The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
OP Offline
E
Hi all,

I'm involved with a Catholic young adult group in NYC (Contemporary Roman Catholics, attached to Holy Trinity Parish -- see http://www.crcnyc.org/ for more info).

I recently suggested to one of the leaders of the group that I organize a sort of monthly pilgrimage to various Eastern Catholic Churches in the city, so that people in the group (most of whom know zero about Eastern Catholicism, I'm sure) will get a chance to experience the Christian East. So, once a month, we would go visit a different EC Church.

Does anyone here have suggestions for great EC Churches in the city -- from as many different ritual traditions as possible? (And if they have their liturgies in English, I'm sure the folks here would appreciate that.)

Thank you so much!

Peace,
Alex NvV

M
M
One, is St. Michael's on Mulberry St. Also, St. Mary's, Byzantine. Look at our directory for addresses and time of Liturgies.

A
A
Dear Alex:

Here's a link to the unofficial (some might have closed down) directory of Eastern Catholic Churches in the State of New York listed alphabetically by City/Town:

http://www.crosslink.net/~hrycak/ch_indx/us-ny.html

Here's to the success of your project!

Amado

J
J
Are you familiar with the young adult group at St Patrick's in NYC?

They have a talk scheduled in October on efforts by Pope Benedict to reunite the Orthodox and Catholic Churches and then a follow up visit to the Melkite Church of the Virgin Mary in Brooklyn to attend a Divine Liturgy.

I think your idea is great! I have often myself wanted to attend the liturgy in all of the different Catholic rites and hope to do so in due time.

I think St Michael's on Mulberry Street next to the Old St Patricks Cathedral would be great to attend liturgy in the Byzantine (Russian) Rite. If you take a very large group they might NOT all fit in though as the church is tiny, tiny.

Keep us posted on your efforts. I live in NJ but would love to go along if you make public a schedule.

John

P.S. By the way, is there a Chaldean/ Malabar Catholic church anywhere in NYC where one could attend a Catholic liturgy in this rite?

St. Michael's Russian Catholic parish is a must. They have a web site at http://stmichaelruscath.org/ Fr. John Soles would be happy to have any group you brought - they'll find room somehow. smile

Try St. George's on the Lower East Side.

It's a beautiful and very large church.

http://www.brama.com/stgeorge/

-uc

Dear UkrainianCatholic,

I love your new avatar!
The funny thing is that wherever a real cleric's photo is used as an avatar, I inadvertently think that the poster is that person!

So is that you? confused wink

Enquiring minds want to know! biggrin

(If not, I would love if posters would tell us whose photo they are posting, and what significance they have in their lives--maybe we can start a new thread on 'Avatars' later?)

In Christ,
Alice

It is Priest-Martyr Zinoviy Kovalyk, who was beatified by the late John Paul II.

It's gory, so if you don't have a strong stomach, don't read on.

From what I know, he was a Redemptorist who was a priest in the largely Orthodox Volyn region of Ukraine. He was working to reconcile Orthodox with Catholics in that area. He was known for being a good singer and a missionairy.

He was arrested by the Russians and was thrown into prison in L'viv. He gave many sermons and led prayers while in there.

He was crucified in a prison in L'viv, his stomach was cut open, and a dead fetus was put inside of him.

I chose him to be my avatar because of his example of faith until the very end, even in the satanic grip of the Russians.

-uc

M
M
He was crucified in a prison in L'viv, his stomach was cut open, and a dead fetus was put inside of him.
Lord Jesus Christ son of God have mercy upon me a sinner...

...what beasts we men are

"We love, because he first loved us"--1 John 4:19
T
T
Originally posted by ukrainiancatholic:
It is Priest-Martyr Zinoviy Kovalyk, who was beatified by the late John Paul II.
-uc
A brief biography can be found at:

http://yorktonredemptorists.com/MARTYRS.htm

Thank you UC for that explanation of your avatar photo.

May the Priest-Martyr Zinoviy Kovalyk intercede for us in Heaven. May his prayers help to unite Orthodox and Catholic in common love for our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

May our Lord have mercy on the perverse, angry, callous, animalistic, cold, and otherwise disgusting hearts of some men. frown

In Christ,
Alice

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.