The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (seven_mansions), 406 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Grateful
Grateful
Originally Posted by Alice
Either middle age does something to the memory, (mine), or you guys are all movie buffs, because I could only recall a few movies at first. crazy
LOL . . . I agree. My list was short because I couldn't remember so many. It's been interesting to see others' lists . . .and surprsing how popular the 1980s version of Flash Gordon is here.

Are all the movies all of you listed, movies which you watch often, or just movies you recall as being your favorites? confused
For me, they were just the movies that I could recall at that particular moment.

-- John

Originally Posted by harmon3110
Either middle age does something to the memory, (mine), or you guys are all movie buffs, because I could only recall a few movies at first. crazy
LOL . . . I agree. My list was short because I couldn't remember so many. It's been interesting to see others' lists . . .and surprsing how popular the 1980s version of Flash Gordon is here.

Flash Gordon...AAAAHHHHHH! Brings me back to high school when my friends and I would pile into the car and go see it at the local drive-in (remember those?) It played all summer and we went almost every weekend!

Are all the movies all of you listed, movies which you watch often, or just movies you recall as being your favorites? confused
For me, they were just the movies that I could recall at that particular moment.

-- John

Originally Posted by Edward Yong
Any recommendations for old Greek and Russian (and Ukrainian and other Slavics) films?

I already know Mat', Alexander Nevsky, Andrei Rublev, Ivan the Terrible...

A *new* film called 'Nifes' was quite good and historically accurate, about young Greek mail order brides sent over to the U.S. at the turn of the last century for immigrant Greek men who had established themselves in this country and wanted to get married. There was a mix of Russian, English and Greek in it. I don't remember if it had subtitles, but you understand Greek if I am not mistaken. A synoptic review:

http://stijlstek.nl/greek2me/2004/11/brides/

Alice

L
L
I, for one, can't wait for Elizabeth: The Golden Age this Friday!

But being the good Catholic that I am, I really wish that the Spanish would've dethroned that heretic queen and put a nice Catholic royal in her place! wink

I'm looking forward to the guilty feeling I'm sure will be felt when I cheer on Elizabeth and the English, even though I know I shouldn't!

There's just something about an empowered woman that is attractive to me. Maybe that's why I like Hillary! LOL.

Alexis

L
L
Whomever said The Queen (Helen Mirren) and Memento were both right on!

Alexis

By reading a collection of her writings, I came off with the impression that she had a brilliant mind. She was quite strategic and not too aggressive. She was very lucky for the storm in 1588 that blew apart the Spanish Armada. Even though English ships were smaller and faster, they could not have contended with the scale of that campaign.

I'll look forward to that movie too, though this is the first time I've heard about it.

Terry

Z
Zan Offline
BANNED
BANNED
Z
holy crap, I forgot to put "escanaba in da moonlight" on my list

Last edited by Zan; 10/11/07 05:52 PM.
A
A
Casablanca

R
R
Patton!

Can't believe I forgot "A Christmas Story" (based on my criteria of movies I've watched over and over). Although it took place a number of decades ago, so much of it reminds me of my childhood.

And the tongue stuck to the flag pole? Happened to my brother's friend only it involved a downspout.

Last edited by moncobyz; 10/11/07 08:03 PM. Reason: typo!!!
L
OP Offline
L

I don't think the world will ever see a better Elizabeth I than Glenda Jackson in Elizabeth R.

Ironically, when word of the Armada's destruction reached the Catholic refugee community in Rome, they shocked their hosts by showing their patriotism and loudly cheering. It was the duty of English Catholics themselves to restore their country to the faith, but sadly they had too much respect for royalty. Still I enjoy the story of how Mary I, upon the death of her half brother Edward VI, refused to flee to the continent, and instead with just a handful of supporters, raised her standard at Framlingham and rallied Catholic England behind her and restored the faith for a time.

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
Originally Posted by harmon3110

-- John

It's the Queen soundtrack!

"Flash! AHHHH!"

Grateful
Grateful
Pulp Fiction

Yes ! I loved that movie. And the lines ! I thought it was hilarious. It has got to be one my all time favorites!

-- John

Grateful
Grateful
The Queen soundtrack to Flash Gordon was outstanding !

Then again, Queen was just an outstanding band. smile

Thanks for stirring up some good memories, Dr. Eric. smile

-- John

J
J
Originally Posted by Terry Bohannon
It's funny that I've seen nearly all of these movies and have liked them.

Hero, you mean the version from Hong Kong?

Terry

Yeah, with Jet Li. I'm a major Hong Kong movie fan, especially of the old Shaw Brothers films.

Joe

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.