The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
antv Offline OP
OP Offline
A
This morning, the Pope visited the Congregation for the Oriental Churches, and appointed Argentine Mons Leonardo Sandri (present Substitute of the Secretariat of State) Prefect of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches, in place of Card Daoud who resigned for age. (http://212.77.1.245/news_services/bulletin/notizia.php?lang=en&index=20374)

F
F
Let us hope that the new appointee is gifted linguisticly.

Fr Serge

A
A
As far as I know, he speaks Spanish (born in Buenos Aires, from a family with Italian roots), Italian, French and English.

He was Co-Consecrator of bishop J�n Babjak (Pre�ov) and Milan ��ik (Mukačevo).

andreios
Byzantine Catholics in Slovakia [grkat.nfo.sk]

U
U
Latin cleric?

Ungcsertezs

Originally Posted by Ung-Certez
Latin cleric?

Ungcsertezs

If you give that a longer thought, it might not be such a bad thing. Sometimes friends are kinder to friends than brothers are to brothers.

Better the Congregation not exist at all, but that's not for the immediate future I fear.

Mary

Last edited by Elijahmaria; 06/11/07 12:00 AM.
W
W
To be optimistic, we could hope that Pope Benedict wants the Congregation to become more hands-off and that is why he's putting a Latin in charge. It could be a small step toward the Oriental Congregation being a communication venue instead of a leadership one.

Or, it could be that this cleric has a much greater respect for the East than some of the possible eastern choices would and it is the better of two evils.

Originally Posted by Wondering
To be optimistic, we could hope that Pope Benedict wants the Congregation to become more hands-off and that is why he's putting a Latin in charge. It could be a small step toward the Oriental Congregation being a communication venue instead of a leadership one.

Or, it could be that this cleric has a much greater respect for the East than some of the possible eastern choices would and it is the better of two evils.

I thought that they traded off. One cycle a Latin prefect and an eastern secretary...next cycle an eastern prefect and a Latin secretary....??....I thought that was a general pattern...

But that does not mean that you are not correct. But it seems to me from way out here that the power politics of the Vatican are not to be constrained by one little old man in white, ya know.

Mary

Last edited by Elijahmaria; 06/11/07 12:57 AM.
F
F
Far and away the best of the Cardinals in charge of the Oriental Congregation from the time of its inception until today was Eugene Cardinal Tisserant, of holy memory. He was French, and belonged to the Latin Church. Memory Eternal!

Dear Friends,

Well, I personally met and chatted with Archbishop Leonardo Sandri when he was year for WYD 2002 at a luncheon the government hosted and where I was a liaison etc.

He is not only the consummate diplomat, but is EXTREMELY well read in all matters pertaining to the Eastern Churches. (He asked me why I'm not a priest and I told him because my wife said, "No!" smile ).

A very approachable, warm man.

This is apart from the issue of whether the Congregation of the Eastern Churches shouldn't be dissolved as a relic of a regrettable past . . .

Alex

A
A
Through ROACO and CNEWA alone, the Congregation has a reason for its being, even forever!

Unless, of course, the Eastern Catholic Churches on their own can come up with the same commitment, financially or otherwise.

Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
Dear Friends,

Well, I personally met and chatted with Archbishop Leonardo Sandri when he was year for WYD 2002 at a luncheon the government hosted and where I was a liaison etc.

He is not only the consummate diplomat, but is EXTREMELY well read in all matters pertaining to the Eastern Churches. (He asked me why I'm not a priest and I told him because my wife said, "No!" smile ).

A very approachable, warm man.

This is apart from the issue of whether the Congregation of the Eastern Churches shouldn't be dissolved as a relic of a regrettable past . . .

Alex

It's nice to put a "face" to the name, even if it is only second hand...my image, of course, being second hand...not the Archbishop's face.... crazy

Tnx Alex...

M.

Dear Mary,

My old boss was in charge of the event and I was privileged to sit with the Vatican's head of PR and some others. My boss, not known for his dedication to protocol, came over to me and said, "Alex, I've just got to introduce you to Leonardi!"

I thought, "Who is 'Leonardi?' Everyone in this room has a rank of one kind or another. . ."

When my boss nonchalantly introduced me to Archbishop Sandri, I fell to my knees, bowed and kissed his ring!

The Archbishop pulled out a signed picture of Pope John Paul II - he said, "Here, I brought three with me blessed by His Holiness to give to special individuals here - you are special enough!" smile

I still have that relic and am very blessed to have it.

Perhaps I mentioned that we are working to declare April 2nd "Pope John Paul II Day" in Ontario?

There is a petition out circulating and we've received anywhere from 500 - 1000 signatures daily during the past few weeks.

Well, today we broke a record - more than 5,000 signatures came in to declare Pope John Paul II Day by the Parliament of Ontario!

smile

Alex

Dear Amado,

Well, if you think the EC churches need help spending any money the Vatican might send their way . . . smile

Alex

Originally Posted by Elijahmaria
Originally Posted by Ung-Certez
Latin cleric?

Ungcsertezs

If you give that a longer thought, it might not be such a bad thing. Sometimes friends are kinder to friends than brothers are to brothers.

Better the Congregation not exist at all, but that's not for the immediate future I fear.

Mary

I agree. as long as this Roman is truly a friend, then we'll be okay. and I see too much nastiness between brothers and sisters here at times, all of whom claim to be EC. well pointed out, Mary.
Much Love,
Jonn

Dear Friends,

As someone once said, better God be our judge on the last day rather than our wife or mother (and, in my case, the Administrator!).

Alex

Last edited by Orthodox Catholic; 06/13/07 07:53 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.