The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Reznut Offline OP
Silent Member
OP Offline
Silent Member
R
I just caught the end with the Eastern Priest giving a blessing so I don't know which Church he is from but I knew from the habit that he is an Eastern Father. Also, the host Marcus Grodi mentioned that people in the Latin Church are mostly unaware of our Eastern Churches.

According to the EWTN website, his name is Fr. Terry Kraychuk.

Anyhow, it will repeat tomorrow (1am and 10am Eastern Time) as well as this weekend. Check the schedules for more info:

EWTN Programming Schedules [ewtn.com]

Cheers!

R
Reznut Offline OP
Silent Member
OP Offline
Silent Member
R
Also, if you don't have access to EWTN, go to:
Journey Home on EWTN [ewtn.com]

There is a list of upcoming guests and a link to listen to archived past episodes via Internet.

Some parishoners from your parish came to mine yesterday for our greek festival rez, there son goes to our parish now. Sorry for getting off topic.

In Christ
Nektarios

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Michelle,

He's a UGCC priest, from Mother of God Monastery, Hockley Heights, ON (Toronto Eparchy).

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Dear Friends,

I know him very well - an excellent man!

Alex

Yes, a true and holy monk. I and my family have been the blessed receivers of his hospitality in Orangeville many times. His story is remarkable, having been a biker, etc. The longest and most heartfelt confession I have ever made in my life was under his epitrachil.

The monastery is beautiful, a former Cistercian monastery on several hundred acres in the Caledon Hills.

May God grant him and the brethren of the Holy Theotokos Monastery peace, long life, and many blessed years.

If you want to see a picture of him in action, check out http://www.saintelias.com/Pascha/Pascha2004/TERRYBAN.jpg biggrin biggrin biggrin Who says monks don't have fun?

Dear Diak,

Question? Are you the one receiving the water blasts? biggrin

Almost forgot to answer the question. He was very good. I think Marcus was caught up in his conversion story and really had to try hard to get to the question and answer part. Maybe they will have him back a bit more. He was a concelebrant at Mass this morning, so I am assuming he will be on the Live Show this evening or tomorrow.

Pani Rose

So he left the Holy Eastern Orthodox Church of Jesus Christ to join the Ukrainian Catholics? biggrin wink

T
T
No,
He was born Ukrainian Eastern Rite Catholic, but as he said he frequented the Latin Rite. He was never part of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
There will be another brodcast of the Journey Home on Sat Night at 11 PM Eastern daylight savings time

I caught the whole broadcast.

Breathtaking. Awe-inspiring. What God can do when a soul is truly listening and receptive!!!

BOB

You can listen to the audio of the program at this link:

Fr Terry Kraychuk on the "Journey Home" program 5/17/04 [ewtn.com]

I watched it too! biggrin

Although, it wasn't captioned and I had to struggle to read his lips, which was covered by his long mustache (and beard). frown

It was sooooo COOL to see him wearing his hat (please tell me what that is called and how is it pronounced?).

Yes, I also saw him con-celebrating in the Roman Mass. It was awesome. I saw him partaking the Blood of Christ and drank it 3 times and then kissed the side of the chalice. OHHHH I wonder what the Latins thought of that! cool

Why was he on the show anyway if he's already a Catholic, since the show is about a "Journey Home". It's as if he fell away from the Church or something?

Thanks,

SPDundas
Deaf Byzantine

Shane, I think the point of his being on there was to show that conversion or "reversion" can happen to any of us who stray from the faith and don't practice it like we should. we truly do "come home" when we reconcile ourselves to God and the Church.

The hat is called a skufya (skouphos) or kamilavka depending on which hat you are talking about.

R
Reznut Offline OP
Silent Member
OP Offline
Silent Member
R
Originally posted by spdundas:
Yes, I also saw him con-celebrating in the Roman Mass. It was awesome. I saw him partaking the Blood of Christ and drank it 3 times and then kissed the side of the chalice. OHHHH I wonder what the Latins thought of that! cool

Why was he on the show anyway if he's already a Catholic, since the show is about a "Journey Home". It's as if he fell away from the Church or something?
Oh MAAANNNN! I'm sooo bummed that I missed him at the Mass. mad Ah well ...

Fr. Terry had fallen away from the Church in his youth and became a hard-living biker (sex, drugs, alcohol, etc.). He experienced a major conversion that led him to a protestant group then his love for our Lord in the Eucharist led him back to the Catholic Church.

It was such a wonderful and inspiring story that my mother wants to use it for when she gives talks at youth detention facilities. biggrin

Dear Friends,

This monastic priest attends most of the major ecclesial functions in Toronto which is where I get a chance to speak with him.

Our last conversation was about the Old Believers he visited while travelling in Ukraine.

As a former biker, he was still a Catholic, but more of a "liberal" one at that smile

So his was a real conversion after all . . . wink

Alex

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.