The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
From time to time, as the new EC Parish Directory is being developed, conflicting information comes to light and/or questions arise. I have a strong suspicion that many of these points can be resolved more quickly by recourse to our highly informed members than by corresponding with eparchial or parish staff.

I'm opening this thread to provide an ongoing vehicle in which to have you prove me right, my brothers and sisters grin

Many years,

Neil

First question -

St Athanasius Byzantine Mission in Tulsa
The mission's website lists the address as 1782 E Apache St
The Archeparchy's website lists the address as 1313 N Xenophon St

E Apache is the physical location of the Latin church in which the mission meets; is N Xenophon the mission's mailing address?

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Yes. N Xenophon is Fr. Gary Sherman's home address and he receives the mail there.

The chapel is in the basement of St. Augustine RC Church. The Mission address of Apache is correct for the physical location of the church for directions to Divine Liturgy, etc.

F
F
Besides my own parish in Dublin, there are an indeterminate but significant number of parishes in Western Europe which have somehow eluded the people who publish directories. Can a forthcoming directory not come up with a reasonable way of listing these?

Fr. Serge

Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
Diak, my dear friend,

Thank you smile . I had a suspicion that you would be my source to confirm this. (I've gotten very perceptive at discerning these little nuances, but wanted to be certain, since there is no consistency whatsoever in the listings one finds.)

Father Serge,

Give me some time. I'm hoping to wrap up the Metropolia in a week or so and move on to the UGCC eparchies in the US.

That Dublin is listed is purposeful (besides that I wanted to curry favor with you, in case I ever get back to Dublin biggrin ). My goal is that the directory will be much broader in geographic scope than the former Unofficial Directory.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
W
W
I noticed when looking that monasteries aren't listed under the geographic churches. Will they be listed separately or have they just not been reached?

Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Wondering
I noticed when looking that monasteries aren't listed under the geographic churches. Will they be listed separately or have they just not been reached?

Wondering,

There is currently a listing of monasteries elsewhere on the site. Whether they'll be incorporated into the directory is still up for grabs, but the focus is the parishes and missions, so if included, it won't be before those are all input.

Many years,

Neil

W
W
For anyone traveling, a monastery might be the only Eastern Catholic presence in a given locale. There are so few of them that it would be nice to have them included in the same database, especially when searching geographically.

Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Wondering
For anyone traveling, a monastery might be the only Eastern Catholic presence in a given locale. There are so few of them that it would be nice to have them included in the same database, especially when searching geographically.

Few of them are so uniquely situated to be the sole opportunity for worship and with several hundred parishes still to be entered they aren't a priority at the moment. All things in time.

Many years,

Neil

Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
I have conflicting addresses for Patronage of the Mother of God in Beaverdale, PA

Cameron St (or Ave) vs. Stewart St - I'm guessing that one is the rectory, the other the church itself. Can anyone verify which is which?

Many years,

Neil

U
U
I thought St. Mary (Pokrov) Church in Beaverdale, PA was on Cedar Street, which I believe is the main street through Beaverdale? My aunt lives just down the street from the church and her address is Cedar Street.

U-C

John
John
Originally Posted by Irish Melkite
I have conflicting addresses for Patronage of the Mother of God in Beaverdale, PA

Cameron St (or Ave) vs. Stewart St - I'm guessing that one is the rectory, the other the church itself. Can anyone verify which is which?

The directory has:

Protection of the Mother of God Church
513 Cameron AV, P.O. Box 610
Beaverdale, PA 15921-0610
Phone: 814-736-9780

Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Ung-Certez
I thought St. Mary (Pokrov) Church in Beaverdale, PA was on Cedar Street, which I believe is the main street through Beaverdale? My aunt lives just down the street from the church and her address is Cedar Street.

Originally Posted by Administrator
Originally Posted by Irish Melkite

The directory has:

Protection of the Mother of God Church
513 Cameron AV, P.O. Box 610
Beaverdale, PA 15921-0610
Phone: 814-736-9780

U-C and John,

The Archeparchy lists Cameron Ave in its Catholic Directory listing, but Stewart St on its website. The preponderance of usage in other places was leaning toward Cameron, thanks to both of you for tipping the scales.

btw, U-C, Cameron runs into Cedar (which is indeed the main street).

Many years,

Neil

Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
Info is conflicting as to where St Vartan's Armenian Catholic Church (MI) is meeting to serve the Soorp Badarak.

Some sources indicate Sacred Heart Byzantine (Ruthenian) in Livonia; others, St Clare of Assisi (Latin) in Farmington Hills.

Can Deacon William or anyone else verify which is the current locale?

Many years,

Neil

C
C
Happened across your posting regarding St. Mary's Byzantine in Beaverdale, PA while doing some research relating to my hometown (Beaverdale) this evening, and thought I could clarify your inquiry.
St. Mary's Byzantine Catholic Church is located on the uppermost end of Stewart Street (at the corner of Stewart and Second Avenue). The (former) rectory is (was) located on Cameron Avenue (the main street running through our town). I am very well acquainted with the church, as the majority of my childhood was spent living in a house 3 residences up the street from the church/hall. Most recently, I had the privilege of meeting the church's new priest at my grandmother's funeral. My understanding is that he now presides over 4 Byzantine parishes in the area, including Sts. Peter & Paul (of which my grandmother was an 89 year member), St. Mary's (of your inquiry), and 2 others of which I am not familiar. I assume, however, that one is located in Portage, PA, since the contact information on your website for St. Mary's is a Portage (736), not a Beaverdale (487) exchange.
Hope this information was of some assistance to you.
--CHRISTINE :-)

U
U
Originally Posted by Christine Perla
Happened across your posting regarding St. Mary's Byzantine in Beaverdale, PA while doing some research relating to my hometown (Beaverdale) this evening, and thought I could clarify your inquiry.
St. Mary's Byzantine Catholic Church is located on the uppermost end of Stewart Street (at the corner of Stewart and Second Avenue). The (former) rectory is (was) located on Cameron Avenue (the main street running through our town). I am very well acquainted with the church, as the majority of my childhood was spent living in a house 3 residences up the street from the church/hall. Most recently, I had the privilege of meeting the church's new priest at my grandmother's funeral. My understanding is that he now presides over 4 Byzantine parishes in the area, including Sts. Peter & Paul (of which my grandmother was an 89 year member), St. Mary's (of your inquiry), and 2 others of which I am not familiar. I assume, however, that one is located in Portage, PA, since the contact information on your website for St. Mary's is a Portage (736), not a Beaverdale (487) exchange.
Hope this information was of some assistance to you.
--CHRISTINE :-)

The other two are SS. Peter and Paul in Dunlo PA and St. Michael's in South Fork PA. Two are served one weekend, the other two are served the following weekend.

Ung

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fr. Deacon Lance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.