The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Original_ikonostas_from_Dormition_Church,_Windber_PA_(c.1914-c.1926)..jpg
U
Original ikonostas from Dormition Church, Windber PA

This is a photo of the current ikonostas that stands in St. Michael ACROD Church in Clymer PA. It was first erected in Dormition Church, Windber PA sometime brfore c.1926. The Windber parish moved into their newer and bigger church building in c.1926, and never installed this ikonostas in the second church santuary. It was then moved to St. Michael Church, Clymer PA, sometime after c.1926, before the schism that created the ACROD had occurred.
7 Comments
It looks like a modified Bishop Elko screen as seen in another parish.

https://www.byzcath.org/forums/ubbt...7/St.%20Mary%20Byzantine%20Catholic%20Ch

U
OP Offline
U
Actually, I don't know if the ikonostas was modified when it was installed in Windber or if it was modified when it was installed in Clymer. If you search back to the photo of Windber's first church that I posted in 2007, you can see the arches and the side altar Icon Shrine of St. Nicholas. It jutts out very far, close to those arches. When the church was constructed in c.1901, the sacristy was located directly behind the St. Nicholas Icon Shrine. Since this screen wasn't installed until c.1914, maybe the Deacon Doors were purposely put right next to the Royal Doors in order to make processions. I haven't completed enough of research to make a final conclusion.

When I first looked at the ikonostas, I first thought that it was "imported" from Eastern Slovakia where icon screens seem to be missing their Deacon Doors. Then Fr. Zak blew me away when he said it came from Windber's first church. Now for over 30 years I have heard all kinds of "theories" and stories about Dormition Church's first ikonostas. The standard "urban legend" had the Deacon Doors going to the ACROD church in Jenners or the OCA church in Boswell. No one ever said that the ikonostas (sans Deacon Doors) was intact and in the Clymer Church. I've seen photos of the Jenners Church's Deacon Doors and I'm not convinced that they are the disputed Deacon Doors. All I know is that my father (92 yrs old) made his First Confession and Solemn Communion in the first church in c.1925 in the old church, and he used to talk about the original ikonostas all the time. So the mystery continues...

U-C

ps the icons where re-done sometime between c.1926-c.1967

I have a practical question, how do you get through the Deacon Doors when the Royal Doors are opened?

U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by Erie Byz
I have a practical question, how do you get through the Deacon Doors when the Royal Doors are opened?

HHHMMM, good question. I haven't thought about it till now.

U-C

Ung--

I would assume that you have (read) "The Miners of Windber" by Mildred Beik? It looks fascinating. It gives some very interesting statistics about the immigrant make up of the town. Think I may get it.

John K

C
C
The parish website of St. Michael's in Clymer has a photo of the open Royal Doors:

http://www.stmichaelschurchclymer.org/socstm.html

So it looks like one has to do a little maneuvering to go through the North Door.

Dave

D
Jessup B.C. Deacon
Jessup B.C. Deacon
D
Originally Posted by Chtec
The parish website of St. Michael's in Clymer has a photo of the open Royal Doors:

http://www.stmichaelschurchclymer.org/socstm.html

So it looks like one has to do a little maneuvering to go through the North Door.

Dave

I wouldn't want to deal with that. I'm a klutz, as it is.

Dn. Robert

Moderated by  Administrator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.