The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Regf2, SomeInquirer, Wee Shuggie, Bodhi Zaffa, anaxios2022
5,881 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (Fr. Deacon Lance), 354 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Byzantine Nebraska
Byzantine Nebraska
by orthodoxsinner2, December 11
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,219
Posts415,285
Members5,881
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#198113 03/26/04 02:16 PM
T
Trevor Offline OP
new
OP Offline
new
T
Hello All,
I have a favor to ask. I am designing a Byzantine cross, and I need to know what to put above the corpus. Should it be an INRI, or IHUI, or something else? What would be the correct inscription? I also have the Latin verion spelled out, "Isus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum"

My assumption would be that it would be ok to use either, since it was written in THREE languages, Hebrew, Latin, and Greek. The style of the cross that I am making has three bars, but the bottom bar is slanted with the left side tilting upward. Is there something that designates that it is ONLY Greek Orthodox, or ONLY Eastern Rite, or something else? I don't want to be wrong in what I'm making! :-) Any help that you could provide would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

Trevor

#198114 03/26/04 02:36 PM
Former
Former
Trevor, My humble suggestion is: THE KING OF GLORY If there is room. That's an even more ancient Eastern epitaph and more clearly expresses the reality of what is taking place.

In His Holy Name,
+Father Archimandrite Gregory

+Father Archimandrite Gregory, who asks for your holy prayers!
#198115 03/26/04 02:36 PM
T
T
Here's info on the three-barred cross:

http://www.oca.org/pages/orth_chri/Q-and-A_OLD/Three-Bar-Cross.html

--tim

#198116 03/26/04 02:55 PM
T
Trevor Offline OP
new
OP Offline
new
T
I don't have room for "The King of Glory" on the top of the cross, but thanks for the great idea. I do, however, have some "INRI" emblems. After reading Tim Cuprisin's link he posted, I see that it is probably ok for me to use one of them.

Thanks.

Any other input would be appreciated.

Trevor

#198117 03/26/04 03:24 PM
Dear Trevor,

God bless you in your important endeavour!

I'm looking at my collection of three-bar Crosses as I write this . . .

On the "Title" about Christ's Head the consensus here is that there is the "IHUI" in the Slavonic.

But these are in smaller letters. Around this, in large letters, is the Slavonic equivalent of "Lord, King of Glory" (There are no vowels, and each word has a ~ symbol above it to indicate that the words refer to God and should be read slowly and with reverence).

On either side of the main arms of the Cross are the letters "IC" and "XC" for "Jesus Christ" as you know and each of these two groups of two letters also has a ~ above them.

And the base of the Cross, near where the skull of Adam is, are the letters "NUKA" or "He conquers" with no ~ at all.

Every Cross of Christ, in the East, MUST be inscribed with IC XC by canonical regulation - to indicate that this is a depiction of Christ's Cross and that of no other.

Alex

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2022 (Forum 1998-2022). All rights reserved.