The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
L

I'll never understand this fixation some posters here have with monarchist rule. However if we really have to establish a royal family in America, I suggest the Osbourne's. And face it, they actually have some pretty good qualifications. They're foreign born, rich, out of touch with reality, messed up, yet still remain closer to being a family in the traditional sense than England's current royal family, and to the best of my knowledge do not suffer from hereditary diseases caused by inbreeding.

Might I suggest "His Imperial Highness Grand Duke Mikhail Pavlovich of All The Russias."

Alexandr (ducking for cover!)

Z
Zan Offline
BANNED
BANNED
Z
Originally Posted by carson daniel lauffer
More seriously, I wish we had a Catholic monarchy

I not picking on you or anything, but of all the countries that had Catholcism as their state relgion I can only think of three monarchs who were actually good Catholics: St. King Louis IX of France, St. Stephen of Hungary, Bl. Emperor Charles I of Austria.

When I think of Catholic monarchy I think of King Louis XIV and Cardinal Richelieu - I think it is safe to say they were a little lacking in the application of Catholic morality to your subjects department.

Nan Offline
Who is Ron Paul? One of my colleagues was actually thinking it was Ru-Paul.

Originally Posted by Zan
Originally Posted by carson daniel lauffer
More seriously, I wish we had a Catholic monarchy

I not picking on you or anything, but of all the countries that had Catholcism as their state relgion I can only think of three monarchs who were actually good Catholics: St. King Louis IX of France, St. Stephen of Hungary, Bl. Emperor Charles I of Austria.

When I think of Catholic monarchy I think of King Louis XIV and Cardinal Richelieu - I think it is safe to say they were a little lacking in the application of Catholic morality to your subjects department.

James II was a good Catholic, he just lacked common sense

Queen Isabella was an excellent catholic monarch.

One of the Spanish Pretenders--Sixto Enrique de Bourb�n-Parma--has my vote. He's an ultra-traditionalist Catholic.

At one time Spain did claim all of the New World west of 49'45'W Longitude. At the very least Florida, the Deep South, and almost everything west of the Mississippi should still be Spanish...

Who is Ron Paul? One of my colleagues was actually thinking it was Ru-Paul.

He's a 'veteran' Congressman from Texas; an OB/GYN by trade. Married for over 50 years. Pro-Life (unlike Ghouliani), Pro-Constitution (un-like most of the candidates), and Anti-War (un-like most of the Republicans and Mrs. Clinton).

Ron Paul Revolution!!!

More on Ron Paul as he sets GOP fundraising record:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21646939/

When I was in Phoenix, I saw "Ron Paul" signs everywhere!

Here is a little interesting Ron Paul moment with Hugh Hewitt...

Ron Paul and Hugh Hewitt with callers from Ron Paul supporters [townhall.com]

Gordo

L
L
When I was in Phoenix

WHY DO YOU TORMENT ME!:) I miss home...

L
L
The Romanovs or the Habsburgs* would be GREAT!

Alexis

*Not Hapsburgs!

Last edited by Logos - Alexis; 11/08/07 11:13 PM.
Ron Paul on the late Holy Father:
"To the secularists, this was John Paul II�s unforgivable sin � he placed service to God above service to the state. Most politicians view the state, not God, as the supreme ruler on earth. They simply cannot abide a theology that does not comport with their vision of unlimited state power. This is precisely why both conservatives and liberals savaged John Paul II when his theological pronouncements did not fit their goals. But perhaps their goals simply were not godly."

In other words, as St. Peter said, "We must obey God rather than men." -Acts 5:29

Z
Zan Offline
BANNED
BANNED
Z
Originally Posted by dwight
Queen Isabella was an excellent catholic monarch.

So we have James II and Queen Isabella plus my three - that makes 5. Out of hundreds of monarchs who have ruled over Catholic states in the history of Europe, we can only think of 5 good ones. Now do you see what I mean?

P
PrJ Offline
P
A similar question can be asked about pious Orthodox monarchs.

In terms of Russia, Nicholas II was pious (although, in the opinion of most scholars, he was politically inept). Some think Tsar Alexis was pious -- although the more we learn about him, the less there are who think this. We might want to add Alexander I -- but then again, he had a mistress. ... If we accept as fact the rumor that he went on to become a monk, then perhaps his piety came later in life and he shouldn't be counted as a pious monarch.

In terms of Constantinople, in some ways Justinian was pious (he kept the fasts, prayed frequently, etc.) but his policies against the Jews and monophysites were often barbaric. The last Constantine is revered ... but is that for his piety while alive or for the way that he died??

In terms of Serbia, we have Tsar Lazar ...

Any additions ...?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.