The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
A friend of mine who is candidate to the subdeaconate asked me informations about that which is expressed on the title. Could someone help please?

F
F
I don't have a copy myself, but back in the nineteen-thirties Father Salaville wrote a book-length study on the diaconate in the Byzantine Churches. In the course of the book, it is possible that he also discusses the subdiaconate.

Fr. Serge

M
M
Philippe, I've sent you the Melkite synodal ruling on the service of a subdeacon--assuming your friend reads Arabic.

It's more about the detail of the service; perhaps not the high-level introduction your friend is looking for. It may, however, be useful down the track, should he decide to proceed in the service of a subdeacon.

Hi Matta,

the reply is a little dated but can I get a copy of this in Arabic? Thanks.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Fr Serge Keleher
I don't have a copy myself, but back in the nineteen-thirties Father Salaville wrote a book-length study on the diaconate in the Byzantine Churches. In the course of the book, it is possible that he also discusses the subdiaconate.

I've no idea if this is the text to which Father Serge, of blessed memory, referred - as the title subject suggests that its focus is the Divine Liturgies as a whole, but Pere Severien Salaville, A.A., (Augustinians of the Assumption), authored "An Introduction to the Study of Eastern Liturgies" in the late 30s. (The Augustinian Assumptionists were and are active in the presbyteral service of several Eastern Catholic Churches in Europe and Pere Severien was apparently a noted orientalist.) Although there are a few other works attributed to him, most in French with no indication that they were translated to English, none have titles specific to the diaconate - so, I'm guessing this may be it.

A half-dozen or so copies of the English language text that I've referenced are available at AbeBooks, most at very reasonable prices.

See here [abebooks.com]

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
M
M
Neil, have you stumbled upon any of those French-only texts online? As shipping to Asia is quite expensive, free texts (in any tongue) are always welcome!

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Messdiener
Neil, have you stumbled upon any of those French-only texts online? As shipping to Asia is quite expensive, free texts (in any tongue) are always welcome!

No, other than for sale at Abebooks. Not sure what the French terms of copyright are, but if you check their titles at Abebooks, you could then try Googlebooks (I think that's the name) and see if any of them are online there.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
P
P
For a reference to the liturgical role of the subdeacon see:

http://diaconateinchrist.typepad.co...-subdeacon-in-the-byzantine-liturgy.html

http://diaconateinchrist.typepad.co...deacon-in-the-constantinopolitan-tr.html

Salaville S., and G. Nowack. Le rôle du diacre dans la liturgie orientale. Paris-Athens: Institut Français d’Études Byzantine. 1962.

Sokolov, Kirill. A Subdeacon’s Manual. 2004.
[There may be a more recent edition. Check SVS Press.]

If there are particular questions for a service, I can be sent an e-mail via the blog Diaconate in Christ.

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.