The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
O.K... I gotta share this one...

I'm sitting here during lunch reading yesterday's Chicago Tribune (seems I'm always a day behind!) when I come across this article about a female student who was expelled from a Chicago Roman Catholic School for "inappropriate behavior," apparently after exposing her chest to a male student...

Here's the kicker... she's 5 years old! The school is a preschool!

The gist of the article says that the girl, Maia, was working on a team project with a boy in her class to apparently collect eggs into a basket. Rather than help collect eggs, the boy allegedly (...allegedly?? Sheesh - I'm starting to sound like a lawyer! Mea culpa! wink ) ignored his teamwork duties and, instead, went to "tattle" on Maia for something or other, leaving her, literally, "holding the basket." Apparently out of frustration at his lack of assistance on the project and his "tattletale" nature, Maia lifted her shirt at the boy (my guess would be much the same as if she had stuck out her tongue at him).

The poor working mother of this 5-year-old is now faced with the task of finding somewhere for her daughter to finish the remaining three weeks of the preschool year - this, after forking out $8,000 a year for a Catholic education for her daughter.

The principal of the school was quoted as saying, "I have no comment."

Inappropriate behavior... c'mon, now... you gotta wonder if a 5-year-old even knows what the word "inappropriate" means. Sure, 5-years-old is certainly old enough to have an appreciation for what's proper and what's not, but gimmee a break!! Shouldn't the punishment fit the "crime?"

a pilgrim... who grows more and more concerned daily with the image our Holy Church presents to the world... frown

R
Silent Member
Silent Member
R
Unfortunately, this knee-jerk, overreaction is quite common these days everywhere, not just in this Roman Catholic Pre-school.

So ridiculous. mad

L
L
Everybody calm down.

There is probably a lot more to this story than was in one article.

Maybe the girl was a persistent behavior problem. Maybe she was on her last warning.

You never know.

My father and brother both work in schools--my father as an assistant principal at an inner-city HS in NYC, and my brother as a teacher at a middle school in VA. Granted 5 year olds are different--but I have heard enough stories from them about controversies, expulsions, etc., to know that there is ALWAYS the other side of the story on a seemingly "outrageous" expulsion or other disciplinary action.

Just my two cents.

In Christ,

LT

OP Offline
Thank you, LT, for serving as a calming, "voice of reason." I learned of this incident by reading of it in the newspaper - a medium which relies, to some degree, on sensationalism for its very existence. Surely what I read was the side of the story that was most apt to sell papers! I should have known better... DOH!!

That said, I think what I found most troubling in this story was the emphasis on the Catholic connection. Perhaps the paper recognized this connection as a "hot button," especially in today's climate! I obviously fell right into their trap!

Certainly a lesson for me here!

a pilgrim

This happened in a big city too. In small towns kids are allowed to be kids and everything is not so politically correct. However, I agree there maybe more to the story than these words.

Pani Rose

Dear Pani Rose,

I remember a few months ago you posted someone's memoirs of their childhood. Perhaps you could post it again. I think it would fit in well here.

Hritzko

Reason 109382098538947343

that my wife and I decided to homeschool.

John Gibson

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.