The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (San Nicolas), 314 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,751
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#209161 08/08/06 02:58 AM
J
Jim Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Has anyone begun thinking about having discussions from a cantor's viewpoint on how we are to rollout use of the new service book in the parish? There doesn't appear to be a lot happening outside of the Forum one way or the other so far. Might the Liturgical Commission and/or the Music Commission launch some form of catechesis well in advance of any book use, with a schedule of meetings for all eparchies? It might help minimize stress.

#209162 08/08/06 03:33 AM
J
Jim Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Funny, I began this thread in Kliros, and it got moved. Oh well. confused

#209163 08/08/06 03:45 AM
W
W
It is nice to know that even the moderators need moderating every once in a while. :p biggrin wink

(Just teasing you. I hope the other cantors come to your rescue soon. smile )

#209164 08/08/06 04:22 AM
L
L
I don't think "Catechesis" is the proper term in regards to the new music, although there is a religious dimension to the chant. Better to use the term "instruction". Catechesis deals with the "content" of the faith.

#209165 08/08/06 02:54 PM
J
Jim Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Lazareno, as a cantor I WILL get questions about ALL of it, not just the music. So, I'm gonna need to be ready to discuss the words AND the music. Nowadays, people still confuse the messenger with the message. Some things never seem to change. smile

#209166 08/08/06 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Jim:
Lazareno, as a cantor I WILL get questions about ALL of it, not just the music. So, I'm gonna need to be ready to discuss the words AND the music. Nowadays, people still confuse the messenger with the message. Some things never seem to change. smile
Dear Jim,

This is not aimed at you or your work in the Church. Not at all personal.

This is part of our historic problem as a Church. Far too often it is the Cantor or some other person, besides the priest, who gets asked first. Those questions should be referred to Father, and Father should have more than a dim clue about what is going on!!!!

That's why I keep hooting about the fact that now the central adiministration is passsing over the priests, and it will be some of the cantors and educators who will be prepared to answer questions in all this, and not the priests concerning this liturgy.

ALL of that should come to the pastor FIRST and HE should be the one to take it to his educators and cantors. That is if the parish even HAS a cantor or dedicated education coordinator.

It is a terrible muddle and has led to some fairly notable damgage in our internal governance, and opens the lines of authority up to great abuse.

Eli

#209167 08/08/06 03:15 PM
J
Jim Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Eli, thanks for your words. I've seen them in action when I was in an Orthodox parish, too.

There is also the matter of some people's being more careful about what they say to their priest than to someone else. People will ask me questions or complain to me RATHER THAN say something to Father. If I can help them, fine. If not, I refer they to Father.

#209168 08/08/06 03:55 PM
Eli, so true. The Priest is head of the parish and is the conduit to the people. How often this is overlooked by laity and bishops alike.

#209169 08/08/06 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Jim:
Eli, thanks for your words. I've seen them in action when I was in an Orthodox parish, too.

There is also the matter of some people's being more careful about what they say to their priest than to someone else. People will ask me questions or complain to me RATHER THAN say something to Father. If I can help them, fine. If not, I refer they to Father.
Oh yes and in Orthodoxy Matushka gets to carry some of the those burdens as well. It takes a certain wisdom to know what to answer and what to refer. You've seen that work by observation and in action.

But that's also supportive of my point. Bishops know how all this works too and so they should be eager to keep their priests 'in the loop' so to speak while also protecting them from unnecessary pressures.

Part of our problem, again, as a whole Church is the fact that people loose sight of the fact that Father is not just there to "do stuff". The parish priest has as much, if not more, personal need to have time to pray, read and feed his spiritual life as anyone else. But that we don't see as "work."

It is amazing to me that so much of what we'd call "priceless" in public is really valued as worthless privately, since who can name its price?

Eli

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.