The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
I don't always like the Onion Dome's humour, but this explanation of the great schism was just too funny to keep to myself:

Professor Penguin Explains the Schism of 1054
Our Onion Dome intrepid editor recently had the comparable pleasure of attending a lecture given by Professer Yeraslav Penguin, St. Gregory Palamas Professor of Liturgical History at St. Toucan�s Orthodox Seminary and Roadside Icon Shoppe. What follows is a representative sample of the exact text of Professor Penguin�s lecture, more or less, followed by a brief selection of questions from the audience with the good Professor�s answers thereunto. Read more:

www.theoniondome.com [theoniondome.com]

smile

Holy bakhlaava!

That was greater-than-the-lesser-but-lesser-than-the-greater funny to pass up.

This is getting quite a charge out of people all over the net. I think this explanation makes about as much sense as the real thing, if you ask me. Then again, no one asked me. :p

CDL

Online Content
This reminds me of a solution I proposed a long time ago and which still seems to me to be the answer.

Once there was a papal election that took over two years to finish. The people finally tore the roof off to force the cardinals to finish the job.

I propose gathering all the heads of the Churches together into a meeting like the papal conclave, feed them, but allow no one out until the unity of the Church is accomplished. And, after two years, tear the roof off in the winter. biggrin

BOB

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
I've actually thought of an elaborate plot in kidnapping all the Patriarchs and putting them in a compound where they wouldn't get to leave until they agreed to Reunite.

Sounds like a movie plot.

M
M
I've actually thought of an elaborate plot in kidnapping all the Patriarchs and putting them in a compound where they wouldn't get to leave until they agreed to Reunite.

Sounds like a movie plot.

Dr Eric,

Have you ever read an account of the Council of Florence?

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
Dear Mark of Ephesus,

Is that what really happened? If that's so, then I'll have to read more about it. There's my Million Dollar Idea for a screenplay!

Dr. Eric

Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
I say, let's publish a book about this, and have THIS fiction become more popular than the Da Vinci Code. wink

It involves the Catholic Church, so that's sure to capture the attention of the silly masses... :rolleyes:

Won't it be funny to hear people eating it all up, and discussing and talking in hushed tones about this 'true' historical conspiratorial schism of the phyllo dough! LOL! biggrin

Alice

Z
Z
Dear Bob you said:

Once there was a papal election that took over two years to finish. The people finally tore the roof off to force the cardinals to finish the job.
I don't know if that's the one I read about, but in one papal election they not only had them locked up during the 'dying' season of August, when malaria was rampant, but allowed sewage to seep from the floor above. Too horrible to even conceive. eek eek eek

Zenovia

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
At one point the Conclave was open, and some of the Northern Cardinals took it upon themselves to make sure they didn't have to go back anytime soon. That Conclave lasted 2 years or more. After that, the rules were changed that the Cardinals had to be locked into the Sistine Chapel Complex.

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.