The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 333 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Now these protesters know the meaning of Catholic Action!

biggrin wink :p Gordo

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/09/04/060904181311.agcq6zdu.html

Russian Orthodox protesters drive stake through Madonna photo

Around 100 Russian Orthodox believers protested in Moscow against a concert to be given by the US singer Madonna, symbolically driving a stake through a picture of the superstar.
Speaking to protesters, the head of a radical Orthodox group, Leonid Simonovich-Nikshich, declared that Madonna was "under the influence of the devil".

"We are proclaiming a new holy inquisition against those who struggle against God," said Simonovich-Nikshich, who heads the Union of Orthodox Gonfaloniers, a name that alludes to Medieval Italian republics.

Organisers earlier changed the date and location of Madonna's first Russian concert, part of her "Confessions" tour, citing security concerns.

The Moscow concert will now take place on September 12 at the Luzhniki Olympic complex.

The tour, which features a mock crucifixion scene, has also drawn protests elsewhere, including from the archbishop of Prague.

At the latest in what has been a series of protests in Moscow protesters symbolically drove a stake through a photograph of the singer and attempted to set light to it before police intervened.

Carrying effigies of Jesus and of Orthodox saints they prayed and chanted "Anathema on the organisers of abominations".

"We will do everything possible to prevent this concert going ahead," said Simonovich-Nikshich.

The Orthodox Church has urged Russians to boycott the concert, accusing Madonna of "exploiting Christian symbols", but all tickets were sold almost immediately after coming on sale.

L
L
Sounds like a bunch of short sighted, narrow minded, intolerant religious bigots. Just the kind of people I wish there were more of in this world.

just vulgarity matched with more vulgarity and throw in a bit of fascism

OP Offline
Come on, Brian. Everybody needs a little triumphalism in their life! There is, after all, so much at stake! biggrin wink :p

Here's one of my favorite quotes from St. King Louis of France:

The best response to a heretic is a sword through the belly.
Apart from the obvious hyperbole, I have to say it makes for a nice bumpersticker. wink

Gordo

Nothing they say or do could equal what this woman deserves......to be ignored.

Originally posted by ebed melech:
Come on, Brian. Everybody needs a little triumphalism in their life! There is, after all, so much at stake! biggrin wink :p

Gordo
with the emphasis on "stake" LOL I despair of Russia drifting into authoritarianism as it seems to now.

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
David in VA and Brian,

I'm having a really hard time telling you two apart! wink

H
Orthodox Catholic Toddler
Orthodox Catholic Toddler
H
It's the haircut

definitely!

Originally posted by Lawrence:
Sounds like a bunch of short sighted, narrow minded, intolerant religious bigots. Just the kind of people I wish there were more of in this world.
Would there be a show is no one attended???????

All the protest in the world would pale in comparison to just not going.

It always works.

OP Offline
It's sort of a play on "If a tree fell in the forest..."

"If Madonna stopped singing, would anybody care?"

The answer is decidedly in the negative.

I'd stake my reputation on it. wink

Gordo

a bit melodramatic, but I can appreciate the sentiments. a stake? what is she taking up now, Vampirism? I wouldn't be surprised. she changes spiritual disciplines like a bachelor changes his socks, every other day.nothing like mid life angst, huh Madonna?your singing can't be so bad that you will do anything to sell records, or is it? :rolleyes:
Much Love,
Jonn

L
L
Just ignore it and it will go away is a modernist approach that's just another way of saying I'm really worried I might offend someone.

not at all. Ignoring and NOT going will take away what Madonna is all about: "MONEY"

Ah yes, the stake. There is more to this story than meets the eye. To those familiar with Slavic folklore, there is much going on here. They are treating her as a "vukodlak", an "Upir Lichyj" one possesed by demons whose function is to lead good Christians into perdition. Very old Pan Slavic folklore from where vampire and werewolf legends originate. The stakes must be made from the willow from which the Palm Sunday willows are taken, and must be blessed by the priest. The evil one, contrary to popular belief, is not killed with the stake. The Upir is normally beheaded with the scythe used to harvest the grain for the Prosphora. The stakes were used later, when the remains were buried, placed through the body in the shape of the Cross, and going deeply into the earth, to ensure that the body is not used again by th eevil one. It was not uncommon for the body to be reinterred every few years so that fresh stakes could be placed as the old ones rotted.
Their actions , according to tradition, were not taken lightly. The guilty one must be confirmed by the priest to have no "humaness" left, and totally given over to the evil one, otherwise an exorcism would take place. I'd like to know who these protestors are. I am surprised to see such outside of the Carpathian Mountains or the Northern Taiga.

Alexandr

Originally posted by Slavipodvizhnik:
Ah yes, the stake. There is more to this story than meets the eye. To those familiar with Slavic folklore, there is much going on here. They are treating her as a "vukodlak", an "Upir Lichyj" one possesed by demons whose function is to lead good Christians into perdition. Very old Pan Slavic folklore from where vampire and werewolf legends originate. The stakes must be made from the willow from which the Palm Sunday willows are taken, and must be blessed by the priest. The evil one, contrary to popular belief, is not killed with the stake. The Upir is normally beheaded with the scythe used to harvest the grain for the Prosphora. The stakes were used later, when the remains were buried, placed through the body in the shape of the Cross, and going deeply into the earth, to ensure that the body is not used again by th eevil one. It was not uncommon for the body to be reinterred every few years so that fresh stakes could be placed as the old ones rotted.
Their actions , according to tradition, were not taken lightly. The guilty one must be confirmed by the priest to have no "humaness" left, and totally given over to the evil one, otherwise an exorcism would take place. I'd like to know who these protestors are. I am surprised to see such outside of the Carpathian Mountains or the Northern Taiga.

Alexandr
Very interesting, Alexandr! Thanks for the trivia! cool

It seems that interesting trivia and the name 'Alexander' (also Orthodox/Catholic's first name) go hand in hand! wink

Fondly,
Alice

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.