The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (griego catolico, Fr. Al), 341 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#261173 11/09/07 02:17 AM
P
PrJ Offline OP
OP Offline
P
This is an interesting video I discovered in preparation for my World Religions class. In it, a Muslim teenager explains why she wears the hijab -- what is fascinating is that she says that she wears the veil because of her great love for the Virgin Mary.

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20720

C'mon Father! And Komsomolskaya Pravda was about correcting common misconceptions about communism. This site is pure hagarene propaganda. The hagarenes have as their goal either the apostasy of all Christians to their demonic beliefs or failing in that, the destruction of us all.

Alexandr

P
PrJ Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I must admit that I cannot read the thoughts and intents of people's hearts the way that you seem to be able to :-)

Just to make sure everyone understands: I posted the video link because I thought it was interesting. I have no interpretations about her motives and am certainly not endorsing her presentations. I do believe however that it is possible for people other than Christians to be pious and committed to their beliefs, as wrong as they may be. I hope and pray that God shows them the same mercy as He will show me and I hope that I can show them mercy so that I can be worthy of His mercy to me.

As Matthew the Poor demonstrates in his writings, what makes the teachings of Christ unique is His insistence that we love our enemies and wish them no harm. It is our love for those who abuse us that distinguishes us as followers of Christ. For, as Jesus said, if we love only those who love us what credit is that?

Last edited by PrJ; 11/09/07 03:11 AM.
This is an interesting video. I think she is a very brave person because at least she is standing up for what she believes in. I also know that Muslims do hold Mary in very high regard. I read an article my Bishop Sheen, I think, and talked about Mary being a key factor in uniting Muslims to Christianity. While watching the video I looked up 1Cor 11:6 and she is right but I also looked at the notes on it and I read further into the chapter. Cor 11:13 says " Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head unveiled." The notes also say that Paul is addressing the issue in Corinth about Women participating in worship with their heads uncovered. It doesn't say "women have your heads covered at all times".

The other argument that I had a problem with was her argument that Mary wore a head covering when it wasn't popular and it wasn't the style to do so and she should know because she has seen many pictures. I just "googled" Mary Magdalene and Martha and Mary because I figured they lived in the time of Mary as well and some of the pictures show them in head coverings. I think there are three possible explanations: Either the Blessed Mother was in vogue and a trend setter, that was a popular style back then OR the artists who painted this pictures (many of whom probably didn't live around Mary's time) came up with their own interpretations.

I also didn't like the part where she basically said that women who dress immodestly practically invite rape. No one deserves to be raped. Ever. Period. That's not always the case either. My roommate last year was one of the most modestly dressed women I know and it happened to her. Most of the time rape doesn't come from a stranger who is leering at an immodestly dressed woman. It is done by someone who already knows the girl.

I still give her credit for trying to defend her beliefs I just think she could have found some stronger arguments.

C
CJ Offline
C
PrJ,

Matthew the Poor would be able to see a video intended to recruit people to Islam for what it is.

CJ

Dear Katie,

I really enjoyed your post.

It is always very good to read the opinions and perspectives of women like you-- and in your case, you are also young and contemporary, so, please....

Keep on posting!

In Christ's love,
Alice

P
PrJ Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I have been thinking about this ... St Gregory Palamas writes that there are two paths people follow in their spirituality. Some, he says, start with Jesus and end up loving his mother. Others, he says, start with Mary and end up loving her son. Either way, he asserts, it is impossible to love one without loving the other.

So I am excited to see anyone honoring the Virgin Mary. Even if they do not understand what they are saying or doing -- just the openness to Mary gives her an opportunity to work on their hearts to lead them to her Son.

And ... if you say that this cannot happen, remember the story of St Genesios who was making fun of the Christian sacraments and was actually converted through his own "farce". Remember, God always wins! As St Antony said, the only way the Evil One wins is he is able to frighten us!

God works in mysterious ways! As for me, anyone who says something nice about my mother has my thanks! As Paul says, "Some preach Christ out of honesty, some preach him out of jealousy ... what do I care -- so long as Christ is preached, I am happy."

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.