The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Atomic Parakeet 1, Anna777, HeraclitusTheObscu, Charbelknox, Andreas_Iacobus
5,828 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (longinus, 1 invisible), 62 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Byzantine Nebraska
Byzantine Nebraska
by orthodoxsinner2, December 11
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,136
Posts414,726
Members5,828
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Katie g Offline OP
OP Offline
I think it is time to hear what the teens have to say about the upcoming elections alothough we can't vote we should still be aware of the issues. one thing that is bothering me is the way both candidates use celebrities to get votes. why should we vote or think the way celebrities think? we have our own monds that God granted us to make good judgements with. i think alot of people think that just becuase someone a movie star is voting for a candidate then we should too. it is your own decision and we have to make it. any thoughts? this forum has been quiet for way too long.

-Katie g

I am going to be voting in this election.

Who I am going to vote for is a different question. To be very honest, I have big ethical hang-ups voting for Pres. Bush because of the evil, immoral, and utterly tragic war (Iraq, not the forgotten one in Afghanistan) he has brought to the table. Also, something about Dick Cheney seems evil

I am also having a hard time to vote for John Kerry because I feel he has a very indecisive and confusing voting record, and because he voted against the partial abortion ban. I know people have their different opinions on abortion, but partial abortion is down right evil.

Unfortunately, both canidates are lacking.

I will probably make my choice when it comes time to punch the card.

This is quite the question to ask ANY serious Catholic, especially this year. It seems to be a hinging belief among Catholics that Bush, because of his pro-life platform and rhetoric, is a better choice than Kerry, (whose answer during the last debate, though especially moving to me, yet that alone is not enough to swing my vote), who has been labeled a "helper of Satan".

But it seems odd that these Catholics who seem to hold life in such regard, disregard a tenet of Catholic belief, faith WITH works. One must not only SAY they believe a thing, but also act on it.

So far, Bush hasn't done a thing.

Nor, I believe, CAN he do a thing about it, it being abortion.

Now, that being said it seems odd to me that while the world seems able to accept the simplest forms of bacteria as life on Mars, but when a similar sort of cell resides in a woman's womb, then it doesn't count.

I think that the issue with these people isn't the fact they don't believe it isn't a life, but what such a life will do to THEM. It is selfishness, pure and simple.

These 'Catholics For a Free Choice' seem to be the worst of these in my eyes. Instead of modeling their behavior around their faith, they model their faith around their behavior. And if values change with behavior, than how can one conform to them? How can they hold any weight if they are to change anyway?

As for myself, I must hold Bush accountable for his disregard for the lives of those who AREN'T American. How does the fact that they have been repressed by the apartheid Israeli government make them evil? The only thing they don't have that we had in our 'renditions' of the revolutionary war, is a George Washington figure. They have the King of England (the U.S.) but no unity.

And America shall know fear if the Arabs unite.

Now, I don't sympathise with Bin Laden. Nor with Saddam Hussein. Bin Laden has taken virtually the same sort of stand that we have have, only he has arrayed himself against us. And Bin Laden is evil. So was (and is) Saddam Hussein, but I must say, though he did need deposing, take the Iraqi freedom out of it. If we were and are so eager to spread democracy, why didn't we raise a fuss about his gassing of the Kurds in the 80's? The time wasn't right.

We have created a spot where the germs of Arab unification shall grow, if the proper figure shows. And I pray that God shall shed his grace upon the WORLD, not just the U.S. (I despise patriotism, it is merely deposing God for a vague and hypocritcal ideal: love of country)

We sorely need it.

Torn betwixt body and soul; somewhere between heaven and earth; is where the penitent but chained sinner weeps. -Errai, "Our Friend Errai", Short story I have not finished.

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2022 (Forum 1998-2022). All rights reserved.