The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
J
Job Offline OP
Cantor
OP Offline
Cantor
J
My question- didn't you say your priest had the nerve to take a collection at the very last Liturgy at HT? This was the same day the priests were 'protected' by armed guards, correct?

My answer - Yes, a collection was taken...however, I believe it was done so as not to "tip anyone off" about what was going to happen at the end...the parish administrator and eparchial chancellor stood by at the end and simply watched without saying a word as the people took their envelopes back...and yes it was the day they were "protected" by armed guards...

As far as I am concerned, the sale of the Smithtown property should bring in more than enough $$$$. How could a priest in all good conscience use such scare tactics to continue to take money from people he is trying to get rid of? Just how much blood money do they need?

Andrasi...unfortunately the sale of the Smithtown property should bring in more than enough $$$...however, the history of these property sales...is that they seem to be sold well below their market value...to get rid of the property and get their hands on the $$$...(eg...the combined 4 pieces of property that were sold in the HT closing almost 2 years ago was a steal...at $1 million in Fairfield County)

Chris

J
Job Offline OP
Cantor
OP Offline
Cantor
J
I read one of the more recent posts from the Newsday article where parishioners in Smithtown were told recently (paraphrased)they wouldn't be permitted to have a funeral in the church if they don't use their envelopes.

This doesn't surprise me at all...it forces people to either continue being a "cash cow" until it closes...or forces them to leave...in which case the case can be made "we didn't close you" you closed yourselves...I think what bothers me the most regarding this is these are the exact tactics that have been used before and continue to be used...and the evilness continues...I believe it was Meg who stated earlier in the thread...if they were honest...stated that the parish was going to close in x months/weeks...the eparchy needs the $$$...and explained why this was occuring...although people would still be upset...it could be tolerated...I know, I for one, and I'm not alone in the HT community...that the BCC could have held on to some of the members...the disgusting, unChristian tactics that are being used is the problem...the people are understanding if spoken to honestly...it appears that some one or some people still do not get it and believe they are untouchable and accountable to nobody...reminds me of Metropolitan Herman in the OCA...I continually pray for their souls...they may not be accountable to anyone here on earth...but they ultimately will be held accountable if not in this life...then in the next...

Chris Gombos

D
D
The Church of the Resurrection, Smithtown, bulletin from today September 16th, states the following:

"Income for the third quarter (April through June 2007) from weekly giving was ($14,941.27. For the same period insurance = $9,722.13; utilities = $6,811.47. Total expenditures for the same period were $45,825.01." Doing some quick accounting - That leaves $29,291.41.
Where is the accounting for these expenses? A tithe to the Eparchy would be $1,500.00. The sextant receives free housing so I doubt his salary is too much. Water bill wouldn't account for that either - HOW MUCH IS FATHER U'S SALARY?
Or is the church paying the Eparchy a back bill?
Solo deo gloria.

A
A
I know of several Roman Catholic dioceses that have had parishes merge or close in the last 10 years or so. Not once have I ever heard of supressions being done the way they've been done in Passaic. In all cases that I know of, the actual BISHOP visits the individual parishes and speaks with the people. Can you believe that?
One or two of their actual parishes have more members than this whole eparchy combined, yet somehow the people manage to get treated like human beings by their >>>bishop<<<.

As far as not wanting to tip off the parishioners at HT that this was their last Liturgy together, what a ridiculous and convoluted thought process!

Lately I am almost embarrassed to admit I am BCC. Is it any wonder we have NO credibility in the larger Catholic community?!

Originally Posted by andrasi
As far as not wanting to tip off the parishioners at HT that this was their last Liturgy together, what a ridiculous and convoluted thought process!

Lately I am almost embarrassed to admit I am BCC. Is it any wonder we have NO credibility in the larger Catholic community?!

The same thing was unfortunately done to the small parish that was served by our former parish priest as well. No warning, BAM! It floors me that there is NO pastoral sensitivity and care for the souls that are left behind. Driving by the church a month or so later after the closing, there was a dead bouquet of flowers by the outdoor St. Nicholas shrine. It broke my heart.

S
S
I have appreciated your words and prayers, but certainly didn't realize how similar our situations were/are until I took the time to read your past posts regarding HT. Of course, Eastern Catholic Life never mentions the parishes that have been shut down so unless someone had contacted us directly, we did not know. As HT was closed, the process against Resurrection was getting underway with the disgraceful dismissal of Fr. Dan. Who could have envisioned what was to follow? For sure, you and the others of similar torturous experience who have written are extended members of our Parish Family. In our instance, the EofP didn't even have the class to bring in someone of their own (Nas) to accomplish the dastardly deed gently; instead they went outside to a cold, bi-ritual individual with no people skills whatsoever to be the executioner.

Re. the eparchy needing the $$$, a look in its official website at the "administrators'" list of names (all with a string alphabet-soup letters attached) would indicate a real need for serious "pension" monies in the near future. Ergo, the property rich (obtained through the hard work of the parishioners) Cash Cows in Smithtown and elsewhere have to go. Reality Check: It's a business and we are expendable. Adjectives fail me!

J
Job Offline OP
Cantor
OP Offline
Cantor
J
It's a business and we are expendable.

I think this is a key point...unfortunately this is how members of the Body of Christ in the BCC appear to be viewed...My experiences tell me, that although there is a business aspect to running such a large organization the Church is NOT a business...I do understand with aging clergy...there are commitments that have been made to them for their lives of service that should NOT be taken from them...along with other scandalous financial burdens...but these things need to be taken care of with care and compassion for the faithful...not disregard for and contempt toward them...

Chris

S
S
The lack of "care and compassion" has left me hurt and exhausted. Methinks there will be a lot of answering therefor someday. In the meantime, I shall continue to work with my "Family" in Smithtown...but I plan to slide over to the Greek Orthodox Church in Port Jeff starting October for Divine Liturgy. (I guess I'll be making Spanakopita instead of Holupki! Opa!)

N
BANNED
BANNED
N
Spinrose, I know for a fact that you will never stop making holupki. It a real shame to hear that all of our efforts and hard work to build that parish has all been undone in such a short time and in such a systematic method. I am almost glad that my father is no longer around to see what is going on, but then again he does have a bird's eye view and all the answers that we do not.

Last edited by Father Anthony; 09/18/07 02:04 AM. Reason: Inappropriate comment deleted
S
S
And your Dad sees our tears and knows our pain. Stay well, Angel Voice.

A
A
I'm currently reading a book entitled "Hunky- The Immigration Experience" by Nicholas Stevensson Karas. Great book if you are interested in the daily lives of your ancestors back in "Old Country"

I'm only in a few chapters, but I can get a feel for the severely opressive, harsh lives of our Carpathian ancestors.
The book tells of Lords(pan)and their gentry who would find ways to confiscate family farms using trumped up charges, making it ultimately look like it was the farmers fault. One day they were farming, the next day they were out on the street.
In another chapter I read that the Polish RC Church, in an effort to gain territory, had Jesuits forcibly convert the Orthodox peasants to Roman Catholicism using such tactics as eviction, near starvtion etc. (No slam meant to our current RC readers, just a part of history)
Reading about the Jesuit activity in the Carpathian Mountains took my thoughts immediately to Smithtown and HT, LOL. I couldn't help remembering the current pastor is a Jesuit. Reading about the activity of the Lords (pan) and their gentry gives me some basis to make excuse for the harsh treatment being doled out to the good people in our supressed parishes. It is almost like history repeating itself in the small microcosm which is this eparchy. The difference is that we are not the simple, uneducated peasants of yesterday. Thanks to their sacrifices we are American citizens. If the BC church is intent on making itself a thing of the past we can choose to go elsewhere. Its a big country, not the small isolated village of yesteryear.

J
Job Offline OP
Cantor
OP Offline
Cantor
J
The book tells of Lords(pan)and their gentry who would find ways to confiscate family farms using trumped up charges, making it ultimately look like it was the farmers fault. One day they were farming, the next day they were out on the street.

Sounds familiar....

Thanks for posting that book title...I'd like to take a look at it...

Chris

I've read it, and it was a good book for the most part. He does have an Orthodox bias against Greek Catholics, and there are a couple of minor historical (ecclesiastical) details that were wrong or glossed over. But an overall good read about Rusyn immigrant life in early 20th America.

A
A

Chris,
The author was the grandson of the characters in the book. It highlights the trials of both sets of his grandparents and their families, growing up poor farmers in the Carpathian mountains and coming to the US to work in the mines and steel companies. I'm getting into it.

Like I said, I can't help comparing the present day tactics with these tricks of old.
Another comparison, LOL:
The villages were isolated from each other. No one knew what was going on anywhere else. It reminded me of the Congresses we used to have in PA. Between sessions we were able to talk to people from various parishes throughout the eparchy. Relating this to the book, it seems like the first thing you do in your control plan is isolate your villages. As Meg said, she had no idea HT was supressed in the same exact way. Thank God for the internet. I have to wonder if there are other parishes going through this that we have no idea about.

J
Job Offline OP
Cantor
OP Offline
Cantor
J
it seems like the first thing you do in your control plan is isolate your villages. As Meg said, she had no idea HT was supressed in the same exact way. Thank God for the internet.

Isolate people from each other...that's the only way these tactics work...I left the BCC when the parish closed...and believe it or not I am very pleased with the decision I made to go Orthodox...the only reason I keep on this issue is so the tactics don't get swept under the rug...Not only was Holy Trinity supressed in the exact same way but about 17 parishes prior to us were as well...I continue to stand against the evil that continues to occur...and pray for those going through it...I've been there and know exactly what you guys are going through...

Chris

Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.