The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#196078 06/28/06 03:29 PM
N
Nathan Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I have this crazy dream of moving to South America (even though I've never been there, and do not know any Spanish).

Does anyone know of any Eastern Catholic churches down there?

Hispanic Byzantine
Hispanic Byzantine
Glory to Jesus Christ!

Hi Nathan, well it depends to where in South America you are planning moving to. As far as I remember at this moment, there are some in Argentina and Venezuela (not sure how many) and of course Brazil. Maybe you can take a look to the web pages of their Episcopal Councils or the Latin American Episcopal Conference (www.celam.org [celam.org]).

God bless.

Bernardo

Nathan,

From experience Costa Rica is REAL nice. It is the most stable of the SA nations. The economy is pretty stable. Real Estate is still cheap.

It has a lot of great stuff to do:
1. Rain forest hiking
2. Fishing (best in the world)
3. Rafting
etc...

Look into Costa Rica it is beatiful!

One downside I don't think there are any ECCs. frown

Hi,

I have this crazy dream of moving to South America (even though I've never been there, and do not know any Spanish).

Does anyone know of any Eastern Catholic churches down there?
Yep, that depends on how South America and how Eastern and how Catholic churches are you looking for.

For Instance, in Mexico (not South America, I know), there is a strong presence of the Maronites and a smaller presence of Melkites. On the other hand, the Antiochian Orthodox are strong and there is an OCA Exarchate.

You can find Russian and Ukrainian groups in Argentina (both Orthodox and Catholic).

I know the headquarters of the Greek Orthodox jurisdiction for Central America is in Panama.

And we could go on.

Perhaps it'd be better to get more specifics on which particular country you are thinking of.

Spanish is NOT optional, though. Before you go, make sure you know at least how to order food, how to ask for directions to the toilet, all the curse words and that you understand the possible answers to these. biggrin

Shalom,
Memo

A
A
As Memo has stated, geographically speaking Mexico is part of North America (remember NAFTA?)!

Continuing his observation, Costa Rica belongs to Central America, which is geographically delimited to include the countries of Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and down to Panama. This is the "bridge" between North and South America!

South America "proper" starts with Colombia, and then Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, Argentina, Bolivia, Paraguay, Uruguay, Chile, Falkland Islands (UK), French Guiana (France), Guyana, South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands (UK), and Suriname.

All are hispanic (some countries are, of course, former colonies of Portugal, France and the UK) or Latin America, including Mexico, but with certain nuanced cultural differences. I think this was what the "Gringos" would call or refer to as "South of the border!" biggrin

But in speaking of the "Americas," this includes North (Canada, U.S.A, and Mexico), Central, and South America.

Take your pick!

A
A
(Double post deleted!)

N
Nathan Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thanks for the info. I was talking about South American (not north or central). Maybe Argentina?

Just a crazy dream though that gets me through the day of sitting at a cubicle.

There are:

Ukrainian
http://catedral-ucrania.la4.net
Melkite http://www.aica.org/aica/igl_arg/circuns_ecles/diocesis/melquita.htm
Maronite, and Armenian jurisdictions in Argentina.

Ukrainian, Melkite, and Maronite http://www.igrejamaronita.org.br
jurisdictions in Brazil.

Melkite
http://catedralsanjorge.tripod.com
and Syriac jurisdictions in Venezuela.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.