The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 167 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
djs Offline
D
Yes, Father. In fact, IIRC I made that point in the context of the discussion of the Deacon's "Despota" at the beginning of the Liturgy.

OP Offline
Dear Jeff,

You write that you are glad to see the word "Orthodoxy" appear in our books; so am I. But if the approach to that word is going to be incremental, that presumes that there is already a new translation planned after the present new translation.

If we are capable of celebrating the Sunday of Orthodoxy, why can't we pray for all orthodox Christians? If the one is offensive, so would the other, and, conversely, if one is inoffensive, so is the other.

D
djs Offline
D
This is similar to my reasons for preferring "Master" for "Despota" in the liturgy. If we decide to use different words to translate the same word, we run the risk of losing parallels and threads of meaning in the original, such as the parallel between the priest as "despota" and Christ as "despota."
The relevant question is: are/were these parallels really there or is that an artifact or our translation and our distant perspective on the source language? You say that the parallel is between Christ and the Priest. Other learned posters strongly objected to making a parallel with one person of the Trinity. What is the right meaning and theology?

This makes me think of another example: You expressed a dissatifaction with "Holy Gifts to Holy People" preferring the less specific text that was open to broader interpretations. But are they actually there? The Greek and Slavonic or English never fired the neurons for me like the French or German:
"Les Choses Saintes aux saints"
"Das Heilige den Heiligen"
English picked up things from here and there; our talk of "holy" (things) is germanic, but of holy people - saints - is romance. Now I think: food that makes saints. Is this right?

Btw, I checked, and two of the three Bible translations approved for use in the BCC according to FD Lance use "Master" in the canticle, the other, "Lord".

D
djs Offline
D
that presumes that there is already a new translation planned after the present new translation.
Isn't this obvious. While I don't know if one is already "planned", one is certainly expected. Fr. David has explicitly said this. This is, of course, why incremental progress, tempered with an understanding of where we are, should not be taken as obstacle, but as a path, possibly the surest one, toward our goals. This process allows a gradual, corporate convergence to a "best" practices - which would probably see wide use across jurisdicitions. What are the other alternatives?

Administrator
Administrator
Originally posted by djs:
This makes me think of another example: You expressed a dissatifaction with "Holy Gifts to Holy People" preferring the less specific text that was open to broader interpretations. But are they actually there? The Greek and Slavonic or English never fired the neurons for me like the French or German:
"Les Choses Saintes aux saints"
"Das Heilige den Heiligen"
Just for a point of clarification, the French according to Diaconie Apostolique, 2000 Editions de Chevetogne, "La Divine Liturgie de Saint Jean Chrysostome" (which is the authoratative French translation for both the Orthodox and the Eastern Catholics) reads Aux saints les choses saintes!

As you can see the earlier version was corrected with 2000 translation. The earlier Swiss version has been withdrawn for various reasons including translation inaccuracies.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+ Who is fluent and serves in French also.

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
D
djs Offline
D
Just for completeness, here is the link I used.
http://www.pagesorthodoxes.net/liturgie/liturgie.htm
Here's one with the newer version.
http://www.assomptionorient.altervista.org/ortodoxie/la%20divine%20liturgie.htm
The reversed syntax now has the sound of a toast. cool
Father, do you hear different things when you serve in different languages in which you are fluent?

Administrator
Administrator
djs,

I checked the website that you cited, and the liturgy listed is the older rendition. Having served as recently as nine weeks ago both in Paris and throughout Belgium, the edition that I cited above is used almost exclusively with a few holdouts of only a few of the older priests.

I believe as far as the Orthodox in France go, the Standing Conference of Orthodox Bishops in France have promulgated the use of only one translation for francophone parishes. When I was about to use the older version one time at Saint Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Paris, the hierarch serving presented me with the newer version and asked that the older one not be used in the future. It is a shame though, for what is not shown on the website that you cited, is that parallel Greek and Slavonic was also provided to cut down on the need for multiple service books.

From what I understand from the fathers at Chevetogne, the same is being done in Eastern Catholic parishes in the francophone parishes throughout the Europe. This is being done for both the Orthodox and Eastern Catholics to cut back on the numerous efforts and difference that existed before this, besides the liturgical and linguistic inaccuracies and abbreviations.

As far as the use of of different renditions, the francophone parishes are less tolerant of variations and were the ones that requested a more accurate translation, culminating with 2000 release.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
D
djs Offline
D
the francophone parishes are less tolerant of variations and were the ones that requested a more accurate translation
Well, they are used to being governed by the Academie Francaise. We are not used to being governed at all.

Btw the website referred to a Monastery St. Michel. This is not at Mont St. Michel is it?

Administrator
Administrator
Originally posted by djs:
the francophone parishes are less tolerant of variations and were the ones that requested a more accurate translation
Well, they are used to being governed by the Academie Francaise. We are not used to being governed at all.

Btw the website referred to a Monastery St. Michel. This is not at Mont St. Michel is it?
AH! If it was only that simple, the need for this forum section would not be necessary. wink

No, I do not believe that this is the infamous Mont St. Michel Monastery. That monastery is exclusively Benedictine and does not have any Byzantine Chapels there. I have been to Mont St. Michel several times and stayed with the brotherhood there. The order that you gave in your second link is one I am totally unfamiliar with.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

OP Offline
Well, they are used to being governed by the Academie Francaise. We are not used to being governed at all.]
Isn't there some famous quote about organized religion? If not, there should be. Sometimes in conversation with people, they will tell me of their problems with organized religion. I reply that I would like to try an organized religion; is there any such thing?

Administrator
Administrator
Karl,

The Academie Francaise governs the use of the French language and its application. It has nothing to do with religion, that would be un-French wink .

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

F
F
Mon cher Pere Antoine!

Vive le roi chretien!

fraternellement dans le Seigneur Jesus-Christ,

Serge

The site for the second link Fr Anthony was from:

site de la famille des Augustins et des Oblates de l'Assomption

I thought it odd that it mentioned Plovdiv. So I consulted St Google and it is from an Augustinians of the Assumption Byz Catholic site.

D
djs Offline
D
cool Can you find a link to the official, Orthodox version?

Administrator
Administrator
djs,

Right now there is no official Orthodox version. The AEOF (the French Orthodox Bishops Council) is using the Chevetogne 2000 edition. I just emailed Chevetogne about why they do not have it online, and my guess is that their response will be the restrictive copyright they have on most of their materials.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.