary Byzantine Catholic Church, Sheppton, PA

Here's some pictures of St. Mary Byzantine Catholic Church in Sheppton, PA.

Any guess who the (famous) pastor was in the 1940's???

I attended Lenten Devotions sponsored by the local Holy Name Societies held here back in late February. There was a GREAT group of parishioners; it was wonderful to speak with them both about the history of their little slice of heaven and on a personal basis.

The people are very proud of their church building, and sang with much gusto during the service. This particular Sunday was the one where the Cross was adorned with red flowers and venerated - I'm drawing a blank on that day's name.

Scroll under the individual photos for commentary.

Enjoy!
20 Comments
U
U
Was it a priest who was born in Donora PA then later became a bishop and loved to deconstruct ikonostases? I'll give you three guesses and the first two don't count! It's a shame, as these icons are done in a folk style that one would find in Subcarpathian iconography.

X.B.! B.B.!

Ung

D
D
The inscription translitterated is:

CHRAM PR. BC. PRISNODIVI MARII - what is a shorted sentence for CHRAM PRESVJATOJ BOHORODICI PRISNODIVI MARII - in english Church of the Most Holy Mother of God (Theotokos) Mary.

Hope it helps biggrin

Daniel CERNY

F
Fr. Jon Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Give that man a kewpie doll!

When I was speaking with some of the parishioners, who were MORE than welcoming, one lady mention that this priest "taught me catechism right in that corner back there" She said, "have you ever heard of him," to which I replied, "Of course, this is great history right here," and she responded, somewhat exasperated, "History!!! I lived it - that was my childhood!"

J
J
Interesting to me that our famous Donora-born prelate did not require the Donora parish to remove its iconostas in the 1950s. Go figure!

J
J
Does St. Mary's have a cemetary nearby. As I recall, the only two GC churches in Pennsylvania which have adjacent "chuchyards" (to use the Anglican term) are in Centralia and South Fork PA. The language inscriptions in the Centralia one are fascinating: Hungarian, Latin, Rusyn, Slavonic, Ukrainian, Slovak and perhaps more.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by John Schweich
Does St. Mary's have a cemetary nearby. As I recall, the only two GC churches in Pennsylvania which have adjacent "chuchyards" (to use the Anglican term) are in Centralia and South Fork PA. The language inscriptions in the Centralia one are fascinating: Hungarian, Latin, Rusyn, Slavonic, Ukrainian, Slovak and perhaps more.

John,

Yes, St Mary's has a cemetery. But, to your other comment, there are almost 4 dozen Ruthenian parishes in PA with cemeteries - and close to 20 Ukrainian parishes as well.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
This "deconstructed iconostasis" design would work wonderfully with the Syrian and Indian Oriental Orthodox/Catholic altar style. The altar is freestanding enough to cense around, has two "exits", has two side altars -- we'd just need to build a tiered thronos for candles and it'd work wonderfully!

K
K
Originally Posted by Michael_Thoma
This "deconstructed iconostasis" design would work wonderfully with the Syrian and Indian Oriental Orthodox/Catholic altar style. The altar is freestanding enough to cense around, has two "exits", has two side altars -- we'd just need to build a tiered thronos for candles and it'd work wonderfully!

The first thing I thought of was Hagia Sophia, I belive the Iconstas (btw don't Greeks call it "Iconostasis"?) there back in the day looked something similar with pillars and being simple and such. Regardless I like it a lot.

J
J
Well, many have cemeteries but very few right next to the church like St. Michael's in South Fork PA and St. Mary's in Centralia PA. Do you know of others which have immediately adjoining cemeteries?

D
D
It is such a joy to see these wonderful churches that the people constructed for their communities. Realizing that their resources were few, the fact that they dedicated so much to their parish church is just jaw-dropping awe!

What year was it that this jewel was built?

Dr John

Also, what year was the iconostas "reconfigured?"

J
J
I believe the iconostas was built in 1908. BTW, Forum readers who are also baseball fans should note that St. Mary's was the home parish of Jim Honochick a Baseball Hall of Fame member and National League umpire in the 1950s. He called Game 7 of the 1955 Wold Series when the Brooklyn Dodgers finally smote (smited?) the Satanic New York Yankees.

Originally Posted by John Schweich
I believe the iconostas was built in 1908. BTW, Forum readers who are also baseball fans should note that St. Mary's was the home parish of Jim Honochick a Baseball Hall of Fame member and National League umpire in the 1950s. He called Game 7 of the 1955 Wold Series when the Brooklyn Dodgers finally smote (smited?) the Satanic New York Yankees.

Thanks John, but I meant what year was it deconstructed into it's present form from having 4 main icons with three doors to having two icons and ostensibly one big opening.

J
J
Ya know, it looks a lot like the "reconfigured" iconscreen in St Mary's in nearby Hazleton.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Administrator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.