The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 326 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
H
Does the U.N. think Poland is still under Soviet Communism?
No, I don't think it does and that is exactly the point.

My guess is that the UN views Poland's staunch Catholic-ness as symbol of resistance against rule from Moscow or Berlin. Now that those threats are (more or less) gone, the UN, IMHO, thinks that Poland will go the way of the rest of Europe and secularize.

Only time will tell, I guess.

Yours,

hal

B
B
Originally posted by Amadeus:
Charles:

Alex seems to have no difficulty at all! biggrin

Amado
ROFL biggrin No delusions there, whatsoever! biggrin

JoeS Offline OP
OP Offline
I believe Poland has a strong Christian heritage and will NOT give into U.N. pressure to ease up on Abortion laws. I would be very surprised if this trend were reversed.

JoeS

I hope so. I agree with an earlier remark about abortion, in which a representative stated that children had no reason to be put to death, even when made through rape. The fault is not the child's.

It saddens me, but I have come to one conclusion: in order to beat abortion, we cannot legislate the act, nor can we legislate against it. Have we learned nothing from Prohibition? We (the gov't, or public school systems) must up education about sex, and promote abstinence, not contraceptives. And we must help alleviate the circumstances that contribute to abortion, financial above all, though a recent study stated that the group who had the most abortions during the year of...2003, I believe, were housewives who already had at least one child. One way to alleviate such circumstances would be to help bring about a efficient adoption system.

And how can we bring about such reform? We have to speak out. I would to like ask everyone who reads this post in the hopes of ending such barbaric practices as abortion to raise their voices. Especially those who voted for the President because he is pro-life (or so he says), but I am not against Kerry, or anybody's supporters helping out such an action.

Just a thought.

Torn betwixt body and soul; somewhere between heaven and earth; is where the penitent but chained sinner weeps. -Errai, "Our Friend Errai", Short story I have not finished.
B
B
Check this out. This Polish bishop has something valid to say, and he does it in very few words.
polish bishop [zenit.org]

Speaking of the virgins in the Muslim paradise, didn't I recently read that a scholar has come up with the theory that this is a mistranslation? It seems that the word that has been translated as "virgins" is not Arabic, but Sanskrit and refers to "grapes." In that part of the world, that would be a tremendous refreshment, according to the article. I don't know, but that might cool the ardor of those so willing to risk martyrdom.

B
B
Originally posted by theophan:
Speaking of the virgins in the Muslim paradise, didn't I recently read that a scholar has come up with the theory that this is a mistranslation? It seems that the word that has been translated as "virgins" is not Arabic, but Sanskrit and refers to "grapes." In that part of the world, that would be a tremendous refreshment, according to the article. I don't know, but that might cool the ardor of those so willing to risk martyrdom.
I hope it is grapes. I am not getting too old for those. wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.