The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
OP Offline
F
The Motu Proprio and the cover letter to the Bishops in favor of the 1962 Mass and accompanying service-books each contain several items which will be significant in the discussion of the RDL, but one leapt off the screen at me as I read the cover letter to the bishops a few minutes ago:

"What earlier generations held as sacred, remains sacred and great for us too, and it cannot be all of a sudden entirely forbidden or even considered harmful. It behooves all of us to preserve the riches which have developed in the Church�s faith and prayer, and to give them their proper place."

These words of the Holy Father surely strengthen the position of those who wish to maintain the Ruthenian Recension without the recent innovations. I quote Pope Benedict XVI (Joseph Ratzinger) a significant number of times in my book on the recasting of the Ruthenian Liturgy - not only is it a joy to see that the Author whom I have been quoting has not at all lost his touch, or the courage of his convictions; this has given his previous words additional force. Ad multos annos, Beatissime Pater!

Fr. Serge

Father Serge,

I believe that your application of this text is very much on target. It is amazing to me that what occurred on a larger scale with the implementation of the Ordo of Paul VI without due consideration for the sensibilities of the faithful has essentially been replicated on a smaller scale (with a few minor exceptions) within the Metropolia. Wisdom dictates that we should learn not only from our own mistakes but also from the mistakes of others. What lessons can be gleaned from 40 years of turmoil, which includes, as we see here, the loss of so many good, thoughtful and spiritual people?

Come let us reason! Wisdom! Let us attend!

Gordo

L
L
Father Serge wrote: "These words of the Holy Father surely strengthen the position of those who wish to maintain the Ruthenian Recension without the recent innovations."

Amin!

"What earlier generations held as sacred, remains sacred and great for us too, and it cannot be all of a sudden entirely forbidden or even considered harmful. It behooves all of us to preserve the riches which have developed in the Church�s faith and prayer, and to give them their proper place." Pope Benedict XVI, July 7, 2007.

O
O
I have a terrible feeling about this frown

Fr Serge quoted
"What earlier generations held as sacred, remains sacred and great for us too, and it cannot be all of a sudden entirely forbidden or even considered harmful. It behooves all of us to preserve the riches which have developed in the Church�s faith and prayer, and to give them their proper place."

This is all very well - but I fear that somone is going to say words to the effect of

" OK - but we Byzantines are not actually mentioned in so many words . Therefore it does not apply to us . "

That would bring things back to square one .

Sorry - but that's how I see it.

I hope the Pope includes us Byzantine Catholics in his letter. But will we have to wait 40 years for the Ruthenian recension to be allowed? Can we take his letter to mean that the Ruthenian recension, as celebrated by my fathers and grandfathers, cannot be forbidden? Can we say that the Ruthenian recension 'remains sacred and great for us too, and it cannot be all of a sudden entire forbidden or even considered harmful? Can those who prefer the Petras recension use it, and those who prefer the Ruthenian recension use that? Sure a letter from a Pope, trumps a letter from an Archbishop?

Nick

O
O
Of course it does -- but I fear that it's the wait and see thing all over again. mad

Some legalistic minds will not accept it unless it is there in black and white.

T
T
"Legalistic minds" is the big problem here. Anyone remember from just a few years ago when the sitting President of the United States responded to a question--"it depends on what your definition of 'is', is."

I'm afraid our friend from Glasgow is correct--we will have to wait and see. I'm going to be optimistic and say it will all work out for the best, and it won't take very long. But I'm also not going to hold my breath...

Tim

F
OP Offline
F
Don't have terrible feelings - militate!

Fr. Serge

T
T
Like the monks you mentioned on another thread?

Tim

#243509 07/07/07 07:57 PM
I have read, and re-read Pope Benedict�s letter to the bishops, and he speaks with compassion about those who were distressed at abuses done in the name of �renewal� of the Liturgy. He says, �And I have seen how arbitrary deformations of the liturgy caused deep pain to individuals totally rooted in the faith of the Church.� Am I wrong to think he understands our situation, confused and distressed by these horrible new books, which have abbreviated, corrupted and reshaped our beautiful Liturgy?

He also asks the bishops, �Let us generously open our hearts and make room for everything that the faith itself allows.�

Can we hope that Archbishop Schott will take these words to heart, and allow for the celebration of the Divine Liturgy according to the Ruthenian Recension, for those who are distressed by the Revision?

Nick

nicholas #243512 07/07/07 08:21 PM
U
U
I don't see that that happening. The die is casted. It would take a miracle to reverse the RDL. The only recourse is to find other sister churches that fully celebrate the Ruthenian Recension in full.

U

John
John
Originally Posted by Our Lady's slave
This is all very well - but I fear that somone is going to say words to the effect of

" OK - but we Byzantines are not actually mentioned in so many words . Therefore it does not apply to us . "

That would bring things back to square one .

Sorry - but that's how I see it.
Since the Apostolic Letter "Motu Proprio" of Pope Benedict XVI, "Summorum Pontificum" is specifically addressed to the use of the Roman Mass prior to 1970 it will not specifically apply to Ruthenian Byzantine Catholics in the United States. It does, however, give Ruthenians in America a principle to appeal to that Rome will very likely uphold. It is very likely that Rome will grant a request from a priest or congregation of the Ruthenian Church in the United States to pray the Byzantine Liturgy according to its full and official form given in the liturgical books that are normative for us when they have just set forth the principle that Roman Catholics may now pray an older form of the Roman Mass (without special permission from a bishop). [We are not asking for a new principle, just the application of a now promulgated principle to our situation.]

Look at it this way. What will the Orthodox think (and how will it affect ecumenical relations) if they were to see Rome granting blanket permission for normal usage of an older form of the Latin Mass while denying Byzantine-Ruthenian Catholics in the United States permission to celebrate the Byzantine Divine Liturgy in the form that is officially normative for the Ruthenian recension, and as is celebrated on a daily basis in Orthodox parishes everywhere?

But it will take at least one courageous, patient and persistent priest and congregation to write the letters requesting permission to the local bishop, metropolitan, Pro-Nuncio of the Oriental Congregation and eventually (if necessary) Pope Benedict XVI before the right of the Ruthenian people to have access to the Ruthenian Liturgy is respected. If a dozen priests and congregations banded together in a united request it would succeed very quickly. [And the RDL is so unpopular among our clergy and people it should be possible to quickly get dozens of priests and congregations to be part of an organized effort - sensus fidelum in action.]

This, unfortunately, will not address the issues with the translation and music. But requests to Rome to promulgate a �Liturgicam Authenticam� for the Eastern Catholic Churches would not fall on deaf ears. There is much work ahead.

S
S
We have already waited more than the 40 years. First *implement* the Ruthenian rescension, then let us see whether it needs revision. We have yet to implement the rescension as it was issued.

B
B
Indeed - to that extent, I wonder if the issue of the pre-conciliar Mass provides a close model. I think the restoration we need is to implement the Ruthenian Recension - with the leadership and encouragement of our own bishops. The status quo ante, in catechesis, music and liturgical praxis, is not necessarily what we want for the next forty years.

Jeff

S
S
Who's talking about the status quo ante? I said "implement the Ruthenian rescension." As it was issued.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.